Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #1291
Cinderumbrella
Wench

As always Rileygirl, this latest post raises some interesting ideas...
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #1292
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I would just like to say that it has been truly lovely getting to discuss all this continually for the past few days without anyone popping in to call us all Disney haters or Debbie Downers. This has been a great discussion, keep it up folks!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #1293
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post

Exactly like they feel currently.

"IF", what if they are shorter? Why is the same or worse? What if a family has 3 late afternoon or evening FP+'s scheduled? There is a far better chance with this system that they will do a character brunch (yes I said brunch, why hurry for breakfast) swim, then hit the park later than they would with the current system, because there is a chance we may get a FP yet?

Because 80% will go home and report 3 a day with no wait instead of we stood in line 6 hours and got 3 rides in. They will have to wait for more, but that's exactly like they feel currently-only the whole time.

Who knows, they may scrap it yet, or they may leave the current FP machines running along with it. But FP+ is better for the majority 80% IMO.
But how can they stop standby lines from growing even longer by expanding the usage of FP and the places at which you can use FP? So you only get 3 FP in advance to limit impacts on standby lines. If these FP are all booked up, standby will still be the same, surely.

The rest of the time aren't using those 3 lovely afternoon FP's you will be in standby, but everyone using FP when you are stood in standby will increase the wait time, unless Disney can find a solution.

They are not limiting the impact of FP's with this if they are just distributing them more evenly across the population. Unless they reduce the overall amount of FP's available, the impact of them on stanby times will remain the same.

Instead of just late comers and the uninitiated getting screwed, it's still going to be an flawed system, just one whose flaws affect everybody.

And if wait times do get longer I think Disney will be in trouble.

This would all be fine if Disney existed in it's own little perfect world without competition. It doesn't and this policy actually doesn't strengthen disney in regards to it's competition all that much, it could even weaken it.

For those who don't want to use FP+ or plan rides in advance, and those people are out there, Universal and other parks will become a far more attractive proposal, because though their lines are still not short, at least they won't be as bad as Disney will get without using FP+. What is the point of having more attractions and parks available at WDW if you can't get on them without a fastpass booked 60 days in advance?

For those that do decide use FP, they will still wait in really long lines for the rest of the time. If you want to do more than three rides without "insane wait times" as people often say now, good luck. If you don't get the best FP's, good luck getting on a headliner still, that will not change all that much. If you don't get the right times, you'll have to adjust your schedule.

What if people like you who want to sleep in and not rush don't get that afternoon FP time because people have snapped it up, just 60 days in advance? If you can't get a same day FP (and as you say latecomers can't now, so it's unlikely to change) they will have to wait in standby, and I still think standby will be affected by (prebooked) fastpasses just the same if not worse than it is now. They will either have to adjust their touring strategy or accept increased standby times, especially at places like the HM that never had FP.

For those that WANT FP's, they will perhaps look at Universal and it's front of the line pass and see that as a more attractive option. A few might stop going to disney because of the limits they have placed on fastpasses. The rest will game the system to their advantage by formulating a plan to get the best FP's as soon as they become available 60 days out, leaving the naive newcomers logging in an hour after the fastpasses come online just as screwed as they are now in regards to popular rides.

If I were at Universal now I'd be preparing ads that emphasise that unlike Disney, Universal gives you UNLIMITED front of the line access with a pass, which you can get free with an onsite stay.

Yes Disney can't compete on this front because universal only has 3 onsite hotels and an unlimited fastpass system wouldn't be feasible for Disney, but that is why they should fight Universal on traditional ground like theming, attractions and try and change pricing etc. Not try and make rides available for everyone equally, I don't think it's possible.

Someone is always going to get screwed. Will less people get screwed under the new system? I don't know. I don't think so.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #1294
darnheather
DIS Veteran

I'm crossing my fingers that this will be ready by the time we go. I love the idea of pre-booking parade viewing! We don't do roller coasters or scary rides or park hop so I'm not at all worried about using up our maximum per day. Also the bands seem like such a great alternative to the cards. Would be great if you could put cell phone information onto the little one's bands just in case you get separated so that a cast member could scan and ring you.

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #1295
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
I'm crossing my fingers that this will be ready by the time we go. I love the idea of pre-booking parade viewing! We don't do roller coasters or scary rides or park hop so I'm not at all worried about using up our maximum per day. Also the bands seem like such a great alternative to the cards. Would be great if you could put cell phone information onto the little one's bands just in case you get separated so that a cast member could scan and ring you.
As currently envisioned, this general capability should already be there without putting any personally identifiable information on the band.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #1296
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverdude View Post
There is a point, at which, the more complicated they make all this for the average or new visitor, the more people will just say "forget that, we're going somewhere else." I don't pretend to know what that point is, however, lol.

That said, with regard to the phantom fp+ reservations, I assume there will be something in place that only allows a person to reserve the same number of days as are on their ticket media (example- visitor has a 5 day MYW ticket, and they are allowed to book fp's for 5 different days in the system. If they want to book another day, they would have to cancel one of the current ones.)

Yes, they could theoretically keep cancelling old days and making new reservations, although I don't see how that would be such a big deal since they can only hold so many at a time- and I don't see tons of people doing that. I'm not sure if they could really get away with having a penalty on that either- would alienate people more than it does with a dining reservation. Also it doesn't possibly lose Disney money like it might with people not showing for a dinner reservation.

The passholder and castmember ticket situation with this, though, will be interesting to see how that shakes out. Obviously they do have to put some kind of limit on the number of days you can hold fp's for at one time. Otherwise, yes, there would be a few kooks out there who would sit there at the computer every day making sure they have a space mountain fastpass for every single day of the year, lol.
There are many people that visit the parks now that can't be bothered to educate themselves about the current FP system, which is free and available the same day.

How does Disney think they will make people make reservations for rides months in advance when some won't even do it the same day?
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #1297
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Would be great if you could put cell phone information onto the little one's bands just in case you get separated so that a cast member could scan and ring you.
It doesn't even have to be as complex as putting that info "on" your child's MagicBand, specifically.

As long as you include your cell number in the info in your Disney file, a CM can find that phone number by accessing your file from ANY of your tickets (or MagicBands.)

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #1298
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBerry View Post

There are many people that visit the parks now that can't be bothered to educate themselves about the current FP system, which is free and available the same day.

How does Disney think they will make people make reservations for rides months in advance when some won't even do it the same day?
Marketing! Web pages!

Yeah, I don't think so.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #1299
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
As currently envisioned, this general capability should already be there without putting any personally identifiable information on the band.
That is great to know. Thank you.

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #1300
mesaboy2

Quote:

That is great to know. Thank you.
Each band has on it a unique identifier--and only that identifier--that by itself is meaningless. When linked to WDW servers though, that identifier can access most everything about you that WDW has compiled information on: name, address, phone number, date of birth, traveling party, favorite color, whatever.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #1301
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Marketing! Web pages!

Yeah, I don't think so.
This was basically the response my mother made when I played devils advocate.

"But what if everyone starts using this new system?"

"Why? Some of them don't even use the fastpass system now, and thats incredibly simple."

"... advertising?"

Yeah, I was stumped.

Other Trips :

Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #1302
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post

This was basically the response my mother made when I played devils advocate.

"But what if everyone starts using this new system?"

"Why? Some of them don't even use the fastpass system now, and thats incredibly simple."

"... advertising?"

Yeah, I was stumped.
It's the ol' "you can lead a horse to water..." thing.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #1303
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Each band has on it a unique identifier--and only that identifier--that by itself is meaningless. When linked to WDW servers though, that identifier can access most everything about you that WDW has compiled information on: name, address, phone number, date of birth, traveling party, favorite color, whatever.
and where you had lunch, where you're having dinner, the fact you purchased a Pluto plush at 11:47AM this morning....
agavegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #1304
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post

and where you had lunch, where you're having dinner, the fact you purchased a Pluto plush at 11:47AM this morning....
That is much more to the point of it all it would seem.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #1305
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Don't KTTW cards for onsite guests have all that?

I suppose this will extend that info to rides and shows, and apply it to offsite and AP guests... if they do take it up.

Other Trips :

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: