Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #1006
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran

Wow thanks Wood Nymph! And they provide the marshmallow? How cool is that? I remember going over to the Fort Wilderness one in 2009 and we had to bring our own (we stayed at WL and there was no campfire there).

Yum to the waffles!

Why do people say WL has terrible counter service? Looks like they have added options since our last stay.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #1007
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2CrazyGirls View Post

Why do people say WL has terrible counter service? Looks like they have added options since our last stay.
In general the food courts at the values and mods are much bigger and have many more options than a counter service at a deluxe resort. But if you compare Roaring Forks to the deluxe resorts you'll find that it is pretty good. We loved it especially since we were used to the very limited choices at the BC. Marketplace.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973

Last edited by Wood Nymph; 07-31-2013 at 10:41 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #1008
tinaver
Earning My Ears

Thanks all for the advice.

I don't think we'll book until around 200 days out - or at least in time to make some ADRs for our trip.

Feeling the love for WL - can't wait to see it in person.

Here we come December 2014!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #1009
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
In general the food courts at the values and mods are much bigger and have many more options than a counter service at a deluxe resort. So if you just compare Roaring Forks to the deluxe resorts you'll find that it is pretty good. We loved it especially since we were used to the very limited choices at the BC. Marketplace.
I agree with this completely. Roaring Fork was a highlight of our last trip, and we loved going to get waffles there most days. The lunch and dinner items were great too, and we preferred them to the CS meals we had at Poly or CSR.

We did also go to the larger food court at POP and will eat at POR during our next trip. The larger food courts with more variety are nice to visit, even though we love Roaring Fork (and staying at WL). We are fortunate to go during a low crowd time so Roaring Fork doesn't get too crowded, but for the breakfasts we usually took them up to the room anyway.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #1010
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralesdavis View Post
Jumping to the end so say Hey! I am newbie, earning my ears and excited to start reading this thread! We leave in 75 days (but who's counting, right?) for our WDW and our stay at the Wilderness Lodge Villas. We check-in on 10/14, departing on the 19th.

We have been so fortunate to be able to book this trip through a friend who is a CM. I wanted to use a few "free days off" from school by planning our trip around our Fall Break which is over the Columbus Day weekend. Of course... there was NADA for any of the WL, even trying to rent points. I kept getting suggestions of OKW or SRR. I sent a message to my CM friend asking her which one of those two she would suggest. She told me either and then proceeded to ask where I *really* wanted to stay. She was able to find availability for me using her benefits. I was/am over the moon. WL has been on my wish list for since our last trip 5 years ago. So, yeah!!!! WL here we come!!!

I will be traveling with my husband, and two daughters, 10 and 5. We were last at Disney 5 years ago (as I mentioned) and yes, if you do that math... I was PREGGO!! 7.5 months! It will be so nice to go back and be able to ride everything (or almost everything, we may have to do a parent swap or two).

Anyways... so happy to be reading all this great info on DIS! Awesome stuff!!! And now that I have found a whole thread for WL... yahoo!

Thanks in advance to all those who have shared great info and photos!!!
Welcome

Glad your friend was able to get you booked at VWL.....you're going to love it .

Quote:
Yes. They are there. There are two different food counters for ordering food at Roaring Forks and for some reason they don't post the menu from the Mickey waffle counter. But they are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaver View Post
Feeling the love for WL - can't wait to see it in person.

Here we come December 2014!
The WL is amazing any time of year, but especially so during the holidays.....you're going to have a great time .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #1011
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Hi - A quick question in regards to the closed vs. open balconies. We are staying in a 1BR villa. Do you know if any of the villas have closed balconies? We definitely want an open one so if I need to make a room request I should do that soon. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #1012
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
Hi - A quick question in regards to the closed vs. open balconies. We are staying in a 1BR villa. Do you know if any of the villas have closed balconies? We definitely want an open one so if I need to make a room request I should do that soon. Thanks!
We never got a chance to explore the villas when we were there in February, but we willl be sure to check them out in December.

I found this picture of the outside of the villas, and all the balconies are open in this section.

WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #1013
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In general the food courts at the values and mods are much bigger and have many more options than a counter service at a deluxe resort. But if you compare Roaring Forks to the deluxe resorts you'll find that it is pretty good. We loved it especially since we were used to the very limited choices at the BC. Marketplace.
When we were staying at Fort Wilderness last summer we hopped in the car the last day and headed over to Roaring Forks for a quick lunch and to check out the resort. It's actually what led to me booking WL for our Christmas trip this year.
Anyway, I agree. It's not anywhere near as large as the values but honestly, the value food courts are a chaotic nightmare any time we have tried them. It's also not as large and doesn't offer as many selections as the mods. I do really enjoy the moderate food courts (especially) POR and all the selections.
However, we had a wonderful lunch and I found the quality of the food and menu choices far preferable to any of the mods. Instead of the standard pizza, burger,pasta there was some amazing sandwich options, atypical ingredients being used, and things I was excited to try. Overall it was one of our favorite lunches at Disney and we had just gone there on a whim. It really could stand to be a bit bigger...however, if it's busy in December I could always bring it back to my room.
I can't wait to stay there!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #1014
Dumbo Mad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
The bus and boat are at opposite ends of the resort. Personally, I would choose the south side to be closer to the buses, since there is also an MK bus you can use. If you can get a room on the lobby level (2nd floor), it's very convenient for accessing the gift shop and bus stop, and there is an elevator about halfway down the hall that will take you to the ground floor to easily access Roaring Forks and the pool (much closer than the walk around through the lobby area).

Regardless, there will be a lot of walking for him either way - that's just how a Disney vacation is.

My mom was stubborn about an ECV when she first started needing one. Two things happened to change her mind. First, we went to MK and she felt so bad we just sat on a bench for about three hours before we could even think about making our way out of the park and back to the resort. The next day, I simply rented an ECV at the park, and told her I was renting it, and if she didn't want to use it, I would. She decided it was worth a try, and the park touring went much better after that. You don't have to use it all the time. She would park it and walk into shops, restaurants, and attraction queues. But it eliminated probably 70% of the walking and she had much more stamina and much less pain. I hope you can convince him to change his mind, at least about using one in the parks.

As far as noise, I haven't found the lobby rooms to be too bad at night. However, I always have a white noise machine with me (used to be a travel alarm, now it's an app on the iPod) because you can have noisy neighbors anywhere in any hotel. You might want to consider something like that if he has issues with noises waking him up. For some reason, people forget and use their "outside" voices when walking in hotel hallways . . . .
Hi, apologies for the late reply. i just wanted to say thank you for all the comments. After discussing things with my dad, he wants to try walking, but will agree to hiring an ECV if things get difficult

We have booked a north woods view, as we will be spending a lot of time at MK and we want to use the boat, but have requested close to an elevator and a lower floor. Am already counting the days till 10th September 2014!

Thanks for your help
Nikki

Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #1015
GSLand
Mouseketeer

I too appreciate the comments about WL and using an EVC. Mom has tentatively agreed to try an EVC on our next visit. That's going to be a big change for her and for us.
Question about EVC - you rented at the parks? Would an EVC fit in a WL regular room? Thought about upgrading to deluxe room but that's a lot of $$$.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #1016
Raya
Mouseketeer

Waffles & Special Requests

First to whoever brought up those Mickey Waffles! I'm a huge waffle fan and I had no idea they existed. After seeing those pictures I have to try them all! Does anyone know if they'll do one of each type of waffle on a plate?

I think we finally decided on our three room requests. Tell me what ya'll think:
Quiet Room
High Floor
Lots of Sunlight (West or East facing windows, please)

We have a woods view room, so I don't know if there are West or East facing windows but we live in a heavily wooded area, so I'm really hoping to see a sunset or sunrise, or even take a nap in the sunlight.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #1017
AussieSing
Earning My Ears

Well we have booked our first stay at WL as part of the free dining promo from Dec 12 to 17, doing a split stay, first off at POFQ then WL. Reading the thread and catching up on what the resort has to offer, so looking forward to it.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #1018
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya View Post
First to whoever brought up those Mickey Waffles! I'm a huge waffle fan and I had no idea they existed. After seeing those pictures I have to try them all! Does anyone know if they'll do one of each type of waffle on a plate?

I think we finally decided on our three room requests. Tell me what ya'll think:
Quiet Room
High Floor

We have a woods view room, so I don't know if there are West or East facing windows but we live in a heavily wooded area, so I'm really hoping to see a sunset or sunrise, or even take a nap in the sunlight.
Your waffle request should be able to be accommodated.

As for your room requested, we had a CL/Courtyard view in the North Wing and watched the sunrise every morning, off to the left. Most rooms, except the suites face North or South. If you can splurge the upgrade to courtyard view, North Wing would allow you to see the sunrise; a 'Bear Face Room' those at the bottom of the 'U' directly face bay lake and you will be able to see the sunrise by looking straight out your balcony. There are two other rooms directly facing bay lake each next to the Yellowstone and Yosemite suites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSing View Post
Well we have booked our first stay at WL as part of the free dining promo from Dec 12 to 17, doing a split stay, first off at POFQ then WL. Reading the thread and catching up on what the resort has to offer, so looking forward to it.
Enjoy!
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #1019
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya View Post

Quiet Room
High Floor

You should also request an open balcony if you want lots of sunshine. The top floor has a dormer roof, so the balconies are enclosed and it makes the room a little darker.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #1020
Raya
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You should also request an open balcony if you want lots of sunshine. The top floor has a dormer roof, so the balconies are enclosed and it makes the room a little darker.
I thought you could only make 3 requests? Or can I be sneaky and say
"lots of light/open balcony" ?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: