Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #1111
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I hope there is going to be a DHS installment. The photo pass aspect and face recognition and the automatically tied to the ride photos could be a big deal. A little creepy, but probably not.

I also hope at some point you can weave in the use of a CS FP+, I am having a terrible time imagining that.

Thanks for the story.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 05-26-2013 at 11:20 PM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #1112
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

A year ago we did a split stay between Universal and WDW because my daughter (she's 18 now) had wanted to see HP. She ended up buying, a cloak, wand, scarf, tie, map, jewelry, pins, amulets, chocolate frog, plus other stuff I can't even remember. Anyway she spent a ton of money on stuff, not really sure how FP+ is going to get her to spend money.

She's already requested that we go to Universal in 2014 once the new HP is open, while she could care less about FP+. Now she's been going to Disney annually since she was 4 and loves everything Disney, but I'm pretty sure she would gladly give up 4-5 days at Disney for 4-5 days at Universal.

I guess in 2-3 years we'll see who was right, Universal with top rated attractions or Disney with FP+ and rubber wrist bands. I hope it is Disney otherwise I'll be renting out all my DVC points and staying at a Universal resort.
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #1113
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Rileygirl, I am really loving your little story! We have all met that family - the ones who tell you they don't ever want to go back to Disney, because all they did was stand in line.

But darn it - I opened my eyes and read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
When you think about 80% of those people checking off the little boxes you have to assume that none of them will just toss all of those papers to the side and none of them will book offsite (or even room only onsite) and just show up. How many casual visitors plan now and how many will once FP+ is implemented?

Also the Utopian concept of good IT is something I'm having trouble seeing.
The cruise analogy reminds me of a Dr I worked for who took his family on a DCL vacation and came back bummed because everything they wanted to do was already booked in advance, and they didn't know you had to sign up for activities as soon as you got onboard - he had no idea about planning on the website at all!

My second thought is that if they are so worried about these 80% not wanting to come back, why are the parks so crowded

Okay, now back to our story :

Last edited by MAGICFOR2; 05-26-2013 at 11:15 PM.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #1114
4under4
DIS Veteran

Rileygirl, as I was reading your posts, I just kept hearing the sing-song voices from Madmen as they were pitched an idea to a client. (and now that theme music is floating through my head).

You have got TALENT! I had sworn off this thread last night because I was getting too stressed. Now I'm glad I don't have any willpower.

Can't wait for the next installment

Me & DH plus our gang: DS13 DS11 DD/DS9

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #1115
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

I'm thinking Rileygirl was in the group that sold this idea to those that wrote the checks. Sounds wonderful but I'm just not sold that EVERYONE can have this experience. But I have enjoyed the story!
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #1116
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
A year ago we did a split stay between Universal and WDW because my daughter (she's 18 now) had wanted to see HP. She ended up buying, a cloak, wand, scarf, tie, map, jewelry, pins, amulets, chocolate frog, plus other stuff I can't even remember. Anyway she spent a ton of money on stuff, not really sure how FP+ is going to get her to spend money.

She's already requested that we go to Universal in 2014 once the new HP is open, while she could care less about FP+. Now she's been going to Disney annually since she was 4 and loves everything Disney, but I'm pretty sure she would gladly give up 4-5 days at Disney for 4-5 days at Universal.

I guess in 2-3 years we'll see who was right, Universal with top rated attractions or Disney with FP+ and rubber wrist bands. I hope it is Disney otherwise I'll be renting out all my DVC points and staying at a Universal resort.
Do both. That's the only solution that worked for us. It's only money after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
I'm thinking Rileygirl was in the group that sold this idea to those that wrote the checks. Sounds wonderful but I'm just not sold that EVERYONE can have this experience. But I have enjoyed the story!
Who is this Rileygirl anyway? Hmmmm.....
Old 05-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #1117
jdonat
Mouseketeer

Here's why I'm a bit worried

Way back in 2004-2005 we spent NYE at the resort. We got in on the 28th, checked into the BWV and headed for the International Gateway to get our AP vouchers redeemed before we got into the park. So, we get to the head of the line and explain what we want to do... The CM behind the window explains that the new system for admissions is down -they can't even issue us AP's! So, we get from the CM 1 day park hoppers, and they let us know that we may be able to get our AP's from the main Guest Relations area in Future World. What happened, is, if you remember from 2004-previous, AP holders were the only ones that needed to 'check in' with biometric access. This was the 3 finger biometrics -thumb, index and middle finger on a panel. WDW was from 2005 on were going to use the index finger biometric to identify guests entering the park. So, the single finger panels were on the turnstiles, but not working. Neither was most of WDW's ticket/admission system, including ALL Fastpasses in ALL 4 PARKS. One of the people that we were traveling with, along with myself are IT professionals -he works for one of the largest consulting groups in the world... and I was working for the company that 'put the dot in dot com'.. We asked WHY they were doing a cold cutover during the week between Christmas and New Years -remember, this is the absolute BUSIEST BUSIEST time of the year... The answer was that they wanted to have it running before the WDW Marathon. So, we have a nice evening at Epcot, and head over to the Guest Services area in FW. Guest Services is a nuthouse. There were a LOT of very senior WDW execs running Guest Services that night. We got done, got our AP's and asked one of the senior folks exactly who decided to do a cold cutover on the 28th of December. He commented that he wasn't sure, but there was a BIG meeting scheduled the next day at 0700 with lots of folks involved. The next day appeared to be OK -passes worked, and FP worked fine. A cold cutover BTW, means going from system A to B with NO way to go back to system A if system B doesn't work. A previous poster showed the way this 'should' be put on line -my worry is that history will repeat itself. Some WDW exec is going to do the 'it HAS to be up by XXX, no excuses, no reasons that it can't be running by when I want it up... And then FP+, with whatever bells and whistles are there, is fired up and, then chaos. And, I can see some of the chaos... (wi-fi issues, website issues, not enough kiosks, etc, etc.).

Look, it could go well, but given the 2004-2005 debacle, I'm a bit concerned.
#Disneyland 1992/1997/2000/Disneyland Paris 1997
# BWV 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2006/2007 2008/2009 2009/2010 Jan 2011 Dec 2011 Jan 2012 October 2012 Dec 2012 NYE 2014/2015
# All Star music 2002, Mar 2012 All Star Sports Jun 2012, Beach ClubVillas 2002 AKL Kidani Village Apr 2011 Mar/June 2012 May 2013 Feb/July 2014 AKL Jambo House June/October 2011
#OKW/WL Aug 2003 OKW Grand Villa NYE 2003/2004 2004/2005 2005/2006 WL Easter 2004 WDW Swan Aug 2008
jdonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #1118
littleacceb
Earning My Ears

Rileygirl, if you don't blog, then please start, and if you do, please provide a link.

Thanks
littleacceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #1119
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #1120
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Also, the adventures of Squidgy, and his son Lenny invade from England, staying off site at the Pessimistic hotel and suites, just 5 minutes down the road on International Drive......
Oh yay! That's on cynical avenue, just past the doom and gloom resort if I remember correctly.

This is very interesting. It's certainly making me think... even if I still think someone is going to end up getting screwed over by this. Do continue!

One thing I will say is this: Why didn't they introduce all this personalisation stuff with the magic band, update the same day first come first served fastpass system to RFID tickets (or the band) and use kiosks in place of current FP machines. Risk free, and they get the new tech in the parks.

Imagine the current fastpass system, but instead of traipsing over to the specific ride you wanted to get a paper FP, you could wave your magic band in front of the nearest kiosk.

A screen would then pop up: SELECT RIDE *tap screen* SELECT TIMES *tap one available* CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE BOOKED A FASTPASS FOR SPLASH MOUNTAIN AT 11:30. YOUR NEXT FASTPASS SLOT WILL BECOME AVAILABLE AT 13:30. WOULD YOU LIKE A PRINTOUT? *tap yes* HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!

Given that you would have to wait an hour after your current fastpass window ends and you can't book another one till then, wouldn't most early risers book the earlier slots first, hopefully leaving people who come into the park at 10 or 11 with a chance of getting one of the later slots? Or is that not true, and the problem with fastpass now?

But I still can't see how FP+ fixes this, given that most of these late risers wouldn't be online at 9am sharp 60 days out like a hawk, booking their slots in advance. I don't think it's part of their mindset tbh. The disney vets will grumble all right, but they'll still get up early and wait for that window to be open with a concrete plan of what they want because they have to ride those headliners. Mr Newby is just going to log in when he can (what if the 60 day window opens on a week day? I doubt that newby will even be thinking about Disney till he gets home. Disney vet on the other hand... BAM! Booked up in a swift flurry of prime rides and times.)

My point is that the newby is always going to be at a disadvantage, because whatever system Disney puts in place the vets will game to their advantage. This new prebooking system will make vets feel they have to book in advance and pick the best rides (whilst annoying the hell out of them because they can't fastpass splash mountain more than once), and mr newby is going to be even more screwed than he is now with fastpasses, having taken the scraps that Disney offers him when he prebooked his FP's. He can't even fluke a decent fastpass on the day now.

Unless Disney just count on fooling these newbies that it was worse back in the day and they have it sweet now. In which case that might work, but it won't fly with repeat customers. I'm not sure I like the ulterior motives here. Disney is usually a lot better with balancing their true motives with ones that are aimed to benefit the guest. I think they are going to get a lot more out of this than the guest than usual.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-27-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #1121
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

When did this thread turn into the story of "Grumpy vs. Squidgy: The Dichotomy of Disney"?!?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #1122
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #1123
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Should I move these posts to another thread? If someone makes a thread, I will copy these posts over if you prefer. Let me know!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #1124
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Well you got the dress style down, I'll give you that! Though I don't even have a license yet, so my theoretical son would be quite right to grab the wheel!

I still wouldn't have booked my tickets 90 days out though, have you seen the prices in the UK?

However, I'll go along with it for arguments sake...

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #1125
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: