Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
beckyb29
Mouseketeer

Business Casual

Hi everyone!

For the first time in my life, I will be trading in my hospital scrubs for a desk job in a business casual office! They seem to be on the more "casual" end of the business casual dress code (however, no jeans, shorts, etc). I'd rather keep as much money in my Disney fund as possible, but need to start building a new wardrobe for work. What are your favorite places to shop for your business casual clothes, that don't break your vacation fund?

What are you favorite pieces that you can't live without?

Thanks everyone
Old 07-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyb29 View Post
Hi everyone!

For the first time in my life, I will be trading in my hospital scrubs for a desk job in a business casual office! They seem to be on the more "casual" end of the business casual dress code (however, no jeans, shorts, etc). I'd rather keep as much money in my Disney fund as possible, but need to start building a new wardrobe for work. What are your favorite places to shop for your business casual clothes, that don't break your vacation fund?

What are you favorite pieces that you can't live without?

Thanks everyone
Jealous. I still have to wear scrubs daily. I'm going to a staff meeting today and am so excited that I get to wear regular clothes today. I am wearing one of my Sparkle Skirts

Can't help with where to get business casual since I live in my Sparkle or jeans when not working.
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

You could pick up some starter peices at Kohls for not a lot of $. If you have a basic color pants/skirts in black, brown, blue, gray and buy some tops to mix and match that's really all you need to start. You can get some scarves or jewelry that will mix and match as well to expand your wardrobe even further.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
kkandaj
No longer a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Minnie View Post
You could pick up some starter peices at Kohls for not a lot of $. If you have a basic color pants/skirts in black, brown, blue, gray and buy some tops to mix and match that's really all you need to start. You can get some scarves or jewelry that will mix and match as well to expand your wardrobe even further.
This is great advice! I wear business casual 4 days a week (work from home on Fridays) and the above is my exact wardrobe. I have a pair of dress pants in black, brown, gray, khaki and some dresses/skirts. I pretty much just switch tops. I have 4-5 basic colored (black, white, teal, red) cardigan type sweaters that I throw on over different tops too. Accessorize with a few different necklaces/scarves.

99% of my co-workers are men (I work in IT) so I could wear the same thing 2 weeks in a row and they would never notice.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

DW is fond of Body Central.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Kogo Shuko
DIS Veteran

I'm a thrifter. I get the majority of my work clothes at thrift stores. You've got to go through a lot of stuff to find anything really good, but I also enjoy the hunt. Sometimes you find brand new clothes with tags still on them for a fraction of the price.

me: Jax:
~*~ 1992-1993 – Offsite ~*~ 1995-1996 – Offsite ~*~ 2009 – Scotland ~*~ 2010 – Newfoundland ~*~ 2010-2011 – Offsite ~*~ October 2011 - Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Feb 2012 – Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Oct 2012 – Carnival Cruise/Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Sept 2013 - Sanibel/Vistana/Leesburg ~*~ April 2014 - Houston, Texas ~*~

Kogo Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

I just updated my wardrobe for work last week.

Kohls is a great suggestion. We also have a Belk department store. They had a fantastic sale going on. I also like Chicos, really cute stuff in there but they can be a little expensive for my bargain shopping mind.

I also went to the Lee jeans outlet. They had a great sale on colored denim pants that can easily be gussied up with cute tops, jewelry and scarves. Bought a few things there.

Don't know about your office, but I can wear capris in the summer and I got a few pair at Belk and the Lee outlet.

Burkes outlet is another store that I like for myself and dd12.

Good luck!
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
DoOverDreams
DIS Veteran

No good advice on where to shop, but have you seen this website? It's my new favorite! http://www.outfitposts.com/2012/11/o...sule_6313.html

There is a section called one suitcase series that is geared towards packing tips, but I like how they have basic pieces and can make a hundred different outfits out of those basics. I'm streamlining my wardrobe!

(I got this link from a helpful person on the DCL forum!)
DoOverDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogo Shuko View Post
I'm a thrifter. I get the majority of my work clothes at thrift stores. You've got to go through a lot of stuff to find anything really good, but I also enjoy the hunt. Sometimes you find brand new clothes with tags still on them for a fraction of the price.
I am, too. I've always dressed business casual (it's the nature of my business unless you're in outside sales) and love it. If someone does come in dressed up they accuse him of looking for another job!!

I like thrift shops because I like quality but don't want to spend "quality" prices!

I only wear black so I'm easy. I dress it up with scarves, shoes and jewelry.

Congratulations!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Another thrift shop and consignment shop fan. I have also scored big at Marshalls and Burlington Coat factory. Do you have those near you ?

a story of renewed hope & the power of the Dis:UPDATE 7/19http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Thrift/consignment/Kohls/JCP. A lot of what I buy at thrifts is originally from Kohls or JCP, but they have pretty good sales and coupons at the stores too.

October-March I live in sweaters and St. Johns Bay corduroys...I have the pants in forest green, black, navy, brown, tan, gray, and cream. Had to buy those new in tall length. I have 50+ sweaters and I don't think I have bought a single one new at a retail store. Otherwise it is knit tops with casual pants- I love to find pants that are actually styled like 5 pocket jeans- or actual colored jeans if they look dressy enough. In the summer I have a variety of colored capris to go with the knit tops.

I like Maurice's too.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD12

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Kohls and Target, believe it or not. I have clothes from both stores that have lasted through years of washing, drying, and regular wear.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic (and BR Factory Store).
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I get my pants at Banana Republic Factory Store. They have a line of cotton/twill pants and I have a black, gray, and tan pair. I wear these on Fridays and I change my tops around.

One outfit that I get a lot of compliments on is my black pants with a black, gingham button up shirt with sleeves that cuff up (got that at Kohls). It's casual but very smart/crisp.

We are only business casual one day a week so it's not a huge deal, but I basically rotate my tops around.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

If you have a Coldwater Creek near you - as they are liquidating their stores now due to bankruptcy, there are some decent deals.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: