Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #1621
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal View Post
We just stayed at WL for 4 nights last week.

We had connecting rooms 6016 and 6018. Great woods view rooms with full fireworks views! We could also see the castle from 6016 (but not 6018). 6016 is a bunk bed room. We were upgraded from the 2Q woods view rooms we booked to a bunk bed room at no charge. It worked out great for our kids and those bunk mattresses are SUPER comfy! I was pleasantly surprised by that. Our room was in a great location and was clean and well serviced daily.

Transportation was pretty godawful, to be honest. I have never had stellar transportation at the WL, so it wasn't unexpected, but after this stay, I think we are done staying there. It was just so frustrating to have to wait and wait and wait for the boats and buses. Particularly maddening was trying to get back to WL via boat after the fireworks. We were among the first out of the park since we watched from town square, but all the boats coming from the resorts were held up by the ferries that kept crossing. There were 3 ferries in use, and the smaller boats have to yield to the ferry, which I understand, but the ferries were CONSTANTLY either pulling in, pulling out, or crossing. We waited a full 40 min before the first boat showed up going to WL. We were on that first boat, but it was a full HOUR between leaving the park and being back in our room. That is unreasonable, IMO. Buses were slow to come and the stops at FW and GF were just riduculous. I'm over it. Back to the Epcot resorts next time for us!

Territory Lounge was a nice space, but our service there was lackluster. We ordered the cheese fondue and the onion soup, plus a couple beers. The waitress was fairly miserable, and to be frank, the cheese fondue was disgusting. It was overly powdery in texture (due to the cheddar cheese, I assume), and the bread was stale. Luckily, it was "free" since we paid for it with Disney Rewards points, but we were disappointed overall.

We did have a refrigerator in our room, and it was new and worked very well. HOWEVER, it was loud. Like, as loud as the refrigerator in my kitchen. I spent the first day trying to figure out what the noise in our room was from, and incorrectly attributed it to the A/C unit until I realized it was the fridge. On the other hand, the cabinet was not hot at all, and the fridge worked very well, but the trade off is a VERY loud unit. It just hums along all day and night.

Also, the pool slide has some sort of massive duct tape bandaid on the rockwork just above the slide entrance. It looks really, really tacky. It's a section about 1 ft x 2ft long of just overlapping strips of black tape. On the one hand, I am happy that the slide was open during our stay, but on the other hand, it shouldn't remain open looking like THAT! It really should be fixed a.s.a.p.

Roaring Fork has really good food, but they really need to do something to speed up the service in the grill area. I don't understand why they don't premake some stuff during the dining rush hours. EVERY burger, pizza, chicken sandwich, etc is made to order and it takes a LONG time. Even the fries and nuggets are only thrown in the fryer when someone places an order. It's so odd. They should continuously have a batch of nuggets and fries ready to go. And, seriously, they should just eliminate those kids nuggets since they have the other kind. Just make the kids meal 4 of those instead. Twice we ordered kids' nuggets meal for my son and had to wait over 5 min for kids nuggets to fry up when there were regular nuggets in the pan ready to go. So stupid. On the other hand, service in there was very good and we found the quality of the food in there to be excellent (particularly the roast beef sandwich and the flatbreads).
Thanks so much for posting your honest review of your 4-night stay. I felt more frustrated with the buses this visit, too. The boats seemed unchanged. I would probably feel this way though at any resort.

The (only real) problem with RF is that there is no ordering kiosks, which means you have to wait in line to order, then wait for your meal and then wait in another line to pay while your meal gets cold and then you might not get a seat. I am very surprised that RF has not adopted the kiosks. They allow you to walk right up and order then pay and find a seat. A buzzer rings when your order is ready. Nothing gets cold and you know you have seating. Much less frustration and far more efficient and your meal is still made to order and delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippa D Doodah View Post
I will always remember the very first time we visited WL (2006ish). We took the boat over from MK one afternoon, walked into the lovely lobby, and a nice CM lady handed us delicious fresh baked cookies. Been aiming to stay at WL ever since, and finally getting around to it next month.

This sounds crazy, but we don't pack until the night before we leave. We have been many times so we all pretty much know what to automatigically throw into the suitcases. Not much fretting and planning in terms of what to pack.

In honor of our upcoming WL stay I have purchased a new Tilley hat. I have found that they are about the best hats for hiking, playing, and vacationing outdoors. They keep me dry, cool, and sorta sporty-looking.
I hope you get some tasty treats again! Your hat will be especially befitting at AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Is that from Artist Point too?

Very helpful!
I believe the private dining meals are prepared at both WCC and AP, though I could be wrong and it might just be AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
Looks like you got some cooperation from PhotoBucket, even if it was a long fight. Thanks for posting the pics. We are looking forward to adding to our WL merchandise collection soon.
You're welcome, but UGH to PhotoBucket!!! Ever since they "improved" the software, it has just been a nightmare for me and my Macs. I won't go into all the problems, but if it weren't for the fact I have thousands of IMG codes associated with them, I would have stopped using them. It can often be a real struggle to edit and save photos. Rant over.....for now.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #1622
marymac123
DIS Veteran

Has anyone done the Wilderness Archery Experience? Could you tell me about it? DD and I were just rereading the 1st page and noticed it for the 1st time.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #1623
heart goes boOm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real Mrs Potts View Post
10 wopping days till we leave for Orlando! When do you usually start packing?
Lol two weeks or so before hehehhehehehe.

Anyway, does the breakfast cs have mickey waffles???
Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #1624
LB1122
Life's full of tough choices...Disney is not one of them

Transportation always has to involve a high level of patience. In the past I have decided to just let that one go as it is always overshadowed by the other amazing things. I did not know GF and WL shared buses...that seems a little odd to me as they are deluxe resorts??
Old 08-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #1625
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart goes boOm View Post

Yes, Roaring Fork has Mickey Waffles. (Even though they don't show up in some of the online menus.) They are available with chocolate, strawberry, or banana toppings from the counter on the left as you walk in and toward the back of the service area. Other breakfast platters with eggs, bacon, and sausage are available from the counter on the right.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #1626
LB1122
Life's full of tough choices...Disney is not one of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart goes boOm View Post

According to All ears Mickey waffles are only on the kids menu, but waffles are on the adult menu...I would think it was the same but do not know
Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #1627
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1122

According to All ears Mickey waffles are only on the kids menu, but waffles are on the adult menu...I would think it was the same but do not know
The only waffles RF sells are Mickey waffles. The adult platter has three waffles. The kids meal has ONE. Thy are available with chocolate chips & whipped cream, bananas foster sauce, or strawberries & whipped cream. $8.99 for a platter of 3 with a side of bacon. Just saw them a few days ago.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #1628
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The only waffles RF sells are Mickey waffles. The adult platter has three waffles. The kids meal has ONE. Thy are available with chocolate chips & whipped cream, bananas foster sauce, or strawberries & whipped cream. $8.99 for a platter of 3 with a side of bacon. Just saw them a few days ago.
Yes I tried all three on our recent trip to WL. Personally, I don't get the side of bacon but I ate it anyway. I'm still trying to get my weight back down.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #1629
mggeary
Mouseketeer

Forgive me if this is repetitive. Anyone know if WL is rumored to be a FP+ test resort for Nov? Thx in advance.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #1630
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1122 View Post
... I did not know GF and WL shared buses...that seems a little odd to me as they are deluxe resorts??
From our experiense, they often do ... but not always.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #1631
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

Is inner courtyard a room request option with online check in?
When i did online check in with cbr i had a bunch of options... akl had one lol.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #1632
rhondakg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
would the platter be considered a counter service on the dinning plan???
Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #1633
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondakg

I don't use the DDP, but saw people getting it who were on the plan. It counts as a combo CS meal. You also get a drink with it.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #1634
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondakg View Post

Yep. We often split one to save some CS credits. For the drink we usually got a water or juice to go since we had our mugs to fill.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #1635
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
I never understand Disney bus sharing at Deluxe resorts. You would think they would have their own transportation.

Nothing irritates me more that getting on the bus at BC (after it has filled up at YC), then stopping at Boardwalk and Swan/Dolphin to attempt getting to DTD!

I too am hoping that our Mardi Gras visit is less of a problem than the summer months are.
When we were at the WL in early February (we checked out the day before Mardi Gras) the resort wasn't full and most of the time there weren't long lines for Roaring Forks, the boats or buses. It was great. We finally experienced some crowds on the Saturday and Sunday of our stay, but it still wasn't too bad. The bus to Epcot, AK and HS shared with either GF or FW, which was rather annoying. The good thing was that WL was the first stop on the way back. Hopefully you will have less crowds on your trip then there are right now.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: