Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: California Grill or Flying Fish?
California Grill 18 69.23%
Flying Fish 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
goofy78
…sea monkey has my money… …yes, I'm a natural blue…

Which one?

California Grill or Flying Fish? Not even sure what the new menu at CG is going to be?

goofy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy78 View Post
California Grill or Flying Fish? Not even sure what the new menu at CG is going to be?
Wow that is SOOOOOO tough my two favorite restaurants and they switch daily haha

Have you been to either? Do you like seafood?

WDWFANCBIIIME is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
goofy78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFANCBIIIME View Post
Wow that is SOOOOOO tough my two favorite restaurants and they switch daily haha

Have you been to either? Do you like seafood?
Never been to either. Love seafood as well as sushi. Right now we have FF booked because CG isn't taking reservations yet. I'm not sure if I should cancel FF when CG opens up.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

Don't change it I LOVE California Grill but Flying Fish is really really great!

Try the - Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tempura Tuna-Vegetable Sushi Roll - Hijiki and Wakame Seaweed, Yuzu Tobiko, Wasabi Foam, with Sweet-and-Spicy Sauce $18.00

I also really love the Signature Flying Fish Cafe Entree Duo:
Char-crusted Angus NY Strip Steak and Potato-wrapped Red Snapper $47.00

Really FF is Fantastic

WDWFANCBIIIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
goofy78

Bump. Any more opinions?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

I voted for California Grill. While I really like both restaurants, I chose California Grill for the service. I have found the waitstaff at California Grill to be a big step up from Flying Fish.
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardimples View Post
I voted for California Grill. While I really like both restaurants, I chose California Grill for the service. I have found the waitstaff at California Grill to be a big step up from Flying Fish.
I would definitely agree with this statement.

Can't go wrong with either BUT, to be honest, we have a favorite server at CG. We have been with him for the past 7 years so maybe that's what tips the scales for us but I thinkCG takes a few more risks than FF and has a better wine cellar.

Have to admit I am scared I won't be happy with the changes coming post-rehab at CG but only time will tell.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Comparing just the food - my family prefers Cali Grill, by far.

Add in the view - and there is no longer a comparison.

Add in the fireworks with the view - CA Grill becomes a 'no-brainer'.

But if we were staying along the Boardwalk - Flying Fish would come in second to blueZoo. Of course, if using Disney Dining, Flying Fish is your better option (blueZoo is not part of Disney Dining, but takes TiW).

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Three cats
DIS Veteran

We are definitely in the minority but did not care for Flying Fish at all. On the other hand, we do love California Grill.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

I might give the food at FF the edge, but the ambiance at CG is incredible. Plus, the sushi at CG is great if you are in the mood for that.

Given that the food is great at both, I would probably revolve your decision around where you would rather be. Will you have already spent a lot of time around the MK area? You might enjoy spending a night on the boardwalk instead and watching the various street performers. If you do not have any other MK restaurants planned, I would pick CG for that incredible view of the MK and fireworks. Truly magical if you have a table right next to the windows.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
goofy78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 View Post

Have to admit I am scared I won't be happy with the changes coming post-rehab at CG but only time will tell.
That's what I'm scared of too. Even though we haven't eaten there before, I'm going by the old menu. If the new menu is very different from the old one I'm not sure if we should still give it a try.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: