Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #571
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessArlena'sDad View Post
I can think of two reasons they haven't released specifics:

1. They want to release it with a propaganda campaign to drown out the WDW vets who won't like it

2. They haven't figured out/decided upon the specifics, and don't want to have to double back (like what happened with New Fantasyland).

I'm leaning towards #2. It seems when WDW got its new leadership earlier this year (Feb?) is when all the info about FP+ abruptly stopped. As if the new leadership wanted to take a closer look at how FP+ was going to work, and also make major changes.

It wouldn't suprise me if FP+ is completely different upon release than what it was looking like last Dec, when details first started coming out. Of course, the public may never know how much (if at all) the new management changed things.
#3 Could be that they can't get their IT system working so they can't give any specific details yet!

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #572
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
#3 Could be that they can't get their IT system working so they can't give any specific details yet!
Agree.

Of course, there could be other reasons too, but we know from first-hand experience that their IT isn't ready for prime time yet.

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #573
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
I'm actually not overly interested in debating this, so I will make a couple final points and also suggest you listen at least one more time.

1) The information was part of the NEWS section of the video. I suppose it could have been simply a restatement of known information but that is not how it was presented.

2) At 30:51 he states "we are just getting information about FP+"

3) At 31:23 he very clearly states that once you choose to go Magic Band you can NOT use the regular FP system. Specifically it was stated that once you get a Magic Band you can not use regular FP.
I finally had a chance to listen again (spent most of the day on the phone with a support tech who instead of helping fix a problem bricked the device ). I just want to make sure we're understanding it correctly.

2) "We've gotten some information on, regarding Fastpass Plus..." Can't tell if he means it was new information or not.

You are correct on 3. I think I was interpreting it as implying that if you chose to use the MagicBand for Fastpass+, you couldn't use it for Fastpass, as opposed to stating if you HAVE a MagicBand, you can only use Fastpass+.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Last edited by doconeill; 05-22-2013 at 01:59 PM.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #574
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
Not getting the system working could explain the delay, but not the lack of information. They could give the details on what they planned to do, despite the tech not being ready.

Unless, they're not sure whether they can ever get the tech working right. Otherwise, tech issues alone shouldn't prevent an unveiling of what this is going to look like.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #575
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
2) "We've gotten some information on, regarding Fastpass Plus..." Can't tell if he means it was new information or not.
There is definitely room for doubt there, especially since the information is at best second hand anyway.

I just don't understand the need for so much secrecy. Disney knows about all the speculation and debate, what are they trying to hide? The parameters had to have been set up before attempting implementation. You don't set up a system and say "well we'll see how it works and then decide how we'll have guests use it afterwards." It would be an IT nightmare trying to account for all possible permutations.

It is possible the wifi limitations inside the parks are giving them fits. Let's not forget there has already been a successful test of prescheduling FP's and use of the kiosks (see video linked earlier in discussion) which apparently went very well. They may be delaying rollout until the poor wifi and slow website problems are solved, but that doesn't explain all the secrecy. The metrics on how many FP's could be prescheduled and then how many would be remaining for same day should have been worked out BEFORE attempts at implementation. Certainly they couldn't be relying on the tests to provide that because results would be skewed by the ability to concurrently utilize the old system

I am afraid that the corp bigwigs may have been stunned that many of the uber planners among us aren't jumping up and down and singing the praises of prescheduling FP's, despite the limitations. That I can believe because I am pretty sure very few of them have EVER waited in a SB line. They wouldn't understand the strong feelings against having draconian FP limitations. If that is the case and they are trying to backwards engineer a system for acquiring same day FP's, then no wonder it is a mess.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #576
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
There is definitely room for doubt there, especially since the information is at best second hand anyway.

I just don't understand the need for so much secrecy. Disney knows about all the speculation and debate, what are they trying to hide? The parameters had to have been set up before attempting implementation. You don't set up a system and say "well we'll see how it works and then decide how we'll have guests use it afterwards." It would be an IT nightmare trying to account for all possible permutations.

It is possible the wifi limitations inside the parks are giving them fits. Let's not forget there has already been a successful test of prescheduling FP's and use of the kiosks (see video linked earlier in discussion) which apparently went very well. They may be delaying rollout until the poor wifi and slow website problems are solved, but that doesn't explain all the secrecy. The metrics on how many FP's could be prescheduled and then how many would be remaining for same day should have been worked out BEFORE attempts at implementation. Certainly they couldn't be relying on the tests to provide that because results would be skewed by the ability to concurrently utilize the old system

I am afraid that the corp bigwigs may have been stunned that many of the uber planners among us aren't jumping up and down and singing the praises of prescheduling FP's, despite the limitations. That I can believe because I am pretty sure very few of them have EVER waited in a SB line. They wouldn't understand the strong feelings against having draconian FP limitations. If that is the case and they are trying to backwards engineer a system for acquiring same day FP's, then no wonder it is a mess.
I think there are a LOT of things giving them fits. The web site doesn't always work. The app SELDOM works wherever yo are. Wi-Fi is a problem in the parks. You can't link profiles easily. The RFID cards are hit and miss for actually working. And that isn't even getting near to Fastpass+ itself.

I really think that they were hoping to get to real-world trials by now but all the myriad of other problems has completely turned things on their ear.

I would LOVE to talk to Nick Franklin though and at least ask, "Is it really only 3 FP+ per day overall, aside from 'bonuses'"? And get him on camera saying it, since no one would believe it...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #577
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If "the average guest" was "out of the loop" on regular FP how in the world is FP+ going to be easier for them?
I don't think they will have any trouble with using this. It will be well promoted by Disney and Disney travel agents, bloggers. There will be help for guests that need it after they arrive.

However the use of the ticket to return after the stated date was something that many never, ever thought of doing. While it was allowed, again not arguing right or wrong on this, just saying it was not common knowledge to the masses.

Many, many people never got a fast pass, because they did not want to be there at opening and rush from place to place to gather them. So when they arrived the fastpasses for that day were gone.

This will help that guest and believe me there are many of them.

Disney has spent a lot of money and time listening to guests complaints and suggestions on Fast pass. This program is based on that feedback.

The problem many DISers forget that there is a huge contingency of guests that do not frequent these forums or others. This might be a vocal group but it is not the vocal majority.

Last edited by Sammie; 05-22-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #578
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

The idea of them retrofitting changes on to the fastpass plus system is fascinating. Someone earlier recalled the sudden dearth of information was consistent with a change at disney. Anyone know if they've undergone a management change or something? I don't keep tabs on the companies history itself.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #579
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
The idea of them retrofitting changes on to the fastpass plus system is fascinating. Someone earlier recalled the sudden dearth of information was consistent with a change at disney. Anyone know if they've undergone a management change or something? I don't keep tabs on the companies history itself.
George Kalogridis replaced Meg Crofton as WDW president in January. I seem to recall this was about the same time we got our first look at the infamous MDE Terms and Conditions, but I have no idea if the two are related.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #580
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
George Kalogridis replaced Meg Crofton as WDW president in January. I seem to recall this was about the same time we got our first look at the infamous MDE Terms and Conditions, but I have no idea if the two are related.
Most of the information came out around the first week of January - Jan 7th or before, as that's when I wrote up an article on it. The changing of the guard was announced January 9th. Hmm...

Old 05-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #581
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Interesting. Also afaik regarding the above post it's same access for all guests. At worst maybe off site won't be able to pre book (which I wouldn't be bothered about) but they've already said you get access regardless, unless anything changes... In the blog post that announced this whole thing for real back around Christmas, Disney said Resort guests get a wristband (I'd prefer the ticket anyway) but that's the only distinction they have made so far.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #582
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

Most of the information came out around the first week of January - Jan 7th or before, as that's when I wrote up an article on it. The changing of the guard was announced January 9th. Hmm...
Then I would guess they are somehow linked, but probably not in any important ways that we could generate conspiracy theories about.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #583
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Time to take this thread off line for a day in order that folks can relax

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #584
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Fp 101?

Can anyone please direct me to a section where I can read about Fastpass & Fastpass+??

Thank you! I haven't grasped it all yet.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #585
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
Can anyone please direct me to a section where I can read about Fastpass & Fastpass+??

Thank you! I haven't grasped it all yet.
FP-

Click HERE for Disser doconeill's explanation of what FastPass is, and how it works.

Here are two more in-depth explanations of FP-

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/fastpass.htm

http://allears.net/tp/fastpass.htm

-------------------------------------------

Be careful about what you read about FP+.

It has not been released and only the most cryptic and incomplete
info abounds on the web.

Below are some compilations of the info that can be pieced together:

http://crooksinwdw.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/116/

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3106339

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: