Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #706
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran
 
CuteAsMinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,725

Reagansdaddy, thanks for the mini trip report! Sounds like a fabulous trip!!. You are so right about mid-day bresks! We arrive Friday morning.
__________________
CBR - 1989 (first trip)
CBR - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 1998, 2001, 2005, 2007
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline  
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #707
yaksack
DIS Veteran
 
yaksack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 733

After I put the kids to sleep, is there a place where parents go talk over a drink in the hotel? I am looking to relax after a day at the parks. Maybe swap some park advice, complain about the kids, etc. We will be visiting 7/29 to 8/7.
__________________
Yo, Ho!


Prior to 1997 - Too young or too drunk to remember
1997 - Honeymoon - Wilderness Lodge
2001 - WL
2002 - POFQ
2004 - WL
2006 - VWL
2008 - AKLV and BCV
2009 - VWL
2011 - Treehouses/Bay Lake Tower
2013 - VWL

632

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
yaksack is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #708
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran
 
Princess Leia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo Mad View Post
Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice.

We are hoping to stay at the Wilderness Lodge next September (2014) for 15 nights. It will be my husband and myself in one room and my father in another room. He has issues walking (bad knees) and I'm wondering what the best room location for us would be.... His determined not to rent a scooter

I've seen the standard views, and I'm hoping that we can afford a wood view, maybe of the castle if possible, but I don't want to be too far away from the facilities. My father is also a light sleeper, so I don't think the rooms in the lobby would work. We will be using the bus/boat for transport and also Roaring Forks for breakfast most mornings.

Any advice would be greatly received


Oh and can you tell me if they have toasters in Roaring Forks please?
Thank you
Nikki
Just to let you know there is a toaster and microwave at Roaring Forks. We booked standard view and only discovered we had been upgraded when we went out onto our balcony.
Princess Leia is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #709
fla4fun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: near Orlando
Posts: 8,646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo Mad View Post
Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice.

We are hoping to stay at the Wilderness Lodge next September (2014) for 15 nights. It will be my husband and myself in one room and my father in another room. He has issues walking (bad knees) and I'm wondering what the best room location for us would be.... His determined not to rent a scooter

I've seen the standard views, and I'm hoping that we can afford a wood view, maybe of the castle if possible, but I don't want to be too far away from the facilities. My father is also a light sleeper, so I don't think the rooms in the lobby would work. We will be using the bus/boat for transport and also Roaring Forks for breakfast most mornings.

Any advice would be greatly received

Oh and can you tell me if they have toasters in Roaring Forks please?
Thank you
Nikki
The bus and boat are at opposite ends of the resort. Personally, I would choose the south side to be closer to the buses, since there is also an MK bus you can use. If you can get a room on the lobby level (2nd floor), it's very convenient for accessing the gift shop and bus stop, and there is an elevator about halfway down the hall that will take you to the ground floor to easily access Roaring Forks and the pool (much closer than the walk around through the lobby area).

Regardless, there will be a lot of walking for him either way - that's just how a Disney vacation is.

My mom was stubborn about an ECV when she first started needing one. Two things happened to change her mind. First, we went to MK and she felt so bad we just sat on a bench for about three hours before we could even think about making our way out of the park and back to the resort. The next day, I simply rented an ECV at the park, and told her I was renting it, and if she didn't want to use it, I would. She decided it was worth a try, and the park touring went much better after that. You don't have to use it all the time. She would park it and walk into shops, restaurants, and attraction queues. But it eliminated probably 70% of the walking and she had much more stamina and much less pain. I hope you can convince him to change his mind, at least about using one in the parks.

As far as noise, I haven't found the lobby rooms to be too bad at night. However, I always have a white noise machine with me (used to be a travel alarm, now it's an app on the iPod) because you can have noisy neighbors anywhere in any hotel. You might want to consider something like that if he has issues with noises waking him up. For some reason, people forget and use their "outside" voices when walking in hotel hallways . . . .
fla4fun is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #710
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfromNL View Post
OK, so I've been back from an absolutely fabulous trip. Have been back for a while in fact.

I will write a tripreport with some pics later but right now I'm finding it hard to find time and energy for that.

You see I'd hardly been back for a day when they told me they were cutting my job , nice huh? Looks like I'll be out of work somewhere in september or whenever they finally make up their minds.
Been really busy trying to find something else, so far no luck.

I am glad though we decided to take the trip this year then, unless I find another job that pays so well as this one does no more fabulous trips like this one. (Queen Mary II to New York and then two weeks of WDW)

I will go and show and tell you some more with a TripReport later on.
Sorry that I missed multi-quoting you the other day and yesterday I couldn't get around to posting. I do hope you find another job quickly and can start planning another WDW trip soon Can't wait to read your TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
No sad to say no WL planning happening here. I'm being really cheap with my DVC points for this next trip .... staying AKV (standard view) and OKW. I love both of those resorts but WL is still my favorite .... it's just HOME! Yesterday I did add 3 nights at CSR (ap rate) at the beginning of my trip.

Just so you know I'm always on this thread ..... lurking and reading .... maybe I'll just have to wave at you so you'll know I'm here.

50 days for me!!!
Lurking and reading works for me, with the occasional pop in, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Having just spent a night on the CL level following our wedding (also at the Lodge), I give a big thumbs up for room 7084. It's across the foyer from the snacks and drinks, but the balcony offers grand views of Wishes while sitting. If only they'd pipe in the music. . .
At the CR, the Wishes music is played on channel 20, but I've never checked at other resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskids2 View Post
Hi all!!! Checked yesterday morning for our first stay at the WL. Love this resort. So compact peaceful. We arrived at 930 at MCO. Right on ME. WL first stop b4 POLY. CR and GF. Our courtyard view room. 5075 was ready and exactly what I asked for. Inner courtyard open balcony high floor. We went to DHS (thanks Josh from easy WDW). Got FP to TSM for 6 pm. Returned to room around 8 EXHAUSTED!!! Luggage and garden grocer order arrived. Refrig in room. Received an email inviting me to test FP+ for Be Our Guest. Picked day time and meal desired for vacation party. Can't wait to see how this works. Looking forward to EPCOT today. Thanks all!!!! Love this place
Great report! Please let us know about your FP+ experience. Have a great Epcot day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo Mad View Post
Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice.

We are hoping to stay at the Wilderness Lodge next September (2014) for 15 nights. It will be my husband and myself in one room and my father in another room. He has issues walking (bad knees) and I'm wondering what the best room location for us would be.... His determined not to rent a scooter

I've seen the standard views, and I'm hoping that we can afford a wood view, maybe of the castle if possible, but I don't want to be too far away from the facilities. My father is also a light sleeper, so I don't think the rooms in the lobby would work. We will be using the bus/boat for transport and also Roaring Forks for breakfast most mornings.

Any advice would be greatly received

Oh and can you tell me if they have toasters in Roaring Forks please?
Thank you
Nikki
Welcome! You might also want to note any mobility issues in your reservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryCM View Post
Well, I had to change my dates for my trip, but only by 2 days!! We now go on the 27th to the 4th. Was very worried I wasn't going to be able to keep my room, but we did. Flights were the same price too, love the no change fee on Southwest!!
I'll update the log

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansdaddy View Post
I wanted to post and let you all know a little bit of our experience at Disney. We were there from 6/24-6/30 and stayed on the Club Level. We had room 7042 which gave us a view of the MK castle and bunk beds. It was truly the experience of a lifetime.

It's still hard to know where to begin, so let me just give you some random thoughts in bullet points. I apologize if some of these are not Wilderness Lodge specific.

- We took full advantage of the IPO prior to arriving. It was a huge burden lifted off of me to be able to contact someone with questions and to have them be able to do all of our reservations at the 180 day mark. They were able to accommodate several changes as well leading up to our trip.

- The Magic Express service was simply amazing. I'm still in awe of the logistics of WDW in general and the Magic Express in particular ran like clock work.

- The club level staff were all amazing. Kelly showed us to our room and was so friendly and helpful throughout our stay. At one point, they even let me use their computer to print off a touring plan when we made some modifications. One morning I went down to the desk and one of the CMs was dealing with a really obnoxious guest. The woman was rude and unreasonable. It was pretty clear that the only thing that would make her happy was getting money back. The CM was kind, patient, and solved her problem in a number of different ways.

- We used the WL child care service one evening. It was pricey, but my kids enjoyed their stay there. One note of caution, the meal they provided was not enough food for my daughter who was on an adult meal plan.

- The pool-side activities in the afternoon were awesome. My kids had a grand time. There is so much to do just at the resort that you could vacation there for 3 or 4 days and never go to a park and still have a wonderful time! We roasted marshmallows, watched the floating parade, and swam. They also show a movie on the beach each night!

- Speaking of swimming.....the pool is top notch. The life guards are attentive and well trained. Lots of towels available all day, so don't pack beach towels. The only negative was the lack of beach chairs. Some guests would obviously hoard the chairs which led to a shortage. We stuck to using one chair for our family when the pool was busy. I wish others would do the same. I'd like to see the staff be more proactive about keeping people from "saving" chairs that they are not using.

- Had two dinners and two breakfasts at Whispering Canyon. LOTS of food and pretty good as well. The breakfast in particular was outstanding. My wife and I had dinner at Artist Pointe one evening and while it was good, it didn't quite live up to the expectation I had built for it. That's probably more my fault than theirs.

- On our first evening at the resort, we were taking a stroll around the grounds to get our bearings and one of the CMs showed us an alligator that was right off the beach near the Teton Boat Rental! It was about a four footer! We never saw it again, but it was cool.

- I have read comments from time to time abut the WL rooms being small. While I have nothing to compare against at WDW resorts, I will say that we did not find the room to be small. We felt like we had plenty of space for all four of us throughout the week.

- Mousekeeping did a great job with the room. We tipped each day but we never got any towel animals. I hadn't mentioned this to the kids so they weren't disappointed, but I was a little upset that we didn't get even a single one despite a generous daily tip. Oh well, not a huge deal especially since they had the room clean every day.

- If you're planning a trip and have small kids, I cannot say enough how much the mid-day break meant for us. It was critical to the enjoyment of the parks and each other. I simply cannot imagine not coming back to the resort for a few hours each day to unwind and rest. I know that some will disagree with me on that, but it was exactly what my family needed every day. Plus, being able to come back to a place as wonderful as WL made it easy!

That's all I can think of at the moment. I've missed the thread so now I need to do some catching up. When we left, I was looking at this as a once in a lifetime trip, but now, I'm already looking at ways we can go back again next year! Please let me know if you have any questions!
What a great review and I think you covered it all. Thanks for posting about your experience and helping others who are planning vacations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstouder View Post
Any updates on the fridge removal for WL? We check in on 8/11.
I posted a few days ago that there were few WL fridges that needed replacement and those would be replaced by the end of last week. So is should be fridge business as usual at WL

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
Looking for some advice here from some of you WL experts. I have been to the WL three times, all staying concierge. With concierge I never made a request for any views and took what came my way. Once was fantastic, another ok, and the first visit not so good.

Question is this; with my upcoming trip I am booked for a courtyard view. What wing, rooms, or area should I request that has some great views? I've looked at the maps but still not certain. I don't really mind if it's a long walk to the CS or lobby. I'm just hoping to be able to relax at the end of a day and enjoy a cold soda while looking out at a nice view.
I have a reply to KerryCM a couple of pages back that you might find helpful regarding your CL view question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Leia View Post
Welcome. I'm typing this from the lobby of the WL. At MK for opening - met all the long lost friends. Son had just got in the pool for the first time when lightning hit. He was out faster than he got in.
Those FL thunderstorms can be loud and disruptive. Hope DS was able to get back in later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Minnie View Post
Since Thanksgiving is late this year, when will the decorations go-up at WL?
I'll see if I can get a definitive answer in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey918 View Post
Hi! I am a lurker who decided to come out of hiding I found this board to be very helpful when I was planning our first stay at WL last September.

We just booked another trip for 9/20 - 9/27/14 at WL for our 10 year anniversary ... if only it wasn't so far away!
Welcome! Glad you decided to post. I'll add your dates to our Lodgers' Log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksack View Post
After I put the kids to sleep, is there a place where parents go talk over a drink in the hotel? I am looking to relax after a day at the parks. Maybe swap some park advice, complain about the kids, etc. We will be visiting 7/29 to 8/7.
The Territory Lounge is in between WCC and AP and would be the perfect spot for discussing your cranky kids and/or spouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
The bus and boat are at opposite ends of the resort. Personally, I would choose the south side to be closer to the buses, since there is also an MK bus you can use. If you can get a room on the lobby level (2nd floor), it's very convenient for accessing the gift shop and bus stop, and there is an elevator about halfway down the hall that will take you to the ground floor to easily access Roaring Forks and the pool (much closer than the walk around through the lobby area).

Regardless, there will be a lot of walking for him either way - that's just how a Disney vacation is.

My mom was stubborn about an ECV when she first started needing one. Two things happened to change her mind. First, we went to MK and she felt so bad we just sat on a bench for about three hours before we could even think about making our way out of the park and back to the resort. The next day, I simply rented an ECV at the park, and told her I was renting it, and if she didn't want to use it, I would. She decided it was worth a try, and the park touring went much better after that. You don't have to use it all the time. She would park it and walk into shops, restaurants, and attraction queues. But it eliminated probably 70% of the walking and she had much more stamina and much less pain. I hope you can convince him to change his mind, at least about using one in the parks.

As far as noise, I haven't found the lobby rooms to be too bad at night. However, I always have a white noise machine with me (used to be a travel alarm, now it's an app on the iPod) because you can have noisy neighbors anywhere in any hotel. You might want to consider something like that if he has issues with noises waking him up. For some reason, people forget and use their "outside" voices when walking in hotel hallways . . . .
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #711
Wendy5055
DIS Veteran
 
Wendy5055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 814

We will be at the WL 7/25 to 7/30 and can't wait!!!! I do have a question...I am meeting up with my best friend while she is in FL, will we be able to use the pool even though she is not a guest? Lounging by the pool enjoying a drink with my BF would be awesome!!!!
__________________
Me & DD11
BFF & BFFDD9 & BFFDD13


Contemporary, July 2014
Wilderness Lodge, July 2013
Grand Floridian, July 2011
Polynesian, April 2010
Grand Floridian, May 2009
POP Century Aug/Sept 2008
POP Century October 2005
POFQ 1998
Offsite 1995
Offsite 1st Time EVER WDW 1985!!!
Wendy5055 is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #712
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 45,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy5055 View Post
We will be at the WL 7/25 to 7/30 and can't wait!!!! I do have a question...I am meeting up with my best friend while she is in FL, will we be able to use the pool even though she is not a guest? Lounging by the pool enjoying a drink with my BF would be awesome!!!!
Technically, no, if she is not a guest of the resort. You'll need to check with the lifeguard to make sure. If the pool is busy, they might not allow her in the pool and might check KTTW for each guest.

If you have space in your room and haven't reached occupancy limits, you could add her to your room and she could have a KTTW.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #713
grkmbee
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansdaddy View Post
We had room 7042 which gave us a view of the MK castle and bunk beds.
Do you remember if the room is a connecting room? This sounds like the exact type of room we'd love for our August trip!
grkmbee is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #714
grkmbee
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 133

[QUOTE=fla4fun;48978276] However, I always have a white noise machine with me (used to be a travel alarm, now it's an app on the iPod) because you can have noisy neighbors anywhere in any hotel.QUOTE]

What app do you like? I've been meaning to search for one. We often use fans at home for white noise but while on vacation I'd love to have a good app for that!

Thanks!
grkmbee is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #715
Jersey918
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkmbee

Do you remember if the room is a connecting room? This sounds like the exact type of room we'd love for our August trip!
When we stayed in September we were in room 7054 which had a view of the castle and was a connecting room.
__________________
Jersey918 is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #716
jlraposa
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 15

Staying in a 2bedroom villa... First time stay at WL. Any great room recommendations? I've heard 5th floor odd rooms.
__________________
Coming soon 2/2014 - WLV
8/2012- POLY 5/2012- POLY
10/2011- POLY 8/2010- POLY
8/2009- POLY 4/2007- AS
7/2005 - POLY 7/2004- POR
7/2001- POLY 3/1996- POR
3/1995- AS 6/1994- POR
1/1992- OFFSITE 5/1989- DLAND
5/1986- POLY 5/1984- POLY
5/1982- OFFSITE
jlraposa is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #717
jugglinfish
Mouseketeer
 
jugglinfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 203

Fridge?

MouseSavers has a report that all mini-fridges have been removed from all rooms as of July 10. Can any one who has been at WL recently confirm this? We were really counting on a fridge in our room snacks and meals for our extremely picky eater.

We'll be at WL Aug 23-29. (My ticker is old and I can't figure out how to put in a new one.)
__________________
jugglinfish is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #718
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,563

So it was 90 degrees and very humid here today. And here I am dreaming of Christmas time at the Wilderness Lodge.
It still seems pretty far away but I am sure 5 months will pass quickly.
Has anyone done the carriage ride at Fort Wilderness during the Christmas Holidays? Is it possible to walk over there? I am pretty sure I read you could but I can't remember where I saw that.
__________________
pigletto is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #719
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran
 
Princess Leia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglinfish View Post
MouseSavers has a report that all mini-fridges have been removed from all rooms as of July 10. Can any one who has been at WL recently confirm this? We were really counting on a fridge in our room snacks and meals for our extremely picky eater.

We'll be at WL Aug 23-29. (My ticker is old and I can't figure out how to put in a new one.)
We have been at Wilderness Lodge since July 11th and fridge is working as normal.
Princess Leia is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #720
oneprincessjo
Mouseketeer
 
oneprincessjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Welcome! 2013 only refers to when the new thread was posted. Feel free to discuss anything WL/VWL/WDW-related here. We have dates in our Lodger's Log for 2014 so I'd be happy to add you to the first page.

The lobby story time isn't listed in the monthly activity sheet that I have hyperlinked on the first page. But, I can find out more for you in 17 days!
Yes please!! I would love to be added!! My dates are October 19th - 24th 2014 and we will be staying on the club level :D :D
__________________



February 25th - March 1st 2008: Wilderness Lodge - Honeymoon and First EVER Disney World Trip!!!
November 28th - December 3rd 2010: Wilderness Lodge
February 26th - March 1st 2012: Bay Lake Tower
November 24th 2012: Old Key West
November 25th - 29th 2012: Bay Lake Tower
January 23rd 2014: Beach Club Villas
January 24th - 31st 2014: Bay Lake Tower
oneprincessjo is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: