Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #1051
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #1052
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 765

edited to delete
__________________

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Rileygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #1053
DougEMG
DIS Veteran
 
DougEMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Yes, companies don't always make the wisest decisions in reaction.

Another recent example of this: Take Microsoft. I know most on here don't know the workings of video game consoles, but I'll be brief.

Sony effectively got their rival product into the public eye first, though they didn't give too much away.

In an attempt to react, Microsoft made some poor decisions in retrospect.

Perhaps the key change: They chose to charge people extra to play second hand games on their system.

A compromise, they would get money from that second sale, people would still be able to buy second hand games.

Microsoft execs I imagine sat back and smiled contentedly. Surely this would please everyone, people would get over the extra charge. Well, it all went pear shaped fast. People started saying what if I borrow a game from a friend, I don't like the extra charge, Sony don't do this, and so on... Massive backlash.

Just one example from recent times of a huge company reacting to a competitor and completely misjudging the market. And it involves technology too.. one of the most volatile areas of industry, and the hardest to make plans for the future in.

Disney are taking a massive, and in my opinion dangerous, risk with this. I calculate the chances of it paying off without a hitch are minimal. The most i'm daring to hope for is it not affecting too many people if something doesn't go as it should.
I've got 5 xbox360s and 3 ps3s, so i like video games, but I wont't be upgrading to the new Xbox because of what Microsoft is wanting to do with used games, they've pissed me off enough with their trying to control what I do with their product after I bought and own it that I'm willing to walk away from there product totally.

Now I'm not saying that what Disney is doing with there FP+ will have the same effect, but once it comes out I'll have to re-evaluate between Universal and Disney, where as right now I'm more than happy to stay just at WDW.
__________________



DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #1054
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 765

edited to delete
__________________

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Rileygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #1055
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Regarding the FP Kiosks: what I am understanding that you are saying: they could have made the fp machines do both rfid AND the old paper fast passes, but Disney chose not to.

Is that correct?
There was/is no need to do so.
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #1056
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 765

edited to delete
__________________

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Rileygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #1057
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
What is a strike against this is that they could have added RFID to the existing kiosks without interfering with the current magstripe reader...but they didn't. And given their apparent rush to convert the turnstiles - which they didn't need to do at all as it turns out since there are no MagicBands among the guests yet and the RFID cards could still be read in the old turnstiles - I would have expected them to do likewise to the FP kiosks - but they didn't.
I read it as just a "reckless rush" into installing new RFID hardware before they needed to do so.

(Possible fiscal budget-related expenditures? )
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #1058
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,448

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
I've got 5 xbox360s and 3 ps3s, so i like video games, but I wont't be upgrading to the new Xbox because of what Microsoft is wanting to do with used games, they've pissed me off enough with their trying to control what I do with their product after I bought and own it that I'm willing to walk away from there product totally.

Now I'm not saying that what Disney is doing with there FP+ will have the same effect, but once it comes out I'll have to re-evaluate between Universal and Disney, where as right now I'm more than happy to stay just at WDW.
This is such a big gamble for Disney. I'm sure as the imagineers sat around planning it sounded great ... hey we can combine everything into these RDIF bands, tickets, FP, payment ... people will be able to book their FP's, personalize and decorate them ... it'll be so awesome!! ... The PTB bought it, because it sounds so cutting edge and who doesn't love the latest & greatest tech toys? The problem seems to be with the reality of the implementation, all the unanswered questions that should have been ironed out up front. Now they're in a bit of a bind. They've announced this great new technology, invested in it and now reality is probably hitting them in the face. It's either going to take a lot longer to roll out than initially thought or they're going to have to just drop it (unlikely with $$ already sunk into it & to save face). As mentioned earlier, unfortunately it will result in a roll out before the bugs are all ironed out (more so than you would normally expect with new technology) and it's going to be a mess for quite a while. Potentially a big PR nightmare. If they get it right, and it all goes smoothly, huge PR win. Unfortunately I don't think that is ever going to happen. Should've just sunk their money into doing what they do best ... bringing back the former impeccable Disney standards, fixing their aging infrastructure (ie. the monorail) and focus on some mind-blowing new attractions (that Monsters Inc coaster that has never materialized, Star Wars Land, Cars Land east ...)
__________________

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #1059
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Doconeill

You are right about Avatar, I stand corrected.

Regarding the FP Kiosks: what I am understanding that you are saying: they could have made the fp machines do both rfid AND the old paper fast passes, but Disney chose not to.

Is that correct?
Yes. If they thought there was going to be lots of overlap, and/or intended to reuse the kiosks for simple RFID swiping for the nearest available time (ala the current system), I would have expected for them to have made them compatible already.

If they were intending to swap them out for "full featured" Fastpass+ kiosks, I would have expected at least a few to have been taken offline and swapped, perhaps at the lesser-used attractions, and just remain covered. Or a few added at the "newer" FP+ attractions like HM and POTC. Just to have them at the ready. Rule #1 - don't wait until the last second when you've got the time now.

It doesn't appear as if any of that has happened. The only kiosks so far appear to be CM-manned kiosks, which also goes along with what MonorailLime I believe said - kiosks will be CM manned, and not guest-operable, in the parks.

That's just the way it appears to be at this point.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA


Last edited by doconeill; 05-26-2013 at 03:08 PM.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #1060
littleacceb
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
This is so not how I want to go on vacation... oy vey.

I'm only half kidding there
Print to pdf = stored on smartphone, which I carry in my pocket everywhere anyway. If needed, you can pull it out. No skin off my nose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Of course it can. Any CM making a response can make a mistake, and a mistake doesn't have to be honored.
I'm sorry - I don't think I phrased it correctly. I'm not saying that it's a contract or anything. What I'm saying is that you're not standing there like a numpty going "I swear that's what they said..." while they shake their heads. You don't want feel like one of those "but I was told I'd get free stuff cuz it's my birthday!" guests that I'm sure CMs despair of.

If they accept that a mistake has been made, that is the first step to fixing and/or apologising for a problem, and in my experience, Disney has always either honoured the promise if it is practical to do so, or apologised profusely and offered an alternative if it is not.
littleacceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #1061
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Should've just sunk their money into doing what they do best ... bringing back the former impeccable Disney standards, fixing their aging infrastructure (ie. the monorail) and focus on some mind-blowing new attractions (that Monsters Inc coaster that has never materialized, Star Wars Land, Cars Land east ...)
This is one of THE principle issues.

They had zero idea if a new FastPass technology would or would not make them money.
Huge classic business GAMBLE.

From the other end, building out new attractions (especially proven winners like Carsland,) and rides associated with other major Disney (and new Disney acquisition) tie-ins, would have been a 90%+ sure-thing, easy to market, no explanations needed, "money pouring in," HIT!

I just don't get it.
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #1062
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 765

edited to delete
__________________

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Rileygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #1063
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran
 
Squidgyness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NE United Kingdom
Posts: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
This is such a big gamble for Disney. I'm sure as the imagineers sat around planning it sounded great ... hey we can combine everything into these RDIF bands, tickets, FP, payment ... people will be able to book their FP's, personalize and decorate them ... it'll be so awesome!! ... The PTB bought it, because it sounds so cutting edge and who doesn't love the latest & greatest tech toys? The problem seems to be with the reality of the implementation, all the unanswered questions that should have been ironed out up front. Now they're in a bit of a bind. They've announced this great new technology, invested in it and now reality is probably hitting them in the face. It's either going to take a lot longer to roll out than initially thought or they're going to have to just drop it (unlikely with $$ already sunk into it & to save face). As mentioned earlier, unfortunately it will result in a roll out before the bugs are all ironed out (more so than you would normally expect with new technology) and it's going to be a mess for quite a while. Potentially a big PR nightmare. If they get it right, and it all goes smoothly, huge PR win. Unfortunately I don't think that is ever going to happen. Should've just sunk their money into doing what they do best ... bringing back the former impeccable Disney standards, fixing their aging infrastructure (ie. the monorail) and focus on some mind-blowing new attractions (that Monsters Inc coaster that has never materialized, Star Wars Land, Cars Land east ...)
Sums everything intrinsically wrong with this step in this direction really.

I could make a list of things I wanted before this and we'd be here for a while. Reality bites makes a lot of sense to me.

"Guys... tests say standby lines at HM were longer than we thought they'd be"

"Guys, guests are saying that three fastpasses are great but they wanted more, and they wanted more than one a ride a day... how can we implement this?"

"Guys, the app and wifi are a little spotty, what can we do to fix them?"

"Guys, what's the deadline again... oh crap!"
__________________
Orlando Trips :
1996, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #1064
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Regarding Kiosks

Perhaps a reason that Disney has not already retrofitted the fp machines is because they dont want them 2 have dual purpose, it would add confusion to the guest trying either to get a fp, or fp+.

They will be either an old fp machine, or the fancier new one with a touch screen. As people get switched over to the 'new' system, they simply keep taking old fp kiosks away, and changing them to the new one. By changing the ratio of old to new, they can use this as a bit of carrot and stick. Long line for the 2 old fp machines, or short line for the new fancy ones.

What I am imagining is something that just slides in, and has some sort of touchscreen window, so people can select more fp+, or change their existing ones. the FP machines already come with a printer, so no need for golf pencils and scribble paper.

And this could literally happen over night, if it was just a 'slide' in thing.

Is that possible doconeill?
Adding printers is possible.
How easily that can be done depends on what kind of hardware and connections they designed into the touch-point Mickey Heads.

Physically, I don't think they would be able "slide" anything in to the current touch-point devices.
Adding a screen and printer adjacent to the touch-points would be possible, but less than "sleek-looking,"
as to be practical, they would have to large enough to contain enough paper of some kind (heat-print?) to not need
refills multiple times per day.
__________________
.


.

Last edited by Robo; 05-26-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #1065
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Regarding Kiosks

Perhaps a reason that Disney has not already retrofitted the fp machines is because they dont want them 2 have dual purpose, it would add confusion to the guest trying either to get a fp, or fp+.

They will be either an old fp machine, or the fancier new one with a touch screen. As people get switched over to the 'new' system, they simply keep taking old fp kiosks away, and changing them to the new one. By changing the ratio of old to new, they can use this as a bit of carrot and stick. Long line for the 2 old fp machines, or short line for the new fancy ones.

What I am imagining is something that just slides in, and has some sort of touchscreen window, so people can select more fp+, or change their existing ones. the FP machines already come with a printer, so no need for golf pencils and scribble paper.

And this could literally happen over night, if it was just a 'slide' in thing.

Is that possible doconeill?
Possible yes. But I doubt that they are just "slide in" replacements to add a touch screen and everything else. There could be different power requirements, etc. Think about a smartphone - if you've got a power usage feature like the Android phones I've used, the consistently #1 power usage item is usually your screen - even if you don't use it a lot.

And as I said earlier, I would have expected at least a few to be deployed and at the ready, even if not available, but there doesn't appear to be any.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: