Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
ChloesDaddy
Mouseketeer

How much time do you spend cleaning out your vehicle before a driving trip to WDW?

We leave in 5 days (arrive at WDW in 11; stopping to see family and go to the beach on the way). I just spent 4 hours cleaning out out the van. If they had movie theaters for monkeys, the floor would look like what I found when I started -- pulverized pretzels and goldfish crackers, cracker jacks, used gum, wrappers of all kinds, fossilized McDonald's french fries, long missing Nintendo DS games, etc... The worst was the pool of dark brown ooze that I found in a pull-out cup holder -- obviously a highly concentrated soda spill. I immediately issued a ban on eating and drinking in the van until after vacation, which I'm sure everyone (including me) will ignore. Well, at least it will be clean for a few days.

Now we can get on with the more fun parts of getting ready -- finish packing, rechecking the checklist, buying some last-minute needs, and watching a few Disney movies.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

When we drove to Florida in April I had recently, think 2 months prior on a warm day with out snow....cleaned out my van.

So while it was mostly clean there was still some stuff floating about, markers, crayons, hair ties, money, happy meal toys that they say they will play with but never do. So it wasn't too bad.

My Dh vacuumed the car before we drove home. We spent a week at my sisters house in ft. Myers so there was some sand in the car.

But since we have been home it is a mess. I need to clean it. It is filled with dirt from the baseball/softball field x's 3 kids.

I need to clean it before the sand goes back in it after they get out if school next month.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

1 hour at the most! I usually empty everything out of of our vehicle when I get back home from where we have been. So I don't have much of anything to clean out when I go to wash it! I go thru the car wash, Dry my vehicle with a shammy, clean all the inside doors, clean my windows with the windex, clean my tires, use their big Vac! ALL DONE!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Lita
Mouseketeer

About 10 minutes for me personally. I picked up the papers, toys and trash and then went to the car wash to have an interior and exterior cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DL - numerous times as I grew up in CA
WDW - CBR 97, Poly May 2013
DCL - Dream April 2014
DCL - Fantasy August Eastern Caribbean 2015

Me 40 DH 48, DD7, DD5
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
KNJWDW
Mouseketeer

My DH always gives the van a deep cleaning before we go. Last time he cleaned it too much. He used some special cleaner on the leather seats and it made the seats very slippery! It was actually hard to sit up, I kept slipping on the seats the entire way to Florida and back. We were just talking about this the other day and I reminded him to leave the seats alone this time!
KNJWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Disfan454
Earning My Ears

I am big on traveling in a clean vehicle. Just makes it feel less cluttered and just better driving when everything is clean and in order.
Disfan454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

We leave next week, too. I didn't spend any time cleaning it this time...hit a huge turkey three weeks ago, did a lot of damage to it, and the body shop detailed it before we picked it up. Since then, we've been making a point not to leave anything in it, and we haven't had any food in it, so it is still clean.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
MyMagicKingdom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloesDaddy View Post
We leave in 5 days (arrive at WDW in 11; stopping to see family and go to the beach on the way). I just spent 4 hours cleaning out out the van. If they had movie theaters for monkeys, the floor would look like what I found when I started -- pulverized pretzels and goldfish crackers, cracker jacks, used gum, wrappers of all kinds, fossilized McDonald's french fries, long missing Nintendo DS games, etc... The worst was the pool of dark brown ooze that I found in a pull-out cup holder -- obviously a highly concentrated soda spill. I immediately issued a ban on eating and drinking in the van until after vacation, which I'm sure everyone (including me) will ignore. Well, at least it will be clean for a few days.

Now we can get on with the more fun parts of getting ready -- finish packing, rechecking the checklist, buying some last-minute needs, and watching a few Disney movies.
Sounds pretty similar to our Jan trip. We split the cleaning up over a couple of days but probably spent that amount of time all together. Of course by the time the trip was over it looked as thought we had never cleaned it in the first place and then some.
*June 2009 (Honeymoon!!!) ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)/The Polynesian (Aotearoa)/Disney Wonder*
*August 2010 ~ Pop Century ..... First time celebrating my birthday in WDW and DS' first WDW trip!!!!!!*
*August 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge....My bday (again!) and DS' first trip to WDW!!! *
*January 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach*
*November 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach...surprise trip for the kids!!! First MVMCP!!!! *
MyMagicKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
difry
Earning My Ears

We are semi-empty-nesters. No little kids and my hubby does a pretty good job of keeping his car (which is the road trip car) cleaned out.

The only issue is he insists on keeping a tote box of stuff in the back of his car and there is always a grumble match over what he is allowed to keep and what has to go in the house when we prepare for a vacation. I mean...seriously...I don't think we need the winter gloves, sock cap, de-icer, and ice scraper between Kentucky and Florida in September : /

1974 – Contemporary Resort (Me and my family - most perfect family vacation ever!) --1975 – Campground (Him and his family)
1976 – Off Property (Me and my family…not as fun as the Contemporary) --1991 – Day pass to Magic Kingdom with our small children
2003 – Kid's Band Trip (No parents)-- 2006 – Downtown Disney Best Western (Just the 2 of us)--2007–Ft. Wilderness Cabins – just the 4 of us!
2009 – Ft. Wilderness Cabins – Gift from his parents –9 of us -- 2010 – Still not sure why we picked 2 days at Universal over Disney?
2011 – All Star Music – Daughter and new Husband Honeymoon at Disney -- 2013 – Ft. Wilderness Cabins – Now we are 5 : ) can’t wait!!!
difry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
ChloesDaddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMagicKingdom View Post

Sounds pretty similar to our Jan trip. We split the cleaning up over a couple of days but probably spent that amount of time all together. Of course by the time the trip was over it looked as thought we had never cleaned it in the first place and then some.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure ours will look as bad or worse. The saving grace is that we'll barely be in the van the entire week we're at WDW.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
ChloesDaddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by difry View Post
We are semi-empty-nesters. No little kids and my hubby does a pretty good job of keeping his car (which is the road trip car) cleaned out.

The only issue is he insists on keeping a tote box of stuff in the back of his car and there is always a grumble match over what he is allowed to keep and what has to go in the house when we prepare for a vacation. I mean...seriously...I don't think we need the winter gloves, sock cap, de-icer, and ice scraper between Kentucky and Florida in September : /
LOL!!! I removed the bin I make DW keep in the back of the van with all that same stuff in it. I did replace it with a smaller bin to keep some things we may need. If we run into ice and snow in FL in June I think we'll have bigger problems to worry about than scraping off the windows.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
parlay
Mouseketeer

DH spends about 1/2 hour. Usually the kids have stuff stashed in the side compartments in the back. I remember when DH found an entire pack of melted crayons - what a mess.

parlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
TBGOES2DISNEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. Sounds exactly like my car! And yes, it takes me a long time to clean all that mess out. And if I can keep it clean until we leave for vacation, once we get all the suitcases, snacks, and "must have" toys and activities (that seldom get touched on the way) and after a day of traveling in the car, it nearly looks like it did before I cleaned it!

AsMo 9/06 FD_AsMo 01/08_POP 09/08 FD_POP 12/09 MVMCP & FD_POR 10/10 MNSSHP & FD_ POR 11/11 FD_POR 12/12 FD_No trip 2013 _POP 05/14

TBGOES2DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
CuppieCake04
Mouseketeer

its not the clean up BEFORE the drive.. as I keep a tidy vehicle.. (only cause its still new and I love it) but the cleanup AFTER that worries me...lol
CuppieCake04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
difry
Earning My Ears

Quote:
LOL!!! I removed the bin I make DW keep in the back of the van with all that same stuff in it. I did replace it with a smaller bin to keep some things we may need. If we run into ice and snow in FL in June I think we'll have bigger problems to worry about than scraping off the windows.
I'm thinking about getting my hubby a nice bag to keep a few things in. The volume of stuff he insists on carrying is ridiculous. I love his car (a 2011 XB) and although there isn't a lot of space behind the back seat...there should be plenty of room for 2 adults and our stuff.

1974 – Contemporary Resort (Me and my family - most perfect family vacation ever!) --1975 – Campground (Him and his family)
1976 – Off Property (Me and my family…not as fun as the Contemporary) --1991 – Day pass to Magic Kingdom with our small children
2003 – Kid's Band Trip (No parents)-- 2006 – Downtown Disney Best Western (Just the 2 of us)--2007–Ft. Wilderness Cabins – just the 4 of us!
2009 – Ft. Wilderness Cabins – Gift from his parents –9 of us -- 2010 – Still not sure why we picked 2 days at Universal over Disney?
2011 – All Star Music – Daughter and new Husband Honeymoon at Disney -- 2013 – Ft. Wilderness Cabins – Now we are 5 : ) can’t wait!!!
difry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: