Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
stoma618
First Time Cruiser

Smile Weather in Western Caribbean in April/May

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the weather "should" be like the end of April beginning of May in Cozumel and Cataway Cay?

My family is booked on the 5-night cruise April 27, 2014 and I am wondering if it will be warm enough to swim and/or raining all of the time.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Tinknalli
DIS Veteran

Not sure if it is typical , but last year we did a Western in April and it rained in every port except Castaway Cay. The rain did not last the entire day on any of the islands. It was raining when we arrived in Cozumel and by the time we were ready to head out in the jeep we were able to take the top down. Grand Cayman was a light rain that cleared up and Costa Maya was a good downpour and then cleared up. It also rained on Pirate night and the early Pirate show with Mickey and the gang was moved into the atrium. The captain found a clear spot for the later show and fireworks. Even with the rain it was still warm day and night and it did not put a damper on our fun.
2/98 All Star Music, 5/00 Port Orleans, 01/05 All Star Movies, 04/07 Pop Century, 10/08 Port Orleans Riverside, 04/10 Port Orleans French Quarter, 04/12 Disney Fantasy and Port Orleans Riverside, 04/14 Pop Century and Disney Fantasy

Tinknalli is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

We didn't visit Castaway Cay but did Cozumel on our Magic Western last week. Weather was absolutely perfect the entire cruise!!! In Cozumel, it was high 70s-low 80s and clear. We did snuba and Scuba in cozumel. The water temp was a bit on the cool side but we quickly got use to it and when getting out of the water, air temp was so nice we weren't the least bit chilly. Couldn't have asked for better weather!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
KLK622
Mouseketeer

We just returned from the 4/27 Western Fantasy sailing and it was very nice! Cozumel was perfect (mid 80's and partly sunny) and so were most of our days at sea (we did have one late afternoon thunderstorm that was really cool to see).

Storms and rain were predicted for our Castaway Day, but they ended up blowing through early in the morning so it was super windy most of the day and many excursions were cancelled, but it ended up being sunny and in the high 70's, low 80's. They told us that it isn't typical weather for this time of year, but that they do have about 30 days a year where it is stormy/rainy/bad weather.
KLK622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
thdarragh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoma618 View Post
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the weather "should" be like the end of April beginning of May in Cozumel and Cataway Cay?

My family is booked on the 5-night cruise April 27, 2014 and I am wondering if it will be warm enough to swim and/or raining all of the time.

Thanks!!!
We are on the Fantasy Western Caribbean trip over Spring Break next year. From my extensive climitalogical research, it's one of the best times to cruise as far as weather is concerned. Warm temps, but not extremely hot (mid to upper 80's), very little rain and ocean temps in the upper 70's to low 80's. I tracked the weather this year during the same week and it was spectacular. Not that this year's weather means anything for next year, but as far as "normals" or "averages" go, it's very good for weather. Of course you pay extra for that time of year.
thdarragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
stoma618
First Time Cruiser

Thanks everyone!!! I have also been doing my climate searches online, but it helps to hear directly from someone who has experienced it. This is our first cruise and my DH and boys are not big fans of cold water. I grew up around a lake that was fed from snow run off and NEVER got warm, so it doesn't bother me too much.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
disneylove5
Earning My Ears

We sailed on the Fantasy to the Western Caribbean on 4/13/13 and had seven days of sunshine and temps in the low to mid 80's. Absolutely beautiful weather for a cruise.
disneylove5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
lovedmy1stcuise
Earning My Ears

Last year we went the last week of April, the weather was perfect every day.
lovedmy1stcuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
stoma618
First Time Cruiser

Sounds like we picked a great time of year then!!! I am so ridiculously excited that I am having trouble concentrating on anything else....I think I need to simmer down a bit since it is still almost a year away....LOL....
Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoma618 View Post
Sounds like we picked a great time of year then!!! I am so ridiculously excited that I am having trouble concentrating on anything else....I think I need to simmer down a bit since it is still almost a year away....LOL....
I think you picked a great time to sail . We did the Western last year in May & the Weather was gorgeous, we had a bit of rain in Costa Maya, when we did the tour of the ruins. But it was sunny by the port. Go figure
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
jm106
DIS Veteran

we sailed 2 weeks ago on APril 27, wonder to Cozumel and CC. It spritzed for 2 minutes once. The rest was great and sunny. Water was as some put it refreshing, I call it TOO cold. My kids got in and I suffered trying to snorle until I realized how far it was but aside, it was pretty cool water. The air was low-mid 80s.

jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: