Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Saloli27
Mouseketeer

POP or Animation?

We visited Disney World in 2012 and stayed at POP we loved it! We had a great time in the resort. But now we are looking into visiting disney in May of 2014 and thought of staying at Art of Animation. We didnt have line issues or anything like that at POP. Would we have those issues at Art of Animation? What are some pros and cons? Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I was at AoA in October 2012. The theming is INCREDIBLE. You really MUST visit if for no other reason. But my overall review was not positive.

This resort is big and it is a hike to the food court and bus stops. I just completed a half marathon, so I *don't* mind walking, but this was a hike. We had a senior with mobility issues, so it it was more pronounced in our situation.

There seemed to be more "room noise" at this resort than AS--and I am a heavy sleeper. Very aware of babies crying in rooms and doors opening and closing all around. We were on the second floor. In the future, I will ask for a top floor room.

Bus service was good to/from parks. We did not go to DTD. All the CMs were super nice.

The REAL negative is the food court. It has a terrible layout and it is just BEDLAM. The queuing lines are not nearly as long as they need to be. Service was sluggish and I can't tell you why. It seemed a bit understaffed, but not terribly so. It took 10-15 minutes (one time 20 min) to get through the lines and get food, then stand in line again to pay. By the time you are seated, the food is tepid. Then you have to get silverware, drinks, find a table, etc. The noise level is HORRENDOUS even at non-peak times. And the traffic flow design (WHAT traffic flow design??) is very poor. There is no real flow pattern.

Seating is ample, which is nice. You get real plates and silverware which is good news/bad news. I found that I bristled at having to so bus my own table. You have to try to get the trash and remnants into a trash receptacle with a too small door that is spring loaded to close. Then you sort of recycling and the dishes in one bin and flatware in another. It reminded me WAY too much of bussing tables in a restaurant.

Food quality was OK but not remarkably better than AS, which is what I had hoped for... The food "looks" better than it tastes. Naan bread is VERY good and I really enjoyed the build your own fruit bowls and yogurt/granola bowls for breakfast.

Mousekeeping was fine.

Stick w/ Pop, you'll be glad you did.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
WendyLou
Mouseketeer

Wondering the same thing here. We're booked in May for Pop since discounts wouldn't apply to LM rooms but really wondering if my DS 9 and DS 2 would like AOA that much better?
WendyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
mickeygirl78
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at both and like both resorts.

The reasons my family prefer pop are: aoa standard rooms are too far and rarely offer discounts. We always go during free dining and that's too big of a discount to give up.

The theme at aoa is cute, I really enjoyed the resort. We had no complaints about the food court, everything was great. I loved the burgers for breakfast.

I have had many great visits at pop and am planning to stay there again in September.

I don't think you can go wrong with either resort.
mickeygirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: