Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #1366
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofynut41 View Post

I take the bus everywhere but Downtown Disney...
I don't rent a car and taking the bus to and from DTD was pretty painless.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #1367
amwildwood
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna114 View Post
Generally I'm not dim lol. Not all of the balconies on the 5th floor closed balconies, right?
Im sure we had an open balcony on the 5th fl in the villas in sept 2012 (two bedroom). I'll check with my husband and pics. We had a 2 yr old and weren't concerned. She only went out there a couple of times with us.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #1368
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
Hi everyone!! New to this thread

Looks like we will be planning a Mardi Gras trip for 2014, and are seriously considering the WL!!

Can anyone tell me about the rooms / balconies / size of resort? Looking at the ariel shot, it seems like it's HUGE. Are there rooms in the main building? Do all the rooms come with some sort of balcony? Would say the farthest room (near bay lake) be a long walk to the Lobby?

thank in advance.
There are rooms in the main building. I don't think the lobby is too far from any room. That is what I like about the resort.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #1369
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenTX View Post
Another question regarding woods view.

Does it make sense to request a room close to the main lobby with an open balcony?

I could care less but DH really wants an open balcony where he can sit & drink his coffee. I want something centrally located to everything. Last time we were at WL was our honeymoon & we were in the suites.

Thanks in advance!!
I'd make having an open balcony your first request. As far as being near the lobby, the hallways aren't super long, so getting to the lobby isn't that bad no matter where you are. Some locations are closer to the boats and others closer to the buses, but requesting near the lobby is fine. To us the North Wing feels more centrally located because Roaring Forks (the quick service restaurant) is right next to the East elevator in the North wing, so no matter where your room is you can go down there to get mug refills or visit the pool. If you prefer a room that opens to the lobby, that would be another specific request worth making too.

Quote:
Hi everyone!! New to this thread

Looks like we will be planning a Mardi Gras trip for 2014, and are seriously considering the WL!!

Can anyone tell me about the rooms / balconies / size of resort? Looking at the ariel shot, it seems like it's HUGE. Are there rooms in the main building? Do all the rooms come with some sort of balcony? Would say the farthest room (near bay lake) be a long walk to the Lobby?

thank in advance.
The WL is all in one big building composed of two wings, connected with the Lobby at the West end. You don't have to worry about being in a remote building, which is really nice, especially in bad weather. Even the Villas (VWL) are connected via a covered walkway, but they are basically in a third "wing".

To walk from a room at the end of one of the wings through the lobby and to a room at the end of another wing would probably take about 5 minutes (without stopping to gaze or take pictures), but the way the resort is laid out you wouldn't likely have to make that trip. Walking to the lobby from any room shouldn't take longer than 2-3 minutes. The boat dock is off the end of the North wing, Roaring Fork is in the middle of the North wing, and the bus stop is South of the lobby near the South wing, so you generally won't have to walk through the entire resort to get where you are going.

The balconies vary somewhat, but the big difference is whether they have enclosed railing (so you have to stand up to see out) or open railing. Generally, the top floor rooms (6th or 7th floor, depending on location) have the enclosed balconies, but there are other locations that do have a few as well. Among the open balconies, some are kind of open, where you could look over and see your neighbors on their balcony and others are a little more recessed, with a solid wall between you and the neighbors.

Happy planning and enjoy your trip! We love WL for its all in one building layout and beautiful views of Bay lake.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #1370
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for the replies!!! I hoped it was all contained.

We ate at Artist Point in July, and thought the lobby was beautiful, but didn't get a chance to really check it out!! (Artist Point was so good, I can't wait to go back)

Do you know if any rooms have NO balcony at all? do the first floors have patios?
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 11/14 - Split Stay???
Me DH DD22 DD16 Maud Marie

Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #1371
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

We just switched to over to the WL in a Courtyard Bunk Bed room from the Poly. When I got the call about switching to the GF, it got us thinking about whether or not we really wanted to stay at the Poly with all the construction going on. Well, we've always wanted to stay at the WL...so here we come September 18-24. I am so psyched!!!

WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007**SoG 2000*Off Site 1998

No Ticker...
Old 08-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #1372
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

17 days and counting down, down, down. Only 2 more weekends, and I feel like I have so much to do. The Disney part of our trip should be good, it's the first part, the Sea World part, or I should say the one night we stay close to SW.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #1373
The real Mrs Potts
Been there, Ate That!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
17 days and counting down, down, down. Only 2 more weekends, and I feel like I have so much to do. The Disney part of our trip should be good, it's the first part, the Sea World part, or I should say the one night we stay close to SW.
Cant Wait!!!! Its the Final Countdown Song keeps playing in my head!!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #1374
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Thank you so much for the replies!!! I hoped it was all contained.

We ate at Artist Point in July, and thought the lobby was beautiful, but didn't get a chance to really check it out!! (Artist Point was so good, I can't wait to go back)

Do you know if any rooms have NO balcony at all? do the first floors have patios?
Every room has some outside space, and the ones on the first floor are patios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
We just switched to over to the WL in a Courtyard Bunk Bed room from the Poly. When I got the call about switching to the GF, it got us thinking about whether or not we really wanted to stay at the Poly with all the construction going on. Well, we've always wanted to stay at the WL...so here we come September 18-24. I am so psyched!!!
Woo Hoo, it should be a great trip, and is super close! We will be there and head home just before you. I think you made a great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
So close! We are starting to feel rushed for our trip, and you're a week ahead of us. It will be wonderful to be at Disney.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #1375
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I don't rent a car and taking the bus to and from DTD was pretty painless.
We didn't go from WL, and granted, this was a 4th of July weekend, but driving and trying to park at DTD was a nightmare. (We took the bus on previous trips at AKL). That was the ONE part of the trip that I thought these boards steered me wrong on. DH was a little annoyed as he was driving. Personally, I am less aggravated waiting on a bus then driving in heavy traffic and circling for a parking spot.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for a Poly dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #1376
mum2four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
We didn't go from WL, and granted, this was a 4th of July weekend, but driving and trying to park at DTD was a nightmare. (We took the bus on previous trips at AKL). That was the ONE part of the trip that I thought these boards steered me wrong on. DH was a little annoyed as he was driving. Personally, I am less aggravated waiting on a bus then driving in heavy traffic and circling for a parking spot.
I agree with this. We drove to DTD once when we were staying offsite. It was a mess of traffic. I've never had a problem taking the bus to DTD. It might take a little longer, but it's never been bad.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #1377
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

Using WDW transportation instead of driving is a part of the vacation for me. Since I drive a bunch for my job, and wind up doing most of the family driving, I look forward to having the transportation taken care of for a change while at WDW. If there is an extra 10 minute wait for a bus or a boat, or if it takes a few minutes longer to get somewhere versus how I could have driven it I don't even think twice about it. It is relaxing just to ride and play around with my family.

Of course I am long past the phase where I stress out about rope drops and ADRs and such. YMMV
Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #1378
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippa D Doodah View Post
Using WDW transportation instead of driving is a part of the vacation for me. Since I drive a bunch for my job, and wind up doing most of the family driving, I look forward to having the transportation taken care of for a change while at WDW. If there is an extra 10 minute wait for a bus or a boat, or if it takes a few minutes longer to get somewhere versus how I could have driven it I don't even think twice about it. It is relaxing just to ride and play around with my family.

Of course I am long past the phase where I stress out about rope drops and ADRs and such. YMMV
Completely agree.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #1379
The Queen Bee
Earning My Ears

We are booked for a Standard View room for Marathon weekend.

I am trying to decide if it's worth the extra cost to upgrade. We don't spend much time in the room ...... but the thought of being able to see Wishes or the Water parade from our room is appealing ..... Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #1380
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post

Completely agree.
I agree as well. I like driving about as much as anybody, but we go Disney transportation all the way.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: