Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #1081
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Actually the "more money" argument has far less to do with the fewer lines and far more to do with the data mining the Magic Bands supposedly will give Disney. The whole idea is to get to know your customers better and have an open line with them for targeted advertising.

Crowd control and the "shorter" lines are just a byproduct of what Disney has invested its money in.
Then this whole idea is even worse than it seemed before - if it is purely so WDW can play Big Brother, track your every move and then "mine the data" for marketing strategies to try and up sell their guests. In the mean time a big chunk money that could have been spent on things their guests could see and get excited about is being spent on a complicated high tech system, that appears that it will substantially alter how their guests currently tour, and not necessarily in a good way, while not offering them anything new wrt attractions. Doesn't seem too smart, especially since over at Universal there is word of a bunch of new stuff coming. Sounds like a great way to actually put people off.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF

Last edited by maiapapaya; 05-26-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: making my post make more sense by quoting the right comment!
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #1082
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Then this whole idea is even worse than it seemed before - if it is purely so WDW can play Big Brother, track your every move and then "mine the data" for marketing strategies to try and up sell their guests. In the mean time a big chunk money that could have been spent on things their guests could see and get excited about is being spent on a complicated high tech system, that appears that it will substantially alter how their guests currently tour, and not necessarily in a good way, while not offering them anything new wrt attractions. Doesn't seem too smart, especially since over at Universal there is word of a bunch of new stuff coming. Sounds like a great way to actually put people off.
The above is the Reader's Digest version of this whole 1080-post thread.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #1083
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

I have read every post on this thread (and the ones merged in). I am fascinated! I am not an IT person but I am a "bean counter" so it has been very educational to me. Just a couple of points and I'll go back to

I have seen ads featuring "New Fantasyland" on TV. They don't seem to appeal to anyone but little girls.

I go to Orlando every four years. I went once to Disney only, once to US/IOA only (before WWHP) and once to both with a split stay. My next trip is also a split stay but instead of 6 nights @ Disney and 4 nights @ Universal on site, it will be 4 nights Disney @ a Value instead of Deluxe, 2 nights Sea World Area resort and 4 nights @ Universal.

Even only going every four years, the addition of a mild roller coaster such as the Mine Train and some new theming in Fantasyland is not enough to warrant more than a day in each park doing my faves. Now, take away my ability to FP my favorites? How about 2 days at Disney and add a couple of days at Busch Gardens or Kennedy Space or whatever.

Thanks for listening. Carry on.

Last edited by agavegirl1; 05-26-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
agavegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #1084
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
I have read every post on this thread (and the ones merged in). I am fascinated! I am not an IT person but I am a "bean counter" so it has been very educational to me. Just a couple of points and I'll go back to

I have seen ads featuring "New Fantasyland" on TV. They don't seem to appeal to anyone but little girls.

I go to Orlando every four years. I went once to Disney only, once to US/IOA only (before WWHP) and once to both with a split stay. My next trip is also a split stay but instead of 6 nights @ Disney and 4 nights @ Universal on site, it will be 4 nights Disney @ a Value instead of Deluxe, 2 nights Sea World Area resort and 4 nights @ Universal.

Even only going every four years, the addition of a mild roller coaster such as the Mine Train and some new theming in Fantasyland is not enough to warrant more than a day in each park doing my faves. Now, take away my ability to FP my favorites? How about 2 days at Disney and add a couple of days at Busch Gardens or Kennedy Space or whatever.

Yup. Reasons I would go next year, are universal and Harry potter and sea world and Antarctica. We said in 09 that we would only go back once things change a little more. Other parks have done this, disney haven't changed all that much tbh. Now they are changing the wrong thing. I think your story might become more and more common.

And yes robo, that is the correct question and that readers digest post is worth laminating and mailing to disney hq. I say we pay for a copy each, and ill stump up for a clown to ride through the offices on a unicycle with a "release more information" sign. They can't ignore that surely

Also, 1080 posts? Wow! Though I think at least 150-200 of my posts have been in some version of a fp thread lol!

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #1085
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
What we need is some "surprise and delight" thrown in. Maybe the MagicBand All Star A Capella group can tip the scales.

Seriously though I agree with Robo's assessment. Maiapapaya's post is the perfect abstract for this study.

Unless Rileygirl's next post can refute. Looking forward to it.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #1086
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Assuming it actually makes lines shorter of course. I've heard bad things about the fp plus test at HM for example.
Well, if they actually read these boards, they would have known this already. I've only complained about what FP+ did to ETWB about a million times.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #1087
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
And yes robo, that is the correct question and that readers digest post is worth laminating and mailing to disney hq. I say we pay for a copy each, and ill stump up for a clown to ride through the offices on a unicycle with a "release more information" sign. They can't ignore that surely
Well thanks, glad I'm not the only one who thinks this should be painfully obvious to TPTB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post

I'm thinking maybe you should be one of the WDW "bean counters", you seem to get it a lot better than they do! The FLE is nice, but definitely not "knock your socks off"! WDW really needs an in infusion of that! (esp. at HS & Epcot ~ and Lord, please, no "Avatar Land"! shudder)

1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
Old 05-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #1088
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Then this whole idea is even worse than it seemed before - if it is purely so WDW can play Big Brother, track your every move and then "mine the data" for marketing strategies to try and up sell their guests.
....... and Walgreens didn't develop their rewards card just so I could stop clipping coupons.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #1089
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
....... and Walgreens didn't develop their rewards card just so I could stop clipping coupons.
Yes, but Walgreens probably didn't spend millions of dollars on developing and implementing that card while potentially disrupting the way that you like to do your shopping ...

Old 05-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #1090
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, but Walgreens probably didn't spend millions of dollars on developing and implementing that card while potentially disrupting the way that you like to do your shopping ...
Well, there's that.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #1091
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Actually the analogy here is more like if you had been using five coupons a week Walgreens gets a card system to 'help all customers get discounts' then cuts you down to two coupons max but don't worry, its a special coupon now because you can use the card to get it in advance of other people

Other Trips :

Old 05-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #1092
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Barry

You know what I think? I think that you should splurge, and take your dad to a meet an imagineer dinner on your upcoming father son trip. In fact, maybe schedule a couple.

Missyrose has probably shared everything I would learn about next gen. I am sure we would enjoy the lunch though - my dad would not like the price (even if I paid!)
Old 05-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #1093
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

So I have been pretty much staying out of these conversations for awhile because they seem to get snarky really fast, and it is the same points made a million times a million different ways - but here I go: After looking at "My Disney Experience" briefly in January, I didn't go to it again because it couldn't find any of my reservations anyway. I was also afraid it would somehow put us in the Magic Band category against our will, I signed in to DVC yesterday to do our online check in for July. The first thing that happened, is it defaulted to the "my Disney experience" page so I had to register. Then I got checked in okay - but when I tried to sign my son's fam in, it just kept defaulting back to DH and I, even though I had used their ressie number. So I had to call Member services and she said this was a known issue, and gave me another website to check them in on.

I'm thinking they really haven't made any progress in fixing the issues since I tried to link my ADRs in January. I'm personally happy about it at this point - we are 45 days away and we want one more trip with our Fastpasses.
MAGICFOR2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #1094
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
So I have been pretty much staying out of these conversations for awhile because they seem to get snarky really fast, and it is the same points made a million times a million different ways - but here I go: After looking at "My Disney Experience" briefly in January, I didn't go to it again because it couldn't find any of my reservations anyway. I was also afraid it would somehow put us in the Magic Band category against our will, I signed in to DVC yesterday to do our online check in for July. The first thing that happened, is it defaulted to the "my Disney experience" page so I had to register. Then I got checked in okay - but when I tried to sign my son's fam in, it just kept defaulting back to DH and I, even though I had used their ressie number. So I had to call Member services and she said this was a known issue, and gave me another website to check them in on.

I'm thinking they really haven't made any progress in fixing the issues since I tried to link my ADRs in January. I'm personally happy about it at this point - we are 45 days away and we want one more trip with our Fastpasses.
Well that's not very encouraging...

Other Trips :

Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #1095
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post

Hi Tammie.

I am having the same issues with all the websites too. I did discover something interesting yesterday though...

I don't think this is off topic, because it relates to the whole website issue.

If I log into My Disney Experience with my email and password, I can see my DVC reservations for June and October. But NONE of my dining reservations.

But when I logged into my DVC account, I had to link my accounts. I had to call to get my linking code and everything worked well. My ESPN account and my DVC account and MDE accounts were linked. Or I thought so. All of my linked accounts don't use my email, they use a username and password.

So when I log into MDE with my username and password, my dining reservations show up, but not my room reservations. If I use my email, just room reservations.

So here is where it gets crazy... When I log into MDE with my email. I can see my room reservations (no dining). I can then book an ADR in that email account. And then it will disappear and will only show up in my linked account I can't get both to show up at the same time.

If I go to my iPad and use the app - it is like playing roulette. I never know what to expect. Luckily everything is still there...somewhere. I have printouts.

So back to your point. Not much has changed since January with the online services.

I have completely given up on the shared account and adding all the people to the dining reservations.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: