Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
jimim
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,215

Character Meet and Greet Questions

Hi guys,

This trip is going to be some new meet and greats for us being that my daughter is getting older and I just wanted to try and prepare myself a bit so I don't loose time to get as many good pics as I can.

I know I can't get exact info but some ideas would be nice.

Mostly regarding if flash is needed or not.

I'm going to have my 7d with 24-70mm 2.8 ii on for everyday use.

Merida: I'm assuming I won't need my flash except if I needed it for fill.
Ariel: I'm thinking it's pretty dark in there. So keep my flash on me?
Tink: I'm thinking the same?
Town Hall princesses: The same?

These inside places seem pretty dark. I'm assuming they have the typical overhead lights for the photopass people but that's it?

Thanks,

I' know it's kinda random but was just trying to get some ideas.

jim
__________________


Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
mamaCta
DIS Veteran
 
mamaCta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 515

With a 24mm 2.8, you shouldn't have a problem getting enough light with a boost in your ISO. I've never seen a M&G darker than medium low room type light.

Pro photogs, please correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________
Previous trips: DL & DCA 2002. WDW 2004 & 2005

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.



Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
hakepb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,394

I don't know about those specific M&G, but I know the new Mickey town hall has poor lighting (and bad color choices, even thč photopass pictures look wrong, but that's OT) and I think you need a flash or use ISO 800 or higher...so yes, it depends on if you are OK with high ISO portraits from your camera.
__________________
"Home is where you stay when you are not at Disney World." - DS5
hakepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
jimim
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
I don't know about those specific M&G, but I know the new Mickey town hall has poor lighting (and bad color choices, even thč photopass pictures look wrong, but that's OT) and I think you need a flash or use ISO 800 or higher...so yes, it depends on if you are OK with high ISO portraits from your camera.
This was the whole reason I brought this up. Mickey m&g was tough to shoot at. I was all over the place. I know the only pics that were decent was with flash. I guessing these other indoor spots r going to be the same. Between the busy backgrounds and interactive elements along with the lighting for the photo pass people it makes it a challenge for good indoor shots at these. I'm going to try and shoot manual this time. My plan is start with flash and f4.5 at 1/125 and go from there. I'm hoping this works and gives me enough time to dial in my exposure. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________


Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29,938

Sadly, most of the staged character meets at Disney do have VERY poor lighting.

Regardless, I use flash for all character meets, even outdoors because I don't like shadows on faces.

Enchanted Tales With Belle is the exception. That is the only place you can meet Belle in the MK and that is at the very end of the story. No flash is allowed in there, but it is actually one of the better lit locations.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
jimim
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Sadly, most of the staged character meets at Disney do have VERY poor lighting.

Regardless, I use flash for all character meets, even outdoors because I don't like shadows on faces.

Enchanted Tales With Belle is the exception. That is the only place you can meet Belle in the MK and that is at the very end of the story. No flash is allowed in there, but it is actually one of the better lit locations.
Thanks for info. I didn't know that about belle. Thanks! This is our first trip back since the new area opened. Last year was an off year cause of my son being born. Not that that's a bad thing. Just itching to get back. I'm pretty anxious about this trip cause of having two kids now. Kate's first trip was so well documented and I want kason's to be the same. I have no idea how I am going to be able to still take quality pics with Kate and now kason with just Kristen and myself. Maybe it's cause it's our first trip alone with them. I know I should have had my parents come on this trip vs October! Lol. Actually should have had them just come for both! Lol

Jimi
__________________


Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"
 
boBQuincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 4,619

Ariel's Grotto is fairly well lit, 1/60 @ f/4 ISO 1600 worked ok. The lighting seems to have a lot of red, use RAW so you can adjust the color balance later. This seemed to be the case with Enchanted Tales with Belle also but the lighting was brighter (1/60 @ f/4 ISO 800).
__________________
"Well, then, I confess. It's my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder, and otherwise pilfer my weasly black guts out."

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
nvtsallo
Mouseketeer
 
nvtsallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 248

I am in the same boat returning with the new MG. i am coming with a 430 ex ii external flash. I plan on using manual 1/125 f5.6-7.1 since I like my twins and the characters in focus. 2.8 is too shallow of Dof for meet and greets. Just my 2cents. I'll be using raw and iso between 800-3200 depending but i have full frame. I would stay at iso 1600 max since you can fill with flash. I have also been playing with manual flash since the lighting will not change during those individual shots. I generally meter, shoot and dial in my settings in line so when its time fire away. I wish there was a way to have better lighting but i am prepare for worse. Just as long as its in focus you can usually adjust the rest in post at home.
nvtsallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
Visitante
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 25

Just came back

I just came back from our Disney trip, and i think we took photos of all characters.

Merida is well lit: I used 1/125 @F8 iso 200.
Belle is dificult, as the ligths change all the time (my camera auto wb didnīt work out as i imagined): 1/80 @F4 iso 1000 (on the end of the "show"), 1/80 @F4 iso 4000 during.
Belle from Epcot (does not use her yellow dress): 1/250 @F8 iso 100 (flash for fill)
Town Hall is dark for both, Mickey and the Princess, i used flash.
Ariel grotto: 1/80 f5.6 Iso 1600
Visitante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
nvtsallo
Mouseketeer
 
nvtsallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitante View Post
I just came back from our Disney trip, and i think we took photos of all characters.

Merida is well lit: I used 1/125 @F8 iso 200.
Belle is dificult, as the ligths change all the time (my camera auto wb didnīt work out as i imagined): 1/80 @F4 iso 1000 (on the end of the "show"), 1/80 @F4 iso 4000 during.
Belle from Epcot (does not use her yellow dress): 1/250 @F8 iso 100 (flash for fill)
Town Hall is dark for both, Mickey and the Princess, i used flash.
Ariel grotto: 1/80 f5.6 Iso 1600
What camera/lens/flash did you use?
nvtsallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
jimim
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
Ariel's Grotto is fairly well lit, 1/60 @ f/4 ISO 1600 worked ok. The lighting seems to have a lot of red, use RAW so you can adjust the color balance later. This seemed to be the case with Enchanted Tales with Belle also but the lighting was brighter (1/60 @ f/4 ISO 800).
Thanks for the additional info bob. I appreciate it. So u didn't use any flash I'm assuming based in ur ISO settings?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________


Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
jimim
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtsallo View Post
I am in the same boat returning with the new MG. i am coming with a 430 ex ii external flash. I plan on using manual 1/125 f5.6-7.1 since I like my twins and the characters in focus. 2.8 is too shallow of Dof for meet and greets. Just my 2cents. I'll be using raw and iso between 800-3200 depending but i have full frame. I would stay at iso 1600 max since you can fill with flash. I have also been playing with manual flash since the lighting will not change during those individual shots. I generally meter, shoot and dial in my settings in line so when its time fire away. I wish there was a way to have better lighting but i am prepare for worse. Just as long as its in focus you can usually adjust the rest in post at home.
Ya I usually don't go past 1600 ISO. My problem is I haven't fully embraced the noise yet! Lol every time I bump it up I end up bumping down cause I don't want to cause too much noise. I have to get over that fear.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________


Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
jimim
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,215

So let me pose a scenario.

When in line u don't have a lot of time to tinker so I'm thinking better to play with just one setting vs messing with multiple ones cause then I might just really mess things up. So

Lets say flash on starting at f 5.6 and 1/125 at ISO 400.

5.6 cause it will help keep my kid and character sharp enough and 125 for movement of Kate in pic.

If I'm underexposed I don't want to open up my f stop cause then I might be too soft and I don't want to decrease my speed cause then I might get blur or shake so is bumping up ISO the best move to save on time and not loose the opportunity?

I know if I open up the f stop I will get an overall brighter pic.

vs slowing the shutter speed down which would only increase light on Kate and character vs background.

So bumping up ISO would increase exposure overall.

Thanks! I like talking things like this out so I k ow I understand it and have it right in my head so I'm not worrying while up there!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________


Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!
 
Pixel Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Sadly, most of the staged character meets at Disney do have VERY poor lighting.

Regardless, I use flash for all character meets, even outdoors because I don't like shadows on faces.

Enchanted Tales With Belle is the exception. That is the only place you can meet Belle in the MK and that is at the very end of the story. No flash is allowed in there, but it is actually one of the better lit locations.
Your character meet photos always look great!
How are you using the flash? Is it direct, diffused or bounced off a wall/ceiling? Are you using a higher ISO and a lower power flash output just as fill?

I believe a lot of people stick to auto, when they use flash. That's when the subject becomes very bright and you get a dark background and shadow.
__________________
Franklin and Missy
Instagram: snapnpixels -- Check us out on Facebook!

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
jimim
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post

Your character meet photos always look great!
How are you using the flash? Is it direct, diffused or bounced off a wall/ceiling? Are you using a higher ISO and a lower power flash output just as fill?

I believe a lot of people stick to auto, when they use flash. That's when the subject becomes very bright and you get a dark background and shadow.
I can tell u how I use my flash 100% of the time. I keep it in auto and I use a demb saucer that I bounce the light off. If I need less light on my subject I tilt it back more. If I need more output I tilt it more forward over the flash. At least that's how joe demb suggests u use his product. If that doesn't work then I usually dial my flash down if I'm still too overexposed. That usually allows me to avoid changing ISO.

Again this is my way with using his product. I really like the piece I bought from him. Best 25 I ever spent.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________


Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Đ 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.