Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #2611
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
As I speak, the news just came on to say Disney is no longer allowing handicap visitors to skip to the head of the line. Sad that people abused this benefit and now Disney has to stop it.

More on the GAC:

Disney to make changes to Guest Assistance Card program?

Leah Zanolla | Posted: Sep 22, 2013 | Updated: Sep 23, 2013 - 10:18:10 AM

According to Kevin Yee of Micechat.com, the current Guest Assistance Card (GAC) at the Disneyland Resort will be replaced October 9 with a new program called the Disabled Assistance System (DAS). The plan is that this will be rolled out at Walt Disney World after it's tested in the California parks first. The GACs are used for guests who may require extra assistance in the parks. The DAS will be similar to the way the GACs work at rides like Star Tours, where the card holder is given a hand-written return time for the ride. This time is determined by the wait time in the standby line. Kiosks will be set up around the park where participants in the DAS program can go to set up their return time for the next attraction they would like to visit. Using the same method currently used with the hand-written Star Tours return card, guests will be given a return time based on the published standby wait time. Like with the current FastPass system, only one DAS return time can be had at one time. Currently, GAC holders can walk up to any attraction and use their card at any given time.

Unlike the current system, DAS cards will only be valid for one day. Guests will need to check in with Guest Relations to get their card, and will have their photo taken to be printed on the card. This will ensure that the correct cardholder be present to experience the ride or attraction and that the card cannot be used by another individual.

Changes involving wheelchair accessibility at the Disneyland parks are being enacted as well. At Disney California Adventure, "all queues and park facilities meet ADA requirements for wheelchair accessibility." Because of this, no extra accommodations will be extended to persons using a wheelchair or ECV and they may not qualify for a DAS card, unless there are other factors to take into account. There are 55 ride vehicle attractions at Disneyland; 38 of those queues are equipped for wheelchair access. At Walt Disney World, there are 46 ride vehicle attractions; 38 queues are wheelchair accessible.

When a ride queue is not accessible by wheelchair, a special accommodation of using the exit or FastPass entrance will be available, just as it is now. Eventually, all ride queues will be converted to be wheelchair accessible.

This new system will not apply to Make-A-Wish children visiting the theme parks. They will still have an unlimited FastPass so they can experience the parks without the long waits.

The GAC program has long been plagued by misuse and most recently, made national news when a travel company began selling the opportunity to take a disabled tour guide into the parks and use their GAC to have faster access to the attractions. The hope is that with this new system in place, the opportunity for this abuse will disappear.

Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown told the Orange County Register, "The current way certainly has been problematic, and we wanted to curb some of the abuse of this system."

Old 09-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #2612
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
i knew this was coming after that child drown at Pop a few months ago. Sad..I love to go at night and get in the hot tub before bed..but then again, I don't think I have been out late except one time in August.

I don't think I will like looking at ugly fences either. I remember how pretty the YC pool was before they put all the fencing up to prevent people from going in.
Yes, many logistical issues with fencing off the WL pool area.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #2613
sweetnjmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Yes, many logistical issues with fencing off the WL pool area.
How quickly will this be happening? Will there be fence construction in the coming months? Though from the pics, I can't see how easily this will be done.

Past trips off property: 4/80, 1/81, 6/94 and 5/09
Past trips on property: 8/90 GF, 10/96 CBR, 11/01 ASM, 5/02 POR, 5/06 CSR, 11/13 WL
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #2614
LumosQ102
How many days left on the countdown?

Its a whole 34 days until I am back at the lodge - can't wait! We stayed for the first time back in February / March of this year for 2 weeks in a courtyard view and just fell in love. We got very lucky with the room too - room 4159, almost at the end of the corridor so a long walk from the lobby, but a snip to get to the pool via the stairs, and of course to the boat dock.

Our room on arrival evening. I was rather surprised by the size of the room after the amount of comments you see about it being small.

Terrible picture, but this is the view towards the lobby from the balcony of room 4159 by night.

by day

towards the pool.

the view of the Electrical Water Pageant was rather fabulous too.

This is one of my favourite views from the Lodge - at the end of the boat dock. Blissful

And the view back towards to path to the hotel. Lovely.

The biggest treat for the time of year we were there was the little chicklets who were in residence. Every morning they would be waiting for the pool to be opened (really - whilst the pool closed sign was up and the CM was cleaning, the chicks and mummy duck would either be waiting by the side of the pool or in the kiddy pool - adorable to watch whilst having coffee on the balcony).

Here they are in the lake. Taking pictures of the pool makes me feel a little creepy, but one of the highlights of the stay was swimming with the chicklets in the pool one afternoon. Lovely

Mummy duck joined us on the boat dock very early one morning.

I'll leave it here - early morning view of the boat dock.

I'm trying to visit different hotels on next year's visits but by golly its going to be difficult to stay anywhere else.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #2615
goofynut41
Disney Veteran

Guess I've got to quit looking at this forum... the pictures are making me sad I can't say here....

Old 09-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #2616
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumosQ102 View Post
Its a whole 34 days until I am back at the lodge - can't wait! We stayed for the first time back in February / March of this year for 2 weeks in a courtyard view and just fell in love. We got very lucky with the room too - room 4159, almost at the end of the corridor so a long walk from the lobby, but a snip to get to the pool via the stairs, and of course to the boat dock.

I'm trying to visit different hotels on next year's visits but by golly its going to be difficult to stay anywhere else.

Great pics, and a neat room location that I hadn't thought much about. It shows you don't need a high floor to have a neat view. Hopefully you get a room you enjoy just as much for your next trip very soon.

We totally agree about visiting other resorts. At first we thought we'd want to stay somewhere different after our honeymoon, then we thought we'd do one more trip to WL and figure out where else we'd like to stay. Now we love to walk around other resorts, but haven't found one compelling enough to pull us away from WL for the price.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #2617
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this thread, never stayed at the WL before but just books a trip for this coming December (5-10 if you wanna add me to the list). All we were able to book was a deluxe club level room, so not only is this my first time at the WL it's also my first time staying CL. We normally stay at monorail resorts but they were all booked up for our days so I'm hoping we will love the WL just as much as we do the monorail resorts. I think it'll be really nice and cozy durning the winter time and I'm excited to see the Christmas decorations both at the Lodge and in the parks.

Does anyone who has stayed in a deluxe club room have a suggestion of anything I should put in as a request? I'm not sure if I even need to make a request, as I haven't yet, but if you have any suggestions I'm open to it!

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions, but right now I'm just checking out this thread and enjoying all the information!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #2618
JinxedSydney
Lurker Extraordinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
[CENTER]More on the GAC:

Disney to make changes to Guest Assistance Card program?
Thanks for the update. Sad that it had to come to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
We totally agree about visiting other resorts. At first we thought we'd want to stay somewhere different after our honeymoon, then we thought we'd do one more trip to WL and figure out where else we'd like to stay. Now we love to walk around other resorts, but haven't found one compelling enough to pull us away from WL for the price.
We had originally booked at POR because of the price difference. Our TA was able to get us in at a conference rate and we actually saved money staying at WL!!! Okay...under $100, but we were so excited to return to WL that there wasn't much of a discussion between the DH and I!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #2619
gschon
Mouseketeer

I was checking all of the drawers, yesterday morning at 10:30(because our daughter-5- helped us unpack)..I noticed the packet under the bible and decided to look at it...and found the "bounce back/ free dining offer" So, I booked it for same time next year!

Other news...

The fried chicken and ribs at "Hoop-Dee-Doo" are awesome, possibly better than Prime Time Café.

The Wilderness Lodge is still awesome, and they have a lot of ketchup.

The MNSSHP is pretty fun. But, wont be absolutely mandatory next year.

We only had one really rainy day, otherwise a few showers.

The dwarves mine train ride looks pretty big, like it might be as good as Thunder Mountain.

Our girl was not quite ready for Tower of Terror.

Had a few days where we waited 45 minutes for a Bus, and a few days where we walked right on.

*****The new refrigerators are really cold****

The Bartenders at the Trout Pass remembered me, I was impressed. But, maybe that's not a good thing?

Dixie Landings

Caribbean Beach Resort, September 2014
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #2620
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

Whoa! I will be checking in Wednesday!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #2621
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschon View Post

The Bartenders at the Trout Pass remembered me, I was impressed. But, maybe that's not a good thing?
Victoria Falls bartenders at AKL know me... Which is really sad!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #2622
lffam
Mouseketeer

31 days till we leave down under and then another 5 days till WL! What is the advantage of checking in on line? We haven't been before so would need a bit of a run through of the resort. We also want to ask about Flag Family. I thought I read that with checkin you by passed the main CM areas??

Wilderness Lodge Pictures of this fantastic Disney Resort

Trip Report - very late but In progress

LF Fam - just initials of the Family!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #2623
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lffam View Post
What is the advantage of checking in on line?

When you do online check-in, you aren't really checking in. All you are doing is providing information before you arrive that you normally provide when you arrive and check in. You will confirm your personal information and provide a credit card for room charging privileges. Then when you arrive, your information packet and KTTWs are printed and ready for you.

Quote:
We haven't been before so would need a bit of a run through of the resort.
You will still get that even if you do online check in. After you get the run down, you can ask as many questions as you need to.

Quote:
We also want to ask about Flag Family. I thought I read that with checkin you by passed the main CM areas??
Not really. There is a different line if you did online check in, but it's in the same area. And you can definitely ask about being the Flag Family.

Enjoy!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #2624
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
No bounce-back?

I just got back from staying at VWL and never received a bounce-back offer. Is that something they email? I thought it was slipped under the door on check-out day.
It's well concealed now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
The bounce back is now tucked into your welcome packet instead of being laid out on the table.
Ours was still intact hidden in the middle the "BoG" Guide. I've heard that some are already torn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryCM View Post
I cannot believe in only 4 more days I will be on my way to the WL!!!! have to start deciding what shorts and t shirts to pack!!!!!!!! I am only bringing one suitcase since we plan on just using the pool everyday and only visiting a couple parks. Going to MNSSHP on Friday and have dinner in Epcot on Saturday. Going to just relax and enjoy the resort this trip.

We will be heading down to the Beach Club in just 71 more days for our family trip where we will be in all parks everyday with our children and grandchildren!!!
Lots of fun planning and packing ahead, Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofynut41 View Post
WELL.... looks like we will just be visiting the WONDERFUL WILDERNESS LODGE instead of staying there... funds just didn't add up like I wanted them too... BUT we still are going staying at SOG and hoping to go back in Sept of next year, SOG again... got a really good rate for then.. two trips still less than one visit to the Lodge. Maybe in the future we can come back and stay here again.... Gonna spend a lot of time at the lodge tho, got two dining reservations here.. So if you need to take me off the log go ahead... BUT I'm still going to DISNEYWORLD!!!!!
Oh no, so sorry! It can be hard to have your mind set on one thing and then have to make a switch. But, SoG is a great deal, has some of the largest rooms on-property, is right across the street from Poly, and you can get lots of goodies at the Shoppette there, too. You're still at WDW and I know you're going to have a great time dining at WL. I'm leaving you Logged and just changing you to SoG. You'll be at WL again, I'm sure
Old 09-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #2625
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnjmom View Post
How quickly will this be happening? Will there be fence construction in the coming months? Though from the pics, I can't see how easily this will be done.
Fences will begin going up in November, but IDK when they will be completed. On a separate "Fence" thread, someone posted a photo of the GC at DLR. Its fence is covered in foliage and obscured/camouflaged. But the GC was built with the fence, it wasn't an afterthought like the WDWR fences will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumosQ102 View Post

I'm going to post a link to your room view photos on the first page. Love the bunnies - thank you for posting. You'll be there again SOON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofynut41 View Post
Guess I've got to quit looking at this forum... the pictures are making me sad I can't say here....
Just something to look forward to on a future visit. Hope you'll stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
WL is a great value and very hard to beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this thread, never stayed at the WL before but just books a trip for this coming December (5-10 if you wanna add me to the list). All we were able to book was a deluxe club level room, so not only is this my first time at the WL it's also my first time staying CL. We normally stay at monorail resorts but they were all booked up for our days so I'm hoping we will love the WL just as much as we do the monorail resorts. I think it'll be really nice and cozy durning the winter time and I'm excited to see the Christmas decorations both at the Lodge and in the parks.

Does anyone who has stayed in a deluxe club room have a suggestion of anything I should put in as a request? I'm not sure if I even need to make a request, as I haven't yet, but if you have any suggestions I'm open to it!

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions, but right now I'm just checking out this thread and enjoying all the information!
Welcome to the WL/VWL thread! So all that you could book was a Deluxe room? Were you able to apply a discount? I'm surprised that the entire resort would be full then, except for the Deluxe rooms. I've never been able to apply a discount to one, so I've never stayed in one, but I know others have. There aren't any on the CL floor, they are on floors 1-6. Some that front Bay Lake at the end of the North Wing have a view that's obstructed by trees near the dock. There are 25 Deluxe rooms, so I'm sure if you look at the Deluxe room location map, you'll find a spot or two you like. Happy planning!

There are photos/map and information about the Deluxe rooms HERE on the first page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschon View Post
I was checking all of the drawers, yesterday morning at 10:30(because our daughter-5- helped us unpack)..I noticed the packet under the bible and decided to look at it...and found the "bounce back/ free dining offer" So, I booked it for same time next year!

Other news...

The fried chicken and ribs at "Hoop-Dee-Doo" are awesome, possibly better than Prime Time Café.

The Wilderness Lodge is still awesome, and they have a lot of ketchup.

The MNSSHP is pretty fun. But, wont be absolutely mandatory next year.

We only had one really rainy day, otherwise a few showers.

The dwarves mine train ride looks pretty big, like it might be as good as Thunder Mountain.

Our girl was not quite ready for Tower of Terror.

Had a few days where we waited 45 minutes for a Bus, and a few days where we walked right on.

*****The new refrigerators are really cold****

Great information and update - thanks! I wonder if someone ripped their BB out and the Lodgekeeper didn't notice it there. Did you still have one in the BoG guide?

You bus experience sounds like ours in August. I was told that each park dispatches their own buses. I think some do a better job than others.

Enjoy your stay and thanks for checking in with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post

Enjoy!
Mornin'
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: