Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #181
disneymomof1
DIS Veteran

Just booked our 3rd trip to WL. We have gone to AKL the last 4 trips, and I felt like I wanted to get back to WL !!! Booked a poolview room, which is what I usually book at every resort we stay at. I like to be close to pool, so that I can do laundry while we are resting by the pool. Looking forward to getting back to WDW, it's been over a year since our last trip

Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #182
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

On two of our stays at WL we have had the 'woods' view over the loading dock. The first time we really didn't want this view and requested pool view but we booked so late that the only availability was woods view.

It turned out that we LOVED that location. We saw Wishes from our room many nights.

On the next stay we requested woods view and got about the same location.

On reading an earlier post I see that there are also 'woods view' room views on the other, (south?), side of the resort.

My reservation is only notated as a preference for 'high floor woods view', should I call and change my request to 'north side woods view', or, 'loading dock woods view', or, 'north side woods view over loading dock that nobody else probably wants view'?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #183
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penitentmama View Post
I'm working on our ADR plans and have a little over a week until I can make our reservations!

I have a question about if you think we could get by without ADRs for a late breakfast and a late lunch at WCC on weekdays the first week of December? I know it sounds like there will be free dining then, but I am hoping that we can wing these two meals on our off days so we don't have to rush to be somewhere any particular time.

Appreciate everyone sharing their experience and we're so excited for our first trip to WDW and the Lodge!
We ate breakfast at the Whispering Canyon Cafe on a Monday, the second full week of February, and the place was very empty. I think there were only about eight tables occupied at 8am. You should be fine for breakfast. We'll be at WL the first week of December, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
On two of our stays at WL we have had the 'woods' view over the loading dock. The first time we really didn't want this view and requested pool view but we booked so late that the only availability was woods view.

It turned out that we LOVED that location. We saw Wishes from our room many nights.

On reading an earlier post I see that there are also 'woods view' room views on the other, (south?), side of the resort.

My reservation is only notated as a preference for 'high floor woods view', should I call and change my request to 'north side woods view', or, 'loading dock woods view', or, 'north side woods view over loading dock that nobody else probably wants view'?
According to the room number map, the rooms above the loading dock at classified as standard view. We had a room that was woods view, north side, 6th floor Otter Pond and could see Wishes fireworks. We had a slightly obscured view from a tree branch in the way in room 6018 and our daughter had a perfect view in room 6010.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973

Last edited by Wood Nymph; 05-25-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #184
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post

Since you found a location you liked, I would add North Wing to the request list. I have heard that there is room for three requests.

According to the map, Woods View would be in the second (East) part of the North Wing, nearer the boat dock. You could probably get close with a Standard View room in the middle part of that wing, and these are directly over the loading area and these are the "over the loading dock that nobody else probably wants view" but that makes them cheaper which works for us!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #185
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post

We ate breakfast at the Whispering Canyon Cafe on a Monday, the second full week of February, and the place was very empty. I think there were only about eight tables occupied at 8am. You should be fine for breakfast. We'll be at WL the first week of December, too.

According to the room number map, the rooms above the loading dock at classified as standard view. We have woods views, north side, 6th floor Otter Pond and could see Wishes fireworks. We had a slightly obscured view from a tree branch in the way in room 6018 and our daughter had a perfect view in room 6010.
We requested 5th or 6th floor woods view Otter Pond as well, hopefully we get it! Also...how was Whispering Canyon Cafe? Thinking about eating breakfast there a few days before we head to the parks. Is this considered TS or CS?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
September 29-October 5 2014

Me DBF
Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #186
jenifferf00
Mouseketeer

Just got back from 9 nights, and loved it. The resort was small, quiet, had plenty for the kids, the pool was nice. We really enjoyed our stay. The only negative I would say is the counter service restaurant can be slow, but still tolerable. I was skeptical going in, but am very happy with our stay there. The staff was exceptional nice, and helpful, they just made everything so easy. A true vacation.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #187
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenRB View Post
We requested 5th or 6th floor woods view Otter Pond as well, hopefully we get it! Also...how was Whispering Canyon Cafe? Thinking about eating breakfast there a few days before we head to the parks. Is this considered TS or CS?

Whispering Canyon Cafe is a table service restaurant. I had gluten free Mickey waffles, my first Mickey waffles ever, and they were very good. There is a counter service restaurant called Roaring Forks which had a nice breakfast platter for about $8.95 that had pancakes, scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon that my husband and I would split for breakfast, which we thought was a good bargain.

We might go over to Trail's End for the breakfast buffet when we are there in December. It looks really good.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #188
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
Whispering Canyon Cafe is a table service restaurant. I had gluten free Mickey waffles, my first Mickey waffles ever, and they were very good. There is a counter service restaurant called Roaring Forks which had a nice breakfast platter for about $8.95 that had pancakes, scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon that my husband and I would split for breakfast, which we thought was a good bargain.

We might go over to Trail's End for the breakfast buffet when we are there in December. It looks really good.
Thanks for the info. I've never had the Mickey Waffles, but I think it would just be sad to stay at a WDW Resort and eat breakfast without trying the famous Mickey Waffles LOL I'll probably try Roaring Forks since I've already used up all my TS Credits from DDP, unless it's an OOP Breakfast.

Me DBF
Old 05-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #189
Disneyluvr81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
You can do a TR - I know you can! How about starting with a PTR?. I'm so glad you're sticking with your split and I look forward to reading all about it.

The cabins in the Smokies are pretty amazing. They have so many features such as hot tubs and whirlpool tubs, arcade games (I just love the retro 80s games), huge flat screens, pool tables, gas grills, fire pits, tons of room and gorgeous views... you have to try them someday.
Thank you for the idea about the PTR...I finally took the plunge and started it today - I added it to my signature. Hopefully it will help the time go by...although its looking like we are going to put our condo on the market within the next couple weeks if everything goes as planned and if that happens, the time between now and trip is going to go crazy!!

The cabin in the Smokies sounds so awesome...retro arcade games whenever you want, now that's my kind of vacation!!! Only thing that could make it better is if one of them was a pinball machine!!

A Tale of Two Castles and a Dumbo Double Dare for Good Measure - a Sept 13 TR
Two Castles in 24 Hours...Bring it On! A Sept 2013 PTR

Jan 2015 - Dopey / Nov 2014 - Wine & Dine / Aug 2014 - DVC Cruise / April 2014 - Family Trip / Feb 2014 - Princess Weekend / Sept 2013 - Anniversary / Jan 2013 - WDW Marathon / Sept 2011 - Anniversary / Dec 2009 - Xmas Trip / Sept 2008 - Honeymoon / Jan 2007 - 1st Trip

Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #190
reagansdaddy
Earning My Ears

I just realized that one month from today, I will be having my morning coffee in the Old Faithful Club!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #191
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran

Howdy!

I have been away from the DIS for quite some time due to PDD and no trip plans in the near future. We stayed at WL for the first time in November 2012 and fell in love with everything about the resort. I raved about it in the 2012 WL thread. I'm now in the preliminary daydreaming stages of our next trip. I'm aiming for Oct. 25-Nov. 2, 2014. We stayed the first week of November in 2012 and did MVMCP. I love that time of year in Disney but want to go a week earlier this time so we can do MNSSHP.

This next trip will be slightly different in that my teen daughter won't be coming (she will be going with her senior class in April of 2015 and unfortunately isn't a huge Disney lover like me so that is enough for her). My Mom will be coming with us this trip which will be her first trip to WDW since the early 80's. So it will be me, DH, DS who will be 5 at the time, and my Mom. She wants her own room or a suite/villa. That is complicating things...
I'm not sure we can afford 2 rooms at WL but I'm going to work really hard on saving. My son only wants to go back to "his hotel" and I asked my husband if he could stay anywhere on property where would it be and he said WL.

My other thought was VWL. We could get 2 studios for a lot less, but I'm afraid we will be disappointed in the rooms. We had the newly refurbed WL rooms last trip. It seems like the VWL rooms are in need of a refurb. Do you think we would be disappointed? Are there any plans for any room refurbs at VWL at this time?

Thanks so much, glad to be back here

Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #192
disd55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkPirateMom View Post
Howdy!

I have been away from the DIS for quite some time due to PDD and no trip plans in the near future. We stayed at WL for the first time in November 2012 and fell in love with everything about the resort. I raved about it in the 2012 WL thread. I'm now in the preliminary daydreaming stages of our next trip. I'm aiming for Oct. 25-Nov. 2, 2014. We stayed the first week of November in 2012 and did MVMCP. I love that time of year in Disney but want to go a week earlier this time so we can do MNSSHP.

This next trip will be slightly different in that my teen daughter won't be coming (she will be going with her senior class in April of 2015 and unfortunately isn't a huge Disney lover like me so that is enough for her). My Mom will be coming with us this trip which will be her first trip to WDW since the early 80's. So it will be me, DH, DS who will be 5 at the time, and my Mom. She wants her own room or a suite/villa. That is complicating things...
I'm not sure we can afford 2 rooms at WL but I'm going to work really hard on saving. My son only wants to go back to "his hotel" and I asked my husband if he could stay anywhere on property where would it be and he said WL.

My other thought was VWL. We could get 2 studios for a lot less, but I'm afraid we will be disappointed in the rooms. We had the newly refurbed WL rooms last trip. It seems like the VWL rooms are in need of a refurb. Do you think we would be disappointed? Are there any plans for any room refurbs at VWL at this time?

Thanks so much, glad to be back here
There aren't any planned refurbs for the time you are planning at VWL. Although, since hat is a while away, that is subject to change. If you loved the WL you will definitely NOT be disappointed with the VWL. Even if the rooms are a little old, that old, rustic feel makes the Wilderness feeling all that better!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #193
MSNana
Earning My Ears

We will be headed to the WL a week from today with our children, their spouses, and grandchildren to celebrate our 50th anniversary. This will be our 25th trip to Disney, and we have stayed in the resorts each time. Our children and grandchildren have made many trips without us, since we spend MUCH time cruising. The WL is the favorite for our family. Our first visit to Disney was in 1972. We stayed at the Contemporary for $28 a night. I still have the receipt in our memories closet. I have thought about framing it! What a change the years have made!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #194
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNana View Post
We will be headed to the WL a week from today with our children, their spouses, and grandchildren to celebrate our 50th anniversary. This will be our 25th trip to Disney, and we have stayed in the resorts each time. Our children and grandchildren have made many trips without us, since we spend MUCH time cruising. The WL is the favorite for our family. Our first visit to Disney was in 1972. We stayed at the Contemporary for $28 a night. I still have the receipt in our memories closet. I have thought about framing it! What a change the years have made!!!
That's amazing Happy Anniversary!!! Also, if only the rates were STILL $28 a night. Have fun on your 25th trip to the happiest place on earth!

Me DBF
Old 05-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #195
lala3291
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone! We are so excited about our upcoming first stay at the WL that begins one week from Tuesday!!

I just booked Hoop Dee Doo for June 7th at 4PM. I know there is a bus to FW, as well as a boat and a walking trail. We have to be there at about 3:15/3:30 PM. We plan to go to a park in the morning at RD, but I am thinking about being back at the resort by about 12:30ish to shower and get ready. I have three girls (22, 19, and 11), so it will be a process! What is the easiest/quickest way to get to Pioneer Hall from WL?

Thank you! We are so looking forward to our trip, I am already too excited to sleep!
March '98- BC March '00- BWI Feb. '04- BWI Sept '05 BC Nov. '06 -GF Oct. '07- GF August '08-GF Feb. '09- BWI May '10- BWI March '11- BC May '11- BWI July '11- BWI Nov. '11- GF Feb. '12- BC July '12- Poly Nov. '12- GF New Year's '13- Poly Feb. '13- POR June '13- WL August '13- YC Dec. '13- GF March '14- BC July '14- BWI
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: