Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #1066
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

fp+ and Kiosks :Its perplexing.

Notice I am totally ignoring all posts that talk about the terrible track record of Disney and their IT team. Because it is true and a reality right now. All of my posts and hypothoses have been based on the fact that 1)Disney can fix their IT problems that they are currently having and 2)Make the whole system 10 times more complicated then it already is, and run it flawlessly.

My only possible response is, if Disney spent that wad of cash doing it, they must at least THINK they can pull it off. If they can't, it puts them years behind Universal. It will cost them business. If they can pull it off, they can blow it out of the water.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #1067
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
If they can pull it off, they can blow it out of the water.
I just don't see that.

Disney can't touch Universal's stay-onsite-get-front-of-the-line-pass, no matter what they do.

And, offering a paltry few (1-3 per day) advance FP's to "everybody" means that "NOT everybody" will get a fabulous advance FP for a fabulous attraction, every fabulous day, at every fabulous park.

Even if everything WORKS for Disney on this, it's just not "all that" fabulous.

It leaves much of the day exactly the same line-waiting experience as now (at best)
and a great many slower queues for many guests (at worst.)

Last edited by Robo; 05-26-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #1068
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
This is one of THE principle issues.

They had zero idea if a new FastPass technology would or would not make them money.
Huge classic business GAMBLE.

From the other end, building out new attractions (especially proven winners like Carsland,) and rides associated with other major Disney (and new Disney acquisition) tie-ins, would have been a 90%+ sure-thing, easy to market, no explanations needed, "money pouring in," HIT!

I just don't get it.
Kind of makes you wonder if TPTB really do read the forums & boards as much as people think. I don't recall reading too many threads about "hey wouldn't it be great if WDW launched some new high tech ticket technology?!" What do ppl post about wrt Disney improving things for guests? Bringing back the old high standards that seem to have slipped (including food standards wrt variety, quality etc), great new attractions (and there have been some fantastic suggestions floated around here), revamping the aged stuff (monorail, Epcot, etc).

Quote:
fp+ and Kiosks :Its perplexing.

Notice I am totally ignoring all posts that talk about the terrible track record of Disney and their IT team. Because it is true and a reality right now. All of my posts and hypothoses have been based on the fact that 1)Disney can fix their IT problems that they are currently having and 2)Make the whole system 10 times more complicated then it already is, and run it flawlessly.

My only possible response is, if Disney spent that wad of cash doing it, they must at least THINK they can pull it off. If they can't, it puts them years behind Universal. It will cost them business. If they can pull it off, they can blow it out of the water.
Even IF they can pull it off I really wonder if it will be the win over Universal that they think. Would the novelty wear off? Would ppl who've never visited be swayed by the new system (vs. the new offerings reportedly coming to Universal) or the soft WDW visitors who might go elsewhere (because they aren't die hard Disney fans) or repeat Disney visitors who would have rather seen money spent elsewhere? (eg "it's the same old attractions at WDW, but I got this cool new bracelet, even though I only got one E-ticket FP ...") High tech gadgetry vs. quality product and attractions? I know what wins in my mind over the long run.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #1069
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If they can pull it off, they can blow it out of the water.
I don't know if I totally agree with this. It is rides and attractions that draw people in. It may in fact get the ones that are already there to be happier and spend more money. But I'm not sure I buy the idea that a mom and dad are sitting at home thinking of their kid's likes, planning their vacation will go....well, junior loves thrill rides but lets go to Disney instead of Universal because we can prebook 3 FP+s. And with that flex ticket, they can do the thrill rides for even cheaper.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #1070
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

I have a very long post coming how I can see it being state of the art, blow your pants off type deal for the 80%, using just what we know about the system now. It wont be done for a few hours, the kids are hungry, and I cant possibly feed them chicken nuggets again.

~A
Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #1071
Robo

Quote:
I have a very long post coming how I can see it being state of the art, blow your pants off type deal for the 80%, using just what we know about the system now. It wont be done for a few hours, the kids are hungry, and I cant possibly feed them chicken nuggets again.

~A
Remember...
"UNDER-Promise/OVER-Deliver" can apply to posts on this board, too.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #1072
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

It sure won't pull me away from Universal. I would have been much more blown away by several great new rides, but that's just me.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #1073
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Even if everything WORKS for Disney on this, it's just not "all that" fabulous.

Yep. Therein lies the problem.

Quote:
I cant possibly feed them chicken nuggets again.

~A
You really need to get your priorities straight. I bet your kids are willing to take one for the team. Well, mine would be. But then mine have tasted my non-chicken nugget cooking.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #1074
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
It sure won't pull me away from Universal. I would have been much more blown away by several great new rides, but that's just me.
No, it isn't.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #1075
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post

No, it isn't.
Yup.

This isn't even convincing me I want to go back, im at a wait and see stage. Wait and see. For disney. I'd have thought they'd have to try very hard to create a policy that would make me have second thoughts about going back before I saw it implemented and the results, but they pulled it off.

Even if it works or just doesn't affect me if I don't use it, it's still wouldn't convince me to spend any less time at universal than I would have.

All those Harry potter ads are wreaking havoc. I've seen a few floating about the Internet (universal studios, seaworld and the flexi ticket parks in general seem far more adept at Internet advertising if you ask me). Disney meanwhile are silent on new developments. Only disney adverts I've seen recently are the same old ones from before. Biiiiig mistake.

I'm fairly sure they are the exact same ads from last season on tv here.

New rides are 100% positive. Seriously. Even if this new system is 80% positive, that chance for bad press still nags at me, and I'm not even an executive. This might have been an occasion where choosing the safer option (new area, new attractions) but trying to spice it up within those safe boundaries would have been wiser. I can't believe the accountants signed off on this massive investment.

Those imagineers or whoever dreamed this up must be very persuasive.

"More money!"
"You're sure this will bring in more money? Why?"
"Because they won't be in lines, so they will spend money! It's a sure thing and everyone will love it! Tom staggs kids were in here whining about long lines just the other day!"
"A sure thing hmm? Ummmm... Okay. Will it be simple?"
"Uhhhh... Sure. No problem. I think."

Speaking of IT, the dis servers just conked out on me... I had to log out and in again... Maybe its a sign?

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-26-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #1076
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
"More money!"
"You're sure this will bring in more money? Why?"
"Because they won't be in lines, so they will spend money! It's a sure thing and everyone will love it! Tom staggs kids were in here whining about long lines just the other day!"
"A sure thing hmm? Ummmm... Okay. Will it be simple?"
"Uhhhh... Sure. No problem. I think."
Actually the "more money" argument has far less to do with the fewer lines and far more to do with the data mining the Magic Bands supposedly will give Disney. The whole idea is to get to know your customers better and have an open line with them for targeted advertising.

Crowd control and the "shorter" lines are just a byproduct of what Disney has invested its money in.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #1077
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

Actually the "more money" argument has far less to do with the fewer lines and far more to do with the data mining the Magic Bands supposedly will give Disney. The whole idea is to get to know your customers better and have an open line with them for targeted advertising.

Crowd control and the "shorter" lines are just a byproduct of what Disney has invested its money in.
Assuming it actually makes lines shorter of course. I've heard bad things about the fp plus test at HM for example.

Other Trips :

Old 05-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #1078
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Assuming it actually makes lines shorter of course. I've heard bad things about the fp plus test at HM for example.
Hence the quotation marks. But yes, common sense would indicate that adding a line of people to queues that are fairly continually loading currently will do nothing but slow down the flow.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #1079
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

Hence the quotation marks. But yes, common sense would indicate that adding a line of people to queues that are fairly continually loading currently will do nothing but slow down the flow.
And yet disney did it anyway... Makes you wonder if they have some secret information no one else can figure out.

Is the meaning of life planning rides in advance? I thought it was 42.

Other Trips :

Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #1080
Robo

Quote:
Is the meaning of life planning rides in advance? I thought it was 42.
That's the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

(I do have my towel.)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: