Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #946
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

So did Tom Staggs over promise? Here's what he said in the blog linked by Squidgyness:

Quote:
Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park. With MyMagic+, guests will be able to do that and more, enabling them to spend more time together and creating an experience that’s better for everyone.
To me Mr. Staggs at least implies that we will be able to book attractions ending in "mountain". The T&C and testing thus far implies otherwise. I know that this territory has been covered before, but this is the limited information that has been officially provided by Disney.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #947
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
So did Tom Staggs over promise? Here's what he said in the blog linked by Squidgyness:

To me Mr. Staggs at least implies that we will be able to book attractions ending in "mountain". The T&C and testing thus far implies otherwise. I know that this territory has been covered before, but this is the limited information that has been officially provided by Disney.
This is the problem. You'd think disney would realise if they gave out some regular info people would chew on it, write blogs, articles, who knows what. Free publicity!

Either they want more secrecy than many military operations enjoyed, they can't agree on what aims they want, or the execution has gone wrong somewhere. Maybe they think people will react badly... Though it can't be much worse than it is now. I can't see any other explanation.

Maybe they are afraid someone will copy them?

How long has this been in development, because I've heard several years. Surely they'd be farther along by now? People have built theme parks in that time!

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #948
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

I found an interesting blog on testing for Be Our Guest FP. The screen shots show the ability to order prior to arrival. Seems far along in development.

http://fiddledeeme.com/2013/05/be-ou...st-experience/
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #949
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Every person who has posted concerns on this thread and every other thread wants to be wrong. I have 43 years of DVC left. I want that time to be as enjoyable as possible.
I really hope all my concern is unwarranted and all my speculation turns out wrong. I would never have been so happy to be wrong.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #950
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I found an interesting blog on testing for Be Our Guest FP. The screen shots show the ability to order prior to arrival. Seems far along in development.

Alarm bells now ringing in my head... Oh dear. Hope disney don't extend this to all counter service places...

This is getting less and less appealing to me. Non planners getting slowly squeezed out. "Oh but you can opt out or not plan in advance..." Freedom to wait in a huge queue isn't really worthwhile. I hope there will still be some places that don't need planning...

Ugh. Stay positive... Must stay positive, this might only be for BOG.

Other Trips :

Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #951
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quote:

Here is an article about FastPass+ testing for Be Our Guest at Lunch: http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/02...-during-lunch/

I for one like this idea, but they have to have more options. If you can place your order to be ready at a specific time, that would be awesome in my world. I'm a planner. I wonder what percentage of travelers like to have an itinerary that is planned out for most of the day? I appears Disney is investing heavily to get that market.
See, I don't see that as having to plan out my whole day. What I want to be able to do is book a fast pass for Toy Story Midway Mania at a certain time of the day preferably not before noon. And yes, I am a planner way in advance. I already have a color-coded spreadsheet for my July trip marking out basically what we're going to do each day during different blocks of hours. But none of my spreadsheets have ever been 100% what we ended up doing, just a good idea from the start. If for some reason I am able to book FastPast+ for my July trip, which I don't see happening but, if I was I know what day generally I think I'm going to head to Hollywood studios and I would book it for that day. I know that on the second leg of my split stay I'll be going to BLT and those will be my Magic Kingdom days. So one of those days would be a good day to book some of my favorite Magic Kingdom rides. I respect that some people like to wake up in the morning, have no idea which park they want to go to, and then just walk out the door and take the first bus that shows up. Great. However I like to make color-coded spreadsheets way in advance, so I will have no problem booking maybe three rides in advance.

Anyway, three rides isn't my whole day. If done well, it should only be an hour or two! All it does is plan at least one park you will attend on a given day.

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #952
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post

This is the problem. You'd think disney would realise if they gave out some regular info people would chew on it, write blogs, articles, who knows what. Free publicity!

Either they want more secrecy than many military operations enjoyed, they can't agree on what aims they want, or the execution has gone wrong somewhere. Maybe they think people will react badly... Though it can't be much worse than it is now. I can't see any other explanation.

Maybe they are afraid someone will copy them?

How long has this been in development, because I've heard several years. Surely they'd be farther along by now? People have built theme parks in that time!
Has anyone figured out how what percentage of Disney guests regularly post on DISBoards? I am wondering if something like 85% of the Disney guests are people who don't care about fast pass+, don't go on the DISBoards, and just go there to have a good time? Idk...

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #953
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That is a thorough article. I will have to add that to the "what we know" page.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #954
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is a thorough article. I will have to add that to the "what we know" page.
Barry, thanks for keeping that page up to date. I check it fairly frequently!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #955
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post

Has anyone figured out how what percentage of Disney guests regularly post on DISBoards? I am wondering if something like 85% of the Disney guests are people who don't care about fast pass+, don't go on the DISBoards, and just go there to have a good time? Idk...
I wasn't just referring to the disboards.

I just got the new brochures for Florida. No info on fastpass plus yet plenty for the new fantasyland and its planned expansions. Haven't heard many new articles, most are from earlier in the year, the new articles are only what people observe in their limited experience with limited or no official info.

If they don't get newspapers, the Internet, travel companies etc selling this idea, how will they ever get people to take it up for their vacations? Someone my mother knows is going early next summer and another this year, neither have any idea of fastpass or plus. It's going to be one hell of a shock to their system. Disney seem anxious to get people using this on one hand and yet surprisingly secretive on the other.

At this rate they won't be able to start their ad campaign until it launches, slowing down the adoption of fastpass plus significantly. If they got a start on getting some more official info to official sources like newspapers and travel agents, it would at least help to lay the groundwork a little, surely?

Or are they not planning to inform the travel companies till next year? Or this year but just before its due to start? Why? I haven't heard a completely satisfactory answer for withholding information.

Other Trips :

Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #956
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think Mr. Staggs is quite sure that his three boys will always be able to ride the 3 mountains with little or no wait.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #957
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
What I want to be able to do is book a fast pass for Toy Story Midway Mania at a certain time of the day preferably not before noon.
You..... and everybody else.

You have to understand that not everybody owns DVC and gets to visit Disney with the same frequency as you. For someone who visits frequently, popping in and sampling a few things each day can be very satisfying. For someone who might not get back for a few years, surely you can understand their desire to experience the full variety of attractions Disney has to offer.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #958
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
I wasn't just referring to the disboards.

I just got the new brochures for Florida. No info on fastpass plus. Haven't heard many new articles, most are from earlier in the year, the new articles are only what people observe in their limited experience with limited or no official info.

If they don't get newspapers, the Internet, travel companies etc selling this idea, how will they ever get people to take it up for their vacations? Someone my mother knows is going next summer, they have no idea of fastpass plus. It's going to be one hell of a shock to their system. Disney seem anxious to get people using this on one hand and yet surprisingly secretive on the other.

At this rate they won't be able to start their ad campaign until it launches, slowing down the adoption of fastpass plus significantly. If they got a start on getting some official info to official sources like newspapers and travel agents, it would at least help to lay the groundwork a little, surely?

Or are they not planning to inform the travel companies till next year? Or this year but just before its due to start? Why? I haven't heard a completely satisfactory answer for withholding information.
They started the press blitz in January, all the articles and news stories are listed at the link in my signature. Then everything stopped cold. Something bad happen? Oddly enough in March a full story came out in the DVC magazine, like everything was ready to launch. I think that was an oversight on their part. The story on wdwinfo blog about the magic bands is really the closest to official information I have seen.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 05-25-2013 at 08:50 PM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #959
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:

They started the press blitz in January, all the articles and news stories are listed at the link in signature. Then everything stopped cold. Something bad apen? Oddly enough in March a full story came out in the DVC magazine, like everything was ready to launch. I think that was an oversight on their part. The story on DISunplugged about the magic bands is really the closest to official information I have seen.
I've yet to see any explanation I buy for that sudden silence beyond a screw up somewhere. Did they jump the gun?

Other Trips :

Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #960
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:

You can, one Monday, one Wednesday and one Friday.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: