Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #46
Mike Mouse
Earning My Ears

Although the renderings looked cool, they need to walk away from the whole avatar project. I understand its the most profitable movie ever but it was one movie that was years ago. I think the avatar popularity faded long ago. Star wars land would make them soooo much more money and makes more sense as far as endless possibilities, already having star wars precense and making the new moviea. I know new avatar movies will come out but anyone who thinks it will surpase star wars is delusional.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #47
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mouse View Post
Although the renderings looked cool, they need to walk away from the whole avatar project. I understand its the most profitable movie ever but it was one movie that was years ago. I think the avatar popularity faded long ago. Star wars land would make them soooo much more money and makes more sense as far as endless possibilities, already having star wars precense and making the new moviea. I know new avatar movies will come out but anyone who thinks it will surpase star wars is delusional.
I don't think it matters wether Star Wars is a better film or not, they have decided to go with Avatar as AK needs something added to it.

I don't get why people keep complaining Disney are not using your money or time to fund it! So why does it matter?

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #48
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu View Post
I'm excited an anxious to see new things at Disney - I really want to have the joy of discovering new and exciting things so I'm amped up every time I hear about Carsland, or Star Wars land, or Avatarland - all of which are either announced (Avatarland) or seemingly credible/logical (Starwars Land).

The Studios needs some serious redos (according to most people) and Carsland makes sense. Star Wars Land - or at least some major starwars attractions, restaurants, etc. seem like a no-brainer given the new movies and enduring popularity of the franchise. And Avatarland seems to be moving forward despite the haters (I'm not one).

Yet... Can Disney do all of this? They just spent half a billion on Fantasyland and I take it the spent something like triple that on FP+.

I can't see them NOT doing some variation of all three (cars/SW/avatar) yet that seems like crazy cash investment in a short time frame.

I can't see them touching the Studioswith a major renovation/addition until Avatarland is complete or close to completion. Avatarland, is unfortunately official, real, and happening and even though the rumors continue regarding the studios, I think they will simply be that, RUMORS until at least 2016/2017.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #49
grimb
Earning My Ears

I think not a thing will happen to any other park but animal as long as the magic band ff plus is not running at 100% and making money. I hate to say this but the early mike Eisner days look great at this time
grimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #50
Mike Mouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea

I don't think it matters wether Star Wars is a better film or not, they have decided to go with Avatar as AK needs something added to it.

I don't get why people keep complaining Disney are not using your money or time to fund it! So why does it matter?
And hollywood studios doesn't need anything added to it more than animal kingdom?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #51
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mouse View Post
And hollywood studios doesn't need anything added to it more than animal kingdom?
They both need additions-- and they are starting with AK. No where in the post you quoted does it say HS does not need an addition.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #52
Mike Mouse
Earning My Ears

I do agree that both need additions. I love animal kingdom but to me it does always seem to be missing something big. After hitting the safari, and EE area, I'm kinda ready to hop to another park. Hollywood studios just needs an identity as it seems to be going everywhere possible. And like others may disagree, I don't think carsland needs to go there. I'm hoping 10-15 years down the road, they open a dedicated pixar park.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #53
wdwgreg
Mouseketeer

Id love a Star Wars Land, but built out from where the park currently is so would have to make some mods to the car park (as i dont feel dhs could affordto lose attractions such as Muppets or the space for the osborne lights), and entrance road,

with maybe an e ticket such as tie fighter/xwing dueling coaster,
maybe a sitdown attraction either show or slow moving ride ala energy adventure,
Plus one other type attraction that is suitable for all family

giving you 4 attractions in the land plus the below, would defiently ad a good chunk of time to the average guests time in the park
Retheme Backlot express to the Cantina maybe similar to BOG restuarnat, with quick service lunch, and sit down (character) meal in the evening, plus maybe another adult bar/pub that couyld serve soem of the concotions that we see in SW
Maybe some kind of feature using the magic bands, where you 'join rebel alliance/emipre Or New Republic/whatever they choose for new movie (please Thrawn) that effects your options on other attractions slightly

For the rest of the park, find something for the sounds dangerous building and get rid of American Idol show and replace, maybe with some kind of show/interactive experience about movie making through the ages and maybe some sneak previews of upcoming films, which along with Indian Jones stunt show/secret giveaway and maybe pulling the great movie ride into echo lake area would give the park some of its old 'studio' essence back and would at least give some more generic movie presence to the park which would slightly compensate for the change of purpose form a 'working' studio

If beauty and the Beast show is to be replaced i hope it is with Frozen as opposed to Tangled, the songs from Frozen are just better and i think the story would lend itself better to the format as well

GET RID OF THE RANDOM HAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD

The Little Mermaid can go she has enough space at MK, and they could use another property there that is popular but doesnt have space, Pocahontas/Mulan/Sleeping Beauty/Rapunzel etc

Could the building next to TSMM be used to double the capacity such as Dumbo, or is this building already used, does the ride use this space already?, if there has to be a pizza planet then it should be in this area

Stunt show and Backlot tour can both go, the stunt show is now a bit old and doesnt draw the crowds it did as new, it was a good show, but may have reached the end of its life, and the backlot tour tours an imiganary backlot that exists just for the tour, hardly a great tour.

How about instead of a cars land mk2 in this area it was rethemed to another movie that has wide appeal and becomes monstropolis, you could have the door coaster (probably as an indoor ride, using similar to spiderman tech, and you could have the doors randomised like star tours so each ride is different, you could have an interactive show based on the scare lessons at university, move the laugh floor here from Tommorow land, some other c class ride and a restaurant and you have another complete land

Add in another attraction at the mupppets maybe a dark ride, and retheme the restaurants as someone suggested earlier and you have a complete mini land

plus there is still all the area behind sunset boulevard/animation courtyard for future expansions (Marvel if they ever are allowed to build)
wdwgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #54
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

Original Question from OP:
'What is Disney capable of doing'

Answer:
NOTHING unless they are prepared to invest in exciting new themed attractions in their US parks.

Since it sounds like Star Wars Land is now on indefinite 'hold' this is yet another example of Disney's arrogance. They're confident US park theme attendance will remain strong whether they invest or not - so what limited investment they have will go China's way
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #55
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsJez View Post
Original Question from OP:
'What is Disney capable of doing'

Answer:
NOTHING unless they are prepared to invest in exciting new themed attractions in their US parks.

Since it sounds like Star Wars Land is now on indefinite 'hold' this is yet another example of Disney's arrogance. They're confident US park theme attendance will remain strong whether they invest or not - so what limited investment they have will go China's way
Capable... Practically anything
Willing...almost nothing

You hit the nail on the head...they don't need to do anything because attendance continues.
Wdw is no Disneyland or china or even Paris...it is a cash cow that has churned out bucks...and more importantly profits...forty 40 years.
It's a locomotive that never runs out of fuel.

They are resting on laurels and can do so for the foreseeable future. And we (myself included) all keep going.
Say what you will...but it's still the largest,best put together game in town.

We've all settled...and the defectors are too few
To dent the bottom line... Which is the only driver considered.

Why is anyone surprised? They're gonna let James Cameron use their ground to build what he wants...and they are going to bleed that construction for PR for 5 years.
And then they'll pack their giftshops with new Star Wars junk and collect high profit sales.

This is like titanic (in several ways... But I'll comment on just one)...you are fooling yourself if you don't accept that the ending is what it is
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #56
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Am I the only one that feels as if Disney is entering another "dark era" in it's history?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #57
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
Am I the only one that feels as if Disney is entering another "dark era" in it's history?
Too early to make that call, IMO.

To those of us who follow Disney news religiously, MDE currently appears to be something of a muddled mess. But as conceived, it's an overall technological improvement program unparalleled in the theme park industry. There's a lot of "wow factor" in the Magic Bands, touch-to-enter, interactive queues, smartphone apps, etc.

Of course, that's only true IF everything works AND it helps to enhance the park experience. And the jury is still out on that one.

It's been a long time since WDW added an "E" ticket, but they have done a decent job in recent years of refreshing / enhancing older attractions. Spaceship Earth, Star Tours, Test Track, Phineas & Ferb game at Epcot...all have received a little love.

I can't see Disney going 3 years before Avatar / Pandora opens with nothing new added to the parks. The question is what can they come up with to fill 2014-2016.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #58
larry_poppins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Capable... Practically anything
Willing...almost nothing

You hit the nail on the head...they don't need to do anything because attendance continues.
Wdw is no Disneyland or china or even Paris...it is a cash cow that has churned out bucks...and more importantly profits...forty 40 years.
It's a locomotive that never runs out of fuel.

They are resting on laurels and can do so for the foreseeable future. And we (myself included) all keep going.
Say what you will...but it's still the largest,best put together game in town.

We've all settled...and the defectors are too few
To dent the bottom line... Which is the only driver considered.

Why is anyone surprised? They're gonna let James Cameron use their ground to build what he wants...and they are going to bleed that construction for PR for 5 years.
And then they'll pack their giftshops with new Star Wars junk and collect high profit sales.

This is like titanic (in several ways... But I'll comment on just one)...you are fooling yourself if you don't accept that the ending is what it is
Are you implying that WDW is going to sink like the Titanic did? Like Bethlehem Steel did? Or just don't expect any new expenditures from WDW management anytime soon? The latter I definitely agree with!

Larry
larry_poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #59
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_poppins View Post

Are you implying that WDW is going to sink like the Titanic did? Like Bethlehem Steel did? Or just don't expect any new expenditures from WDW management anytime soon? The latter I definitely agree with!

Larry
I was referring to the movie titanic... One because it was James Cameron...and two because everybody knew the ending.

The comment I heard over and over again was "then you realize...the ship is sinking"

That annoyed the heck outta me.

My point was... That's based on the "Iger era" patterns of only spending when there is a public or Investor black eye to fix.

Say this for Eisner... He had the heart of a production exec (which he was)... And creativity sells product. Unfortunately he lost his mind and burned out

Iger...is a network exec...the guy in charge of reigning in the creative forces. I don't blame him and give him credit for his Hollywood success... But he is the text book Hollywood suit.

No offense, Bob

Anyway... Lack of investment=profit=stock value=golden retirements for the execs

If you don't understand that... This discussion is gonna be Greek to you

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 12-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #60
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
I think that we've been in it since AK... They really are having success in spite of themselves.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: