Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
roselark
DIS Veteran

Here are the ones I have been to:

La Cantina de San Angel: as others have said, this is counter service, but I LOVE it. The tacos de carne are awesome. If you actually meant La Hacienda de San Angel, well, I LOVED that too! I would call that a hidden gem and hope it stays hidden so I can continue to get ADRs there!

Yak and Yeti: Ate here last year only because I had a Landry's gift card. I was VERY pleasantly surprised. Going back on my next trip in 2 weeks.

Olivia's: I had heard such great things about this place that I decided to give it a try for breakfast when I stayed at OKW in January. I was horribly disappointed.

Big River Grill: My sister-in-law and I ate here a few years ago and got horrid service. I won't be going back.
Completed Trips: 9/2006 Coronado Springs; 12/2007 WL; 11/2008 SSR; 5/2009 AKV; 10/2009 BWV; 5/2010 POP; 8/2010 POP; 1/2011 AKV; 5/2011 SSR; 8/2011 Disneyland D23 Expo; 9/2011 AKV; 4/2012 Disneyland Grand Californian; 9/2012 BWV; 1/2013 OKW; 6/2013 AKV 40th Birthday Trip; early 9/2013 BWV; late 9/2013 POP; early 9/2014 BWV; late 9/2014 AKV

Upcoming trips: 11/2014 Contemporary (work convention), 12/2014 All-Star Sports, 1/2015 POP (WDW Half Marathon)
roselark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
MFMont
Mouseketeer

Big River Grille has improved over the last 12 months. Did not like it much last year. We got stuck there this year just because of timing and it was much improved. We liked it so much we had a second lunch there and will go again.
MFMont is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #33
AndreaDM
Yeah...we mainly colored that day

I'll answer for the ones we've eaten at.

MK:
The Plaza - Liked it, great place esp. if paying out of pocket.

EP:
Nine Dragons - Ate here once in 2010, it was good, nothing special except that we had a good view of Illuminations from our table.
La Cantina de San Angel

AK:
Yak and Yeti - Liked it, really liked the won ton dessert. I know everyone raves about Tusker House, but when we are hot and tired we prefer a nice, cool place to sit instead of a buffet.

YC:
Captian's Grille

BW:
ESPN Club
Big River Grille

POR:
Boatright's

SSR:
Turf Club

OKW:
Oliva's

CBR:
Shutters

CSR:
Maya Grill

DTD:
Wolfgang Puck Dining Room
Bongos
Cap n Jacks
House of Blues
Paradiso 37
AndreaDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
VillianDiva
Falling in LOVE with Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Is it because the food isn't worth going out of the way for or are any of these hidden gems?

EP:
La Cantina de San Angel - my son loves the nachos and I like the cheese empandas with a margarita

AK:
Yak and Yeti - this is good but not a favorite

YC:
Captian's Grille - love love love the breakfast!

Paradiso 37
I've never tried the others mentioned though.

'08 (Dolphin) , '09 (All-Star Music),
Disneyland 2011, and 2012 (POP)!

December 2013! (POFQ)
May 2014! POP!!
VillianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

As mentioned, a lot of these places are out of the way or have a general theme that is overshadowed by nearby restaurants. The menus aren't super special or have anything that guests generally can't get at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Is it because the food isn't worth going out of the way for or are any of these hidden gems?

MK:
The Plaza

EP:
Nine Dragons
La Cantina de San Angel

AK:
Yak and Yeti

YC:
Captian's Grille - had the worst steak dinner ever here.

BW:
ESPN Club - good bar food (wings, burgers, sandwiches)
Big River Grille - average but super loud inside. I would only sit outside if we return

POR:
Boatright's - they used to be really good, then eh, and now they are good again. DH & I usually go out of our way to eat here. We go on a Bob Jackson night for some evening entertainment afterwards.

SSR:
Turf Club

OKW:
Oliva's

CBR:
Shutters

CSR:
Maya Grill

DTD:
Wolfgang Puck Dining Room
Bongos
Cap n Jacks - completely unmemorable. we only remember not wanting to go back.
House of Blues - great ribs. slightly better than average chain food menu
Paradiso 37
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #36
brerrabbit
Sixth Generation Native Texan

We tried the Plaza for the first time last trip. Walk up waited 20 minutes and were seated. We really enjoyed it because the wife wanted a banana split the whole vacation and finally got one there. I had the Rueben and it was great. We usually pay OOP so no issue with credits.

La Cantina, the food is okay and on busy days before 2:00 you can actually sit inside in air conditioning in what is the back of Hacienda San Angel. We found out by accident and the ac made that meal very pleasant.

Nine Dragons, have not been there in 10 years.

Yak and Yeti. Don't spoil this one for everyone. We enjoy it and eat there almost every trip. No ADR and very little wait. The food is good not great but we like the atmosphere and the ac. It is actually a Landry Resturaunt which is the group that owns Rainforest Cafe and T Rex. THey are based out of Houston so we are very familiar with them and eat at their resturaunts enough to have their discount card which we can use there.

The rest we have not tried and probably won't.

The one other place we have found and really enjoyed is not really a secret but was the Food Court at the Art of Animation Resort. We went there just to see if we would want to stay there on future trips and walked through it and wound up having lunch. The make your own salad and make your own pasta areas were good and we had fruit smoothies for desert as we toured the resort.
1996 Beach Club
1996 Disney Land Hotel (Disneyland)
1997 Wilderness Lodge
1998 Port Orleans FQ
2000 Caribean Beach
2001 All Star Sports
2004 All Star Music
2005 All Star Music
2006 Pop Century
2007 All Star Music
2009 Pop Century
2010 Port Orleans FQ
2011 Port Orleans FQ
brerrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
bennifer
Mouseketeer

Nine Dragons - We ate there 10 yrs ago with my VERY picky son and he loved it. He actually still talks about that meal. But...we haven't been there for at least 5 years because it just kept getting progressively worse.

Maya Grille - Pleasantly surprised! We stay alot at the CSR, but only tried this on our last visit, and what a shame to have waited so long! We will be going back!

The rest - still on my list to try.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #38
shannyk
Earning My Ears

Raglan Road. Good food and fun for both young and old.
shannyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #39
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Turf Club: Mint Lamb Chops served w/honey polenta is very good! DD enjoys their Root Beer Pork Chop! Turf Club has become our arrival day destination.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #40
flamark
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Masonmj84;48416568]Is it because the food isn't worth going out of the way for or are any of these hidden gems?

MK:
The Plaza Good if you're paying OOP, not so much of a value if you're using DDP

EP:
Nine Dragons Some say it's Panda Express at $20 per plate. Others rave about it
La Cantina de San Angel Not a TS but the nachos are amazing.

BW:
ESPN Club Similar to the Plaza in that it's not the best TS value using DDP
Big River Grille Was fairly impressed the one time we ate there.

POR:
Boatright's I liked it but DW was not impressed with the food.

OKW:
Oliva's Character meal here way back in the day. Service not good at all.

DTD:
House of Blues Really enjoyed this. Atmosphere was really neat. Food pretty good as well.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #41
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

Haven't tried most on your list, but I'll add a to Yak and Yeti. The babyback ribs entree and wonton dessert are standouts, IMO. We have been back several times.

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: