Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #511
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
If "the average guest" was "out of the loop" on regular FP how in the world is FP+ going to be easier for them?
Fabulous insight! Wonder if the Disney wizards have asked themselves this 1 billion dollar question!?!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #512
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Well the nay-sayers can say they are going down the wrong path and others can say that instead of remaining stagnant like those companies not thriving, Disney is moving ahead with new advancements.

In my opinion the current system was broke anyway and yes possibly some of that Disney has to take blame for. I see this as an improvement for more people instead of those that knew how to make the whole program work for them. Not blaming anyone that did it, just that the average guest was out of that loop.

What many on forums have to remember, Disney does not have to make me, or anyone else in this discussion happy. They don't even need us to keep coming back. All they need is enough others to come back and enjoy the experience to be successful.

I personally am looking forward to the program, let the fun begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
If "the average guest" was "out of the loop" on regular FP how in the world is FP+ going to be easier for them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
A most excellent question.
Exactly...as I mentioned before that I talked with a mom that will be going to Disney for the 17th time and had not heard anything about FP+ or the new Disney app. She does everything by phone and doesn't do anything with Disney's website. So how will this be better for their family or my DB's family that I will no longer go to Disney with because they will NEVER make any plans in advance!! They will wait and buy their tickets when they get there, are staying off-site and will have NO idea what park they will be going to until they leave their room in the morning. I am willing to bet there are a many families just like them. Anytime I try to talk with someone getting ready to go to Disney about making plans I get looks like I am crazy. To the point I don't say anything unless they ask a question.

So I have asked many times and have never gotten an answer that really makes sense, how will Disney reach these people to set up their FP+s when they have been unable to reach many of them on how FP works as it is now?

So...who is the "average" guest you are talking about? It surely can't be the non-planners. Non-planners are non-planners by nature and nothing Disney does will change a great number of them. Non-planners will no more be in the loop with FP+ than they are with FP.

Edited to add: The family that will be heading to Disney for the 17th time always stay on-site and was still in the dark about the Disney app and anything about FP+.

Last edited by mom2mickeyfan; 05-21-2013 at 09:12 PM.
mom2mickeyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #513
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

Marketing.

Resort guests, at least, will be inundated with it. Online checkin? "Hey, did you know you can also now pre-book a Fastpass+ for your favorite rides?"

Even though pretty much anyone will be able to do it, I think 90% of the utilizers will be resort guests. Then it can give them some teeth if they pull it back and make it a resort guest feature only.
Sorry, I don't think that'll be even close to enough. Stacy tries to sell FP about every 15 minutes on the first channel the room TV is tuned to when powered on. Every park map mentions how it works. Lots of clueless people besides.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #514
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Sorry, I don't think that'll be even close to enough. Stacy tries to sell FP about every 15 minutes on the first channel the room TV is tuned to when powered on. Every park map mentions how it works. Lots of clueless people besides.
But none of those actually get you to the park and do it.

But a simply link from the online check-in page, and they enter a whole new world...pick your MagicBand colors, pick a park, pick a pre-selected FP+ set...done. And you didn't even have to stand up.

Will it work? I don't know. But I think they will probably have at least some more success over newbs with it.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #515
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:

But a simply link from the online check-in page, and they enter a whole new world...pick your MagicBand colors, pick a park, pick a pre-selected FP+ set...done. And you didn't even have to stand up.

Will it work? I don't know. But I think they will probably have at least some more success over newbs with it.
That level of simplicity seems optimistic based on track record. And, how many people use online checkin anyway? And those that do, how many will be willing and prepared to pick their park days right then and there?

You're right though, who knows how well any of this will work. It will be an interesting evolution regardless.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #516
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
It may be their intention to stop the power users and get more FP+ into the hands of the other guests, as was stated by a former poster.
I don't see that as the "intent" so much as it may actually be a "result."

"Result" of needing X number of FP+ positions ("Advance Attraction Reservations") to offer per day to so many guests.
That's borne out by the addition of so many MORE attractions that will offer
FP+("Advance Attraction Reservations,") many of which don't normally need
a FP of any kind. Plus, the inclusion of events into the FP+ system.
Parade FP+, Fireworks FP+, Fantasmic! FP+, all of which may offer various strata of "advantage" as guests
must still likely "show up early" in order to (hopefully) gain a better viewing position in the designated viewing area.

Back to my original point-
If "stopping power users" was the "intent," they could have limited the number of FP's per attraction and/or per person at any time within the last 12 years with just some new lines of computer code.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #517
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Marketing.

Resort guests, at least, will be inundated with it. Online checkin? "Hey, did you know you can also now pre-book a Fastpass+ for your favorite rides?"

Even though pretty much anyone will be able to do it, I think 90% of the utilizers will be resort guests. Then it can give them some teeth if they pull it back and make it a resort guest feature only.
IMO, it's fairly well marketed now and you still have people who think you have to pay for it. While I was planning this last trip for my family, my uncle was telling my dad how he and his wife didn't use FP because they didn't want to spend the money on it. I tried explaining that it was free and I was adamantly told I was wrong.

Marketing can't (and won't) fix everything.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #518
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's assuming people use online check in. We stay at SOG, so that's not an option for us - yet FP+ will be (if the terms and conditions remain accurate as they are now). There are many thousands of others (I'm sure) who stay offsite who will also have access to FP+, but not online check in.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #519
bcrook
DIS Veteran

A little off topic, but I think there is a little connection. At least I am curious. How did so many people figure out be our guest books up 180 + 10 days in advance of trips? How did that information get out? Is it all disboard people?

I understand that table reservations for dinner are in the hundreds per night and FP+ for TSMM will be thousands, but somehow enough people know to totally book up the attractions. How does that happen if most people are not in the know?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 05-22-2013 at 05:29 AM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #520
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Also assuming people can figure out the IT aspects. Many people I know who are no luddites still have issues with aspects of IT. Who wants to be fighting an app on vacation anyway?

They are going to have to push this like there is no tomorrow. Even more so than fastpass is pushed now.

Also, all the articles I have read mention day of fastpasses. They wouldn't put kiosks in the park just for checking the times of your pre-booked passes. It just remains to be seen how many will be available on the day, if they hold some back.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #521
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
IMO, it's fairly well marketed now and you still have people who think you have to pay for it. While I was planning this last trip for my family, my uncle was telling my dad how he and his wife didn't use FP because they didn't want to spend the money on it. I tried explaining that it was free and I was adamantly told I was wrong.

Marketing can't (and won't) fix everything.
We have heard so many comments from people in the standby line while we are using the FP line.

"Must be nice to be able to afford that."
"Oh they can bypass lines because they're staying at the expensive resorts."
"Hmm guess they're VIP's or something."

People already don't understand the FP system, despite that it's clearly outlined on the Park Maps and CM's around that you can ask about it.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #522
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Also assuming people can figure out the IT aspects. Many people I know who are no luddites still have issues with aspects of IT. Who wants to be fighting an app on vacation anyway?

They are going to have to push this like there is no tomorrow. Even more so than fastpass is pushed now.

Also, all the articles I have read mention day of fastpasses. They wouldn't put kiosks in the park just for checking the times of your pre-booked passes. It just remains to be seen how many will be available on the day, if they hold some back.
Day of? Referring to those people who didn't book any in advance will still be able to book their quota the day of. Also the kiosks will be necessary to make changes on the run in the park. If that 6:00 little mermaid slot isn't going to work anymore you can change it to stitch for 8:30. Or something like that.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #523
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Day of? Referring to those people who didn't book any in advance will still be able to book their quota the day of. Also the kiosks will be necessary to make changes on the run in the park. If that 6:00 little mermaid slot isn't going to work anymore you can change it to stitch for 8:30. Or something like that.
Yes but some people already can't even work out how to work the FastPass machines now and they are very simple to operate. We have stood beside or behind several people who couldn't work out how to operate the machine. The Kiosks will be more involved than just putting your ticket into the machine

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #524
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
We have heard so many comments from people in the standby line while we are using the FP line.

"Must be nice to be able to afford that."
"Oh they can bypass lines because they're staying at the expensive resorts."
"Hmm guess they're VIP's or something."

People already don't understand the FP system, despite that it's clearly outlined on the Park Maps and CM's around that you can ask about it.
I sometimes feel a twinge of guilt... well maybe not guilt... more like sadness for these folks who are missing out only because they are ignorant (I don't mean that in an insulting way... just saying that they do not know the information). But there's also the tiniest hint of schadenfreude because if all those people out there who don't "get" FP suddenly become educated, it could mean less FP opportunities for those of us who took the time and effort to learn the system. I'll probably be accused of "gloom and doom" but what many of us are afraid of is that FP+ will reduce the number of FP opportunities we have and it's yet to be seen if those "average" guests will see any benefit in return or if it's just the same for them and worse for us.

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #525
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post
I sometimes feel a twinge of guilt... well maybe not guilt... more like sadness for these folks who are missing out only because they are ignorant (I don't mean that in an insulting way... just saying that they do not know the information). But there's also the tiniest hint of schadenfreude because if all those people out there who don't "get" FP suddenly become educated, it could mean less FP opportunities for those of us who took the time and effort to learn the system. I'll probably be accused of "gloom and doom" but what many of us are afraid of is that FP+ will reduce the number of FP opportunities we have and it's yet to be seen if those "average" guests will see any benefit in return or if it's just the same for them and worse for us.
Yes but the thing is the information about the current FastPass system is readily available. It's on their website, it's on the maps, they can ask the CM's who are around the machines. I'm really not sure if FP+ will actually help people to use FP who already can't figure out regular FP. To me it's similar to people who don't realise you have to book CRT and Chef Mickey 180 days out in order to get a reservation

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: