Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
rachael95
DIS Veteran

Best Character meal for photopass photo

I'd like to do a character meal with our DS who will be 18 months when we go. We've never done a character meal before since this is our first time with our son.

I want to get the photopass +. We would probably be doing the character meal for breakfast.

Where would be the best place to take him for the best photo opportunity? It looks like at Cinderella's table you get a picture in the lobby. Is this with a princess? Are there other "posed" or good places that we could have a photopass picture taken with the character?

These are the places listed as being on the photopass + so which would you say is the best of these? I'm looking for 1. quality of photo 2. Best experience for a toddler 3. best tasting food

Walt Disney World Participating Character Dining Locations:
  • 1900 Park Fare
  • Ohana (Breakfast only)
  • Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
  • Chef Mickeys
  • Cinderellas Royal Table
  • Tusker House Restaurant
  • Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue
  • Princess Storybook Dining at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall

Thanks, Everyone!

*Off Property - August 1999 *AKL - September 2003 *Dolphin - December 2004 *POR - May 2005 *Off Property - October 2005 *1/2 day at AK after conference Oct. 2007*Off Property - September 2014 (DS first trip)

Last edited by rachael95; 05-14-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: noting we'd probably do breakfast
rachael95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Photopass at meals is only a picture in the lobby. A few with characters, and a few without. Other than that, the characters will come around to your table during your meal and you can take your own pictures with your camera.

Cinderella's Table you get a photo with Cinderella in the lobby and Akershus a photo with Belle in the lobby, BUT with those meals the photos are included in the price of the meal anyway, so you don't get any benefit with photopass+. My DD was never scared of characters. If think your son might be, a Princess might be less scary than than a giant animal though.

Tusker House, you get a picture with Donald Duck in his Safari outfit. Our photos have always been really cute there, to the point that they are usually on display in my house. That photo package does NOT come with the meal and costs about an extra $30, so I would say that one if you want a character photo. That meal you also get to meet Goofy, Mickey, and Daisy. We also think the food is good there. We've done both the breakfast buffet and the lunch buffet, and I would do either one again. I do really love the breakfast there though. Tusker House would be my pick for you unless you think your son will be scared of Donald.

Unless they have changed Chef Mickey's, the photo there is not with a character. I think it is with a little statue if I remember right. A toddler might like it there because Minnie, Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Pluto are usually there. We think the food there is pretty bad though, and it isn't the cleanest place.

We've only done 1900 Park Fare for dinner. The photo is just with a painting of a castle behind you. At dinner that can be a pretty hectic buffet. That place also usually is running behind and doesn't get you in right at your ADR time. We like it because DD is a Cinderella fan, so it is fun to meet Prince Charming, Cinderella, the step-sisters and stepmother. The characters are pretty fun and most of the times we have been there, the food has been good. I can't tell you anything about breakfast except for I think Mary Poppins, Alice, and the Mad Hatter are there.

Another fun character meal for a toddler (if they aren't scared of characters), is the Crystal Palace at MK. It has Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore. The food is pretty good there too. They do not do a photo package though.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
staciemkg
Earning My Ears

Great info posted. I agree the best pic would be Tusker House w/ Donald. Our pics there were great and I would do that if taking advantage of the photopass+

Crystal Palace is a great character experience and really good buffet. There is no photopass area or pic, however, the is great photo ops that can be taken w/ own camera and I'm sure a CM would take a pic on the bench w/ nice character topiary in the background (if they r not swamped).

We had a great time at Ohana breakfast, but the photopass pic was in need of major upgrading! Its just in a tiki bar type setting wearing a lei and poorly done at that.

Mother of 3... DD12 , DD9 , DS7
staciemkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
rachael95
DIS Veteran

Thanks, our main goal is to get digital rights to the photos. We tend to look at most of our photos electronically rather than in printed form. So that's the main reason I wanted to buy the photopass +.

Had to laugh, we recently paid for spring pictures at my son's daycare. $149 for 3 shots but we got the digital rights. So we're going to pay Disney $149 for the photopass + where we get as many shots as we want. I've never heard of Disney being a better deal on something than you'd get in the "real" world before.

*Off Property - August 1999 *AKL - September 2003 *Dolphin - December 2004 *POR - May 2005 *Off Property - October 2005 *1/2 day at AK after conference Oct. 2007*Off Property - September 2014 (DS first trip)
Old 05-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
wahmtexas
Mouseketeer

We love our CRT photopass pictures. There breakfast is very good. I think Cinderella with a toddler makes an adorable picture
Sept.2010: Carribbean Beach, 3d trip with my kids
Dec. 2012 Art Of Animation, Cars Suite Lovin my work at home business paying for our Disney addiction!
Dec. 2013 POFQ, Surprise trip for kids! Loved POFQ!
Nov. 2014 Art Of Animation-Nemo Suite
wahmtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

Tusker House. Beware, if it is raining, Donald comes to your table. You still get the picture outside but without a character. This happened to us on our last visit.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
DisneyOrBustColorado
Mouseketeer

I wonder if the Be Our Guest restaurant will include the character photo on PP+ in the future?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

I would have to say Tusker House. But we also love getting the Photopass+ just so we can get the shots from Ohana in the morning!

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP
Trip Reports:
Seriously, Disney Again? A F&W Festival & MNSSHP PTR! *Updated MNNSHP Costumes & Friends Going 8/11*
Me? A Princess? Shut Up!! My 1st PHM PTR!
Completed TR-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: 2 Updates! Complete!!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOrBustColorado View Post
I wonder if the Be Our Guest restaurant will include the character photo on PP+ in the future?
That would be nice if it would become one!

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP
Trip Reports:
Seriously, Disney Again? A F&W Festival & MNSSHP PTR! *Updated MNNSHP Costumes & Friends Going 8/11*
Me? A Princess? Shut Up!! My 1st PHM PTR!
Completed TR-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: 2 Updates! Complete!!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael95 View Post
Thanks, our main goal is to get digital rights to the photos. We tend to look at most of our photos electronically rather than in printed form. So that's the main reason I wanted to buy the photopass +.

Had to laugh, we recently paid for spring pictures at my son's daycare. $149 for 3 shots but we got the digital rights. So we're going to pay Disney $149 for the photopass + where we get as many shots as we want. I've never heard of Disney being a better deal on something than you'd get in the "real" world before.
You get them digitally with the regular CD too and its cheaper than photopass plus. We just went with an 18 month old. Other than Buzz, they aren't tall enough to go on any rides that have photos and almost all character meals that have the one front picture included are not with characters. Honestly, the + cd is not a good deal for someone who isn't going to get ride photos. Do you plan on getting a lot of ride photos?

The regular photopass CD is $129 preorder while the plus is $159.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post

You get them digitally with the regular CD too and its cheaper than photopass plus. We just went with an 18 month old. Other than Buzz, they aren't tall enough to go on any rides that have photos and almost all character meals that have the one front picture included are not with characters. Honestly, the + cd is not a good deal for someone who isn't going to get ride photos. Do you plan on getting a lot of ride photos?

The regular photopass CD is $129 preorder while the plus is $159.
You only get the digital images of the character meal picture if you buy the print package. Which is about $30. Which is the difference between normal preorder cd and preorder plus. One character meal during your trip where you will buy the photo makes Plus worth it over the normal cd.

Of all our character meals so far I like our Tusker house photo the best. And the delicious food doesn't hurt.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
brooke789
Mouseketeer

We ate at Tusker House on Monday and the picture was not even in focus. I couldn't not believe they even bothered to print it (and bring it to the table). When we said we didn't want it the photopass guy just sighed and made some comment like "oh well". I'm sure it was just the photographer, but OMG terrible!
brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
rachael95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke789 View Post
We ate at Tusker House on Monday and the picture was not even in focus. I couldn't not believe they even bothered to print it (and bring it to the table). When we said we didn't want it the photopass guy just sighed and made some comment like "oh well". I'm sure it was just the photographer, but OMG terrible!
I'm surprised he couldn't tell it was not in focus when he took the picture. Surely they can. We had a photo person at Disney YEARS ago have us re-take a picture because they could tell it was out of focus. Though I know it depends on how many people you have in your party, skin tone, colors of your clothes, etc. We've gone where we've been told that they are set up for only a certain number of people and that more people will actually cause the photo to be out of focus or off a bit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: