Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #556
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
guest not so much when they realise they didnt really need a fastpass anyway for that particular ride,

Yes, some will figure this out and then do better research for their next WDW trip.

But the folks who could never figure out the current FP system are probably not going to figure this out either. Many will be happy that they were simply able to "beat the lines."
Old 05-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #557
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
FYI, I re-listened to the podcast...I don't believe he said that it was new information, but that he trusted the source. Unfortunately, it was just basically saying what we know for sure, just that it was all there was - which as I mentioned could still be true.

One mistake, he implied that you had a choice between using the old or new system (as long as the old system exists, which he says will go a way "in a couple years") with a MagicBand. But that does not appear to be true at this time, because 1) you can't get a FP with a MagicBand currently; and 2) The posted T&C basically says that if you switch to the RFID system, you can only use FP+ (of course, they didn't seem to be planning on giving out all-RFID cards this early...)
I'm actually not overly interested in debating this, so I will make a couple final points and also suggest you listen at least one more time.

1) The information was part of the NEWS section of the video. I suppose it could have been simply a restatement of known information but that is not how it was presented.

2) At 30:51 he states "we are just getting information about FP+"

3) At 31:23 he very clearly states that once you choose to go Magic Band you can NOT use the regular FP system. Specifically it was stated that once you get a Magic Band you can not use regular FP.
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #558
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post
Yes, some will figure this out and then do better research for their next WDW trip.

But the folks who could never figure out the current FP system are probably not going to figure this out either. Many will be happy that they were simply able to "beat the lines."
True. I suppose this could actually help to limit the impact of pre booked FP's on my trips, coupled with the fact I don't do peter pan, dumbo, its a small world or any of those types of ride.

Might not affect wait times too bad, probably will even them out, so 40 mins for a headliner and 20 for another ride instead of 50/10. Crowd control via thought suggestion... hmm.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #559
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc

I'm actually not overly interested in debating this, so I will make a couple final points and also suggest you listen at least one more time.

1) The information was part of the NEWS section of the video. I suppose it could have been simply a restatement of known information but that is not how it was presented.

2) At 30:51 he states "we are just getting information about FP+"

3) At 31:23 he very clearly states that once you choose to go Magic Band you can NOT use the regular FP system. Specifically it was stated that once you get a Magic Band you can not use regular FP.
that makes sense because you can not insert a magic band into the current fast pass systems.

what this doesn't say is once the old fast pass system is phased out will these kiosks function in a similar way as the old.

that is the unanswered question.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #560
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I believe that RnRC test was just a precursor to the current Dumbo queue system. Unsure if there will be more queues like this in the future or not.
Yes.

From the first time the new Dumbo location was described with its "no-line" queue waiting area, many discussed that queue as the fruition of the NextGen queue tested at R'n'RC.

In fact, that Dumbo unique no-line queue (inside the large new tent building) generated so much discussion that it was a major surprise to discover that Dumbo ALSO featured a conventional FP line.

I have to think that the inclusion of the FP line was to accommodate the coming of FP+.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #561
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
that makes sense because you can not insert a magic band into the current fast pass systems.

what this doesn't say is once the old fast pass system is phased out will these kiosks function in a similar way as the old.

that is the unanswered question.
It would actually make sense to use a simplified form of the app on the kiosk (and from what I've seen they do), and that app has the option to reserve new passes so the in park kiosks might hopefully have one too in that case.

See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI4x3ZkMEB8 for the ability to modify your booking. I wonder if that green button on the bottom right of your intro page after you swipe takes you to another screen showing options to add more bookings in park and not just change current ones? I can't make it out but it seems to say "choose" or "change".

Other Trips :

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-22-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #562
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness

Not sure if this is ok but I found this on another site. http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/news/20...es#prettyPhoto
Check the pics out. The pic on the left at the bottom (click to enlarge) shows a selection screen in park.

This was part of the test as it says, not sure when it was taken but there is no reason this or something similar couldnt be rolled out when fastpass+ does.

See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI4x3ZkMEB8 for the ability to modify your booking. (I wonder if that green button on then bottom right of your intro page after you swipe takes you to another screen showing options to add more bookings in park and not just change current ones? I can't make it out but it seems to say "choose" or "change".)
that "kiosk" in the first link is still there. it was turned on while we walked by the entrance to pirates on may 16th. no one was using it and the way its positioned, it looks like its for CMs only.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #563
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
that "kiosk" in the first link is still there. it was turned on while we walked by the entrance to pirates on may 16th. no one was using it and the way its positioned, it looks like its for CMs only.
Ah okay. Not sure why it wouldnt be locked down to just that ride? Why have the option to select different attractions, are they going to lug the thing around to different ones? Or, is it a staff login screen so they can say where they were stationed at that day... probably the latter. Oh well. I thought I'd cracked it for a minute! I'll take that pic out as it seems I jumped the gun.

Other Trips :

Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #564
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
That's my thought...that's the CM's interface (it talks about touch points, and makes me think it's like the QS cash registers - handles guests scanning on either side of it.

Someone (MonorailLime) said that the in-park kiosks would all be CM controlled...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #565
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Yeah I realise that now. By the way, in the description of that video I posted showing a guest changing their bookings, it says:

"With FastPass+, guests can make their attraction reservations online or at a computer in the park, then to enter the attraction, they go in the special queue and touch their card to the Mickey symbol."

Interesting.

Other Trips :

Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #566
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

Quote:
Not sure if this is ok but I found this on another site. http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/news/20...es#prettyPhoto
Check the pics out. The pic on the left at the bottom (click to enlarge) shows a selection screen in park.

This was part of the test as it says, not sure when it was taken but there is no reason this or something similar to the website couldnt be rolled out on the kiosks in park when fastpass+ goes live.

It would actually make sense to use a form of the app on the kiosk (and from what I've seen they do), and that app has the option to reserve new passes so the in park kiosks should hopefully have one too in that case.

See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI4x3ZkMEB8 for the ability to modify your booking. (I wonder if that green button on the bottom right of your intro page after you swipe takes you to another screen showing options to add more bookings in park and not just change current ones? I can't make it out but it seems to say "choose" or "change".)
Awesome find... so much for argument that this discussion has no worth.

That screenshot of the kiosk is interesting but confusing. It says Magic Kingdom but then has drop down menus for Attraction, this would support the possibility of in-park FP selection, but also has Location, Station and two drop downs for Touch Points. Unfortunately this could be some sort of set up menu for use by IT, or could be a way for CM's to make adjustments for potential glitches in the system. If it was just for FP selection why the extra cryptic drop downs?

I can't discern the writing on the green button on the video either. I did note however that when recognizing the RFID card the initial screen looked nothing like the screenshot referenced above.

I am hopeful that there we will not be limited to 3 FP's per day. I just don't want to believe Disney would do that to us. As far as the ongoing debate Disney could clear it up in a heartbeat by simply providing more information. The longer they withhold details the more I fear it is because they KNOW a large segment won't be happy with it and they want time to get their "happy happy, fun fun, FP+ is great" campaign in gear before we REALLY start screaming in angst.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #567
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Ah okay. Not sure why it wouldnt be locked down to just that ride? Why have the option to select different attractions, are they going to lug the thing around to different ones? Or, is it a staff login screen so they can say where they were stationed at that day... probably the latter. Oh well. I thought I'd cracked it for a minute! I'll take that pic out as it seems I jumped the gun.
From the reports, it seems likely that in the parks, the CMs will help you make changes, including to different attractions/experiences. Probably a quicker but more cryptic interface.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #568
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
Awesome find... so much for argument that this discussion has no worth.

That screenshot of the kiosk is interesting but confusing. It says Magic Kingdom but then has drop down menus for Attraction, this would support the possibility of in-park FP selection, but also has Location, Station and two drop downs for Touch Points. Unfortunately this could be some sort of set up menu for use by IT, or could be a way for CM's to make adjustments for potential glitches in the system. If it was just for FP selection why the extra cryptic drop downs?

I can't discern the writing on the green button on the video either. I did note however that when recognizing the RFID card the initial screen looked nothing like the screenshot referenced above.

I am hopeful that there we will not be limited to 3 FP's per day. I just don't want to believe Disney would do that to us. As far as the ongoing debate Disney could clear it up in a heartbeat by simply providing more information. The longer they withhold details the more I fear it is because they KNOW a large segment won't be happy with it and they want time to get their "happy happy, fun fun, FP+ is great" campaign in gear before we REALLY start screaming in angst.
Yeah I think it is like a checkout, the employee has to log in and put in location, that sort of thing. Looks like a CM point.

That green button im fairly sure begins with a Ch or an O. Ch would make most sense, and given the description below the video I just quoted, Change, or Choose seems a good prospect.

Given the amount of money they are pumping in to this project, why not make a video detailing the basics, who what where why how (inc. how many passes) and when (rough deadline obviously, like a quarter). This is what most tech companies do.

Instead all we get are lots of semi-detailed "why's" and a vague "everyone will have some access" on "who". Nothing much beyond "3 passes beforehand, an app and kiosks" for the rest. Could be a few reasons why, I'm leaning towards the cynical ones.

Other Trips :

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-22-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #569
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Thanks for those links. The video was really interesting. I like the system, but I think it may be a bit time consuming. I think there may be some confusion for some guests.

We will be there in 11 days, I wonder if there will be more testing? I think it would be fun to participate in the testing.

Planning our next trip...
Dreamer & Wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #570
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

I can think of two reasons they haven't released specifics:

1. They want to release it with a propaganda campaign to drown out the WDW vets who won't like it

2. They haven't figured out/decided upon the specifics, and don't want to have to double back (like what happened with New Fantasyland).

I'm leaning towards #2. It seems when WDW got its new leadership earlier this year (Feb?) is when all the info about FP+ abruptly stopped. As if the new leadership wanted to take a closer look at how FP+ was going to work, and also make major changes.

It wouldn't suprise me if FP+ is completely different upon release than what it was looking like last Dec, when details first started coming out. Of course, the public may never know how much (if at all) the new management changed things.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: