Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
charminnie
Mouseketeer

CRT or Akershus???

What is better for 3 and 5 year old girls?? We are staying at BLT?? Food?? Atmosphere???
charminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by charminnie View Post
What is better for 3 and 5 year old girls?? We are staying at BLT?? Food?? Atmosphere???
Which meal are you asking about?

I've eaten at both for dinner. CRT's food is only okay; it's not great, but it's not horrible. Akershus has a pretty good cold board buffet is pretty good, the entrees were okay (on par with CRT), and the desserts were meh. In terms of pure food, I think Akershus has the slight edge because of the cold board.

In terms of princesses, you see pretty much the same ones. Typically (subject to change) you see Cinderella (downstairs for the photo op), Snow White, Ariel, Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), and Jasmine at CRT. You see Belle (photo op), Snow White, Ariel, Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) and Cinderella at Akershus. The interactions are both good, but I liked the set-up at CRT much better. At CRT, the princesses come out and follow a set pattern, so you know when the next one is coming to your table and can gage accordingly. At Akershus there is really no pattern, so you don't know when the princess is coming and might end up with a mouth full of food when they arrive! So for this one, I vote CRT.

In terms of atmosphere, CRT wins hands down. Eating in the castle is magical and lots of fun. Akershus is supposed to be a castle, but it mostly reminded me of a dining room with side rooms (like any other restaurant).

Finally, at CRT, kids (and adults too) get either a wand or a sword and a wishing star; a fun toy/souvenir. Nothing like that at Akershus.

Akershus is less expensive (one credit) than CRT (two credits), so that's something to consider.

Personally, I would eat at CRT at least once while the kids are into princesses. It's a fun experience and, to me, worth the price at least once.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
momofkids
Mouseketeer

We ate at both in November. The food at CRT is terrible. Akershus has much, much better food. The waitstaff at Akershus was much better too. Maybe because the gratuity isn't included like at CRT. We had dinner both places. Maybe breakfast at CRT? I have never done it. The atmosphere is definitely nice at CRT and eating in the castle is cool.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
EvilQueenT
DIS Veteran

i've done a lunch and a dinner at crt and both meals were blah but the experience of eating inside the castle is one i think every disney fan should do once. i did askerus once for breakfast in like 2009 then for dinner a year ago in august and my chicken and my daughters salmon were both surprisingly good. we were both ready for your typical blah meal but went because my granddaughter wanted to see ariel (pre fle opening) so we went and were glad we did. you'll get the same basic experience in terms of princesses circle the room and visit your table. at askerus for breakfast was the only time we had a different mix with belle at the door each time but then aurora, mulan, mary poppins, cindy, and jasmine. every other time/place we always had cindy, snow, aurora, jasmine, ariel, and belle.
EvilQueenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
charminnie
Mouseketeer

I am asking about breakfast
charminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
BarbieSmith
Mouseketeer

This may not help much, but for anyone doing a search.

We did CRT for breakfast. And Akershus for dinner.

We were SO incredibly disappointed in CRT for breakfast. We were rushed, the food was between a McD's and Denny's in quality and quantity, the service was awful (asked for more bacon - TWICE - good weird looks and never delivered), and the princesses were rushed and surly. The whole thing felt so "cheap" and I was so upset we spent so much on it, though I will admit that the kids did not notice much of this. Our photos weren't very good!

Akershus (dinner this time) was totally the opposite. Food was interesting, vast quantity and quality, and lots of choices. The princesses were engaged, sweet, lively! The photos were fabulous. We were not rushed, and it had an "elegant" feel (special lighting in the castle at night also helped!). Girls (4,5, and 6) LOVED it, as did the 4 year old boy (princesses took time to dote on him).

This was our experience!
Barbie
BarbieSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Julie711
DIS Veteran

CRT is a must do breakfast for us every trip. We have 5 yr old dd & she loves to get to dressed up and eat in the castle. We have been 4x before and have never had a bad experience with food or service. DH & myself always get the traditional breakfast & DD gets the French toast sticks.

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
bubbapeanut
Earning My Ears

Just my two cents, and I maybe in the minority. We have two kids 5 and 1.

We ate breakfast at Akershus on Thursday. It was amazing!!! A must do for every trip now. Princess interaction was great , they took their time and were very sweet. Food was very good, cold bar was delish!!!

We at at CRT on Saturday. CRT was blah. Service and food was okay but certainly not great. We left hungry. Wishing ceremony was egh. It was such a quiet speaker and the restaurant was noisy it was over before we barely noticed it was happening. Our server came up and started talking while it was happening. . Princess interaction felt rushed. We won't do his one again
bubbapeanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: