Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Jods313
Earning My Ears
 
Jods313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 32

Hollywood and vine characters

We are booked at H+V for lunch mid-June. I know the chances are slim but hoping the current characters for dining MIGHT change over to characters at Disney Jr Live. Any chance of Sophia or Doc showing up at Hollywood and Vine?!

We have the reservation with slim to no hope of it happening but have it nine the less. My daugher isnt into most the characters there now... maybe Jake. Is it worth it keeping??
Jods313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jods313 View Post
We are booked at H+V for lunch mid-June. I know the chances are slim but hoping the current characters for dining MIGHT change over to characters at Disney Jr Live. Any chance of Sophia or Doc showing up at Hollywood and Vine?!

We have the reservation with slim to no hope of it happening but have it nine the less. My daugher isnt into most the characters there now... maybe Jake. Is it worth it keeping??
theres always a chance.

I would book a character somewhere else...perhaps on a different day...cape may cafe is a good option...and then cancel the hollywood and vine if no new characters are announced or confirmed before the cancellation window hits.

nothing wrong with that.

I would say that the playhouse disney show with sofia and doc mcstuffins was great...we saw it last week. i was surprised that they updated it so quickly...as jake was only added about a year ago.

hope it breaks right for you
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Jods313
Earning My Ears
 
Jods313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 32

We have lots if other character dining so we may just skip this one. Thanks for the advice. Also THANK you so much for the info on the disney he live show!! It's so great to hear from someone who has recently seen the new show!!! Getting excited. 35 days.

Thanks again!!
Jods313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 366

I went for dinner in December, which is not a character experience. Overall it was my least favorite sit-down booking for the trip. I did not love the buffet at all.

Boma had raised my expectations for Disney buffet in the same trip.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975
I went for dinner in December, which is not a character experience. Overall it was my least favorite sit-down booking for the trip. I did not love the buffet at all.

Boma had raised my expectations for Disney buffet in the same trip.
Hollywood and vine is not a good restaurant/ buffet...but I you have preschoolers that isn't the most important thing there...lots of good character time.

I'd like to point out that chef mickeys is also a bad buffet...and cinderellas stinks. Akershus is questionable.

Sometimes it isn't about the food...though Disney has no excuses at their prices.

Park fare, garden grill, and tusker house have good food for character locations.

And boma is a complete head fake...it's way better than the other buffets. Actually Jambo house has the best building under one roof at wdw...except for the main building at GF when citricos and park fare are on their game
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,572

Also...other than garden grill never go To character meals at dinner if you can avoid it.

Disney breakfast is good and it's hard to screw them up...dinners are awful and it costs double.

Breakfast is better for your tummy and your wallet.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Jods313
Earning My Ears
 
Jods313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 32

We have little ones too and we know its all about the experience. We have character Dining every day if our trip for that reason. Bc she isn't into the characters at H+V makes it questionable for us. Thought sci-fi could be a different kind if experience. Thanks all for input. Still not sure what to do :/
Jods313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Hollywood and vine is not a good restaurant/ buffet...but I you have preschoolers that isn't the most important thing there...lots of good character time.
Understood and affirmed. I did all the planning for dining last year, and I was actively trying to book restaurants I hadn't tried before. I had tried Mama Melrose in 2011, and Brown Derby in 1991. I won't be back to H&V. Per cost, I'll probably head back to MM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I'd like to point out that chef mickeys is also a bad buffet...and cinderellas stinks. Akershus is questionable.
Sometimes it isn't about the food...though Disney has no excuses at their prices.
I enjoyed Chef Mickey in 2009, but I love a Mickey Waffle, and breakfast is a hard meal to really pooch. I booked Crystal Palace breakfast for 2011 and 2012 because I liked the food and prefered the "early entry"
Akerkush isn't terrible, but I rember it being kinda tiny and I have no need to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Park fare, garden grill, and tusker house have good food for character locations.
Have not done Park Fare nor Tusker House. Considered both. Garden Grill was excellent. Chip and Dale were hilarious and the food was pretty decent. I didn't love the turkey, but the fish and the beef were excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
And boma is a complete head fake...it's way better than the other buffets. Actually Jambo house has the best building under one roof at wdw...except for the main building at GF when citricos and park fare are on their game
Boma was soooooo good that we did a second booking during our week in December. It switched over to the more expensive Holiday menu on our second to last day, so it had a lot of stuff that wasn't there 5 days before. We may go back twice in October.
Haven't done breakfast there. I wouldn't think breakfast could be all that different to warrant it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Also...other than garden grill never go To character meals at dinner if you can avoid it.
Again - Chip and Dale went from being "boring find them anywhere" to top ten on the strength of Garden Grill and the Merry Christmas Parade. Can't overstate how awesome they were. We were there almost at closing though, and I'm sure results vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Disney breakfast is good and it's hard to screw them up...dinners are awful and it costs double.

Breakfast is better for your tummy and your wallet.
Crystal Palace for early open is awesome.
Ohana was a blast but Stitch is my #1 favorite character and my family tell me that this totally biased me on the food.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 315

We ate at H & V last week with our kids (4,4, 2) and they enjoyed the characters - Oso, Jake, the girl in purple from Little Einstiens (sorry, I don't remember her name), and Handy Manny. The food was Disney character buffet food and I will leave it at that. Everyone has their own opinion.

The revised Disney Jr. show does have Doc and Sophia - the kids loved that. We met Jake and Handy Manny outside of the theater as well, so you don't have to eat at H & V to meet them.

I always enjoy the character buffets for the kids. But if my kids were a little older I might skip a few of them and go to other meals like the Sci Fi or 50's ... both of which we have enjoyed in the past.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.