Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #76
jamrupe71
Earning My Ears

I would prefer to keep Carsland in DCA. Mainly to give me a reason to go to California. I would prefer some unique experiences on both coasts.
I would like to see a Star Wars expansion at DHS. I wonder what they would do with the Osbourne lights. If anything happens in DHS the Streets of America and the stunt show are prime real estate that should be demo'ed.

I like the potential that Avatarland could bring. Animal Kingdom is an immersive park already. It could use another big draw attraction though. If Imagineering can pull off what they are proposing it will be great.

Does anyone know the licensing agreement that Universal has with Marvel?
jamrupe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #77
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbe1936 View Post
Visited DHS last night to see the dancing lights. While grabbing a snack for my DDs, I noticed the cups now have the Car Land logo along with other attractions. It can't be long now!
I wouldn't get too excited about that. Disney merchandising has been very sloppy about such things for many years now. Walk into any DL gift shop and I can guarantee you'll find several t-shirt designs with WDW's Cinderella Castle on it. At either park, you'll see designs with the wrong monorail style, attractions only located no the other coast, etc.

They aren't selling Cars Land cups at WDW because Cars Land is opening any time soon. They're selling Cars Land cups at WDW because they want to sell cups at WDW...and they're simply too sloppy/lazy/ambivalent to make modifications to the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrupe71 View Post
Does anyone know the licensing agreement that Universal has with Marvel?
Generally speaking, unless Universal opts-out of the agreement or Disney decides to buy them out, don't expect Marvel characters at WDW anytime soon. By all accounts the agreement exists in perpetuity. As long as Universal wishes to continue paying the licensing fees, Disney must honor the agreement.

Only certain character "families" are covered by the agreement, but it's pretty much everyone you would recognize: Avengers, X-Men, Spider Man, Fantastic Four, etc. Main heroes and villains.

There's a chance WDW could someday build around more obscure heroes not included in the US/IOA licensing. Guardians of the Galaxy comes to mind. But those characters would have to develop a significant following before Disney would consider such an investment.

The agreement only covers theme parks east of the Mississippi so adding Marvel to Disneyland is certainly a possibility. There are several other threads here discussing the Marvel contract in great detail if you want to read more.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #78
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
The question is now many new bodies are we talking about?

WDW already has a Star Wars presence. And it has Mickey & Minnie, the Princesses, Pirates of the Caribbean, Aerosmith, animals, Epcot's World Showcase...and much more.

How many people are out there thinking: "Walt Disney World doesn't really have much to offer my family but if they added a full Star Wars theme park, THEN I would be convinced to go."

With regard to Universal and Harry Potter, yes there was a dramatic upturn but US' attendance numbers were always much lower than WDW. Before HP, IOA was drawing less than half the number of guests as Hollywood Studios and about 1/4 as many as the Magic Kingdom.

Several years after WWoHP opened, IOA is still about 25% UNDER Hollywood Studios. There are STILL significantly more people going to WDW's most neglected theme park.
For the record-- I am not saying they need a star wars park-- just that they could probably increase the general head count by creating more available space I E a new park.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #79
mill4023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
How many people are out there thinking: "Walt Disney World doesn't really have much to offer my family but if they added a full Star Wars theme park, THEN I would be convinced to go."
I think it would be more like: "Whoa, there is going to be a Star Wars theme park? That sounds awesome! We should go. And since we are going to be there, let's stay a few days and check out Disney World too"

I think there are millions of people around the world who are Star Wars fans, but not necessarily Disney fans. I also think there are a lot of people who think their kids have outgrown Disney, so they choose Universal or some other vacation that they think is more appropriate for older kids. Especially families with boys who aren't into Princesses and think Disney is for little kids. And I think there would be a lot more adults without kids who would be more interested in going to Disney World if it had a Star Wars park.
September, 2007 - Pop Century
June, 2011 - Indian Creek Villa

Fun family games for a road trip

The 9 best iPhone apps for a road trip
mill4023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: