Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2001, 09:09 PM   #1
scottishman
Earning My Ears

Lightbulb

I purchased 4 round trip tickets from Dallas to MCO about 6 months ago, got what I think is a good price $104.00 each. I used travelocity and these are with United. They are all in my My familys names. The problem is my son may not be going, he kind of wants to go to summer school and work at his new job.(I think he is my son) LOL But my mother in law wants to go if he doesn't . Do you think she would be able to use his ticket? She doesn't have a problem with coming down at a different time and getting her own airfare, but I was just wondering if there is anything I can do with his ticket if I don't decide to "make" him go. Beverly, are you or any of the other resident experts out there? Thanks in advance!! P.S. These are non-refundable.
scottishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 10:12 PM   #2
TravelSheryl
DIS Cast Member

Nope, that won't work. You cannot change the name on an airline ticket and all adult passengers must show a government issued picture ID that matches the name on the ticket.

If your son doesn't travel on the itinerary as ticketed, the ticket is basically worthless since United now charges a $100 change fee.
TravelSheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2001, 10:24 AM   #3
classicpooh
Wishes everyone a Disney day!

Does anyone know why the airlines do this?

1970s-1980s: Childhood trips to CR and Poly with parents
1995 All Star Sports and Cruise
1998 Contemporary
2001 (Trip of many disasters) Dolphin, All Star Sports and POFQ
2004 RPH and AKL!!! WE SURVIVED CHARLEY AND HAD FUN!
2007 Offsite
classicpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 11:25 AM   #4
Wendy
DIS Cast Member

Hmmm... To make more money?

Actually, I think it's because they do have to keep track of eaxactly who is on each flight. To allow people to transfer tickets to someone else at the drop of a hat would be a logistical nightmare. That's my guess, anyway.
"Tomorrow will be better. For as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life, all men will want to be free and share our way of life. I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy, and freedom." --Walt Disney

°O° Wendy °O°

wendy@wdwinfo.com <!--START COPY SINGLE LIST FORM HERE--><FORM ACTION="http://www.disboards.com/cgi-bin/subscribe/s.pl" METHOD="POST"><TABLE BORDER="0"><TR><TD BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF"><CENTER><FONT SIZE="-2" FACE="verdana, arial, helvetica"><B>Join our mailing list<BR>for updated info on<BR> Walt Disney World,<BR>special offers<BR>and discounts!!</B></FONT><BR><INPUT TYPE="TEXT" SIZE="10" NAME="e"></CENTER><INPUT TYPE="RADIO" NAME="subscribe" VALUE="subscribe" CHECKED="CHECKED" ALIGN="TOP"><INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="l" VALUE="5 "><FONT SIZE="-2" FACE="verdana, arial, helvetica">subscribe</FONT><BR><INPUT TYPE="RADIO" NAME="subscribe" VALUE="unsubscribe" ALIGN="TOP"><FONT SIZE="-2" FACE="verdana, arial, helvetica">unsubscribe</FONT><BR><CENTER><INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE=" Submit "></CENTER></TD></TR></TABLE></FORM><!--END COPY SINGLE LIST FORM HERE-->
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 12:51 PM   #5
TravelSheryl
DIS Cast Member

It's too make more money. They can allow it from a regulatory standpoint. In fact, some airlines are now doing so through a new Internet company http://www.fairair.com
TravelSheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 01:19 PM   #6
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

The main reason is to make money but it is also to prevent a company, travel agency or individual from buying up the supply of discounted tickets and then reselling them at a higher price. Before the airlines checked photo ids you used to be able to informally transfer tickets amoung friends and family members.

The cost to transfer the tickets to a friend or family member could easily be handled with a nominal change fee.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: