Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
ftballfan7
DIS Veteran

GAC abuse

I was at a retirement gathering today and the topic of Disney World came up. There weren't that many people there, and surprisingly 4 different people had been there in the last 2 months. I was surprised when someone I know, who is a generally well respected person started talking about how they went to guest relations and said that his wife had a bladder problem and got a card which was basically a fastpass for everything. He said this in such a way as to suggest that others do the same. He made it clear that there was nothing wrong with his wife and that they made up the story. I have long suspected that this is a theme park strategy which is often employed. I hope Disney does something to stop the rampant abuse of GAC cards. It affects us all, both those who genuinely need accomadations and those of us who have to wait longer because of the line cutters.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
ballarinamom
DIS Veteran

We were at Land at Thanksgiving and at City Hall a man asked for a GAC because neither he or his wife could wait in long lines. That's it! No medical explanation. And they got one!

Me (44 yikes!) , DH (46) , DD (11)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
respmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballarinamom View Post
We were at Land at Thanksgiving and at City Hall a man asked for a GAC because neither he or his wife could wait in long lines. That's it! No medical explanation. And they got one!
This upsets me because we are going to Disney in six days and I need a gac for my 11ds. He is autistic and bipolar but you can't tell he has anything wrong by looking at him. He can't be in crowded places for longer than 15 mins before a meltdown happens. I wanted the card so that we could wait in a separate quieter less stimulating place if need be....it so crappy when people abuse this system bc then we get stares when we use our card.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Unhappy

Disney has a reputation of putting in "perks" for park guest without fully thinking out what the ramifications are. (i.e. Fastpass, GAC, Free Dining) They put that card in to help communicate with the CM's at the ride what the requirements of the individuals are. By law, they can ask simple questions like what the problem is or what the individual needs, but they cannot ask for proof. If they make the mistake of denying someone the card and then find out that it was legit, it would easily be lawsuit time.

They have been pretty much ignoring the situation for years now as it slowly, but surely escalated to the disaster it is today. This week with the news that hit all over the country about people paying disabled people to go with them so they could bypass the lines and go to the front, should jar Disney into making the system more efficient and less inclined to be abused. I don't know how they can do it, but I know they need to do something. It will eventually solve itself because as soon as enough people decide that they should play the system, the longer the GAC card lines will become and it will no longer be worth it. Unfortunately, not before many people that REALLY need it are hurt by the process.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
ftballfan7
DIS Veteran

I think it is kind of ridiculous that the law doesn't at least allow them to ask for a doctor's note or something like that. I realize that would easily be faked as well, but at least people would have to put their lies in writing. Perhaps that would cut down on it some.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
ballarinamom
DIS Veteran

We saw on so many rides, the Handicapped line was way too long for those who really needed to get on the ride faster.it wasn't fair and defeats the purpose

Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
cab0ad
DIS Veteran

I don't understand why anyone, whether really using GAC for real reasons or "made up" ones, gets to ride the ride any sooner than people waiting in lines.

I DO understand that some might have a hard time waiting in the line for some reason. but why does this mean that they instantly get a fast pass to bypass all lines? Why not present your GAC pass at the line entrance, have the CM look at the current wait time that everyone is experiencing, somehow give a ticket for the GAC holder to come back later to join the fastpass line after waiting the same amount of time posted for everyone else (therefor making him wait the same amount of time but allowing the person to do so elsewhere to accommodate his disability). Then those needing to use it can and others would be discouraged from cheating the system because there would be no advantage whatsoever.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
ballarinamom
DIS Veteran

Disney HAS to fix this soon! It has been all over the Internet this week that folks with a GAC card are hiring themselves as "tour guides" giving their " customers "unlimited fast pass type access"

Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

I used to be part I a play group that went to Disney together. I was one of the only moms without a GAC. Some of them I know have special needs, others, I can only hope they weren't abusing it. Every single mom with stroller-aged kids had a stroller as wheelchair tag. The biggest perk for this was being able to take your stroller indoors instead of parking in places like the Living Seas. One of the moms got one and put it on my stroller so I could take mine everywhere too. I cut it off and quit going with that play group.

I also had a mom on another occasion tell me that her money-saving tip was to rent a wheelchair instead of a double stroller for her preschool-aged kids. She said it also helped move them through lines and got them better seating at parades.

Edit: My dad uses crutches or a wheelchair, and uses a scooter when he comes to Disney once a year. We don't get a GAC bc the scooter/wheelchair access is fine.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Last edited by Conservative Hippie; 05-17-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
wdisneyaholic
DIS Veteran

I just can't imagine having to stoop so low as to do this. Is it really worth it? Yeah you get ahead of people but you look like an ***. When I'm on vacation I don't want to wait in long lines but I also don't want to walk around all day feeling like I'm doing something wrong. But maybe they don't feel that way, and that's what's wrong with people.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
momofkids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0ad View Post
I don't understand why anyone, whether really using GAC for real reasons or "made up" ones, gets to ride the ride any sooner than people waiting in lines.

I DO understand that some might have a hard time waiting in the line for some reason. but why does this mean that they instantly get a fast pass to bypass all lines? Why not present your GAC pass at the line entrance, have the CM look at the current wait time that everyone is experiencing, somehow give a ticket for the GAC holder to come back later to join the fastpass line after waiting the same amount of time posted for everyone else (therefor making him wait the same amount of time but allowing the person to do so elsewhere to accommodate his disability). Then those needing to use it can and others would be discouraged from cheating the system because there would be no advantage whatsoever.
This might work for some disabilities, but not all. I guess you have to "live with" something like autism or a disability to understand it. When a person can only handle a few hours of park time a day, he/she would be lucky to get in 2 or 3 attractions a day with this system.

Plus, the GAC is not a fastpass. Sometimes the wait is longer than in the regular line. Not every GAC allows a person to bypass the line, and not every attraction has alternate entrances. Check out the disabilities forum. Most people who get GACs also use fastpasses and other touring methods. People without disabilities don't realize that those with them or parents of children with them would give up almost anything to be able to wait in regular lines.

Shame on people who abuse the system and shame on people who resent Disney's efforts to "level the playing field".
Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
ftballfan7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofkids View Post
Shame on people who abuse the system and shame on people who resent Disney's efforts to "level the playing field".
I agree with this sentiment in general, I just think due to the rampant abuse that the playing field is too easily tipped the other way. Some way to make it more difficult to fake or exagerate a need would help. Or perhaps by reducing the advantage that GACs usually provide would make it less attractive to game the system. Maybe calculate the average number of rides a typical guest can ride in a day, given time of year, crowd level etc. and have the card good only for that number of attractions (truly level the field). Maybe that is dumb, just kinda thinking as I type.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofkids View Post
This might work for some disabilities, but not all. I guess you have to "live with" something like autism or a disability to understand it. When a person can only handle a few hours of park time a day, he/she would be lucky to get in 2 or 3 attractions a day with this system.

Plus, the GAC is not a fastpass. Sometimes the wait is longer than in the regular line. Not every GAC allows a person to bypass the line, and not every attraction has alternate entrances. Check out the disabilities forum. Most people who get GACs also use fastpasses and other touring methods. People without disabilities don't realize that those with them or parents of children with them would give up almost anything to be able to wait in regular lines.

The GAC is not SUPPOSED to be a fast pass but from what I have seen, particularly over the last year, that is how they are being used 90% of the time. Some people do use them as intended,but many more insist they cannot wait in line and use them as an unlimited fast pass. Because Disney cannot legally ask WHY the guest needs a GAC or ask forany kind of proof, only what accomodations the guset needs there is no way to police abuse of the system as it stands. If they stop allowing GACs to be used as fast passes and start making everyone wait their turn the abuse will stop. If all th GAC gets you is an alternate place to wait our turn, there is no reason to want one if you don't need it.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
OhioWDWDuo
Mouseketeer

A family member of ours abuses theGAC
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I'm worried that stupid article now taught a bunch of new people how to work the system with a GAC.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: