Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
AliceandAriel
DIS Veteran

Best 'Bang for your Buck' Use of Dining Credits?

So the DBF and I just came back from Disney, and I'm not sure what someone slipped into his water, but he's talking about going back AGAIN THIS OCTOBER! Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted as all heck, but he threw me the biggest curveball when he said we'd stay on property, and to look into buying a dining plan for the both of us to better manage our spending for food.

My question is, what is the best 'bang for buck' areas in WDW when it comes to using Table Service dining credits? I have checked out BOG, and we want to do one morning at Chef Mickey in the Contemporary, but I'm not sure 100% on prices in October (we'd be going from Oct 27th-Nov 1st if that helps) so I've been estimating roughly what it ended up costing us this time for the Princess Breakfast in Norway. We don't want to use more than 1 credit per person per table service, so I know Cinderella's Castle is out, and Le Cellier, too, but that's no biggie. Just more or less thinking about the other places that will make it worthwhile to spend those precious Table Service credits between the two of us.

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
bookbunny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceandAriel View Post
So the DBF and I just came back from Disney, and I'm not sure what someone slipped into his water, but he's talking about going back AGAIN THIS OCTOBER! Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted as all heck, but he threw me the biggest curveball when he said we'd stay on property, and to look into buying a dining plan for the both of us to better manage our spending for food.

My question is, what is the best 'bang for buck' areas in WDW when it comes to using Table Service dining credits? I have checked out BOG, and we want to do one morning at Chef Mickey in the Contemporary, but I'm not sure 100% on prices in October (we'd be going from Oct 27th-Nov 1st if that helps) so I've been estimating roughly what it ended up costing us this time for the Princess Breakfast in Norway. We don't want to use more than 1 credit per person per table service, so I know Cinderella's Castle is out, and Le Cellier, too, but that's no biggie. Just more or less thinking about the other places that will make it worthwhile to spend those precious Table Service credits between the two of us.
What a great surprise to know that your DBF wants to return again. My DBF loved that first time he and I went that he too want to go again within 6 months.

It's a matter of what you like. Planet Hollywood has a good selection. Crossroads House of Blues, T-Rex, Tonys Town Square. Usually since my DBF is a big steak lover, we looked at all the places that sell steak. I enjoy seafood and fried chicken. Look through the dining plan info and look at the menu's each place has. Right down the ones that you want to try. Also take into account location. Do you want it in the same place you are at that day?

9/2013, 2/2013, 9/2012, 9/2005, 9/2002, 9/2000 - "POP Century"
9/1998, 9/1996 - "All Star Movie"
9/1994 - "All Star Music"
summer of 80's - Stayed with family

Dined @: Bubba Gumps Shrimp Co, Cape May Café, T-Rex, Crossroads at House of Blues, Fulton's Crab House, Cap n' Jack's, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe', Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show, Tony's Town Square, Teppan Edo, Hard Rock Cafe'......
bookbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
AliceandAriel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbunny View Post
What a great surprise to know that your DBF wants to return again. My DBF loved that first time he and I went that he too want to go again within 6 months.

It's a matter of what you like. Planet Hollywood has a good selection. Crossroads House of Blues, T-Rex, Tonys Town Square. Usually since my DBF is a big steak lover, we looked at all the places that sell steak. I enjoy seafood and fried chicken. Look through the dining plan info and look at the menu's each place has. Right down the ones that you want to try. Also take into account location. Do you want it in the same place you are at that day?
Between you and me (and the board) I think he may propose. He mentioned celebrating our three year anniversary together while there, and he's been talking about rings lately. It's got me so giddy just thinking about it!

Taking your advice, I think I may go through every place just to see if there was anywhere special I missed along the way. We definitely will do Chef Mickey's one morning, because I love Character Breakfasts despite the cost, and BOG seems to be a set-in-stone one for us, too. He eats almost anything- it's me that's kind of picky. I don't eat red meat or pork, and try to go very light on gluten/dairy if I can avoid it, but the DBF loves burgers and meat (not steak, makes things a little tricky!) and goes gaga for shrimp, so I try to plan around those easy things when it comes to hypothetical dining areas for us.

GRRRRRR, it is October already?!

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
ArmyVet80
Mouseketeer

There are plenty of 1 TS meal places. These are the places my wife and I have eaten at multiple times on our journeys to WDW..

Epcot: Marrakesh, Biergarten, Le Chef's de Paris, Rose & Crown, Teppan Edo.

DHS: 50's Prime Time, Sci-Fi Diner

AK: Yak & Yeti.

MK: Tony's, BOG, Liberty Tree

At the resorts: Sanaa

DTD: House of Blues, Raglan Road, Rainforest Cafe

Boardwalk: ESPN Club, Big River Grille and Brewing Works

We normally get the Deluxe Dining Plan and very rarely eat breakfast so we'll hit up the Hoop Dee Doo Revue (2 TS) and other signature/show places while we are there.

POFQ: June 2009
All-Star Music: Dec. 2010 thru Jan. 2011
CSR: Sept. 2012
POFQ: Nov. 2013
POFQ: Sept/Oct 2014

Last edited by ArmyVet80; 05-18-2013 at 04:45 AM.
ArmyVet80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
MartDM
DIS Veteran

To be honest, I think that taking the approach of "most bang for your buck" as opposed to "what would be most enjoyed" might be a mistake. I recommend you read about the restaurant theming and review the menus on AllEars.net. Decide which restaurants you'd really like to visit (be it for atmosphere, characters, or simply food you love) and make your ADRs there.

Particularly if you think this trip might end up having a more meaningful purpose, wouldn't you want to do your best to make sure you are setting the stage for the best possible memories and experience rather than trying to squeeze a few extra bucks of value out of dining?

All things considered, a higher value meal that was lackluster vs. a really enjoyable experience doesn't compare at all! Hope you have a fantastic trip!
MartDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
WhateverLolaWants
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I think having one or two Signature (2 credit) restaurants is bang for your buck because for a lot people, it's not the type of restaurant they would be willing to pay OOP for.

That being said, buffets and dinners vs lunches are a good value. Restaurants I would stay away from using credits for would be Beaches and Cream and Trail's End.

Trips

October '87, June '91, Summer '93, Summer '97, December '98, July '99, April '00, December '02, August '03, November '03, January - May '07 (College Program),
January '08 (WDW and Disney Wonder), February '08 (DL/CA), December '08, October '09, February '11, January '12, February '13, October '13,
December '13 and on - Florida Resident Annual Pass
WhateverLolaWants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran

Breakfast at CP before the park opens. It's magical walking into the MK before everyone else has arrived. Plus when you're done eating you've got a jump start on the crowds with lines and fast passes. Even if Pooh isn't your style, the breakfast is pretty darn good. .

2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Cindy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
Bribrittmom
Mouseketeer

We really enjoy the seafood buffet at Cape May at the Beach Club when we are doing the dining plan.
Bribrittmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
alice99
DIS Veteran

All the restaurants have nice (expensive, bang for your buck) meals.

We enjoy the experiences as much as the food. I'd focus more on that, rather than getting the most for my $$.

This is what I would do..... I would get reservations at Cinderella's Royal Table and Be Our Guest, for sure. If possible at this point. I could recommend an entire week of suggestions, but am sticking to, what I consider to be, the hilights.

My husband and I usually enjoy one signature meal per trip, it may use extra meal credit from your dining plan but....... We LOVE the Sci Fi Dine in Theater and Beaches and Cream, and pay ca$h for these (table service) locations because they are definitely reasonably priced and definitely NOT the most bang for my buck. We use the meal credits saved, and put them toward the signature restaurant.

As a side note, I do not believe LeCellier is worth shelling out 2 credits for a signature meal. My entire family has always enjoyed Chefs de France. Their filet mignon and accompaniments are superior to Le Cellier.... in addition to the other dishes which are better quality also.So, while in Epcot, there are so many choices of great restaurants, I wouldn't go out of my way to spend 2 credits in this park.
Wow, I really started rambling, sorry

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
alice99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bribrittmom
We really enjoy the seafood buffet at Cape May at the Beach Club when we are doing the dining plan.
We love Cape May. Great value on dining plan. One thing I would suggest is to have one ts every day except for your travel days. That way you have one extra credit for a 2 credit meal. We choose SoA because it's fun and gives me a chance to have a few beers. It's my let loose night. As a couple, you might want to do CRT or a true signature restaurant. With kids, I can not recommend any particular one, but many others can.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

I'm SOOO excited for you! I bet once you stay on-site and use the dining plan, you'll never want to do it any other way. I know not everyone agrees, but we LOVE it!

So BOG, both CS and TS, are wonderful values on the DP. Delicious food and you can't beat the ambience!

We think Coral Reef at Epcot is a really good use of a TS credit. Some people don't like it, but I really haven't figured that out. We have been several times and the food, service, and atmosphere is always really nice for us. It feels upscale for a 1 TS meal, IMHO. LOVE it!

Those are 2 I can think of offhand that I feel are a really good value. Have SUCH a good time!!!

Shannon
ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
mommycrawford
DIS Veteran

Fantasmic dinner package, and prix fixe dinner at Chefs de France are good uses of table service credits, as is Garden Grill, 1900 Park Fare dinner, and the other character dinners!

Do look at menus though, because a bargain that doesn't fit you is seldom a bargain.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

I know you are asking for TS ideas but don't forget your snack credits. Use them wisely and you can make a small meal and that could free up a credit if you decide to try something signature.

You can use your snack credits at the Food and Wine Festival in EPCOT IMHO that's the best use of a snack credit ever.

Terri
tluvstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvstink
I know you are asking for TS ideas but don't forget your snack credits. Use them wisely and you can make a small meal and that could free up a credit if you decide to try something signature.

You can use your snack credits at the Food and Wine Festival in EPCOT IMHO that's the best use of a snack credit ever.

Terri
That's a whole thread on its own. Dole whip and cinnamon rolls at MK, beignets at POFQ, babycakes in DTD.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
brertoad
DIS Veteran

We like Mama Melrose's and Via Napoli for italian food (Via Napoli is more authentic I think).

You should try 'Ohana, you DBF will flip for the shrimp, plus there is also beef, pork, and chicken too, plus side dishes. It's also a pretty fun experience.

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credits, disney dining plan, prices, table service, wdw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: