Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #1456
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandAdventure4 View Post
I actually like the idea of having everything on the band (room key, park passes, adr's, charging etc) it would make life easier than fumbling around in my wife's pocketbook at the gate. However I not a fan of limiting anything. So as I read it correctly you can only get 3 FP's in one park? So if your a park hopper you would be out of luck for FP's in anther park??
Based on the information so far:

You get three prebookable fastpasses BUT
- for 60 days out or sooner
- for one park per day per the t+c's
- only one fastpass used per ride that day (no going back for a second fastpass for the same ride)
-quite possibly split into tiers (they were in the tests) so you can only pick one attraction from each tier etc. This may be a way to limit the quota for headliner rides but this is not known for certain.
- they include pretty much all rides, shows, parades, fireworks, and selected counter service places (BOG at least.) HOWEVER no one knows if these other locations like parades count as one of the three fastpasses you are allocated in advance, or if those three are just for rides.

We do not know if you can get more on the day. Many say possibly but its still up in the air. Also unknown is whether or how they can cater to hoppers.

We STILL don't really know all that much for certain really.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #1457
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
It's a beige world after all?

I have no intention of flying 4000 miles and spending thousands of dollars to get a single headliner fastpass and then rely on whatever scraps they should deign to release on the day, if any, or be coerced into doing certain things. I want the chance for brilliant colour and spontaneous experiences, not a guaranteed but planned, limited, cookie cutter beige vacation dictated by some spreadsheet with my few precious fastpasses on. This seems far less conducive to that than the current system.

Sigh, the more I read the more this becomes a case of ideological differences and less technical detail and issues. Smartphone usage in park is just another example of where I and the tptb differ in mindset. And that's not good for our relationship.
This! (although we don't quite have 4000 miles to fly!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
However, Disney has the ability to pull out the stops. Again, I really want to see what comes down the pipes regarding the stats for them park attendance, and disney's response in June. (could be delayed to july or august, but the time bomb of Uni is ticking, and if it is serious as I think it is, disney will want to launch shock and awe)
I've been so cynical about all of this. I would love for Disney to prove me 100% wrong, launch the shock and awe and knock my socks off! However, I'm not holding my breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandAdventure4 View Post
I actually like the idea of having everything on the band (room key, park passes, adr's, charging etc) it would make life easier than fumbling around in my wife's pocketbook at the gate. However I not a fan of limiting anything. So as I read it correctly you can only get 3 FP's in one park? So if your a park hopper you would be out of luck for FP's in anther park??
I don't mind this concept either. It's all the messing with FP's, Big Brother trying to manipulate & control everybody, possibly adding extra charges along the way, that bothers me. I also don't really want to be "interacting with my phone while immersed in the Disney experience." No thanks. Especially if they don't do something to super-boost their wireless!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #1458
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Just returned from SWW, where I DID interact with my phone way more than I like to or usually do. Was checking Kenny the Pirate's (wonderful) character times schedule, checking FP times and on Sunday - which was insanely busy - we checked many wait times throughout the day. Also used the phone to text with DDs family who were in another park and send adorable pics home to other DD since I had her DD with me.

The problem was - my Iphone was down to 30% charge by 1:30. Fortunately DH had sent me with a new phone charger thing and I plugged in while waiting for and during a show. After 45 mins I was back up to 80%. That was good until 7 PM when I charged all the way back up while waiting for Hoopla @ 8 so I could tape it.

So how does Disney think everyone is going to keep their phones/ipads charged if they have to stay connected all day?? Do they really think we are all going to want to sit in their new charging areas for an hour? Maybe more than once a day? Do they think everyone is going to buy and use portable chargers like I did? I guess u could buy and carry extra batteries like for a camera
I did it for SWW for a very specific reason of meeting all the special characters, but didn't enjoy that part of it at all.

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #1459
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjakmom View Post
Just returned from SWW, where I DID interact with my phone way more than I like to or usually do. Was checking Kenny the Pirate's (wonderful) character times schedule, checking FP times and on Sunday - which was insanely busy - we checked many wait times throughout the day. Also used the phone to text with DDs family who were in another park and send adorable pics home to other DD since I had her DD with me.

The problem was - my Iphone was down to 30% charge by 1:30. Fortunately DH had sent me with a new phone charger thing and I plugged in while waiting for and during a show. After 45 mins I was back up to 80%. That was good until 7 PM when I charged all the way back up while waiting for Hoopla @ 8 so I could tape it.

So how does Disney think everyone is going to keep their phones/ipads charged if they have to stay connected all day?? Do they really think we are all going to want to sit in their new charging areas for an hour? Maybe more than once a day? Do they think everyone is going to buy and use portable chargers like I did? I guess u could buy and carry extra batteries like for a camera
I did it for SWW for a very specific reason of meeting all the special characters, but didn't enjoy that part of it at all.
You know, if Disney was really the marketing machine they are credited with being, they would have all sorts of merchandise carts in those charging areas. Talk about a captive audience!

I don't want to spend all day on my phone either, but must say I am very happy to have an android system so I can pop off the back and just drop in a new fully charged battery when needed.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #1460
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 View Post
Money that they CONTINUALLY put back into the parks and other areas of the complex.
Well, except the $54 million or so in direct and other compensation they pay Iger per year...

I'm guessing all the suits' salaries and bonuses could probably buy a working Yeti or two...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #1461
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

I have to say, I did use my iphone while in the parks on my last visit to check the wait times for lines I did not FP. However, when at Universal Hollywood last summer, I never took it out. Why? Because Universal has digital updated ride times on signs all over the park. Now, in the interview, he mentioned that Disney has digital media that doesn't look like digital. I can see how a digital sign would detract from the effective theming but wouldn't this be a better idea than expecting people to "interact with their smart phone"?

I do expect that this is the whole reason for this system. To force us to interact with smart media or park kiosks so the innumerable marketing opportunities for Disney to squeeze more money out of us and control our movements within the park can be achieved.

If I had more opportunities to check ride times, I would not have needed my phone. So based on observational evidence, Disney believes we "want" to interact with our smart phone. Instead of asking "why do they have to use their smart phones?".

The comments regarding "your experience will start from your own home" lead me to believe in forced advance planning. Maybe those of us who like to plan are actually to blame because we say we "like to plan". Maybe the receipt of your MagicBand package is enough to entice you to log in and see what other wonders await or maybe you just think, I guess this is our tickets and go about your business.

I learned the hard way about ADRs. Prior to my last trip, I could make dining reservations from my hotel on the day of. Fortunately, we went at a low crowd time and walked in to most restaurants with a slight wait (party of 2).

No word at all on the number of or tiers of FP. Nothing that will scare the liver out of people who actually make a touring plan.

Lots about data mining though, carefully crafted to focus on the "guest experience". So much more personal when they know everything you did in the park except for the parts where you are just enjoying the scenery. Oh Wait, they kind of know that too.

Concerned? Yes. Panic? No.

As for PP's comments on competition with US. This is not it. Not by a long shot. I plan my vacations based on whether or not there is something new at the park since my last visit that I would like to see. My next vacation in 2014 is being planned because of what is new at US/IOA. Since I'm in Orlando and the Mine Train is likely to be open, I will go there as well. This is a far more expensive vacation than going to other locations. I had already seen Transformers and Carsland because I went to California instead of Florida last year. They were just day trips.

I am really confused about this whole MM+/FP+ thing. I don't think their goals will be achieved.
agavegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #1462
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm sure they would offer you a low, low priced $100 charger for on the go, or just $20 for the day! Unbeatable value! (mostly as they'll be the only ones doing it.)

See the key word in this sentence "your experience WILL start from your own home", not can, could or might, will. This word right here encapsulates why I'm worried that people like me with no specific plans of what ride orders I want or even which park I will be in are going to be cast aside. I think we are moving from an open, free to participate or not without too many penalties system, to an effectively required system.

Other Trips :

Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #1463
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
I
I do expect that this is the whole reason for this system. To force us to interact with smart media or park kiosks so the innumerable marketing opportunities for Disney to squeeze more money out of us and control our movements within the park can be achieved.

Great observation!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #1464
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Well, except the $54 million or so in direct and other compensation they pay Iger per year...

I'm guessing all the suits' salaries and bonuses could probably buy a working Yeti or two...
Well that, and propping up the other parts of the company...P&R has been helping bankroll the rest through the seemingly endless hard times.

And speaking of Disney's Marketing Machine, take a look at what they did for John Carter, and then ask if you want them in charge of MyMagic+...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #1465
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I don't want to spend all day on my phone either, but must say I am very happy to have an android system so I can pop off the back and just drop in a new fully charged battery when needed.
Oh yeah, DH just explained that the iphone can't use extra batteries, has to be charged - why he bought me the charger. duh. You can see how tech-savvy I am! LOL Seems like a pain to me.

I know we don't know all the ins and outs and I'm also hoping beyond hope that Disney has something more than what they are alluding to, but I have already altered my upcoming plans to wait and see how this all works out. DH wanted to buy more DVC points for Xmas this year, but I don't want to make any more investment in WDW vacas until I see if this works for how I like to vaca and tour the parks -

I also cut back the WDW portion of DGrDs b'day trip at the end of the summer thinking at the time they might be rolling this out this summer - so now we are moving over to USF/IOA and also doing SeaWorld. Then we are doing a very short trip with only 1 park day in early Nov for the 1/2 marathon/ 5K - not planning any further trips for now - so many other great places to go while the dust settles.

Hopefully they decide to use the RFID technology to offer us all same day FP+ where you can schedule your FP times as soon as the park opens or a few hours before - with no ride restrictions - THEN I will be buying more DVC points!!

And one more thought - I DO NOT like the idea that they would hold back FPs for same day that they could randomly offer to others. So if I am forced to make a schedule and get online at 6 AM 60 days out and there are no TSMM FPs for when I want (like the BOG ADR I wanted due to the 180 +10 system) - but others who didn't pre-book might be offered those FPs same day??? Uh, No. Also am not feeling the love that I may now need to use my FP+ allotment in order to sit where I have been sitting for 40 years to watch the parades. I know, I'm getting old, I'm invested and have a looong experience to compare the new system to Obviously I'm not the target audience, but I am a loyal 'guest' and I have sent many many guests their way over the years. We'll see.

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #1466
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Strange how this afternoon I was ready to sit back and wait for "official information" and then....there it was! Nothing we did not expect I believe but just more detailed enough to forward the speculation. Combined with the T&C we know exists for MDE with the interview, I am convinced this discussion is one of the most worthwhile on this board. Too bad the title is what it is.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #1467
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

[/QUOTE]
And speaking of Disney's Marketing Machine, take a look at what they did for John Carter, and then ask if you want them in charge of MyMagic+...[/QUOTE]

What is John Carter?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #1468
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

Well that, and propping up the other parts of the company...P&R has been helping bankroll the rest through the seemingly endless hard times.

And speaking of Disney's Marketing Machine, take a look at what they did for John Carter, and then ask if you want them in charge of MyMagic+...
But of course something like that would never happen at the parks surely...

I'd think everyone would be on board with a system whereby you could prebook rides only a few days or hours out, or even just same day (even latecomers could just get up for a second, book passes that morning on the app, then go back to sleep. Problem solved), however it doesn't seem to benefit disney as much. Yet more evidence they are acting for themselves and not us.

Other Trips :

Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #1469
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
You know, I really relate to this. Its like Universal is doing things the way Disney use to, before bean counters ruled the world.

Look at the pathetic promotions that have been out lately, the weekly things. I mean , really?

And before, Universal had to carve out its own niche, trying to suck out a niche that disney did not do, the teen crowd and the thrill crowd. But now, they recognize, and have been working on, beating disney at its own game. The offer mind blowing new attractions, a complete revamp of older attractions, and are paying very close attention to detail. They are becoming a known family destination.

so its bean counters vs imagineers

Disney is the conglomerate bean counter
Universal is giving free rein to its imagineers.

I personally love the old school approach that universal is using, but I can see what disney thinks they will get out of their approach.

its going to be interesting to see this all come to a head, and honestly, I think that in the next couple of weeks we will see where disney stands. Arrogantly, based on crumbs tossed to the masses with bean counters (who are brilliant, I cant say they are not,) and marketing teams, (who are brilliant, and I can see how they plan to revolutionize things) and imagineers who have been muzzled with budgets and concessions..

vs Universals old school way of doing things. Plenty of new, plenty of more, and also, stuff that is entertaining across the grid.

All in all, I think the war is coming, but the attendance stats will be a true indicator for this.

Again, I cant help but watching as I think either this is going to be the most exciting June we have ever seen, or Disney ignores the threat, and continues its past behaviours.

~A
Disney let some imagineers go some time back according to some people. Maybe they all ended up at Universal? (And DreamWorks I imagine.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
It's a beige world after all?

I have no intention of flying 4000 miles and spending thousands of dollars to get a single headliner fastpass and then rely on whatever scraps they should deign to release on the day, if any, or be coerced into doing certain things. I want the chance for brilliant colour and spontaneous experiences, not a guaranteed but planned, limited, cookie cutter beige vacation dictated by some spreadsheet with my few precious fastpasses on. This seems far less conducive to that than the current system.

Sigh, the more I read the more this becomes a case of ideological differences and less technical detail and issues. Smartphone usage in park is just another example of where I and the tptb differ in mindset. And that's not good for our relationship.
You and I think alike here. I don't mind them making things more efficient but I dislike the notion that they are doing it by limiting our access to rides. I feel that in many ways WDW isn't what it used to be but I don't want to be unable to experience what Disney still has!

Quote:

It's even worse for those of us who don't have the right kind of phone. We may just get to stand in line to use one of the few kiosks. Maybe they could offer FP+ for kiosks...
Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #1470
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
What is John Carter?
Exactly my point.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: