Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #31
DWJoshua
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
The very history of Disney should alleviate any concerns about them not expanding, and building new attractions. Can you honestly think of any time where they have not been building something new? Disney will continue to push DVC, yes, but that's completely separate from new attractions.
Sorry I'm jumping in a little late on this conversation, but I had to respond to this comment. Recent history is not very reassuring in this area....with four theme parks in Orlando, opening one truly new attraction every few years is not enough. 7DMT and the Little Mermaid ride are the only new attractions they have opened since TSMM opened in '08. That's a LONG time between attractions.

Looking forward, once 7DMT opens, we're looking at 3-4 years before anything else opens.

With Universal dumping boatloads of money into their parks, I just don't see how Disney can be so complacent.

Past Trips:
Nov. '95 * Dec. '98 * Dec '01 * Mar. '04 * Jan. '05 * Jan. '07 * Apr. '07 * Jan. '08 * Oct. '08 * Oct. '09 * Jan. '10 * Jan. '12 * Dec. '13
1/06-5/06 - WDW CP
DWJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJoshua View Post
...with four theme parks in Orlando, opening one truly new attraction every few years is not enough. 7DMT and the Little Mermaid ride are the only new attractions they have opened since TSMM opened in '08. That's a LONG time between attractions.
I think most WDW fans would agree with that the entire Fantasyland project was a bit...misguided...in its conception. They spent $700M (or whatever the figure ended up being) for what amounts to 3 new attractions: Mine train, Mermaid and Belle story time. It's high on flash and low on substance. Once that project somehow squeaked through Imagineering, the die was cast for several years to come. Disney was never going to break the bank and pour even more dollars into the parks despite an ill-conceived Fantasyland.

That said, the last few years have brought a few new experiences. Star Tours and Test Track received major modifications--so much so that they are practically new experiences. The interactive games at Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom debuted. There have been some other modest additions like Sum of All Thrills, American Idol and the Jack Sparrow experience at DHS.

At this point, I believe the next 5 years will bring more to the parks than the last 5 did, but those attractions aren't going to materialize overnight.

Quote:
Looking forward, once 7DMT opens, we're looking at 3-4 years before anything else opens.
Maybe...maybe not. Really depends on how quickly they move on Star Wars at DHS. Some of the rumored plans have involved repurposing / retheming the Backlot Express restaurant and Sounds Dangerous. But those would be modest additions while something more expansive is still in the works.

We probably are 3-4 years away from anything worthy of "E" ticket status.

Quote:
With Universal dumping boatloads of money into their parks, I just don't see how Disney can be so complacent.
Here's the rub...it doesn't appear that anything Universal has done has hurt Disney. Last week Disney reported its financials for the 2013 fiscal year (ended 9/30) and they reported all-time record attendance at WDW.

We look at the money Universal has spent and their attendance increases and the knee-jerk reaction is to think that Disney is hurting. But they really aren't.

You'll hear many WDW fans say "I visited Universal for the first time ever, so Disney lost some of my money due to their lack of investment." But there are also people coming to Central Florida specifically to visit WWoHP who will also spend a couple days at WDW since they are in town.

Investment is always risk/reward for Disney. If they spend $250 million to build new attractions, and annual attendance only goes up 250-500k, it's gonna take a long time to recoup the investment. (Don't forget that after construction there are still significant operating costs associated with every attraction.)

For the moment, Disney attendance is purring right along without the heavy investment on new attractions.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #33
DWJoshua
Mouseketeer

@tjkraz - I totally agree with most of what you say above. I know that there are rumblings about some big announcements coming soon (e.g. the title of this thread). My question is whether Disney can take those announcements and turn them into reality in a reasonable amount of time. NFL is taking forever to complete and other than the mine coaster, I'd say it's pretty mediocre. The theming and atmosphere they have created is some of the best in any of the parks, but the substance is severely lacking.

I'm actually not a huge fan of only expanding with E-tickets, which many on these boards seem to be looking for. I just think that Disney has some catching up to do with investment in DHS, Epcot, and DAK. All three parks need work and not just through adding an e-ticket or two.

And finally, I think there's a big difference in the type of expansion and investment that Disney does in comparison to what we're currently seeing at Universal. Disney tends to invest for long-term gains. I doubt that there is much Universal could do to truly hurt Disney's numbers in the short term. Long term, however, they could do damage if Disney becomes complacent in its past success and reputation.

Just my thoughts!

Past Trips:
Nov. '95 * Dec. '98 * Dec '01 * Mar. '04 * Jan. '05 * Jan. '07 * Apr. '07 * Jan. '08 * Oct. '08 * Oct. '09 * Jan. '10 * Jan. '12 * Dec. '13
1/06-5/06 - WDW CP
DWJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #34
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sorry I'm jumping in a little late on this conversation, but I had to respond to this comment. Recent history is not very reassuring in this area....with four theme parks in Orlando, opening one truly new attraction every few years is not enough. 7DMT and the Little Mermaid ride are the only new attractions they have opened since TSMM opened in '08. That's a LONG time between attractions.

I agree with you completely. Disney is more focused on the China market since that's where they're seeing the real growth opportunities.

As far as the US is concerned they'll continue to tinker with WDW, concentrating more on maximising revenue from what they already have (e.g. Magicband), rather than investing in premium new rides/themes.

I'm sure New Fantasyland was seen by most repeat visitors as a huge disappointment, completely underdelivering on the marketing promise. The opposite is the case with Universal which continues to expand with excellent new theming and rides and will further demonstrate this with HP phase 2.

Sure Disney will introduce new theming but it will be at a snails pace, say starting off with some Avatar or Star Wars themed rest rooms, restaurants, gift shops and a couple of walk through 'attractions'. Given their recent performance It'll be 2020 before we see anything particularely different.

Yes I hope Universal gives Disney a bloody nose, but unfortunatey Disney has already demonstrated that it CAN do very little, yet still get solid attendance figures.
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
7DMT and the Little Mermaid ride are the only new attractions they have opened since TSMM opened in '08. That's a LONG time between attractions.

First... I agree
With you...

Second...as far as how they can be so complacent?
Because we continue to line there pockets...

Attendance is flat and profits are expanding at an almost Enron type rate...
They are also getting to the point where they can almost reduce staff and operating hours and still probably increase profits...

They increase all prices by 5-15% each year without exception, apology, or explanation.

And nobody stays away.

That's why I say the place is starting to suck for those of us that are longtime/ repeat offenders or bother to read the history and do the math...

But Iger will have enough stock equity to buy willow a new pair of shoes every second till 2055...no doubt.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #36
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

I think most WDW fans would agree with that the entire Fantasyland project was a bit...misguided...in its conception. They spent $700M (or whatever the figure ended up being) for what amounts to 3 new attractions.
The sentinel had two really scary numbers buried in one of their "unpublicized" articles a week or two ago...it was either the profit disclosure or the magic band rollout follow up

The often try to slip the facts by to "not upset dad"

Fantasyland was $425 million...

Art of animation was $350 (site prep and alot of groundwork done in 2002)

That is scary... That much for rooms and that little for parks.

My bad...it was Orlando business journal...not the sentinel

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 11-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #37
johnGorski
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic

First... I agree
With you...

They are also getting to the point where they can almost reduce staff and operating hours and still probably increase profits...

They increase all prices by 5-15% each year without exception, apology, or explanation.

And nobody stays away.

That's why I say the place is starting to suck for those of us that are longtime/ repeat offenders or bother to read the history and do the math...

But Iger will have enough stock equity to buy willow a new pair of shoes every second till 2055...no doubt.
Very good point! Soon as folks stop going dumping records amount of cash into Disney, them more aggressive expansion. Look how slow FLE and avatar is from announcement to opening. I was actually thinking Avatar would be tossed out all together.
johnGorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #38
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
First... I agree
With you...

And nobody stays away.

I really don't think of it as "lining their pockets" as much as "people deciding to go on vacation somewhere they enjoy". As long as people continue to find WDW to be fun, it really doesn't matter whether Disney expands or not. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Personally, I'm looking forward to any expansions - especially Star Wars or Marvel (at DL/DCA). However, my favorite rides are generally all the old ones. I don't think I'm alone - MK has almost twice the attendance of the other parks, and its rides (or their technologies) are generally the oldest at WDW.

I think this is partly because the older rides (at least in my opinion) rely more on immersion, audioanimatronics, and theming, and less on "flash" and special effects.

I've heard that J.J. Abrams is making the new Star Wars movies along similar lines. One of the biggest complaints he has heard about the prequel trilogy is that it relied to heavily on digital effects, and didn't have the authentic, hand-made feel of the original. I hope Disney keeps that in mind when designing any Star Wars attractions. Sometimes, the old stuff just works.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #39
Nakkira
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I think Star Wars land seems to be more for sure than a Carsland would be. Avatar I think will be amazing once it gets done but the question is when will it get done. Disney makes a ton of money through parks, movies, books, etc. and after the purchase of Lucas films they need to make these expansions in order to make more money. So you need to spend money in order to make money and disney is definitely not in need of huge amounts of money. Disney can do all of these things and more. Also don't forget they are also building disney springs which will cost a ton as well but help make more money in the future because its all shopping and restaurants so its going to be a goldmine for disney.

disney lover at heart
I can honestly say I would be first in line for Star Wars Land

Oct 2013 - 5 days (offsite hotel)
Feb 2009 -3 days (offsite hotel)
Oct 2004 - Week (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Feb 1998 - Week (offsite hotel)
Fall 1993 - Week (offsite hotel)
Nakkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #40
TI Park
Earning My Ears

Is there any truth with the Lord of the Rings rumor? because LOTR is awesome but doesn't seem like a fit at any of the parks except for HS which could be getting an expansion with cars or star wars.
TI Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #41
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI Park View Post
Is there any truth with the Lord of the Rings rumor? because LOTR is awesome but doesn't seem like a fit at any of the parks except for HS which could be getting an expansion with cars or star wars.
The Lord of the Rings rumor started on one web site and I have yet to see it independently corroborated by anyone else.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #42
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

For what it's worth, I believe it was Jim Hill who claimed that the LOTR connection was merely posturing on Disney's part when they hit a rough patch on the Avatar project.

I couldn't find the article but they way I remember it, some execs from Disney gave a very visible tour of Cars Land--and had a very visible lunch--with execs associated with LOTR / Tolkien. The purpose of the meeting was just to send a message to James Cameron that they had other options if he didn't keep the Avatar plans moving forward.

In other words, there probably was a meeting between Disney / Tolkien but it was only intended to be a kick in the butt to Cameron. That sort of stuff happens all the time in Hollywood; star "A" wants too much money so the studio starts wining-and-dining star "B", hoping to drive down "A"s asking price.

I enjoy the LOTR movies but really don't see a good fit for Disney. Hollywood Studios is the only destination that makes sense, and they already have Star Wars and Cars Land as in-house options "A" and "B". Why pay decades of licensing fees to promote someone else's property when other in-house options exist...particularly Star Wars.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #43
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu View Post
The Studios needs some serious redos (according to most people) and Carsland makes sense.
Yes, "Carsland" makes sense on paper, or if you live on the East Coast, but given it's Disneyland Resorts' top attraction, would Disney be willing to sacrifice attendance at DL/DCA for the sake of having this mega-attraction in Florida, too?

In other words, it's an attraction very unique to Anaheim, and it draws people there from everywhere, which was what Disney set out to do...
Old 11-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #44
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post

Yes, "Carsland" makes sense on paper, or if you live on the East Coast, but given it's Disneyland Resorts' top attraction, would Disney be willing to sacrifice attendance at DL/DCA for the sake of having this mega-attraction in Florida, too?

In other words, it's an attraction very unique to Anaheim, and it draws people there from everywhere, which was what Disney set out to do...
I agree...

Other than basic geography...cars in Orlando makes no sense by any other metric

Old 11-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #45
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

It isn't a question of whether they are physically capable, the question is whether management is willing to spend the money.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: