Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #1336
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post

I think Disney would need to be very careful with this. If you start nickel & diming your guests you are going to put them off big time. Blocking off big chunks of MS for premium parade & firework viewing, which will create traffic flow nightmares, and then charging for access to those areas does not sound like a positive PR move for Disney. If I have to pay I won't go to a show or have a premium spot for a parade (times 5 in my family) I don't care that much about them (the events, not my family! ) We'll skip the show and catch the fireworks from the resort ... oh, wait, Disney just put me off and I've left the park, along with my $$. Not super smart if that's their strategy.

And what about the families that scrimp & save for that special Disney trip? And now TPTB are going to charge them for all the best places to see a parade or the fireworks? That doesn't sound too magical. This has the potential to put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths (if they're setting up for premium pricing for everything).
Yes, this is exactly what they did with the Wishes Dessert Party. We now have to pay to watch the fireworks from this location, and those who cannot come up with the money are out of luck. When we no longer have the opportunity of getting a 'good spot' for anything unless we pay up, then what would be the point of buying a ticket to begin with? You would be pretty much defeated before you even enter the parks. I agree, much more of this and it could indeed be a slippery slope for Disney, and become a PR nightmare. I hope none of this comes to pass, but I guess we'd better be prepared.
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #1337
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
It's hard not to feel this system wasn't designed to exclude me, even if I know its just my circumstances and preferences that would exclude me from it. I guess ill just have to face it if the worst happens, that in that case WDW isn't for me. I'm still hoping they change their minds or it doesn't hurt my experience all that much though. I still want to go back at this stage. Whether I will next year...

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
So far, it's apparently not designed for me either. 3 FP+s won't be enough for us and ultimately we won't wait in any stand-by line longer than 15 minutes. We've managed to ride everything we want on each of our past trips without waiting longer than that using the current system.

Hopefully I'll be wrong and our park time will be impacted positively. Our trip next week won't be affected and I'm hoping FP+ won't be implemented yet on the August trip.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1338
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
You know, I've gotten a good number of very precious fastpasses through the years. And I haven't had to trample a single man, woman or child to get one. Nor have I ever been trampled by someone on their way to get a fastpass.
Ditto.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #1339
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
This I believe is the answer to a lot of questions. Disney is the only amusement park that has a free Fastpass system. (As far as I know)

For the last 10+ years Fastpass has been free. This gets many repeat guests to tour with a Fastpass in their pocket, creating a demand. Does anyone want to go back to touring without any Fastpasses?

Now, they add the Magic Band and kiosks manned with CM's to help you plan and book your Fastpass+ and my guess is to help you pay for it.
Exactly, this is my point.

I suspect they are going to start FP+ out for "free" but then there will be a very slow creep...pay a little more for this, pay a bit for extra FPs if three a day isn't enough for you...all just examples. And all of these options are being built into the system now (FPs, viewing areas for parades and fireworks, etc)

Once it's built, the options for monetization are limitless.

Last edited by ArwenMarie; 05-28-2013 at 07:40 PM.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #1340
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:

You know, I've gotten a good number of very precious fastpasses through the years. And I haven't had to trample a single man, woman or child to get one. Nor have I ever been trampled by someone on their way to get a fastpass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

Ditto.
Speak for yourselves. I've mowed down countless innocents.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #1341
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
We know.
We know.

Barbarians at the Ticket Gates.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #1342
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Ditto.
Same here. Although at times on the Toy Story Mania Dash, I thought it might come to that.

I HAVE, however, been trampled by a large family who decided not only were they going to use their Fastpasses NOW, but they were going to lock arms and make absolutely certain they weren't somehow separated while trampling over people to get into the Fastpass line the second their time came up...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #1343
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Exactly, this is my point.

I suspect they are going to start FP+ out for "free" but then there will be a very slow creep...pay a little more for this, pay a bit for extra FPs if three a day isn't enough for you...all just examples. And all of these options are being built into the system now (FPs, viewing areas for parades and fireworks, etc)

Once it's built, the options for monetization are limitless.
And will be a really good way to push guests out the gate and over to Universal.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #1344
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Your reputation precedes you.

Have you not seen the "Beware of Mesaboy" posters near the fastpass machines?

mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #1345
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:

Your reputation precedes you.

Have you not seen the "Beware of Mesaboy" posters near the fastpass machines?

You're not nobody unless you have enemies.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #1346
Lindy Loo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin

So far, it's apparently not designed for me either. 3 FP+s won't be enough for us and ultimately we won't wait in any stand-by line longer than 15 minutes. We've managed to ride everything we want on each of our past trips without waiting longer than that using the current system.

Hopefully I'll be wrong and our park time will be impacted positively. Our trip next week won't be affected and I'm hoping FP+ won't be implemented yet on the August trip.
We are the same. Coming from the uk.. we are praying the old system is still in use we use at least 5 fp a day and often ride the same ride 2 or 3 times
Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #1347
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy Loo View Post

We are the same. Coming from the uk.. we are praying the old system is still in use we use at least 5 fp a day and often ride the same ride 2 or 3 times
Current opinion is you are safe till well into summer I think.

They've only just had a few small sized tests, so hopefully you guys can get one last trip in under the old system.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #1348
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clebeouf View Post
From everything I have seen and read, this system will actually help to eliminate those people who run through the parks, trampling any man woman or child in site to get a precious FP.
Now instead those people will be trampling any man, woman or child in sight to get to that headliner that Disney wouldn't allow them any chance of getting a F+ for!

**DISCLAIMER** Only if there were not same day FP+s.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #1349
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
And will be a really good way to push guests out the gate and over to Universal.
Where you can pay for front of line passes ? Universal is a Disney wannabee and always will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Current opinion is you are safe till well into summer I think.

They've only just had a few small sized tests, so hopefully you guys can get one last trip in under the old system.
Just got back from 9 days at the parks ....saw exactly ONE wristband and that includes the 24 hour day

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #1350
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
And I also bet if you where given 60 seconds to plan one day at each park and chose 8 FP+ headliners or otherwise-we all could do it.
Not if we had to use MDE

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: