Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #1426
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I think I am one of a large group of people who like to plan, but not plan to this degree.

You log in daily and "optimize" your ADRs? Really?
I'd argue you are one of a majority who don't like to plan to that degree.

No one really knows for sure. Perhaps people like me who don't want to plan rides are in the minority, and have been all this time.

I doubt we will ever really know the true figures, unless Disney releases their research with polls and the like.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #1427
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think I am one of a large group of people who like to plan, but not plan to this degree.

You log in daily and "optimize" your ADRs? Really?
I don't know about daily, but yeah, I'm always trying to get a slightly better time on one meal or the other, so I'm always looking. And then I end up switching things around inevitably once I do get one with a better time! Mostly on some of the character meals.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #1428
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I don't know about daily, but yeah, I'm always trying to get a slightly better time on one meal or the other, so I'm always looking. And then I end up switching things around inevitably once I do get one with a better time! Mostly on some of the character meals.
It sounds like you do more ADRs than I do. I just find a time I can live with and then generally leave it alone. At this moment I have a less-than-ideal 9:05p reservation at BOG in a few months, but I'm content to just roll with it. Love for it to be earlier, but it's not important enough for me to invest any more time into it. FPs will probably be the same for me.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #1429
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I can't think of many companies that would let a silly thing like being in the black keep them from doing something they have seen successfully bring big revenue into other companies.
Oh, absolutely. The more the merrier. But that still won't stop it from leaving a bad taste in my mouth as a loyal consumer of their product - WDW forcing us to change the way we're used to enjoying our visits, especially when it's purely profit drive, with even further, bonus profits being sought in the process. What am I getting in return as a loyal customer? I already tour well with the current system, I can already view parades & fireworks quite nicely without paying a premium. If WDW changes all of that, plus charges me extra I will probably no longer be a loyal customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
It might just be a matter of logging in once a day and trying to "optimize" your rides. I already do that with my ADRs now that I think about it. I think planning types would be willing to do that, many planning types are already optimizing their plans every day anyway and they think it's fun

The people who aren't going to do that are the people who don't like to plan anyway. Which is why I think that Disney built this system to eventually monetize it, rather than to help the masses enjoy their vacation more.

Interesting stuff anyway!
Yes, but if they limit me to one headliner fastpass/day I will never be able to "optimize" my rides, at least not the rides I want!

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF/3-night Bahamas ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #1430
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It sounds like you do more ADRs than I do. I just find a time I can live with and then generally leave it alone. At this moment I have a less-than-ideal 9:05p reservation at BOG in a few months, but I'm content to just roll with it. Love for it to be earlier, but it's not important enough for me to invest any more time into it. FPs will probably be the same for me.
It's mostly pre rope-drop character meals that I end up trying to get earlier ones. And then a better one will pop up on a different day so then I have to move everything around. Now, will I want to do this for 3 FPs a day times a six or seven day vacation...probably not.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #1431
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Yes, but if they limit me to one headliner fastpass/day I will never be able to "optimize" my rides, at least not the rides I want!
I know. ADRs aren't really a good analogy now that I think about it.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #1432
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

Quote:
I actually love that moment when I have the last ADR I need and the trip is all planned...... and I can just let it go and enjoy the anticipation. I guess I just love having all my ducks sitting in a row waiting to sail off.

It's going to irritate the crap out of me to need to keep babysitting that awful system filling in missing blanks.
Right there with you! I have all my ADR's and a general plan in place for our next trip EXCEPT for wanting to book the Wishes Desert Party. It is driving me crazy waiting to get this last reservation. I want to have my general plan in place so I can relax and begin obsessing over my packing list!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #1433
bwang123

this article from today seems to indicate that magicbands are developed to remove the paper from your hands. it mentions using it to enter the turnstyles and grab a fastpass for BTMMR.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,235111.story

here is the complete video of the interview.
http://allthingsd.com/20130529/apple...sney-is-video/

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #1434
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

#mymagic+:) :)

Magic bands and MM+ as explained by Edna Mode. Oh and Tom Staggs too.
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #1435
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Here is another new article today, although they are taking a more "creepy" angle.

They showed them off in California, and implied they are coming to DL. Queue the DL locals riots.

Given the lack of exact quote, the "opt-in" part I'm pretty sure is getting the MagicBand or not. You opt-in with the MagicBand. You opt-out with the card.

First mention I've seen about actively tracking though - although it could be the author's interpretation and angle.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #1436
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Here is another new article today, although they are taking a more "creepy" angle.

They showed them off in California, and implied they are coming to DL. Queue the DL locals riots.

Given the lack of exact quote, the "opt-in" part I'm pretty sure is getting the MagicBand or not. You opt-in with the MagicBand. You opt-out with the card.

First mention I've seen about actively tracking though - although it could be the author's interpretation and angle.
those articles are written directly off of the content in the video above. you can get all your quotes there. he does mention tracking from the bluetooth capabilities in the device. he said it will not track your exact movement but only as you pass through certain points. probably to predict crowd control, etc.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #1437
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
those articles are written directly off of the content in the video above. you can get all your quotes there. he does mention tracking from the bluetooth capabilities in the device. he said it will not track your exact movement but only as you pass through certain points. probably to predict crowd control, etc.
I'm listening to it now. Did he say bluetooth?!? Edit: Bah, I forgot bluetooth and Wi-Fi share the same frequencies.

I noticed he's talking about the $50 PIN limit again...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Last edited by doconeill; 05-29-2013 at 04:04 PM.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #1438
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
I actually love that moment when I have the last ADR I need and the trip is all planned...... and I can just let it go and enjoy the anticipation. I guess I just love having all my ducks sitting in a row waiting to sail off.

It's going to irritate the crap out of me to need to keep babysitting that awful system filling in missing blanks.
I don't think they'd want you to babysit your FP+ reservations. I'm guessing they'd rather you just click OK to the pre-selected package of FP+s offered up based on your profile.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #1439
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

So there goes my hope of it being reconsidered. Maybe it will still not require pre booking... But the article did mention arranging times online before you arrive. Looks like the days of the spontaneous or non planner trips with equal access to rides as planners might be coming to an end after all.

Taking "six or ten pieces of paper out of your hand" slight exaggeration there.

Yeah and replacing them with even less functionality. Three fastpasses and a ticket or kttw card. That's four pieces of paper Tom. Not ten.

Either that or he is hinting at same day fastpass availability. Or just talking about people with everyone else's cards. But... They'll still have multiple bands on them if they don't want kids wearing them.

My sense of foreboding grows. Offsite guests who don't plan, goodbye equal access in the future.

Be interesting what the several families my mother knows who stay in villas and offsite hotels and don't plan say about this new system, and whether they choose to plan because of it or are turned away by it.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-29-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #1440
dwheaton
Mouseketeer

This is an intriguing discussion, and it's been great to see the respectful debates.

Regarding the possibility of charging for FPs, I don't see that happening. Instead, I see Disney using it as a way to push people to stay on site, at deluxe resorts, and to join DVC. In a way, it's a price increase because it deprives off-site guests of the same perks, but it doesn't have a direct charge.

The big question is if it will ever work how it was designed. I believe the delay and lack of information is because they can't figure out a way to implement it and not induce chaos. This is the silver lining for me and gives me hope that at least the current FP system will remain in place along with extras.

I visited Disney World as a kid in the '80s and '90s and remember having a great time despite having to wait in line for the popular rides. We just got there early, plowed ahead, and saw as many attractions as possible. I believe the current Fastpass system still has a similar feeling. It rewards you for diligence and allows you to see as much as you can within the confines of the system. It gives a fair shake to anyone who pays the ticket fee at the gate and doesn't create a tiered system.

No matter what Disney eventually does with FastPass+ (I don't want to speculate too much since it's unknown), basically every option that I can consider removes that part of the visit. Yes, Universal does require you to stay on-site to get FOTL, but I've never had a problem getting on everything at their parks without it. Disney is a different entity and is dealing with much larger crowds (with a narrowing gap).

Finally, I think what's really bugging many of us is the overall culture of what's happening with Disney. The FP+ is more of a symptom than the sole problem. We're seeing Universal announce new attractions and build them in less than a year! They're opening Transformers and the Simpsons land this summer and will have Harry Potter next year. They just keep rolling along. While I understand that Disney can't respond every time, what do they have coming down the pipe? We probably won't visit again until early 2015 because we have a baby. Will there be anything new besides the Snow White Mine Train? I love Disney World and the amazing attractions, but they've been stalling for a while. Their focus on the Magic Band and FP+ seems worse because there isn't enough else that's happening with new rides.
dwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: