Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #1351
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 View Post

Where you can pay for front of line passes ? Universal is a Disney wannabee and always will be.

Just got back from 9 days at the parks ....saw exactly ONE wristband and that includes the 24 hour day
Doesn't mean disney can rest on their laurels though. A few years with no major expansions, and even with a planned expansion people might start talking about "that new land disney is releasing to compete with universal and Harry potter" even more so than now.

The fact you only saw one wristband is very revealing... Lots more tests needed.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #1352
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Where you can pay for front of line passes ? Universal is a Disney wannabee and always will be.
If I understand it correctly, Universal gives you those passes free if you stay on site, or you can purchase them otherwise. But it's just one charge and it applies to all attractions.

What a few posters have mentioned here is the with this new system that WDW could potentially start charging not only for FP's (which presumably wouldn't be for every attraction, unlike Universal's front of the line), but also charge for the best places to view fireworks, the best parade viewing spots, the best seats for shows, etc. - premiums on multiple items.

My point was Disney is expensive enough. If they start creating a tiered user-pay system for everything they run the very real risk of turning a lot of people off. Disney is no longer the magical place it has been, but a dollar hungry, money-grubbing corporation (ok, well they are probably already that last part, but this will make it very glaringly in your face).

Universal maybe a Disney wannabe wrt theming, etc, but they've got the thrill rides, HP and new attractions coming online. What does Disney have coming on line? Something that sounds like it could create longer waits, and congestion, while trying to squeeze every dime they can out of their customers.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #1353
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Maybe FP+ kiosks will NOT be guest-usable...

Had an interesting thought as I was explaining to someone on another site why they can't skim a MagicBand/RFID card and get your personal information, and what they worst case could do...and then I thought about kiosks.

At first I was thinking that they'd just be able to see when your FP+ reservations were, and potentially mess with them. But then I realized, these things would likely be hooked up to your profile - at least giving your name, and possibly the names of your family and friends linked in.

Could be a reason why were aren't seeing any guest-usable kiosks in the parks. Not sure what the deal will be at the resorts, as theoretically the same concerns exist (and likely even more - if they skim you there then it is more likely you are staying at the resort, and they could in theory get access to your room...)

4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #1354
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capegirl View Post
Yes, this is exactly what they did with the Wishes Dessert Party. We now have to pay to watch the fireworks from this location, and those who cannot come up with the money are out of luck. When we no longer have the opportunity of getting a 'good spot' for anything unless we pay up, then what would be the point of buying a ticket to begin with? You would be pretty much defeated before you even enter the parks. I agree, much more of this and it could indeed be a slippery slope for Disney, and become a PR nightmare. I hope none of this comes to pass, but I guess we'd better be prepared.
I Don't think the desert party location is all that good for wishes. And I've always been able to get a really good spot for wishes just a few minutes before they started. Not the best but always better than the desert party location. fantasmic and candlelight packages don't have the best seats either. If they continue this trend I'm all for it.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #1355
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post

If I understand it correctly, Universal gives you those passes free if you stay on site, or you can purchase them otherwise. But it's just one charge and it applies to all attractions.

What a few posters have mentioned here is the with this new system that WDW could potentially start charging not only for FP's (which presumably wouldn't be for every attraction, unlike Universal's front of the line), but also charge for the best places to view fireworks, the best parade viewing spots, the best seats for shows, etc. - premiums on multiple items.

My point was Disney is expensive enough. If they start creating a tiered user-pay system for everything they run the very real risk of turning a lot of people off. Disney is no longer the magical place it has been, but a dollar hungry, money-grubbing corporation (ok, well they are probably already that last part, but this will make it very glaringly in your face).

Universal maybe a Disney wannabe wrt theming, etc, but they've got the thrill rides, HP and new attractions coming online. What does Disney have coming on line? Something that sounds like it could create longer waits, and congestion, while trying to squeeze every dime they can out of their customers.
Something a previous poster said about what all these people would do if not waiting in line (either because this works, or because it lengthens standby so people just wander round till the they find a decent time or their next fp) really got me thinking.

The shops and walkways are already pretty busy (they were back in 09, can't imagine they'd be any better recently), so if this gets does people out of lines for whatever reason, they'll be even busier. Always assuming of course that's what disney wants and is aiming for. Its what they SAY they want anyway.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #1356
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It doesn't even have to be as complex as putting that info "on" your child's MagicBand, specifically.

As long as you include your cell number in the info in your Disney file, a CM can find that phone number by accessing your file from ANY of your tickets (or MagicBands.)
Yes, but I don't expect my 7 year old to hang onto tickets or cards. The band she would know not to take off however which is why I'd prefer it.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #1357
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
The shops and walkways are already pretty busy (they were back in 09, can't imagine they'd be any better recently), so if this gets does people out of lines for whatever reason, they'll be even busier. Always assuming of course that's what disney wants and is aiming for. Its what they SAY they want anyway.
If Disney wanted everyone out of lines.. why would they build all those interactive queues?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #1358
darnheather
DIS Veteran

All those that are talking about Disney using FP+ to start charging things...if they wanted to do that why couldn't they do that under the current system? Just add a credit card slot to each FP kiosk, make people buy tickets for certain viewing areas, etc. I think Disney knows exactly how much you can charge versus the amount of people they can get to pay.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #1359
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And will be a really good way to push guests out the gate and over to Universal.
Yes, but I can ride new rides over there. If I have to pay to avoid hour long rates, I would rather ride something new.

I don't think Disney should start charging to use Fastpass+ but I really think they want to. They can tie in hotel and ticket prices to the number of Fastpass+ you get daily. They can charge $$$ for an all access front of the line Magic Band.

I think it will be a slow process so people can adjust to the idea. They will also price the system in order to generate the most profit. They will lose some customers. But eventually they will make back the initial investment.

We just came home from our 11th trip, a week at Pop Century!
Dreamer & Wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #1360
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
Yes, but I don't expect my 7 year old to hang onto tickets or cards. The band she would know not to take off however which is why I'd prefer it.
I was attempting to agree with you.

I was just explaining why your idea would work with the MagicBands...
because they already have your phone number and other personal info in the current ticket system...
which will also become a part of the new MagicBand system.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #1361
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I was attempting to agree with you.

I was just explaining why your idea would work with the MagicBands...
because they already have your phone number and other personal info in the current ticket system...
which will also become a part of the new MagicBand system.
Thanks it's cool.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #1362
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:

This is part of the problem. Universal is no longer a wannabe when it comes to theming. They are working hard to improve and doing so rapidly. Disney should never become complacent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Something a previous poster said about what all these people would do if not waiting in line (either because this works, or because it lengthens standby so people just wander round till the they find a decent time or their next fp) really got me thinking.

I agree. I still want better merchandise if I will have extra time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
Yes, but I can ride new rides over there. If I have to pay to avoid hour long rates, I would rather ride something new.

I don't think Disney should start charging to use Fastpass+ but I really think they want to. They can tie in hotel and ticket prices to the number of Fastpass+ you get daily. They can charge $$$ for an all access front of the line Magic Band.

I think it will be a slow process so people can adjust to the idea. They will also price the system in order to generate the most profit. They will lose some customers. But eventually they will make back the initial investment.
I think that Disney will eventually start charging for fastpasses in some capacity. I believe that this is just the beginning of a long process.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #1363
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Universal has you PAY for their "skip the lines" pass ??? And that's ok but you people are complaining that Disney MAY someday do the same ?? Yes it's free to hotel guests but if Disney did the same for their hotel guests I'm guessing this board would be shut down from the influx of hatred for a company wanting to make money. Money that they CONTINUALLY put back into the parks and other areas of the complex.

By the way the skip the line pass is NOT on every ride and not available on harry potter.

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #1364
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Universal has you PAY for their "skip the lines" pass ??? And that's ok but you people are complaining that Disney MAY someday do the same ?? Yes it's free to hotel guests but if Disney did the same for their hotel guests I'm guessing this board would be shut down from the influx of hatred for a company wanting to make money. Money that they CONTINUALLY put back into the parks and other areas of the complex.

The "Officially announced projects that have shown construction are "New" Fantasyland and Disney Springs, a re-theming and expansion of the shopping venue at DTD. (Apparently some construction trailers have shown up and this will be phased since it will remain operational)

By the way the skip the line pass is NOT on every ride and not available on harry potter.
But...if you stay on site you get a whole hour before park opening in Hogsmeade and if you book a package you get a breakfast appointment at Three Broomsticks and a meal.

Last year in California I actually paid for the Express Pass for the day since it was August and it was a "gee I'm in California lets go to USH" kind of a trip. No plans were made though we did make it at park opening.
agavegirl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #1365
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

Let's play with this for a second. What feasible way does Disney have to limit the number of days a passholder can make FP+ reservations? Would it go back to the long-ago debunked theory of X number of FP+ reservations per quarter?

Let's say there is a kook who moves to Orlando and decides for his first year of living there he wants to go on Space Mountain every day. Short of limiting the number of days a passholder can use FP+ (and thereby basically limiting how much they use their AP), how can Disney stop this?
Well, there is a limit just based on what we know already. They're only going to be available 60 days out, correct? So that limits us to only playing with a 60 day time frame at a time as it is. So basically Disney has to decide if they want to limit how many fastpass days passholders/castmembers can book within the next 60 days. True, they don't want people just going in and booking for every weekend for the next two months, only intending on showing up one weekend. So they will have to place an arbitrary limit, that's just the common sense of it. The only other option would be to have you place a credit card deposit that you lose if you don't show, after a certain number of free ones. But I don't realistically see that happening, at least not at first. So we're left with an arbitrary number for each 60 days. What's appropriate? 10? 15? Who knows.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: