Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #1096
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

not free anymore for you or the mouse

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #1097
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Hi Tammie.

I am having the same issues with all the websites too. I did discover something interesting yesterday though...

I don't think this is off topic, because it relates to the whole website issue.

If I log into My Disney Experience with my email and password, I can see my DVC reservations for June and October. But NONE of my dining reservations.

But when I logged into my DVC account, I had to link my accounts. I had to call to get my linking code and everything worked well. My ESPN account and my DVC account and MDE accounts were linked. Or I thought so. All of my linked accounts don't use my email, they use a username and password.

So when I log into MDE with my username and password, my dining reservations show up, but not my room reservations. If I use my email, just room reservations.

So here is where it gets crazy... When I log into MDE with my email. I can see my room reservations (no dining). I can then book an ADR in that email account. And then it will disappear and will only show up in my linked account I can't get both to show up at the same time.

If I go to my iPad and use the app - it is like playing roulette. I never know what to expect. Luckily everything is still there...somewhere. I have printouts.

So back to your point. Not much has changed since January with the online services.

I have completely given up on the shared account and adding all the people to the dining reservations.
Hi Barry! That is crazy! I had that kind of trouble several years ago with DCL and the other sites - they had DH's birthdate off by a day so they wouldn't let me register him for the cruise. Not holding my breath.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #1098
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #1099
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
I am really having a hard time trying to write this up. I'm not going to be able to sell it to you guys, if I cant sell it to myself first.

The fact of the matter is this: For most people that frequent these boards, have been to disney a few times, and know how to use the current system to suit our own touring needs, a new infrastructure system will never be better then some amazing and brand new lands and attractions. I've tried really hard, pulled out all the stops with my imagination, and it just wont cut it. ESPECIALLY knowing that its going to make my touring much harder.

However, I do maintain that our demographic is at best 10% of the overall visiting population, and Disney does not intend to have us jumping up and down with excitement. Their target is the 80% of visitors that really have no idea how to tour disney, and are frequently frustrated when they visit. (I often wonder what the missing 10% is when I talk that we are 10, they are 80.... need to work on my stats.)

So I invite you to sit back, relax, and view my following comments as "not what its going to do for ME" but more like, "whats it going to do for that newb down the street that has never been, or has not been for about 2 or 3 years".

All of my previous posts have mostly been 'whats it going to do for Disney', and why they want it more then putting in new attractions. Are we all agreed that DISNEY THINKS its going to make them a lot of money? I think lots of you believe it wont actually do so, but I have my serious doubts about that assumption. Some seriously gifted people hashed this out over the last several years, and convinced the big D to spend a billion. I know y'all want it to fail, to be canned, whatever, but logically speaking, at least in my mind, that is most likely NOT going to happen. Could, but maybe not likely.

If there is nothing else I am certain about, I will tell you DISNEY thinks this is going to make them a lot of money. There is something else I am pretty certain about, and that is that Disboarders typically dislike change intensly, unless its adding more attractions at Disney (and even then, the complaints dont stop - the new expansion is a cop out, disney cut corners, ect). Even when Disney updates an attraction, the number of threads that pop up saying 'this change sucks' is amazing. I am not trying to get anyones dander up, I just want to point it out. We can be truthful to ourselves, right?

Speaking about being truthful to ourselves, I should say I am a pretty mellow person. Laid back mostly. I spent 2 days back in March at the big D, and managed to check out the MK and the new expansion. And, I very much enjoyed it. I thought the theming was good, and was impressed by Gastons tavern. I thought the VOTLM was good, a typical Disney ride, but not mind blowing. (Yes, the roof in the "under the sea' room was wierd and badly done, but on a whole, pretty good.) But then I dont find Winnie the pooh mind blowing either. I just like the emmersion into the 'magic', the fine details
that are typically a disney standard. I never even got to Raphunzels bathroom, to my everlasting regret. Anyways, its the emersion of 'magic' that I really love about Disney, and that is what I want to talk about. How this new system could bump it up to a whole new level. Now, if you thought the new area was terrible, and that it sucked, then you need to know that my standard is a lot lower then yours, or at least different. What I have to say will most likely be of no interest to you.

And, another side note: I do find the HP Que mind blowing, and the attraction amazing. If disney added 2 or 3 more of these type attractions at the parks, I cant argue that this infrastructure is better. I cant. But, I can argue that joe vacationer will be amazed and impressed by the new infrastructure, and will have a better vacation because of it. So thats all I am going to try to do, try and get you to see what Joe Vacationer may get out of the system..

That said, I am going to ask you to set aside your point of perspective, close your eyes,and envision this from a totally different point of view, the disney newb (come on robo, you can do it!).

Stretch out with your feelings luke......

First off, you have to do a couple of things.
1) View this from the perspective of the average Disney goer, not someone who has been to Disney 10 times in the last year, or even 10 times over the last 10 years. Someone who has a family of 4, with 2kids that are say 6 and 10 (I have no idea if this is a common demographic, but just play along, you are all now sporting a family of 4)

2)Then, you have to imagine the IT Utopia, where there are no glitches, no complications, nothing that will stop the computer system from doing exactly what its capable of doing. (keep your eyes closed doconeill.....)

3)Also, imagine if you will, that 80% or more of all Disney goers are not only happily buying their tickets in advance, but filling in fun little interactive forms so Disney can send them their perfect itinerary day, does not matter if they are off site or onsite, everyone who wants to be on board gets on board.

I know, I know, its hard to swallow. Close your eyes again, and try harder.
(I heard you swear at me.)

Now what I imagine could be in the realm of possibility: I imagine a system that purchasing your disney ticket will be a lot like doing your cruise documents, a couple of fun and interactive pages, where you only have to fill in minimum information, Disney characters and short video clips encourage you along the way when you are filling it in, and there are several easy options that could be preselected. (goofy is telling you that your 6 year old is going to love barnstormer ,see he is pointing to it!)

OK, This trip document needs to be filled 60 days in advance (or more) and you get maybe a ticket price discount if you fill it in by a certain date. Minnie emplores you "lets save some cheese Mom2rtk! in her squeaky little annoying voice) There will also be simple options like premade plans, or advance search options where you can detail your itinerary.

The non planners are not actually planning, they are just clicking on boxes, which parks do you want to go too. which characters would you like to meet, do you want to sleep in or start early, ect, ect. 15 minutes tops. And, its phased like the disney cruise document so you can do a single section at a time, walk away from it, come back when you want. You can change your plan as much as you want, up to, say 1 week before you leave on your trip.
Then, in the mail, comes your lovely magic band bracelets. Tiny tim, your son, has a pirate one, little nell, your daughter has a Cindy one, your Darling wife has Cruella, and you choose to be GRUMPY. Before you leave for your trip, either you or your TA print out your itinerary. Off you go to Disney World

Part 2 to follow
Please hold all tomatos until I finish, I realize I am putting myself out there.

omg, I cant believe I am going to push the post button.
Better than television! can't wait for part 2. Oh those bands will be a sensation. No doubt. I can see the people at work who are excited about going to do Disney rave about this scenario so far.

I am glad you pushed the send button.

This would be a great start to a new thread. Copy and paste it over? I would like to hear from the dreamers for awhile, maybe us 10% are missing something. Sammie is 100% sure it is going to be great. NikkiBell is super optimistic. I would like to hear more reasons why people think it would be great other than simply saying "Whatever Disney does is awesome and I can't wait to try it."

Rileygirl, you are really giving the first rational proposal of how it could be good for others.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1100
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #1101
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Wow Rileygirl. Now I really am
agavegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #1102
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #1103
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

When you think about 80% of those people checking off the little boxes you have to assume that none of them will just toss all of those papers to the side and none of them will book offsite (or even room only onsite) and just show up. How many casual visitors plan now and how many will once FP+ is implemented?

Also the Utopian concept of good IT is something I'm having trouble seeing.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #1104
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
Wow Rileygirl. Now I really am
Me too. Very nice posts, and very well thought out.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #1105
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
When you think about 80% of those people checking off the little boxes you have to assume that none of them will just toss all of those papers to the side and none of them will book offsite (or even room only onsite) and just show up. How many casual visitors plan now and how many will once FP+ is implemented?

You are not the person to start the new thread!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #1106
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

I'm a natural cynic (you may ask why I even go to disney, but that's for another thread.)

I just see all that magic happening, with the personalised stuff (that I personally wouldn't have cared about even as a first time guest, but I digress) and that small novelty and goodwill vanishing if it affects standby or other aspects of service.

They get to the parks, use their pre planned fastpass and then decide to go one of the mountains for example while they wait for their second fastpass to come up, not knowing that it is among the most hilariously booked out fastpass (by vets) since they took up disneys offer of a fastpass for stitch that morning instead. "1hour 45 minutes? That can't be right, we only waited 10 minutes in that fastpass line earlier and standby was only 15 minutes there anyway, surely the standby line for this can't be that long." But uh oh, they have had sold out all the fastpasses and they had a sudden rush as a tour group with 100 fastpasses turned up at once along with a number of other guests.

1hour 30 minutes into the standby line, your wife wants to kill tiny tim because he just won't shut up, you feel a migraine coming on, and the line is moving slower than molasses whilst hundreds of pre booked fastpass users get on the ride to every hundred or so standby. Things are looking bleak.

After finally getting to ride, you come off hot, grouchy, and annoyed. Memories of that five or ten minute wait earlier that morning are fading fast.

No problem you say, let's get something to eat and chill out. Since when you were booking fastpasses disney didn't have any available for popular places like le cellier because you didn't want to book six months in advance, it was too complicated for you, or you just didn't really notice, you look for counter service places. Even if you couldn't get a fastpass for them as all the decent timeslots were snapped up within 30 minutes of them becoming available two months ago while you we're sleeping, you decide to just turn up, after all it is counter service. That sounds informal, like a fast food place. Surely fastpasses won't be needed there to get served in a reasonable time.

Well, after you show up at the end of that loooong line of people waiting to order, as fastpass guests once again walk straight past and even get their food well before you are in sight of the counter, your anger rises. You decide to send your wife to ask if you can get a table to eat at when you finally order. Sorry sir, replies the CM, we only have half our tables for non fastpass users, and they are all full right now because of the lunch rush. You'll have to wait till those in standby ahead of you waiting to order get a table. Or you can try again later...

You grit your teeth and decide you have to go since that second fastpass time is coming up in half an hour, too short a time for this line, and this time its for another of the mountains, something you were very happy to get. However, since this is still a heavily fastpassed ride, and it has been over subscribed, a backlog has built up and the wait time for that fastpass line alone is 25 minutes, even with skewed ratios of fastpass to standby guests riding it.

You grumble under your breath, but decide to ride anyway. You only wait 20 minutes, fantastic! You think... Then you get off and your daughter says "daddy, that was fantastic! I want to ride it again!" You turn your eyes to that standby time... It has grown considerably, especially since you first saw it that morning, as few standby guests are being let through it seems to your eyes.

With a heavy heart, you tell your daughter that no, you can't ride it again since you have another fastpass coming up in a couple of hours, over the other side of the park, and you can't afford to wait here in standby. She doesn't understand. She gets upset. You, tired and cranky from those standby lines, break down and start yelling.

That's it, time to go back to the resort and get some time in the pool. You arrive back at the resort, and make your way to the pool, glad to lie down on a lounger and let the kids unwind, and give yourself a break. You've completely forgotten about that third fastpass, if anything you are angry you couldn't do half the things you wanted because other fastpass users were so numerous they made standby grow longer and longer as larger amounts of fastpass users were let through. You forgot you had to ride standby when you didn't have a fastpass... Who knew all those 12-1pm fastpass slot reservations would turn up at the start of that hour and not the end? Disney sure didn't, that's for certain.

You thought disney was helping you get ahead, and forget about stressing over getting one of these precious reserved spots. But you realise, those other people also reserved spots, and when you didn't have one, they did. So much for getting more done you think. This will be the last time you go back, universal gives unlimited front of the line access to its parks if you stay onsite, or so that guy at work said. Even if you can't stay onsite, he never mentioned having to book the fast food places in advance, and there won't be as many people using that front of the line stuff, they only have a couple of hotels... Next year you'll try that instead.

A very worst case scenario I admit, but if something goes wrong or this doesn't work as well at crowd control, they give away the wrong amount of fastpasses etc, this could still happen as often as it does now.

My battery is 1%. So g'night till tomorrow!
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #1107
strawberrylilacs
Earning My Ears

We hope at our house that Rileygirl isn't done for the night because we hate going to bed with only half a great, fun story read. (As my granddaughter said, hopefully,"She could still be typing.")

LOL my granddaughter just said "I told you she was still typing!" LOL thanks for the posts!
strawberrylilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #1108
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post

This! I've mentioned before that I own a dance studio. Several times a year very important notes are sent home with students and many of these parents will be email the same info. So many of them will come in and ask questions about info that was just sent home the week before or miss order dates for items and I will have to call them to remind them. Rileygirl's post sounds like a terific and if it worked like that for everyone, then the word of mouth would be a great thing for Disney. But she has more faith in people than I do! I work with the public and I know how hard it is to get those people to do the simple things they should do. Also, the off site guest will miss many of these cool experiences. Still need something to draw those guest in Rileygirl! You haven't done anything else today so get right on it!
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #1109
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #1110
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: