Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #1276
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Appointment riding Squidgy, ask mom2rtk about it! Its going to be more then 3 during most of the year, and at holiday and peak season, disney will be gettin you to pay for optional stuff!

ok- seriously, gtg!
But then... if lots of people get extra fastpasses (or pay for them) standby lines will be even WORSE, and these extra fastpass people will still have to ride standby somewhere unless Disney gives them 6, 7 or 8 FP's a day covering every ride in the park across the day, presumably including same day fastpasses.

If they keep the current time limits on fastpass usage (one an hour or something like that would be sensible) then that means you could effectiveky only ride what you had fastpassed. Standby times would mean that you couldn't take the chance of waiting in that line, your next FP+ is coming up.

Ergo, the current complaint of Disney ("lines are long") will become "You really have to get a fastpass or else don't even think about riding any rides, and Disney don't let you have enough for all the rides, unless you turn up early and grab what they release that morning. Pick what you want to ride 60 days out and don't expect to ride any more than that."

On the other hand if not many people got extra fastpasses, the problems of others looking at these special people with envy, or saying "we couldn't get fastpasses for that so we had to stand in a long line" still remain, but just with a different cause.

Rock> <Hard place.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #1277
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

"Leave the FP system, the heck, ALONE!"

(Just an oldie from the grooveyard of forgotten favorites.)

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #1278
fflmaster
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

For those experts and people down there, has there been anything new?

I heard a test of this being live to a very few individuals was supposed to happen. We haven't heard if this did go live or not.

Did anyone that was on this test post what was happening?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #1279
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I can buy a regular EXPIRING MYW ticket and "hold onto it" indefinitely and do the same thing.

Buying a non-expiring ticket and using it over time is no worse, nor better, in curbing "phantom FP+ reservations."
Disneyland tickets expire December 31 each year. You can't buy ahead. It's my understanding that the NE ticket was purely a Walt Disney World model.

One Disney: DisneyParks
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #1280
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
Disneyland tickets expire December 31 each year. You can't buy ahead. It's my understanding that the NE ticket was purely a Walt Disney World model.

One Disney: DisneyParks
They do? If true, you just saved me a bunch of money (thanks!). I think I'll research further....
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #1281
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(

There is a point, at which, the more complicated they make all this for the average or new visitor, the more people will just say "forget that, we're going somewhere else." I don't pretend to know what that point is, however, lol.

That said, with regard to the phantom fp+ reservations, I assume there will be something in place that only allows a person to reserve the same number of days as are on their ticket media (example- visitor has a 5 day MYW ticket, and they are allowed to book fp's for 5 different days in the system. If they want to book another day, they would have to cancel one of the current ones.)

Yes, they could theoretically keep cancelling old days and making new reservations, although I don't see how that would be such a big deal since they can only hold so many at a time- and I don't see tons of people doing that. I'm not sure if they could really get away with having a penalty on that either- would alienate people more than it does with a dining reservation. Also it doesn't possibly lose Disney money like it might with people not showing for a dinner reservation.

The passholder and castmember ticket situation with this, though, will be interesting to see how that shakes out. Obviously they do have to put some kind of limit on the number of days you can hold fp's for at one time. Otherwise, yes, there would be a few kooks out there who would sit there at the computer every day making sure they have a space mountain fastpass for every single day of the year, lol.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #1282
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Squidgyness, I will try-but really have no great answers, no for sure answers, and actually rarely rope drop so even one FP is great for us. But if 80% of guests are not even getting one FP currently, even 1 to 3 is a huge improvement IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
This is my problem.

Can anyone please explain:

1) How standby lines will be made shorter by expanding fastpass to more locations and making more people use fastpass (albeit 3.) Guests who have never used FP will enjoy 3 shorter lines a day, but what about the rest of the day?
They don't get 3 now, the rest of the day will be the same as now.

Quote:
2) [B]What these newly fastpassing guests are going to feel when they arent using fastpasses.
Exactly like they feel currently.

Quote:
If standby lines are just the same, or worse,
"IF", what if they are shorter? Why is the same or worse? What if a family has 3 late afternoon or evening FP+'s scheduled? There is a far better chance with this system that they will do a character brunch (yes I said brunch, why hurry for breakfast) swim, then hit the park later than they would with the current system, because there is a chance we may get a FP yet?

That's one family not in lines that would have been.

Quote:
what is the point of messing with fastpass to enable three a day for more people. These people WILL have to wait standby at some point, and they WILL still complain about it.
Because 80% will go home and report 3 a day with no wait instead of we stood in line 6 hours and got 3 rides in. They will have to wait for more, but that's exactly like they feel currently-only the whole time.

Quote:
Actually, won't it become even more obvious how bad standby lines are to a lot more people when that 10 minute wait with a FP suddenly becomes a 50 minute wait without one when they get to next ride? Which will they remember better, the 10 minute fastpass they had one morning or the three other rides that morning they had to wait in a loooong standby line for? Especially with the tight limits on FP numbers.
Probably an even split. But you can be sure they will say "thank God we had that/those FPs" and will check the kiosk for more.

Quote:
I can't think of a satisfactory answer. I'm trying to be positive, but logic dictates that more fastpass locations + more people using it = the same or longer standby lines, even with the limits. And those limits effectively result in people having to wait in a lot of standby times anyway.
But 80% have huge lines all day now, not "a lot"...."every one".

Quote:
What Disney is effectively doing to the fastpass system is taking away a system that really pleased some people, and replacing it with one that might please the majority very little or not at all. Not to mention annoying all those people who liked using the old system.
Who knows, they may scrap it yet, or they may leave the current FP machines running along with it. But FP+ is better for the majority 80% IMO.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #1283
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
That's not addressing the reason for my reply to the post I quoted.
She was siting potential FP+ "scheduling abuse" as the reason for
(her idea that) Disney would cease issuing NE tickets.

My point was that if FP+ "scheduling abuse" was my PLAN, I wouldn't
be stopped by the lack of NE tickets. I could "abuse the system" using
the (much less expensive) regular MYW tickets.
I addressed that a few times before. *IF* it actually becomes a problem, simple solution. Your ticket allows you to reserve FP+ for one day per day available on your ticket.

If you pre-book, and then allow them to expire - you've burned that day for FP+. Doesn't matter if you entered the park of not. That's one less day you can do it in the future.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #1284
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverdude View Post

The passholder and castmember ticket situation with this, though, will be interesting to see how that shakes out. Obviously they do have to put some kind of limit on the number of days you can hold fp's for at one time. Otherwise, yes, there would be a few kooks out there who would sit there at the computer every day making sure they have a space mountain fastpass for every single day of the year, lol.
Let's play with this for a second. What feasible way does Disney have to limit the number of days a passholder can make FP+ reservations? Would it go back to the long-ago debunked theory of X number of FP+ reservations per quarter?

Let's say there is a kook who moves to Orlando and decides for his first year of living there he wants to go on Space Mountain every day. Short of limiting the number of days a passholder can use FP+ (and thereby basically limiting how much they use their AP), how can Disney stop this?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #1285
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Let's play with this for a second. What feasible way does Disney have to limit the number of days a passholder can make FP+ reservations? Would it go back to the long-ago debunked theory of X number of FP+ reservations per quarter?
Was it really "debunked"? We don't know how passholders will be handled at all yet.

Quote:
Let's say there is a kook who moves to Orlando and decides for his first year of living there he wants to go on Space Mountain every day. Short of limiting the number of days a passholder can use FP+ (and thereby basically limiting how much they use their AP), how can Disney stop this?
Well, there are a variety of ways. Without totally limiting them, then can keep a score of how many times you failed to use them, and send warnings, and if unheeded, reduce the lead time or prevent them entirely.

Only allow X per year at 60 days, Y at 10 days, etc.

All pure conjecture though, since the only thing we know at this point is that passholders will get to use Fastpass+.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #1286
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Was it really "debunked"? We don't know how passholders will be handled at all yet.
It was debunked in the sense that the person who "reported" it was shown to be making stuff up.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #1287
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
It was debunked in the sense that the person who "reported" it was shown to be making stuff up.
Yes, although I don't know if that specifically was made up. It is, in theory, a valid approach. One that local passholders will be shining their pitchforks for...

Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #1288
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quick question. The Fast Pass+ is for 3 prebookings per day. Is that per park per day or just per day in total. I ask because if it is per park per day then it could be used as a mechanism to promote more park hopping. Apologies if this has been addressed already but this thread is a loooong one to read through.

Also. It seems many people are up in arms about this is a tactic to get people to spend more time in shops and spend. Maybe its part of a grander plan to accomodate long term future expansions to all of parks and Walt Disney World as a whole. Maybe Fast Pass+ for the next few years is really meant to be the proving grounds for plans that are 5,10,15 yrs down the road. Maybe Fast Pass as we know it was phase one if Fast Pass+. Just food for thought. After all, disney has made substantial acquisitions in the recent years and have enough material to work with to double what we currently know as Walt Disney World I know disney has switched gears in the past on ideas but a $1b system is a lot if Mickey bars an if we accuse them if pandering to the stockholders on changes we have to give them some benefit if the doubt that the $1b investment is part if something big that will benefit all. Unhappy guests will result in unhappy shareholders
Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #1289
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gitman View Post
Quick question. The Fast Pass+ is for 3 prebookings per day. Is that per park per day or just per day in total. I ask because if it is per park per day then it could be used as a mechanism to promote more park hopping. Apologies if this has been addressed already but this thread is a loooong one to read through.
One park, per day. You can't pre-book FP+ for a second park in the same day, per the T&C page.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #1290
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

deleted

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: