Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #616
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessArlena'sDad View Post
Am I understanding this right?

If staying at a Disney resort: 3 FP+ per day, and maybe same day FP+ in addition (no word either way)

If not staying at a Disney resort: only same day FP (either virtual or paper, I guess), with same limitations as now (every two hours, etc). Of course, availability will depend upon what is taken by resort guests using FP+. Which could mean no TSM FP for non-resort guests, at all.

Also, when he says for resort guests only: does he mean initially for resort guests only, and then later for all guests (like we've heard in past), or for resort guests only, forever?
The requirement of having a resort reservation keeps popping up from people I trust. But there is absolutely nothing in any of the information from Disney. There are strong indications that ticket type could be a limitation (like must purchase at full price from Disney seems to be lurking in the Paperwork), but this concept of staying on site at a resort gives you an advantage is not in any conditions or interviews. Yet it still pops up.

Once again, if Disney intends for additional FP+ the day of after the three prebooked, they are intentionally keeping that a secret and intentionally not leaking it. If Pete has trusted inside information, and he knows that is a big controversy - he said nothing to address it. If it was going to happen, he would have had the DIS scoop of the year.

What do others think. Start watching at the 29:00 minute mark.

As for TSMM. It will be popular to prebook. But, people will only be able to book it one time. Disney could open 15,000 FP a day with an average attendance of 25,000 . If TSMM is tiered with RnR and Fantasmic and you only get to choose 1 in that group, then most likely everyone who comes to the park will get to choose a fastpass for TSMM that really wants one. The problem will be time slots, which will feed the frenzy, and the choice times could easily book up months in advance.

TSMM is the extreme, I would imagine most rides will be available the day of for those guests who haven't prebooked. Which is to me is biggest argument against double dipping with same day additional FP+ acquisitions. It doesn't seem logical to me that on site guests book three choice FP in advance, and then rush to the park and gather more before the others have shown up to claim their 3. That and the idea that the biggest selling point is FREEDOM to switch all day long up to the point FP+ expiration. That has been said in every news release. Flexibility is the key. Flexibility. To ensure this flexibility, there has to be free inventory available to switch with - and it can't only be buzz light year and haunted mansion - fast loading rides that don't even need a FP.

Other than the resort stay requirement, there wasn't anything to change from our initial conversations started in January.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 05-24-2013 at 07:28 AM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #617
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

There is no information stating that resort guests will have access to more FP+.

The information out there says they get a band that has some extra functionality with personalizing your experience.

Off site get a ticket that entitles them to fastpass+, touch to pay and touch to enter the park. This was stated by Disney themselves back around christmas:

Quote:
Hi, Todd. Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish.
Taken from: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...he-next-level/ in the comments. Someone asked about offsite and that was the reply.

I.E. Everyone will have access to fastpass+. Nothing about more if you stay onsite.

However, if there are no same day fastpasses under the new system that effectively means no fastpasses for us next year... that would suck. We can't afford to buy tickets in advance (only when we arrive because of exchange rates), and we don't have smartphones. So, if we couldn't prebook and there were no same-day fastpasses that would mean no fastpasses full stop... hope they don't go down that route. But still, surely you could use the kiosks in park to arrange more fastpasses later in the week, even if not the same day?

Assuming we even decide to do that, i'm not liking the idea that we would have to stay in a certain area because we had a fastpass booked etc very appealing. Might just have to be standby all the way.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-24-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #618
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Pete shared some "new" information (starts at the 29:00 mark). First he said when this gets going that FP+ will only be for people with a valid ticket, they can be booked 60 days in advance, and for those with a disney resort reservation.
Quote:
The requirement of having a resort reservation keeps popping up from people I trust. But there is absolutely nothing in any of the information from Disney. There are strong indications that ticket type could be a limitation (like must purchase at full price from Disney seems to be lurking in the Paperwork), but this concept of staying on site at a resort gives you an advantage is not in any conditions or interviews. Yet it still pops up.

I am NOT a resort guest but I DO have a valid ticket. To me that points to the ability to book 60 days out is tied to having a ticket number to enter online and not as much as being a resort guest.

So here is a thought, you made a reservation for a Disney resort room only and that gave you the ability to book FP+s 60 days out. Does the system keep track that those FP+s are tied to that reservation and cancel them if you cancel the reservation?? Also if you have a reservation for 10 days but only a 5 day ticket included in the package, will you be able to book FP+s for all 10 days or for 5 days since your ticket only shows you will be able to be in the parks for 5 days, not 10?
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #619
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
I am NOT a resort guest but I DO have a valid ticket. To me that points to the ability to book 60 days out is tied to having a ticket number to enter online and not as much as being a resort guest.

So here is a thought, you made a reservation for a Disney resort room only and that gave you the ability to book FP+s 60 days out. Does the system keep track that those FP+s are tied to that reservation and cancel them if you cancel the reservation?? Also if you have a reservation for 10 days but only a 5 day ticket included in the package, will you be able to book FP+s for all 10 days or for 5 days since your ticket only shows you will be able to be in the parks for 5 days, not 10?

See the quote I linked for Disney guaranteeing access to redeeming fastpass+ with a ticket.

Regards the second question, in one of the compilations Robo linked I seem to remember something that said Disney would limit the number of days you could make a reservation. I imagine this is what that was referring too.

It wouldn't make sense not too, as tickets are valid for 14 days and allowing people to make 14 days of reservations with a five day ticket would be extremely foolish on Disney's part.

Other Trips :

Old 05-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #620
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

First off, I have not listened to Petes Podcast yet, and I will. However, I COMPLETELY agree that both on site and off site guests will have the 60 days, as long as off site has a valid ticket.

To contemplate your second remark, this really made me think. And its an awesome question.

Lets look at the Disney reservation dining reservation to get some insight. Right now, resort guests have the leg up on booking dining reservations because of the 180 plus 10 rule. I would imagine that this would be one of the very first perks for resort guests under this new regime i.e. they get to book the primo fast passes first, giving them a 10 day window starting on the first day of their hotel reservation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isent' it a standard 10 day window from check in date? Can you book on day 6 even if your ressie is only a 5 day hotel reservation? I dont know the answer definitively, as I have never tried to do it. But I seem to remember the whole 10 days hilighted in blue for available booking, even when I had a 7 day reservation. Maybe someone has true life experience with this.

Anyways, I would think that however the dining ressie system works will be a good indicator on how this FP+ booking window works.

I have really tried to stay away from this thread, but I feel a long post coming on.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #621
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I imagine that these sorts of variables are part of the reason that Disney is having trouble rolling it out. Yes, the tech is slow to come online, and glitchy, but the sheer volume of variables to consider may have been underestimated. Who among us has not had an interaction with a less than well-informed CM..and not just bus drivers? I can see the FP+ work team being asked to do XYZ, only to learn later that they were not informed of the zillion variations that might affect operations.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #622
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
First off, I have not listened to Petes Podcast yet, and I will. However, I COMPLETELY agree that both on site and off site guests will have the 60 days, as long as off site has a valid ticket.

To contemplate your second remark, this really made me think. And its an awesome question.

Lets look at the Disney reservation dining reservation to get some insight. Right now, resort guests have the leg up on booking dining reservations because of the 180 plus 10 rule. I would imagine that this would be one of the very first perks for resort guests under this new regime i.e. they get to book the primo fast passes first, giving them a 10 day window starting on the first day of their hotel reservation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isent' it a standard 10 day window from check in date? Can you book on day 6 even if your ressie is only a 5 day hotel reservation? I dont know the answer definitively, as I have never tried to do it. But I seem to remember the whole 10 days hilighted in blue for available booking, even when I had a 7 day reservation. Maybe someone has true life experience with this.

Anyways, I would think that however the dining ressie system works will be a good indicator on how this FP+ booking window works.

I have really tried to stay away from this thread, but I feel a long post coming on.
I doubt you will be able to book fastpasses for more days than your ticket allows you. It would affect the distribution and crowd control surely. Fastpasses won't have any penalty for not showing up as far as we know. If they did the same system as ADR's, they'd have to introduce a penalty for a no show imo. Isn't that what they did with dining ressies?

And isn't the sixty day window any point after you are allowed to check in (or put in your ticket as in the case of off site)? It just says up to sixty days out in the T+C I believe.

Other Trips :

Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #623
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
That is correct. As a resort guest, you can book dining reservations for 10 days starting 180 days out from your check-in date. You can book more than the length of your stay, but not more than 10 days (even if you are staying longer).

I always figured that's just all their IT systems could handle.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #624
bwang123

I am not sure how much I would trust these DIS "trusted sources". In December, this was posted:

"While still a rumor, The DIS has confirmed from multiple sources that Disney will officially announce this week that they are bringing Cars Land to Disney's Hollywood Studios." -http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/Theme_Parks_Attractions/Cars_Land_is_coming_to_DHS.htm

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #625
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To ensure this flexibility, there has to be free inventory available to switch with - and it can't only be buzz light year and haunted mansion - fast loading rides that don't even need a FP.
I think it can and probably WILL be exactly that. Remember, at least PART of the reason they are developing a tiered system and adding FP+ to rides that don't need it is to steer people to those rides. As others have pointed out, many casual guests are likely to be quite satisfied that they were able to pre-book their FP+ for Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, etc. Since they have no frame of reference to compare to (i.e., they don't know that you rarely ever NEED a FP for these rides), they will only now that they were able to "bypass the lines" for these attractions.

And there's potentially the additional "social engineering" aspect of sending texts to alert guests that, say, Stitch FP+s are available if they act right now! I'm sure at least a few people will end up trading their Peter Pan FP for Stitch because they don't know the historical wait times for these rides.

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #626
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

I am sorry

I typed in a hurry, there were some misleading comments in my posts

1. The onsite guest perk could be 60 plus 10

2. I dont mean to say they could book 10 days worth of fast passes on a 5 day ticket. Thats silly. I mean to say, they could book 5 days worth of fast passes in that 10 day span.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #627
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

And so if FP+s are tied to valid tickets, someone like me, with a 10 NE ticket, in theory could make FP+s for days that I am 75% sure I would not need.....JUST IN CASE!! Isn't that what has happened with ADRs?? And most us have to admit that we have done this with ADRs. I have an ADR right now that I'm about 90% sure aren't going to use but I haven't cancelled yet because we MIGHT use it! I will cancel it but not until closer to our travel dates.

You know, it is one thing to be annoyed that someone got to the park before me, beat me to the FP machine and got a FP that I wanted. But that is no ones fault but mine. It is totally different thing to be annoyed about people that aren't EVEN in park or are about 75% sure they won't be in that park taking FP+s from guest that are in the park! To me, that is Disney's fault for setting up the system that way. And this is from someone that would have that ability if it is tied to tickets. I know there is talk about those FP+s that aren't showed up for being put back into the system but how can they do this until the time has run out or close to runnning out? Doesn't the idea of FP work with only a certain number allowed so as to not get a back up (the reason they stopped allowing guest to use them any time after the start time....even thought our family only did this a couple of times)? So how will adding effect this? I really don't think this would be a big problem but who would have thought ADRs would have caused the problems that is has.

If only they could come up with a system that only those that are actually in the park could take up places in the FP lines.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #628
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Pete shared some "new" information (starts at the 29:00 mark). First he said when this gets going that FP+ will only be for people with a valid ticket, they can be booked 60 days in advance, and for those with a disney resort reservation.
That was interesting, and I forgot about that...but what kicked this off was the MagicBands, and I wonder if he merged the two...although they have said MagicBands would be available at a charge to non-resort/passholder people, they will be rolling out to resort guests first. And Disney as also said that passholders would also be able to use the system, and didn't seem to imply that they'd have to be resort guests as well. so I wonder if there is some confusion.

Quote:
Second he said that 3 FP+ prebooked, one park, and that you definitely couldn't use legacy with the FP+, and did not mention anything about extra FP throughout the day. He seemed very confident.
We were pretty confident about that too - back in January
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #629
Starr W.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
I didn't know off-site guests could make ADR's till last year. I've been five times. Seriously, we were no disney novices but things can just slip by if you don't use them, we never used ADR's you see.

If people don't seek out and encounter things or have them advertised in their faces they often won't use them, and even advertising is limited in effect as current ignorance shows. LIke you said most people on seeing the fastpass line seem to assume it isn't free, it isn't available to day trippers from off-site, and some that it isn't even available to certain on site.

They'll need a huge "ITS FREE AND ANYONE CAN USE IT AND YOU CAN BOOK BEFORE YOU ENTER THE PARKS NOW BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT AND ONLY FOR CERTAIN TIMES AND ATTRACTIONS BUT YOU CAN CHANGE THEM AT A KIOSK OR ON YOUR PHONE IF THE WIFI ALLOWS IT, ITS KIND OF SPOTTY APPARENTLY AND THE APP SOMETIMES WON'T WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE BUT OTHERS HAVE NO ISSUES. (Terms and conditions apply.)" sign by the sounds of it.
No the funniest part about this was I was at the local travel agent, booking a cruise for my sister and I and the they are an "earmakred" agent(Disney specialist). Started talking about Disney and the neighbor with the ADR/Value issue and she said she had clients who would tell her the same thing. Even after she offered to make the ADR's for them. They thought she would get in trouble with Disney.
Starr W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #630
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Edited to delete post.

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: