Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #2116
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

We had a great first night just walking around the resort last night. We had to take a few courtyard pictures:

Then we walked down to the dock and caught the water parade as it went by the Contemporary.

Now I am sitting on the balcony watching the park buses come and go waiting for everyone else to wake up.

It is going to be a great day!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #2117
moonshadow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
The pontoon boats cost $48 per half hour. There is a discount coupon available with packages that saves 20%. I would plan on an hour to give you time to cross the bridge and explore the seven seas lagoon. Happy planning, the trip will be here before you know it.
Thanks for the information. We are also planning to rent a pontoon boat but wasn't sure if we should rent for a half hour or an hour. Now I know. Just hoping the weather is good. I love how empty the restaurant is. That's why we always go in September.

Have a great trip!

WL - Sept 2013, POLY - Sept 2010, BCV - Sept 2005, BWV - July 1997, CR - June 1987

Last edited by moonshadow; 09-07-2013 at 09:03 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #2118
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian
We had a great first night just walking around the resort last night. We had to take a few courtyard pictures:

Then we walked down to the dock and caught the water parade as it went by the Contemporary.

Now I am sitting on the balcony watching the park buses come and go waiting for everyone else to wake up.

Your pictures are making me so incredibly excited! One week!
Have a wonderful trip and can't wait to see more.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #2119
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Then we walked down to the dock and caught the water parade as it went by the Contemporary. .....

You are up early for a Californian. I love the pictures, especially the silhouette of the man in the glow of the waterfall in the first picture. Thanks for posting the view picture. It looks like a nice location. You must be fairly close to the elevator.

Have a great time today.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #2120
danceteachermom
Mouseketeer

Does anyone remember what the room-only and and package discounts were last year for early April? We went the first week of April, also Easter, and used a Disney Visa rate. Anyway...we just booked our flights for this April 4-12 and I would love to stay at WL again. However it looks like we could save about $1500 staying at Coronado in. Junior suite versus satay ing at VWL in a one bedroom. My heart is now at WL but we love CSR too. making a list of pros and cons and in our minds what is worth paying more for...

I seem to remember that the villa and deluxe resorts had a greater discount than the mods. Is this is true maybe the VWL stay would not be so drastically more expensive.

We loved the lodge. Our musts for vacations more than few nights include separate sleeping areas for kids and parents, great pool, and restaurants we enjoy on site. Last year we found at WL that people were super friendly and we met so many people around the resort and at the pool. We liked the boat to MK. Our son loved the Cub's Den, his choice, on two nights. My hubby loved the oven in the room so he could "properly" reheat leftovers from Via Napoli. It was a fabulous stay and we would love to go back. It is hard to decide if it is worth about $1500 difference...

Read this thread every day but I am a rare poster. Thanks to those of you that contribute.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #2121
R2-JD
It was all started by Walt Disney!

GrandCalifornian - glad to hear you had a great first night! Thanks for the pics. In less than hour we are checking out of the Radisson we stayed in for our first night and heading to the Lodge. So excited!

I agree with you, it is going to be a great day!

JD
2013(Sept) WDW Wilderness Lodge
Old 09-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #2122
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post

Thanks for the information. We are also planning to rent a pontoon boat but wasn't sure if we should rent to a half hour or an hour. Now I know. Just hoping the weather is good. I love how empty the restaurant is. That's why we always go in September.

Have a great trip!
Thanks, we will have a great time. I did just notice that the discount is 15% instead of the 20% I had posted, so I corrected the original post and I thought I'd let you know. The pontoon boats are just neat, and it still amazes me that you can drive them right in front of MK. We may just have to do it again this trip too.

We were converted to coming in September after the light crowds last year, and so far so good this year!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #2123
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-JD View Post
GrandCalifornian - glad to hear you had a great first night! Thanks for the pics. In less than hour we are checking out of the Radisson we stayed in for our first night and heading to the Lodge. So excited!

JD
Have a nice short trip over and hopefully we will see you around the resort. If you see us, stop by and say hello.

Paul
Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #2124
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandLMommy28 View Post
I hope everyone headed down this month comes back with tons and tons of pictures to share!
I have lots of photos from last month, but the "new and (not) improved" Photobucket only cooperates sporadically in allowing me to edit the size of the photos and add framing. I will try again this weekend to get them downsized for posting to a TR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amycakes78 View Post
I haven't done our online check in yet and haven't made any special requests. When doing online check in, are there any requests anyone would recommend? We are booked with a woods view.
Thanks!
OCI is very limited and basically only allows you to mark a floor. Always call the WDTC to have any requests added to your reservation because OCI only allows pre-set choices and often they can be erroneous. Some with a Woods View like to request a high floor in the North Wing so that they might be able to see some of Wishes/CR/monorail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Well I did it. I had been waffling back and forth with what to do with the final two days of our trip. We are at Wilderness Lodge Villas in a studio for 7 nights until December 21st. I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay at Disney the night of the 21st because that would have us in Disney on the Saturday and Sunday that all of the Christmas crowds are rolling in.
I kicked around a few ideas and eventually decided on staying another night at WL. Saturday is a 10 at the parks, so we booked the Hoop Dee Doo and a Holiday carriage ride over at Fort Wilderness. Not sure if we'll brave the parks during the day or just hang at the resort. The next day we'll have a nice leisurely breakfast at WCC and head over to see "ICE!" at Gaylord Palms after checking out.
So the plan is set, and we get an extra night at WL! I don't even mind moving rooms for the night. It won't be a big deal.

The reason I mention all of this, is that I used Travelocity to book the night of the 21st. They were giving 30% off, and I used a coupon code for $50 off (Coupon50 is the code). A standard room with Disney's discount was $402 for the night. Through travelocity I got it for $338. So if you are looking for a discount better than the ones Disney has out there.. you might want to try booking with Travelocity

I can't wait!!!
Adding a night is always so exciting! Don't worry about the crowds. Yes, they are thick in the parks, especially during special events/parades, but that means the rides aren't as crowded. It won't be that bad when you're there, not like on Christmas Day and Eve when it's best to avoid the parks, especially after the morning hours.

Quote:
We are all checked in and enjoying dinner at Roaring Fork. We got the room location we wanted, very close to "our room" from last year. It is great, and we are happy.

I love the lack of crowds, it is RF at its best!
Glad everyone made it and you got your preferred room location and those September evening crowds look perfect. I hope the parks are the same way for you today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolann210 View Post
Long time reader, first time poster. Just returned from Art of Animatjon with my niece and booked a family trip at Villas at Wilderness Lodge for March 2014. It's Mardi Gras in Louisiana and the perfect time for a get away. Thanks for all the great information here...it will be our first stay at anything but value resorts. Afraid once I go deluxe I'll never go back! This time of year is great...we rode space mountain four times in a row! My niece was amazed.
to the DIS and the WL/VWL thread!

How great that you were able to book a Spring Break trip. I'm afraid the crowds will be much greater than now, but you'll be at WL and you're going to love it! Yes, it will be hard to stay non-Deluxe again, but maybe you could do a split stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
Well, we received the same email in July for our trip then.... I think it's pretty standard email but who knows, the wind constantly is changing!
Yep, the form letter from the IPO tells everyone that and when you call they also mention it. They need everyone hooked up to MDE or else their MB system will fail. Without MDE, you can't do much with the MB. We discovered this last month when trying to use MDE while waiting in line inside at BoG. The cell and WiFi signals were weak and we couldn't use it. This will create many MDE/MB problems for people, especially if they don't even have cellular or WiFi connection capability to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
I think that if you don't have time to pick up your PhotoPass + card before your ADR at Chef Mickey, then they can give you a regular PP card that you can link to your PP+ account later.
Great idea. Yes, you can always transfer photos from one card to another. Just a reminder to everyone to always take a picture of all your PP cards so you have the number, just in case you lose the card.

Quote:
The pontoon boats cost $48 per half hour. There is a discount coupon available with packages that saves 20%. I would plan on an hour to give you time to cross the bridge and explore the seven seas lagoon. Happy planning, the trip will be here before you know it.
Thanks and just adding that if you have an AP, you now receive 30% off all recreation

Quote:

Don't you just love early morning at WL? It's so serene and quiet, except for the occasional hoot and chirp. It's so nice walking around the marina area and watching the ducks awaken. This IS going to be a great day

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Thanks for the information. We are also planning to rent a pontoon boat but wasn't sure if we should rent to a half hour or an hour. Now I know. Just hoping the weather is good. I love how empty the restaurant is. That's why we always go in September.

Have a great trip!
When you rent recreation, at least Sea Raycers and bikes, you don't tell them how long you want them for. You are charged according to when you return them, so don't worry about having to make a decision in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
You are up early for a Californian. I love the pictures, especially the silhouette of the man in the glow of the waterfall in the first picture. Thanks for posting the view picture. It looks like a nice location. You must be fairly close to the elevator.

Have a great time today.
Good eye and I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceteachermom View Post
Does anyone remember what the room-only and and package discounts were last year for early April? We went the first week of April, also Easter, and used a Disney Visa rate. Anyway...we just booked our flights for this April 4-12 and I would love to stay at WL again. However it looks like we could save about $1500 staying at Coronado in. Junior suite versus satay ing at VWL in a one bedroom. My heart is now at WL but we love CSR too. making a list of pros and cons and in our minds what is worth paying more for...

I seem to remember that the villa and deluxe resorts had a greater discount than the mods. Is this is true maybe the VWL stay would not be so drastically more expensive.

We loved the lodge. Our musts for vacations more than few nights include separate sleeping areas for kids and parents, great pool, and restaurants we enjoy on site. Last year we found at WL that people were super friendly and we met so many people around the resort and at the pool. We liked the boat to MK. Our son loved the Cub's Den, his choice, on two nights. My hubby loved the oven in the room so he could "properly" reheat leftovers from Via Napoli. It was a fabulous stay and we would love to go back. It is hard to decide if it is worth about $1500 difference...

Read this thread every day but I am a rare poster. Thanks to those of you that contribute.
Welcome back Lurker! I had a CSR Business Class room booked for Christmas and changed it to a Woods View WL room. I understand your dilemma. We're both going at crowded times of Spring Break and Christmas so here are my thoughts:

Two rooms at CSR is actually less then one Jr. Suite. If you had two rooms booked, that would be an advantage over VWL because you would have two bathrooms and four beds instead of one and a sleeper.

WL beats CSR for transportation options. You only have the buses at CSR and when it's busy, I prefer having more options.

You have to pay a 10% surcharge every time you use the Pepper Market.

The Villas get a greater discount than Moderates - usually 5% - 10% more. At VWL you would have more transportation options, more square footage, more dining options, you'd be close to the MK and FW and everything is in one building with no exterior room entries like CSR. You's also have a washer/dryer.

CSR doesn't have a Kids' Club or as many recreation options. But, CSR would be cheaper, and that's a relevant consideration.

Historic discounts are HERE.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-JD View Post

JD
I wonder if your paths will cross. I hope you get your preferred location and check-in with us when you can and don't forget to take it all in when you first walk into the lobby
Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #2125
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Lovely pics!
Those early morning quiet moments are the best, aren't they?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceteachermom View Post

Mousesavers.com is a great source to look at historical discounts.

Last April deluxe resorts and villas were discounted 20-30% With the Disney Visa discount and were released the end of December. I don't remember which was which but I'm guessing if you searched the theme park board you'd be able to find an "April 2013 discount codes" thread.

Happy planning!
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #2126
R2-JD
It was all started by Walt Disney!

CHECKED IN!!!!

Quote:
Have a nice short trip over and hopefully we will see you around the resort. If you see us, stop by and say hello.

Paul
Thanks Paul! We will have to try and meet to say Hi and introduce ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I wonder if your paths will cross. I hope you get your preferred location and check-in with us when you can and don't forget to take it all in when you first walk into the lobby
We got the room DW (LuvGoldens) was hoping for, it is actually one floor down and one room closer to the lake than our room last year.

We so much enjoy the first walk into the lobby, well actually every walk into the lobby . The way the music crescendo's as the doors open and then

JD
2013(Sept) WDW Wilderness Lodge
Old 09-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #2127
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

FINALLY the double digit dance for our first stay at WL!!!

We are at 99 days my friends. This last 99 days will fly by right?

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #2128
DoctorWhoGirl
Mouseketeer

All these pics from those lucky people at the WL now are making me ever so anxious for our visit...7 weeks from tomorrow and we check in!!!

WDW Vacations:
Nov 2012 - POFQ
Oct/Nov 2013 - WL & MNSSHP
Dec 2014 - POR - MVMCP
Old 09-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #2129
BethanyF
Id rather be 'stuck' at SSR
This just happened at the right time
I got in with no problem

I am going to go back and start from the beginning of the thread, but in the meantime maybe I can get my questions answered....

How big are the bunk beds? My son is about 6'2 and my niece is only about 5'. I'm not worried about my niece, but will my son be ok in the bunk bed? He did ok in the bunk at the Treehouses, are these about the same size?

Where are the bunk bed rooms? I know I can choose between courtyard or woods view; but is one area better than the other? Closer to the lobby? Closer to the boats? Any on the first or second floors?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #2130
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I have lots of photos from last month, but the "new and (not) improved" Photobucket only cooperates sporadically in allowing me to edit the size of the photos and add framing. I will try again this weekend to get them downsized for posting to a TR.

Ummmm... Looks like someone needs to reevaluate priorities...

P.S. thx for posting the historic discount link. Idk how to make a 'click here' link thingy
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: