Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #211
Disneyluvr81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie22 View Post

They probably give them to honeymooners. We'll survive wherever they assign us. DH has now decided he does not want to be off the lobby, also.
When we were there for our honeymoon the first room they gave us was a 1st floor king bed room. Wasn't keen on being on the first floor but the girl checking us in was all excited she was able to find us a king room (we had not requested one). Gave it a chance, walked in to the room only to find that it wasn't just a king bed but one of the handicap accessible rooms.

We asked to have our room changed and they said the only other king room were all HA too. After explaining we were happy with 2 queens they switched us to a 5th or 6th floor room. DH & I are not tall and queen beds are plenty big enough for us.

Not sure if more king rooms are HA than not but just a heads up if you do get assigned to a king room. We much preferred having the normal bathroom setup, but that is just our preference.

A Tale of Two Castles and a Dumbo Double Dare for Good Measure - a Sept 13 TR
Two Castles in 24 Hours...Bring it On! A Sept 2013 PTR

Jan 2015 - Dopey / Nov 2014 - Wine & Dine / Aug 2014 - DVC Cruise / April 2014 - Family Trip / Feb 2014 - Princess Weekend / Sept 2013 - Anniversary / Jan 2013 - WDW Marathon / Sept 2011 - Anniversary / Dec 2009 - Xmas Trip / Sept 2008 - Honeymoon / Jan 2007 - 1st Trip

Last edited by Disneyluvr81; 05-27-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #212
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disd55 View Post
There aren't any planned refurbs for the time you are planning at VWL. Although, since hat is a while away, that is subject to change. If you loved the WL you will definitely NOT be disappointed with the VWL. Even if the rooms are a little old, that old, rustic feel makes the Wilderness feeling all that better!
Thank you! I think my plan will be to rent points for 2 studios at VWL for our Oct./Nov. 2014 trip. If that doesn't work out I'm going to have to choose a moderate as my back up plan. We sure do miss WL already though so I hope it all works out.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #213
monty
DIS Veteran

Club Level Question

If staying club level are you allowed to take drinks and/or food back to your room, or do you have to sit in the lounge?
2005 WDW: Wilderness Lodge
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2010 Disneyland Paris

WDW and Disneyland on the one trip!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #214
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
If staying club level are you allowed to take drinks and/or food back to your room, or do you have to sit in the lounge?
You can take drinks back to your room!!! We checked in late our first night and our room was well stocked with snacks, cookies, sodas, milk

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #215
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Well, no club level or geyser, but boy, the price per square foot sure is less. But, the boat ride to the MK is a bit longer from the Smokies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
Checked in at 1pm. We're pulled out of long check in line since we did online check in. Room was ready at 1pm which is what we said our arrival time was. Most ppl in the Line has ready rooms too. We got a king bed on floor 6 Inner courtyard! I called for box fan and had one in the room in 20 mins. It's very busy here. The pool is packed right now. Hard to find chair but did! We are very happy to be "home!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYMOM View Post
I have to change my ticker. It was Fort Wilderness but we changed to WL
Fantastic!!!

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #216
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penitentmama View Post
I'm working on our ADR plans and have a little over a week until I can make our reservations!

I have a question about if you think we could get by without ADRs for a late breakfast and a late lunch at WCC on weekdays the first week of December? I know it sounds like there will be free dining then, but I am hoping that we can wing these two meals on our off days so we don't have to rush to be somewhere any particular time.

Appreciate everyone sharing their experience and we're so excited for our first trip to WDW and the Lodge!
I don't think you'll have a problem at breakfast or lunch, especially if you're a small party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdg View Post
We have a friend who tried to book a few days at WL during our trip... and there was no room! Not even a deluxe. I don't think I've ever been at WL when it's fully booked. Should be interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mggeary View Post
First WL trip in Nov! Booked for a standard room. Looking for advice for room request? Thinking a high floor room facing lobby may be best for us if this even qualifies as standard. Would be nice to be closer to lobby/bus. Northside near roaring forks also a plus. No interest in potential MK fireworks view as young kids will be hopefully sleeping by then. Any suggestions?
Welcome! A STD View room would be located close to the front of the resort in both the North and South Wings. The bus stop is located next to the South Wing and Roaring Fork in located on the North Side and the lobby is in the middle, so you'd have to make a decision on which side you'd like most. A high floor is doable, but you'd then have to decide if you want to be on the RF side or the bus stop side. Nothing takes very long to get to at WL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof1 View Post
Just booked our 3rd trip to WL. We have gone to AKL the last 4 trips, and I felt like I wanted to get back to WL !!! Booked a poolview room, which is what I usually book at every resort we stay at. I like to be close to pool, so that I can do laundry while we are resting by the pool. Looking forward to getting back to WDW, it's been over a year since our last trip
Welcome and congratulations on booking a Courtyard View room! With a CV room, you could have a view of the WL or VWL courtyard/pool area. If you would like to have a view of Bay Lake, the EWP and geyser, make sure you request an INNER or WL view.

None of the rooms are very far from the pool, but the laundry itself is very close to the pool and is near Roaring Fork QS and the exit door to the WL pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
On two of our stays at WL we have had the 'woods' view over the loading dock. The first time we really didn't want this view and requested pool view but we booked so late that the only availability was woods view.

It turned out that we LOVED that location. We saw Wishes from our room many nights.

On the next stay we requested woods view and got about the same location.

On reading an earlier post I see that there are also 'woods view' room views on the other, (south?), side of the resort.

My reservation is only notated as a preference for 'high floor woods view', should I call and change my request to 'north side woods view', or, 'loading dock woods view', or, 'north side woods view over loading dock that nobody else probably wants view'?

Welcome and thanks for the laugh! If you booked a Woods View, you don't need to request a view of the woods. You might want to instead request "North Wing - High Floor." If you want to ensure that you don't have a solid balcony railing, then you could change high floor to "5th floor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenRB View Post
We requested 5th or 6th floor woods view Otter Pond as well, hopefully we get it! Also...how was Whispering Canyon Cafe? Thinking about eating breakfast there a few days before we head to the parks. Is this considered TS or CS?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Here's another vote for WCC for breakfast, but we really like Trail's End, too - can you do both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifferf00 View Post
Just got back from 9 nights, and loved it. The resort was small, quiet, had plenty for the kids, the pool was nice. We really enjoyed our stay. The only negative I would say is the counter service restaurant can be slow, but still tolerable. I was skeptical going in, but am very happy with our stay there. The staff was exceptional nice, and helpful, they just made everything so easy. A true vacation.
So glad you had a great vacation at WL. Do you have plans to return?

We feel the same way about RF. Really wish they had the kiosk ordering so that you don't have to stand in line waiting for your food, then stand in line to pay as it gets cold, then hope to find a seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
Whispering Canyon Cafe is a table service restaurant. I had gluten free Mickey waffles, my first Mickey waffles ever, and they were very good. There is a counter service restaurant called Roaring Forks which had a nice breakfast platter for about $8.95 that had pancakes, scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon that my husband and I would split for breakfast, which we thought was a good bargain.

We might go over to Trail's End for the breakfast buffet when we are there in December. It looks really good.
You have to try the TE breakfast buffet - the BBQ Pulled Pork Eggs Benedict is delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyluvr81 View Post
Thank you for the idea about the PTR...I finally took the plunge and started it today - I added it to my signature. Hopefully it will help the time go by...although its looking like we are going to put our condo on the market within the next couple weeks if everything goes as planned and if that happens, the time between now and trip is going to go crazy!!

The cabin in the Smokies sounds so awesome...retro arcade games whenever you want, now that's my kind of vacation!!! Only thing that could make it better is if one of them was a pinball machine!!
I would be glued to the pinball machine if they had one!

I'm enjoying your first PTR and look forward to your TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansdaddy View Post
I just realized that one month from today, I will be having my morning coffee in the Old Faithful Club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkPirateMom View Post
Howdy!

I have been away from the DIS for quite some time due to PDD and no trip plans in the near future. We stayed at WL for the first time in November 2012 and fell in love with everything about the resort. I raved about it in the 2012 WL thread. I'm now in the preliminary daydreaming stages of our next trip. I'm aiming for Oct. 25-Nov. 2, 2014. We stayed the first week of November in 2012 and did MVMCP. I love that time of year in Disney but want to go a week earlier this time so we can do MNSSHP.

This next trip will be slightly different in that my teen daughter won't be coming (she will be going with her senior class in April of 2015 and unfortunately isn't a huge Disney lover like me so that is enough for her). My Mom will be coming with us this trip which will be her first trip to WDW since the early 80's. So it will be me, DH, DS who will be 5 at the time, and my Mom. She wants her own room or a suite/villa. That is complicating things...
I'm not sure we can afford 2 rooms at WL but I'm going to work really hard on saving. My son only wants to go back to "his hotel" and I asked my husband if he could stay anywhere on property where would it be and he said WL.

My other thought was VWL. We could get 2 studios for a lot less, but I'm afraid we will be disappointed in the rooms. We had the newly refurbed WL rooms last trip. It seems like the VWL rooms are in need of a refurb. Do you think we would be disappointed? Are there any plans for any room refurbs at VWL at this time?

Thanks so much, glad to be back here
Welcome back and feel free to daydream here anytime! Villas aren't on the same rehab schedule as non-DVC so they don't get rehabbed very often. I don't think that VWL is in need of a rehab, from what I've read. The beds do have those awful bed spreads that are very dated, so that might be why they seem in need. Have you thought about one two-bedroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNana View Post
We will be headed to the WL a week from today with our children, their spouses, and grandchildren to celebrate our 50th anniversary. This will be our 25th trip to Disney, and we have stayed in the resorts each time. Our children and grandchildren have made many trips without us, since we spend MUCH time cruising. The WL is the favorite for our family. Our first visit to Disney was in 1972. We stayed at the Contemporary for $28 a night. I still have the receipt in our memories closet. I have thought about framing it! What a change the years have made!!!
to the DIS and the WL/VWL thread! What a wonderful celebration you have coming up - congratulations on 50 YEARS. Where will you be dining for your anniversary? Do you have photos from your '72 stay at CR? I love retro resort photos.

I hope you'll post about your trip. Will you be doing a Trip Report (TR)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala3291 View Post
Hi Everyone! We are so excited about our upcoming first stay at the WL that begins one week from Tuesday!!

I just booked Hoop Dee Doo for June 7th at 4PM. I know there is a bus to FW, as well as a boat and a walking trail. We have to be there at about 3:15/3:30 PM. We plan to go to a park in the morning at RD, but I am thinking about being back at the resort by about 12:30ish to shower and get ready. I have three girls (22, 19, and 11), so it will be a process! What is the easiest/quickest way to get to Pioneer Hall from WL?

Thank you! We are so looking forward to our trip, I am already too excited to sleep!
As others have said, take the boat. For a 3:15 - 3:30 Pioneer Hall arrival, I would be down at the dock by 2:45 - 3:00. I hope you don't blow a fuse with all those flat irons and hair dryers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkmbee View Post
Hi there! My family is heading down to WDW this summer. Originally we booked AoA since it was to be me and DH, DD2, DS4, DS6 and DMom. DH is now saying he doesn't want to go - or at least not go for all 9 nights. Not sure what is wrong with him but that is a whole 'nother post! Anyway, DS6, DMom and I stayed at WL April '12 and LOVED it. Since DH isn't going to be there for at least part of the trip, we were thinking about doing a split stay and when DH flies home, we'd head on over to WL. With three little ones and only two adults, it makes a lot of sense for us to splurge for CL as we'll be able to pop over for snacks during nap time or phase kids out of the room and over to breakfast as they get ready in the AM (all with adult supervision, of course). Since we'll have a crib in the room for DD2, we'd love to have bunk beds for the boys. Does anyone know how many CL bunk bed rooms there are or what their locations might be? Are either of the rooms that directly face Bay Lake (located adjacent to the Pres and V.Pres suites) bunk rooms? I'm so excited to get to go back - now just waiting on DH to make up his mind so I can get the room ressies changed!
Welcome! I think that DH's can be easily affected by WDW overload - a problem I bet we've never encountered. But, I have found that having quick access to treats, appetizers, cookies, and adult beverages (AKA: Club Level), is the perfect cure. If you stay CL with DH, I think he would LOVE it and would not want to shorten his stays in the future. I really think you should have your CL stay with DH and he'll be a very happy camper. They'll be lots of treats for him, beautiful lounge views and cozy seating where you can just leave him to rest. He won't be able to do that at AoA so I would definitely give him a chance to experience a more restful stay.

I don't know how many CL rooms have bunks, but make sure you add it to your requests. Rooms 7127 and 7035 that directly face the courtyard do not have bunks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyDee View Post
I'm excited for you! The next time I go to WDW, I wanna stay at WL, and specifically because I wanna see it during Christmastime with my parents. Trying to convert my Dad into a Disney-appreciator (long story short...last time he went was July of '97, and he takes meds, so.....not cool )

But anyways, my mom and I are determined to get him to go during the first week in December. In a perfect world it'd be this December coming up, but we'll see. *hopes and prays*

Hope your trip is magical and full of pixie dust!
I hope you and your family get to go in December. Let us know when your parents book and I'll add you to the Lodgers' Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
Hi everyone - We just booked (rented points) for a 1BR WLV for March 13-16. I'm excited as this is our first stay at either WL/WLV. We are doing a split stay of WLV and AKV on either side of a cruise. We have never stayed at AKL either so it will be a trip of many firsts! Our littlest will be 2 years at that time and this is our last opportunity to try WL/AKL before needing a 2BR unit.

A few questions. Any thoughts on a room request for the 1BR WLV? Our kids will be 8, 5, and 2 and we'll have a double stroller to haul around. I was thinking 1st floor so we didn't have to deal with an elevator but am not sure if they are any drawbacks to the 1st floor? Do they have patios or balconies? Also, some face the parking/bus area correct? How would I word a request to get on the other side of the building?

I'm also thinking of doing Hoop Dee Doo this trip since the transportation to it will be easy. But I'm not confident about the 2 year old with that so I'll have to think about it a little more. So excited for this trip!
Welcome and congratulations on renting points for your first VWL stay! You're going to love WL and VWL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2525 View Post
Absolutely cannot wait to stay for the first time and will either go the week before Thanksgiving or the week after. I have two DD, ages 9 and 4 and we previously have stayed at CS, POR and PFQ. We have never been during Christmas and were wondering if there are any special resort activities at this time. Also, are photo pass pictures available in front of the tree?
Welcome! Most of the special activities are around Christmas week. Sometimes the PP CMs are in the resorts, we used them at AKL August 2010, but I don't know if they still come regularly to the resorts.

If you want lower crowds, I would come the week after Thanksgiving rather than the week before, and this will ensure that everything is fully decorated.

Happy planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyluvr81 View Post
When we were there for our honeymoon the first room they gave us was a 1st floor king bed room. Wasn't keen on being on the first floor but the girl checking us in was all excited she was able to find us a king room (we had not requested one). Gave it a chance, walked in to the room only to find that it wasn't just a king bed but one of the handicap accessible rooms.

We asked to have our room changed and they said the only other king room were all HA too. After explaining we were happy with 2 queens they switched us to a 5th or 6th floor room. DH & I are not tall and queen beds are plenty big enough for us.

Not sure if more king rooms are HA than not but just a heads up if you do get assigned to a king room. We much preferred having the normal bathroom setup, but that is just our preference.
Thanks for posting the information of the King rooms.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #217
grkmbee
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE/]Welcome! I think that DH's can be easily affected by WDW overload - a problem I bet we've never encountered. But, I have found that having quick access to treats, appetizers, cookies, and adult beverages (AKA: Club Level), is the perfect cure. If you stay CL with DH, I think he would LOVE it and would not want to shorten his stays in the future. I really think you should have your CL stay with DH and he'll be a very happy camper. They'll be lots of treats for him, beautiful lounge views and cozy seating where you can just leave him to rest. He won't be able to do that at AoA so I would definitely give him a chance to experience a more restful stay.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the only way we'd be able to switch over to WL would be if DH DOESN'T come - at least for that part of the trip. The reason we're at AoA - besides the kids liking the theming - is that we need a room with two baths and two sleeping areas (with semi-normal beds) that doesn't cost a fortune. I'd think about two standard rooms at WL but even those aren't cheap when you add them together. If we do stay at WL, it would be me and my mom, DS6, DS4, and DD2. One of DH's gripes with disney is how expensive everything is so I'm not sure that CL would be for him. My mom and I on the other hand...we love CL.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #218
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Hi all. I think after weeks and weeks of research of all the resorts, I think WL is going to be our choice for my 30th birthday next year. I thought I was set on POR and then POFQ and then Swan/Dolphin and then AKL and I think WL is the best choice and location.

Question about buses. Do they share any buses with other MK resorts? From pictures it looks like the buses make multiple stops. For example, does the Epcot bus stop also stop at AK and or Blizzard Beach or are they just at the same "station"? I think I know the answer, but just making sure.

Has anyone tried to take the AK bus for breakfast over to Boma? Have you gotten a direct trip to AKL? I'm thinking about hopping over to MK and then getting the AKL bus since we prefer later AM breakfasts.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #219
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie22 View Post
If I am interpreting the room chart correctly, it looks like there are some woods view rooms which also have a side overlooking the lobby. Any comments on those rooms? I've heard higher floors might be quieter, of course. We have requested a room with a king bed but that's it. Now I'm thinking we might want to request a room overlooking the lobby also, or remove the king bed request and just request lobby view. Anyone know how many king rooms there are which overlook the lobby? If I were hoping for a king room overlooking the lobby, how should I phrase the request?
In our case we loved the location on a high floor open to the lobby. I do also know that there are some King bed rooms, as my parents were in one on the sixth floor on the South side, above the registration desk. The room number was 6094, and FWIW it is a connecting room with 6093.

Here is the view from the balcony:

And here is the view out into the lobby:
Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #220
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafox18 View Post
Hi all. I think after weeks and weeks of research of all the resorts, I think WL is going to be our choice for my 30th birthday next year. I thought I was set on POR and then POFQ and then Swan/Dolphin and then AKL and I think WL is the best choice and location.

Question about buses. Do they share any buses with other MK resorts? From pictures it looks like the buses make multiple stops. For example, does the Epcot bus stop also stop at AK and or Blizzard Beach or are they just at the same "station"? I think I know the answer, but just making sure.

Has anyone tried to take the AK bus for breakfast over to Boma? Have you gotten a direct trip to AKL? I'm thinking about hopping over to MK and then getting the AKL bus since we prefer later AM breakfasts.
In our experience, the buses to AK and HS sometimes stopped to pick up additional passengers at GF, and then went on to the specific park. Epcot buses sometimes picked up more at FW before going on to the park. On the way back most buses were shared with FW, but WL was always the first stop. Water parks were also paired with specific park or DTD buses, so for those that added one more quick stop on the way.

AK park buses never went to AKL, so getting to AKL from WL will probably be a two bus trip. We are planing on doing it by taking a boat to MK then hopping on the AKL bus there. You could do a similar bus change at any park, but we like MK because it is close and has the boat option.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #221
yaksack
DIS Veteran

joining

Prior to 1997 - Too young or too drunk to remember
1997 - Honeymoon - Wilderness Lodge
2001 - WL
2002 - POFQ
2004 - WL
2006 - VWL
2008 - AKLV and BCV
2009 - VWL
2011 - Treehouses/Bay Lake Tower

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #222
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

A belated to our beloved Wilderness Lodge which opened in 1994, 19 years ago yesterday! At that time, rack room rates started at $149 (AllEars) and there wasn't a Club Level. The lowest rack rate now is $284 - almost double or about a $7 a year increase.

I wonder which CMs have been there since opening? If anyone is there now, did you notice any celebrations yesterday?

A more in depth history of WL. (Their Hyperion hyperlink doesn't seem to be working.)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #223
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafox18 View Post

Welcome, Melissa. The MK bus never shares and is non-stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksack View Post
joining
Welcome, yaksack.

Thanks for posting your photos, Paul. Can I edit and use your STD View photo on the first page?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #224
tollfree
Earning My Ears

Going back to WL in September! I stayed there for the first time 3 trips ago and have never even considered a different resort since. Good to know there are so many that feel the same way as my DW and I!!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #225
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Thanks for posting your photos, Paul. Can I edit and use your STD View photo on the first page?
Absolutely Feel free to use any of our pics however you want. We took A LOT of pics, and have a bunch we never even posted.

Also, if there is any other specific shots you would like we can take them in just 99 days once we're there. WooHoo!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: