Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
QRS
Working On Our Second Ear

Alaska cruise in August

We are going to book a cruise on the Wonder to Alaska in August, 2014. On our first cruise in the Carribean, we had an open balcony and I thoroughly enjoyed reading a book and drinking coffee out on the balcony before everyone woke up every morning. My wife says this time it will be too cold to enjoy such pleasures and just a waste of money. She has a point. I want to get some feedback from others who have made the trip in August to Alaska. Was it too cold and rainy to enjoy the balcony/veranda?

QRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
dkmjgal
Mouseketeer

We went in August as well and had a balcony. I HIGHLY recommend it! We used the balcony often on our trip. It was especially great the day we visited the glacier! We did have quite a bit of rain on our trip when we were in port but we were out and about at that point anyway enjoying the ports. The trip is so beautifully scenic that I would not book Alaska again without the balcony. We were fortunate in that the temperature was mild, which it usually is in August. One of my best memories is our first day and last day at sea. I just cannot describe how incredible the scenery is - and we enjoyed much of it right from the comfort of our own balcony.
2005 7 Day Western Cruise
2006 November - Cruised the Eastern with a bunch of Bananas
2010 August Disney Wonder from Key to Cay
2011 August ALASKA on the Wonder
2013-2014 Midnight Mouseketeers Fantasy NYE
dkmjgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Weather varies from year to year (obviously). I just read a post on Facebook from a friend in Alaska. Anchorage is expecting an unusually late(!) snow storm tomorrow night. My friend would rather be planting tomatoes than shoveling snow!

DH pointed out the weather still has two weeks to get its act together before we're up there.

Meanwhile, when we've cruised in Alaska in August, we've loved the weather.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You will probably need a blanket if you sit out on the verandah in Alaska. Yes, you will get some good views of the scenery; however, we spent most of our time at sea on decks 4 & 10. It was possible from there to easily move from one side of the ship to the other as whales and other wildlife were spotted by fellow cruisers. On our cruise everyone in the area was good about letting others know when they saw something. Alaska is very different from the Carribean. You will be cruising through the inner passage with mountains on each side of you VERY close to the ship. I am glad that we spent that time up on deck instead of in our room/on a friend's verandah most of the cruise.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I have cruised to Alaska twice (not DCL) -- once in late August and last year in late June. The weather on the August cruise was way better than June. I cruised in an inside cabin both times. If I had been in a cabin with a balcony last year, I probably wouldn't have used it at all. It was cold and rainy every day. You just never know with Alaska. The views are best experienced from up on deck, especially the glaciers.

I would cruise to Alaska again in a heart beat -- it is amazing! Enjoy!
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Our honeymoon cruise left Vancouver on something like August 21. While there were sunny portions of each day, overall it was colder than it probably would have been in June or July.

Walking around on the deck, especially while the ship was moving, was too brisk to be comfy just sitting there. I would have been very cold after half hour of just sitting, that's for sure.

I cannot quite imagine cruising warm places without a balcony, but I will never NEED one for Alaska (and we did not have one on our honeymoon). I would just be too cold, especially while the ship is moving.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

We cruised Alaska the first week of August and had amazing weather. We were able to use our balcony every day. Our cruise line provided bathrobes for balcony cabins and that was a great perk in the mornings. But during the day I sat on the balcony every afternoon to read and enjoy the scenery.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
jenf22
DIS Veteran

We went the first week of September last year and LOVED our veranda. I know a lot of people spend most of their time on deck, but with our 5-year old, we loved being able to see the scenery from our room. He could play inside while we got to enjoy the amazing scenery whenever we wanted.
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

You could go either way, really. We had a balcony when we cruised in August 2011 and loved it. The only day it was REALLY cold was Tracy Arm day, but I just put on my hat and gloves and sat out there with my coffee anyway! We spent a lot of time on deck, but it was nice to have the option to be on our own verandah when the crowds got to be too much.
Our daughter was also just shy of two, so we also got to spend time viewing the scenery from the verandah while she napped. I actually have a great picture of her out there in her PJ's with a fuzzy blanket, she loved it.

That said, deck 7 aft and the upper decks are always available if you want to spend some time up there. So even if you don't go for the verandah there are plenty of opportunities to take in the view
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweihund View Post
You could go either way, really. We had a balcony when we cruised in August 2011 and loved it. The only day it was REALLY cold was Tracy Arm day, but I just put on my hat and gloves and sat out there with my coffee anyway! We spent a lot of time on deck, but it was nice to have the option to be on our own verandah when the crowds got to be too much.
Our daughter was also just shy of two, so we also got to spend time viewing the scenery from the verandah while she napped. I actually have a great picture of her out there in her PJ's with a fuzzy blanket, she loved it.

That said, deck 7 aft and the upper decks are always available if you want to spend some time up there. So even if you don't go for the verandah there are plenty of opportunities to take in the view
Can you tell me about Deck 7 aft? We have never been on the Wonder. Is this a public viewing deck with chairs. I don't remember this on the Magic? We love Deck 4 but don't know what you are referring to here. Thanks!

And OP we are going at end of July and opted to spend the money on Excursions (have you looked at those costs yet??) to actually get up close to Alaska and settled for a Large Porthole room. That way we can see some scenery when we are in the room, but we will be warm!!! Enjoy what ever you choose!!
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmbar View Post
Can you tell me about Deck 7 aft? We have never been on the Wonder. Is this a public viewing deck with chairs. I don't remember this on the Magic? We love Deck 4 but don't know what you are referring to here. Thanks!
If you go all the way aft on deck 7 there is a door leading to a small deck - it has several lounge chairs and is nice and open. We spent some time there when we were in Tracy Arm to get a more panoramic view without the crowds. There were only a handful of other people there. It's a nice place to hang out and has a quiet atmosphere, more secluded than the upper decks but still public.

You'd probably walk right by the door if you didn't know where it lead - I learned about it only after I had already been on two Disney cruises!
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Thank you very much!! I will definitely be checking this out!
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
m1ckeym0use1
Mouseketeer

Here's another vote to definately check out deck 7. When we reached the end of Tracy Arm and the ship turned around, we headed to deck 7 and there was only one other person there. We got some nice pictures of us against the rail with the glacier in the background, and no-one else in the picture. I don't think most people even know it's there.
m1ckeym0use1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #14
QRS
Working On Our Second Ear

Any other opinions on this?
So far, it looks split pretty even on wether to go cat 7 with an open balcony (my preference) or cat 9 with a large window (my wife's saving money preference). I might add that my wife only joined me once on the balcony during our Caribbean trip and we had nice weather 6 of the seven days... In my favor, there is much more beauty to experience on the Alaska cruise but in my wife's favor, both she and my daughter are really thin blooded and chill rather easily...

QRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

We've chosen a navigator's verandah for our Alaskan cruise this August. We felt it was a good compromise as it gives us our own balcony but it will (hopefully!) be a bit more sheltered than an open one.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: