Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #901
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Someone was talking about FP's for Lights Motors Action (possibly the silliest and most risky fp idea yet. "We didn't need FP, all the seats are pretty good!" "What do you mean I need a fastpass to get in early now? I'm here now and I want to go in!"

Doesn't seem like the benefit is worth it to either party. Why not just show up early and get to the front of the standby queue? You'd still get a decent seat and save a fastpass to boot.

Exactly why fastpasses should NOT have been extended beyond rides. It's getting more and more complicated. The premutations are insane, there must be hundreds of possible fastpass reservation arrangements.
Years ago, Disney did have FP's for the popular "show" attractions.
Indy, LMA (DHS,) Mickey's Philharmagic (MK,) HISTA 3D (Epcot) were some of them.

Then, a few years later, they dropped the show FP's.

Now, it looks like they are bringing at least some of them back for FP+ choices.
(Yes, not exactly a "plus" for those who understand how these attractions load.)

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #902
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Years ago, Disney did have FP's for the popular "show" attractions.
Indy, LMA (DHS,) Mickey's Philharmagic (MK,) HISTA 3D (Epcot) were some of them.

Then, a few years later, they dropped the show FP's.

Now, it looks like they are bringing at least some of them back.
Well if that isnt the definition of going backwards I don't know what is.

They aren't needed, otherwise they would have stayed!

Seems they are just there to make up the numbers now. Parades... characters... counter service... shows... what else can we fastpass... I know! Fastpass park entry!

Oh god I hope someone at Disney isn't reading that.

Also, there have been 24 replies to a topic about having no plans at WDW, in just a few hours. On the DIS, a board famous for planning resources and tips. Doesn't bode well for having everyone take part in planning.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #903
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Someone was talking about FP's for Lights Motors Action (possibly the silliest and most risky fp idea yet. "We didn't need FP, all the seats are pretty good!" "What do you mean I need a fastpass to get in early now? I'm here now and I want to go in!"

Doesn't seem like the benefit is worth it to either party. Why not just show up early and get to the front of the standby queue? You'd still get a decent seat and save a fastpass to boot.

Exactly why fastpasses should NOT have been extended beyond rides. It's getting more and more complicated. The premutations are insane, there must be hundreds of possible fastpass reservation arrangements.
What do you think about festival of the lion king and nemo at DAK?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #904
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well if that isnt the definition of going backwards I don't know what is.

They aren't needed, otherwise they would have stayed!

Seems they are just there to make up the numbers now. Parades... characters... counter service... shows... what else can we fastpass... I know! Fastpass park entry!

Oh god I hope someone at Disney isn't reading that.

Also, there have been 24 replies to a topic about having no plans at WDW, in just a few hours. On the DIS, a board famous for planning resources and tips. Doesn't bode well for having everyone take part in planning.
No kidding! . That is the first time someone has suggested that!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #905
BuzzBelleMom
DIS Veteran

This thread is enlightening.

And I really, sincerely, truly hope some people in power in Disney are following along...
Old 05-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #906
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
What do you think about festival of the lion king and nemo at DAK?
I can't strictly speak for them since I don't visit them, but if they take place in an auditorium/theater setting I can't see the benefits of FP outweighing problematic public image damage.

Seems it would be a little more obvious in that situation who is getting the shaft.

In a ride situation, it's "Look they are going in front... oh but the standby line is moving up now. Oh well." (Perhaps slightly exagerrated but people will probably get over it a little when they move up.)
VS
Too many FP/inaccurate forcasting of crowds "Sorry folks, the theatre is full" "If there hadn't been so many people going in ahead we would have gotten in that showing." OR if not neccessary to get a FP "Why did we get this FP? We should have just gotten to the front of the standby queue. The show doesn't start any earlier for us, and we could have gotten a decent seat anyway! We could have gotten a parade FP..."

Much less harder to get over, and much more obvious that you are getting screwed. If they can manage without FP now, I don't see the reason to add it beyond making the numbers up. Which doesnt really help anybody that much, and actually harms others.

Other Trips :

Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #907
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't strictly speak for them since I don't visit them, but if they take place in an auditorium/theater setting I can't see the benefits of FP outweighing problematic public image damage.

Seems it would be a little more obvious in that situation who is getting the shaft.

In a ride situation, it's "Look they are going in front... oh but the standby line is moving up now. Oh well." (Perhaps slightly exagerrated but people will probably get over it a little when they move up.)
VS
"Sorry folks, the theatre is full" "If there hadn't been so many people going in ahead we would have gotten in that showing." OR "Why did we get this FP? We should have just gotten to the front of the standby queue. The show doesn't start any earlier for us!"

Much less harder to get over, and much more obvious that you are getting screwed.
Good points. Also, a feeding frenzy could occur. All festival of the lion king slots could technically book up in advance, and if you want a seat you have to burn a FP+. People will be going online to book at the 60 day mark just like getting that chef Mickey reservation.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #908
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Good points. Also, a feeding frenzy could occur. All festival of the lion king slots could technically book up in advance, and if you want a seat you have to burn a FP+. People will be going online to book at the 60 day mark just like getting that chef Mickey reservation.
It could well end up being the case of a few hurting the many who don't get in.

Not what Disney wants imo. Isn't that one of the problems with the current FP system, the few who know make the lines longer for the majority that don't.

Seems this could just as easily happen under the new system though, unless they give opportunity for the majority to FP, then this has it's own issues that have been discussed.

<Rock> Disney or the Guest <hard place>

Other Trips :

Old 05-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #909
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Jade

It may not make sense for you to waste your fast pass on Illuminations..
I'm really only trying to help, and as you-will work with what's available.

I think they will have the spot in front of SE as the location. We abandoned that spot many years ago, mostly because you had to get in super early to be in front-after that-its just heads, and someone or kids stand up when it starts and the yelling begins etc. Plus after the long wait-sure enough the wind is in our face and it looks crappy, so we move anyway.

Imagine if this was your seat: Compared to the one below. Wouldn't you simply move anyway after all that?

Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #910
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Ah, progress!

Last edited by Robo; 05-25-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #911
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

I've got a good one...FP+ for the bag check line!
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC, 11/15 YC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #912
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Just to add a bit of history...regular use of FP at LMA didn't even make it two years.

It officially opened in May 2005.

We went in July 2006. We got Fastpasses for it then. Still had to wait a while, and it ended up being rained out. Fastpasses were useless because they were tied to the particular show.

In July 2007, we went over early to get Fastpasses, since we still hadn't seen it and didn't want to take a chance (didn't know then about the capacity, etc. and in 2006 it was VERY busy). Got intercepted by a CM on the way asking where we were heading, since nothing over there was really open yet (we were really the first guests over there). We told her, and she said they weren't using FPs, but she asked us to hold on while she disappeared, came back, and we were on the "VIP list". Went back later, got in early, got good center seats. But in the end, it was maybe half full, and there aren't really any bad seats, unless you want the best pictures from center (I got some really good ones).

I'm not even sure they do a "VIP list" any more.

Since then, the machines were RARELY used.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #913
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
I'd say it's probably the exact reason FP+ is being extended beyond the rides. They want so many options that there isn't a concentrated focus on the 10 attractions that most guests would always pick in advance. If they can spread it all out having so many choices maybe most new guests won't notice.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #914
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Just to add a bit of history...regular use of FP at LMA didn't even make it two years.

It officially opened in May 2005.

We went in July 2006. We got Fastpasses for it then. Still had to wait a while, and it ended up being rained out. Fastpasses were useless because they were tied to the particular show.

In July 2007, we went over early to get Fastpasses, since we still hadn't seen it and didn't want to take a chance (didn't know then about the capacity, etc. and in 2006 it was VERY busy). Got intercepted by a CM on the way asking where we were heading, since nothing over there was really open yet (we were really the first guests over there). We told her, and she said they weren't using FPs, but she asked us to hold on while she disappeared, came back, and we were on the "VIP list". Went back later, got in early, got good center seats. But in the end, it was maybe half full, and there aren't really any bad seats, unless you want the best pictures from center (I got some really good ones).

I'm not even sure they do a "VIP list" any more.

Since then, the machines were RARELY used.
Precisely! What would you think if you got a FP to get in early to LMA and realised if you had still turned up 30 mins early (like you did to use that prebooked pass) but this time without a fastpass and had just stood in the standby area you'd have gotten in and gotten a fairly decent seat anway. This is predisposed on them not giving too many seats to FP, but I don't think they will.

I can't imagine them allocating more than 10%, maybe 20% of the seats to FP. Not if they don't want to risk a lot more angry guests who can't get in.

Say a 30% allocation would basically mean you'd have to be there very early in standby and result in a significant number of grouchy guests being left out. Anything much more than 30% would result in a large crowd in effect being told "If only you had booked FP you would have been guaranteed a seat." Result = not pretty, and not a good message to send out.

Do people get left out of shows because they get full now? If they do, toss in FP and you will multiply that number of people.

Silly idea.

Other Trips :

Old 05-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #915
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Precisely! What would you think if you got a FP to get in early to LMA and realised if you had still turned up 30 mins early (like you did to use that prebooked pass) but this time without a fastpass and had just stood in the standby area you'd have gotten in and gotten a fairly decent seat anway. This is predisposed on them not giving too many seats to FP, but I don't think they will.

I can't imagine them allocating more than 10%, maybe 20% of the seats to FP. Not if they don't want to risk a lot more angry guests who can't get in.

Say a 30% allocation would basically mean you'd have to be there very early in standby and result in a significant number of grouchy guests being left out. Anything much more than 30% would result in a large crowd in effect being told "If only you had booked FP you would have been guaranteed a seat." Result = not pretty, and not a good message to send out.

Do people get left out of shows because they get full now? If they do, toss in FP and you will multiply that number of people.

Silly idea.
Honestly, currently I can't imagine not being able to walk up right at show time and not getting a seat. I think they could allocate any number to FP+ and it wouldn't matter.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: