Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #16
Aby
Obsessive and Compulsive

We had a Cat 7A Navigator's verandah on our first Alaskan cruise in 2011, and we loved it so much, that we're cruising in the same cabin this August to Alaska again! I found that the enclosed nature of the verandah with the big open porthole took some of the bite out of the chilly night air and the daytime winds, and it definitely felt more private. I even sat out there one late evening to write in my journal - it was cool but nice. Of course, depending on the weather on your particular cruise, YMMV, but I really loved the Cat 7A.

Hope this helps,

Aby
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

OP - We went through this exact dilemma! We originally booked a Cat 9C and then upgraded to a cat 7A once we switched from 2014 to 2013. Yes, it was more money than I wanted to pay, but we aren't overdoing it on excursions and feel it's a fair compromise to both. We do love verandahs and being able to have our own space and we are also doing excursions in every port but we aren't doing anything TOO extravagant so we saved there. I know we would have been just fine in the cat 9C, however we are extra excited knowing we have our cat 7A for this special cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
We've chosen a navigator's verandah for our Alaskan cruise this August. We felt it was a good compromise as it gives us our own balcony but it will (hopefully!) be a bit more sheltered than an open one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aby View Post
We had a Cat 7A Navigator's verandah on our first Alaskan cruise in 2011, and we loved it so much, that we're cruising in the same cabin this August to Alaska again! I found that the enclosed nature of the verandah with the big open porthole took some of the bite out of the chilly night air and the daytime winds, and it definitely felt more private. I even sat out there one late evening to write in my journal - it was cool but nice. Of course, depending on the weather on your particular cruise, YMMV, but I really loved the Cat 7A.

Hope this helps,

Aby
YEAH!! I love to hear the positive reviews of the 7A's! Just curious what cabin you guys had? Ours is 5132 and honestly it was the only one available when we switched over so we were glad to get it. I read a lot of people love deck 5 although I would have picked 6 or 7 if I had a choice. We are so excited

Good luck OP and keep us posted what you decide!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013. Next: 10/2015 WDW/MNSSHP/F&W
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
"Ginger"
Sailing, sailing away is where I want to be....

Interesting and informative

We have started our planning for our daughter high school graduation gift, a cruise in Alaska. We were looking at the categories and thought 5 would be good, we would have a verandah. Now that I have read all the post here I'm rethinking that idea. I don't want to feel like I have to stay on my veranda because it's so expensive. I like the idea of using deck 4 and 7 to experience the views and share my thoughts with others. Plus saving points by not booking the verandah will give us points to let our daughter invite a friend, we can do 2 staterooms in a cat 11 or 10.
#1 "WONDER" 12/05/99. 3 days the start of it all the rest were 7 days or longer.
#2 "MAGIC" 09/20/00
**DVC MEMBERS** 10/2000
#3 "MAGIC" 01/17/01
#4 "MAGIC" 10/27/2001 "HALLOWEEN"
#5 MAGIC" 10/26/2002 "HALLOWEEN" #6 "MAGIC" 10/25/2003 "HALLOWEEN"
#7 "MAGIC" 10/30/2004 "HALLOWEEN"
#8 "MAGIC" 08/20/2005 Panama Canal
#9 "MAGIC" 10/28/2006 "HALLOWEEN"
#10 "MAGIC" 10/04/2008 cruising w/GiGi
#11 "Dream" 01/22/2012 Family reunion

Last edited by "Ginger"; 05-19-2013 at 08:36 PM.
"Ginger" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

I'll be heading off to Alaska in 2 weeks and my family and I are staying in a 5B. We always have verandah rooms--main reason is my mother smokes, but it's also a true luxury to be able to have instant access to the sea air and relax on your own private "deck."

Honestly, the difference in cost between an inside and the verandah was not that much back when I booked last fall. Given that everything about Alaska is expensive and not a vacation I see repeating anytime soon, I didn't hesitate to book a verandah, regardless of how much I could use the public decks. Nevermind that my mother cannot sail in anything but, anyway.

It's really a matter of what's most important to you: having a few hundred extra for excursions or other expenses, or having private and immediate access to nature. Since an Alaskan cruise is all about nature, I couldn't imagine not having the verandah.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
Aby
Obsessive and Compulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post

YEAH!! I love to hear the positive reviews of the 7A's! Just curious what cabin you guys had? Ours is 5132 and honestly it was the only one available when we switched over so we were glad to get it. I read a lot of people love deck 5 although I would have picked 6 or 7 if I had a choice. We are so excited

Good luck OP and keep us posted what you decide!

Heather
We were in room 7126 - a great location, close to the aft of the ship and the "secret deck" at the very back of the ship. Quiet and convenient - I really liked that the deck above and below were all guest cabins. If one hadn't been available on deck 7, I wouldn't have hesitated to book on another deck, but you can always keep an eye out for one to open on a higher deck!

Aby
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
QRS
Working On Our Second Ear

We're going 7A

Thanks to all for your opinions and advice. It was a pretty even split between the "open balcony", "porthole" and lastly votes for the "enclosed balcony". My wife has agreed to a Cat 7A stateroom, a somewhat compromise... possibly still too cold but out of any rain that isn't blowing sideways.

We are already really looking forward to this trip, our 15 year anniversary present to ourselves.

QRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRS View Post
Thanks to all for your opinions and advice. It was a pretty even split between the "open balcony", "porthole" and lastly votes for the "enclosed balcony". My wife has agreed to a Cat 7A stateroom, a somewhat compromise... possibly still too cold but out of any rain that isn't blowing sideways.

We are already really looking forward to this trip, our 15 year anniversary present to ourselves.
I think that's a great decision! We sailed in 7620 on our first cruise and loved it. Since you have time before you sail, you might want to watch the DCL website and see if you can grab one of the "secret" veranda rooms. 7620 is one. You get the 7A price, the plexiglass bottom of a 5B (so your little one can see out too), and it's somewhat enclosed on one side. We discovered when we sailed Alaska last year, as the cruise gets closer, people seem to jump around in rooms. So just because it's not available now, doesn't mean it won't open up. Best of luck!
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
QRS
Working On Our Second Ear

Yeah. Actually, I have to fight that urge! We are going with the Navigator's verandah in order to stay in a bit out of the cold and rain. On our first cruise though, we were able to get one of those partially blocked verandahs and I loved it!

QRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
anachronism
Earning My Ears

Typically speaking weather ranges between 40s and 60s in the areas you will visit and rain is a possibilty. While July tends to the warmest month August is usually mild as well, jacket or blanket should be sufficient if you want to sit out on the balcony. On the cooler, overcast days keep an eye out for bears as they tend to be more active during this time.
anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: