Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #1876
ctjsowens
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Hi WL fans!

We are booked for our first stay at the WL in January. And we know very little about the WL. We have been to WDW 10 times and we have only been to WL once for dinner.

We booked standard view with a PIN code I received. Will our view be bad?

How is the transportation? It is buses everywhere except for MK (boat)? Or can you take a boat to the TTC and monorail to Epcot?

Well let me tell you that you have a true treat in store by staying at WL.
As far as the view you could get one of the parking lot or overlooking the service area. We had the same view 2 yrs ago but didnt bother us since we werent in the room much.

Transportation has always been good to us with the exception of going to Downtown Disney which every resort seems to have a prob with that. MK also has a bus. If going to Epcot i'd reccomend taking the bus or riding the boat to Contemporary to TTC and to Epcot if you want the scenic route.

We'll be back at WL for Thanksgiving and cant wait to see the decorations! You'll fall in love once you stay there!!
June 2009- WL
June 2010 18th-25th Poly CL
June 2011 15th-22nd WL
Apr 2013 25th-27th Offsite
Nov 2013 22nd-29th Dolphin
Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #1877
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

So, I think we have picked WL for our trip next year. We are typically moderate people, we love POR and POFQ. We love that thy are quiet, peaceful and sort of away from the action of the parks. But on this next trip, we will have a15 month old (there's quite a gap, my older kids will be 7 and 9). S for this one trip only,we wanted easy access to MK. We were thinking Poly but with all the questions about the construction, I kinda let that idea go. And e other monorail resorts don't really appeal to me. WL seems to have that same feel as POR--relaxing and peaceful and nothing at all like being in the parks. I need downtime when we are there!!

I'm pretty excited about this, it'll be our first time staying here. After this trip, we will be limited to rooms that sleep five because we won't be back until little guy is 3. So after this it'll be POR pretty much every trip!

I have one question so far. Back in 1995, we ate a character meal here. Was it Whispering Canyon back then or something different?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #1878
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Hi WL fans!

We are booked for our first stay at the WL in January. And we know very little about the WL. We have been to WDW 10 times and we have only been to WL once for dinner.

How is the transportation? It is buses everywhere except for MK (boat)? Or can you take a boat to the TTC and monorail to Epcot?

Congratulations! We love WL and you have found the place for all the information you will ever need about it with this thread. WDWKOOK does a great job keeping it together and there are lots of people willing to help out.

As for view, there are pictures from Standard View room locations on the first page of this thread. Upgrades also occur fairly regularly due to the relatively few standard view rooms, but you can't guarantee a better view without booking it.

We like that WL offers bus transportation to all the parks, and find it to be as good as any other resort. The bus to MK is super fast, under 5 minutes with no stops. We love the boats, and there is one route direct to MK and another boat loop that runs between WL, CR, and Fort Wilderness. This boat loop is a great way to see Bay Lake, which we think is just beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjsowens View Post
As far as the view you could get one of the parking lot or overlooking the service area. We had the same view 2 yrs ago but didnt bother us since we werent in the room much.

Transportation has always been good to us with the exception of going to Downtown Disney which every resort seems to have a prob with that. MK also has a bus. If going to Epcot i'd reccomend taking the bus or riding the boat to Contemporary to TTC and to Epcot if you want the scenic route.

We'll be back at WL for Thanksgiving and cant wait to see the decorations! You'll fall in love once you stay there!!
I totally agree. We take the monorail via CR route to Epcot as well, even though the bus is faster. Getting to see different places and have a variety of transportation options is part of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandLMommy28 View Post
So, I think we have picked WL for our trip next year. We are typically moderate people, we love POR and POFQ. We love that thy are quiet, peaceful and sort of away from the action of the parks. But on this next trip, we will have a15 month old (there's quite a gap, my older kids will be 7 and 9). S for this one trip only,we wanted easy access to MK. We were thinking Poly but with all the questions about the construction, I kinda let that idea go. And e other monorail resorts don't really appeal to me. WL seems to have that same feel as POR--relaxing and peaceful and nothing at all like being in the parks. I need downtime when we are there!!

I'm pretty excited about this, it'll be our first time staying here. After this trip, we will be limited to rooms that sleep five because we won't be back until little guy is 3. So after this it'll be POR pretty much every trip!

I have one question so far. Back in 1995, we ate a character meal here. Was it Whispering Canyon back then or something different?
Awesome, you should have a great time at WL. We find it to have a very similar atmosphere to POR, with the added benefit of a great location and being under one roof.

I can't help with the character meal question but I am sure someone else can. WCC was there in its current format for our first trip in 2007. It will be interesting to hear about.

Congratulations and happy planning.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #1879
Bravesfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Do you mind my asking if you have FD for Thanksgiving week and were able to get something besides bunk beds? I have been really checking the last couple of weeks and always see rooms with bunk beds.
Sorry just read your post that you received a pin code.

Last edited by Bravesfan; 08-28-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: add coment
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #1880
marymac123
DIS Veteran

Another great day, no rain at all. Ranger Jack let us know we were picked for Flag Family our last day, a nice ending. I made a mistake and planned us for Animal Kingdom which TG said was worst park...the bus wait was horrible for the extra magic hours opening 8am. A CM came about half way through our wait and called someone. It was over a half hour wait for us and we weren't the first at the stop. We have never had a problem like that before ever. We then hit MK for dinner at BOG, it was beautiful and food was yummy.

No RFID mugs yet, they said maybe rolling out in Sept

Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #1881
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymac123 View Post
Another great day, no rain at all. Ranger Jack let us know we were picked for Flag Family our last day, a nice ending. I made a mistake and planned us for Animal Kingdom which TG said was worst park...the bus wait was horrible for the extra magic hours opening 8am. A CM came about half way through our wait and called someone. It was over a half hour wait for us and we weren't the first at the stop. We have never had a problem like that before ever. We then hit MK for dinner at BOG, it was beautiful and food was yummy.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are having a great time, even with a little extra time standing out in front of the Lodge... Enjoy the flag family, that should be great!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #1882
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You will love the peacefulness of WL!. It definitely feels like you are a million miles away from the hustle n bustle of WDW.

The character breakfast could have quite possibly been Pooh n Tigger n Friends at Artist Pointe. We had breakfast with them in '98 when kids were very small. Tigger was so excited he accudently jumped right into the window and it cracked!!!! And tried to pretend like nothing happened! It was quite the scene! Sadly, character breakfast is no longer offered at WL. :/
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #1883
marymac123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are having a great time, even with a little extra time standing out in front of the Lodge... Enjoy the flag family, that should be great!
Thanks! The wait was odd but forgotten real soon. We've done Flag Family 1 other time 2 years ago when DD "adopted" an older sister, we shared the time with her family. It is beautiful up there.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #1884
jennyraye
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post

We had to look even harder for ours....it was in the VERY back of the BOG booklet left on the table. If I didn't think to look, we would have missed it! Yes, they certainly don't seem to be promoting it too much.
Yep...missed it.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #1885
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

I'm going to be canceling these ADRs today. PM me if you'd like to coordinate, though that method of 'ADR transfer' has been less than reliable.

ARTIST POINT: 12/24 @ 5:40

CA GRILL: 12/23 @ 6:55

CA GRILL: 12/24 @ 7:00

CA GRILL: 12/25 @ 7:20

Don't worry, I kept the first ADR of the day on Christmas at CA Grill
Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #1886
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
So excited, just sat down to plan when I start my vacation. I am leaving from NC for Florida next Friday (9/6) so I knew that I had 4 days of work next week. But lets add a little Labor Day into the mix and I only have to go into the office for 3 days then our road trip begins. Good thing as my mind is in Disney mode and definitely not work mode.

Next Friday we'll head to Georgia and spend the night there. Saturday we'll head down to the in-laws for the weekend in Boynton Beach FL. I will try not to notice when we pass Orlando. However I am looking forward to a Hot Pastrami sandwich at Bens restaurant while I'm there.

Monday morning (the 9th) my DW and I will finally arrive at our first visit to the WL. We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary!

I still can't decide if we should go to MNSSHP. If we did go would anyone here suggest going on a Tuesday (9/10) or a Friday (9/13)?
Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! Fridays can be a very busy day at the MK, so I would suggest Tuesday instead, you might have lower crowds. Don't you just love all the great delis in So. FL? Maybe you can catch the early bird

I hope you have a great vacation and first stay at WL

Quote:
Hi WL fans!

Welcome! The first page of the thread will quickly get you acquainted with WL. There is a hyperlink to transportation information in Post 1. Some with a Standard View like to request a high floor in the North Wing so that you might be able to see some of Wishes, the castle and monorail, but they are obstructed views. Your view in the North Wing, looking straight out, will be of the woods and looking down, the Smokehouse and some delivery trucks. Looking to the left, if you are high up, you can see the Poly and some of the parking lot. The South Wing has views of the parking lot to the right and the bus stop and FW woods in the distance. Happy planning!

Quote:

Seeing the decorations is magical. Enjoy your Thanksgiving at WL!

Quote:

Welcome! That's what we love about WL, you're near the MK and four other resorts, but you don't see any of them when you're at WL. You feel very isolated and cocooned, but you're not. FW is just a walk or boat away and you can bus/boat to MK and boat to CR where you can take the monorail to Poly and GF. The view in the back of Bay Lake is amazing and you feel like you're on an island. I love that 'isolated' feeling at WL and I think you will, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
Congratulations! We love WL and you have found the place for all the information you will ever need about it with this thread. WDWKOOK does a great job keeping it together and there are lots of people willing to help out.
Only one week and a day!!!!

Thanks for always being "One of those people willing to help out."

Quote:

Yay for Flag Family!

We had long waits for Epcot in the morning. The bus CM would look at his clipboard and confirm what we already knew was a wait well beyond 20 minutes. The bus stop CM told me that dispatch doesn't dispatch the buses, the parks dispatch their own buses and allot a certain number per day. At one point there were two buses in a row for the same park so the second bus was completely empty and the driver got out and asked the CM what was going on. It just seemed a bit chaotic and confused at times. Not a big deal, just an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
You will love the peacefulness of WL!. It definitely feels like you are a million miles away from the hustle n bustle of WDW.

The character breakfast could have quite possibly been Pooh n Tigger n Friends at Artist Pointe. We had breakfast with them in '98 when kids were very small. Tigger was so excited he accudently jumped right into the window and it cracked!!!! And tried to pretend like nothing happened! It was quite the scene! Sadly, character breakfast is no longer offered at WL. :/
Yes, that was the CB at Artist Point. Poor Tigger!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #1887
marymac123
DIS Veteran

Waited over 30 mins for Epcot bus this morning. Not liking this at all. DH thinks they cut # of routes during off peak but buses are over full as if parks were 9/10's.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #1888
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Waited over 30 mins for Epcot bus this morning. Not liking this at all. DH thinks they cut # of routes during off peak but buses are over full as if parks were 9/10's.
We were there from 7/31 - 8/10 which isn't off-peak and experienced the same issue, even when we took a late morning bus after 10. The bus stop CM told us that each park is responsible for its own buses and not a central dispatch location. I know it's hard to wait that long, and then have to go over to FW before arriving at Epcot. We weren't pleased with it either and it made us miss being able to walk to Epcot from BWI. But, it is easy to get to MK from WL. If it's any consolation, the bus ride home is very fast and easy. We never waited long for a WL bus and the ride is only about 5 minutes from Epcot.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #1889
sweetnjmom
Mouseketeer

We aren't planning on hitting EPCOT in the morning at all--though we have 2 dinner ADRs there and will spend some time at the park. I was thinking of taking the boat to the Contemporary and then the monorail to EPCOT, as I think my son would enjoy the ride more.

I still have some anxiety over making my 8 AM Tusker House ADR but will hope for the best with the early bus to AK. And just keeping fingers crossed that the DME gets us to check in easily and then we are able to go to Downtown Disney without issue on arrival day (we have a dinner ADR there, no parks).

Past trips off property: 4/80, 1/81, 6/94 and 5/09
Past trips on property: 8/90 GF, 10/96 CBR, 11/01 ASM, 5/02 POR, 5/06 CSR
Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #1890
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnjmom View Post
We aren't planning on hitting EPCOT in the morning at all--though we have 2 dinner ADRs there and will spend some time at the park. I was thinking of taking the boat to the Contemporary and then the monorail to EPCOT, as I think my son would enjoy the ride more.

I still have some anxiety over making my 8 AM Tusker House ADR but will hope for the best with the early bus to AK. And just keeping fingers crossed that the DME gets us to check in easily and then we are able to go to Downtown Disney without issue on arrival day (we have a dinner ADR there, no parks).
It is a long trip to DTD so just make sure you plan for that. It can take longer to take the monorail to Epcot from CR/WL, but it could be a lot of fun for your DS and you'll get to take the boat over to CR which is a nice, pleasant ride. You shouldn't have any problem with the early ADR bus, so don't worry about TH. But, if you are worried, you could instead do their lunch which starts pretty early and also has characters. We do it every visit.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: