Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
nanay2jdr
Mouseketeer

Aspergers and a Preschool

Both Epcot and AK involves long walks in between attractions. My DS11 with ASD is unable to do those long walks and tires easily. My DD3 will need to be in a stroller most of the time too. Is there a double stroller for heavier weights that I can rent at WDW. My DH has carried him over his shoulder but its hard on DH back. We are not renting a car and will be relying on disney buses and cabs. Do you have any touring plan trips for ASD and little kids at WDW? Thanks!
nanay2jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I'm not sure how big your 11 yr old is, but probably considerably bigger than the 3 yr old. To put both in a double stroller would 1) likely be well over the recommended weight limit and 2) be very difficult to push/manage due to the uneven distribution of weight, which could also cause strain or injury to the person pushing.

There are single strollers for older/larger children. I'd recommend looking into either a pediatric wheelchair (better sized for the 11-yr-old) or a special needs stroller for him. There are rentals for maybe $50 per day (last time I researched), or if you take multiple trips you might consider purchasing a used one. We like the Maclaren Major - it is just like a standard umbrella stroller but larger and holds a child up to 115lbs (some specs indicate 140lbs).

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
nanay2jdr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy
I'm not sure how big your 11 yr old is, but probably considerably bigger than the 3 yr old. To put both in a double stroller would 1) likely be well over the recommended weight limit and 2) be very difficult to push/manage due to the uneven distribution of weight, which could also cause strain or injury to the person pushing.

There are single strollers for older/larger children. I'd recommend looking into either a pediatric wheelchair (better sized for the 11-yr-old) or a special needs stroller for him. There are rentals for maybe $50 per day (last time I researched), or if you take multiple trips you might consider purchasing a used one. We like the Maclaren Major - it is just like a standard umbrella stroller but larger and holds a child up to 115lbs (some specs indicate 140lbs).

Enjoy your vacation!
Thank you
nanay2jdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: