Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #466
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

Robo, I think you (as per usual) have hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of people who come and go from their first Disney trip and never use FP because they don't understand the system. There are far too many first timers who will never know they should check in 60 days out so they can pick ride reservations for their trip.
Since we use FP in the parks, we have heard so many snide comments from people in the standby line

"Must be nice to be able to afford that."
"Oh they can bypass lines because they're staying at the expensive resorts."
"Hmm guess they're VIP's or something."

People already don't understand the FP system, despite that it's clearly outlined on the Park Maps and CM's around that you can ask about it.

When we have been checking in for our reservations, we have heard SO many angry guests who want to eat at CRT, Le Cellier, Akershus, Tusker House, Chef Mickey.

"What do you mean we had to make a reservation 180 days out?"
"How can you not have any tables, you just opened!"
"How could we possibly know what we want to eat, 6 months ago?"
"But our DDP told us that we could eat anywhere on property."

And the list goes on.....

I know that FP+ will only be 60 days out but still, I can just see how things will go wrong with this system. While not pre booking rides won't stop people from going on a ride (unlike not booking CRT), it will mean longer standby lines and very disgruntled guests.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #467
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
I know that FP+ will only be 60 days out but still, I can just see how things will go wrong with this system. While not pre booking rides won't stop people from going on a ride (unlike not booking CRT), it will mean longer standby lines and very disgruntled guests.
If the pre-book and day-of FP+s come from the same pool, which they likely are, then pre-booking shouldn't really have any affect on the standby line, unless they muck with the overall ratio again. But anecdotal reports seem to indicate that they've already mucked with it in advance.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #468
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

I've been following along and reading all of these posts.... this entire FP+ system is mind boggling to me. Even if they manage to get it up and running, balancing the mixture of advance reservations with daily guests, I really don't understand how people are going to keep track of what passes they have and for what times if they don't have printed tickets?? There have been many times while inside WDW parks I haven't been able to get the MDE app to load on my iPhone, and the thoughts of kiosks around the park for people to check their times sounds like a nightmare. I am 100% in favor of wristbands to use for our tickets, room key, room charging, etc, I've been saying that for years because we always liked the ease of use at the Great Wolf Lodge resorts... but I can't wrap my brain around fast passes on a wristband. I don't see how it can run smoothly.
My WDW Resort stays: Grand Floridian 2012, 2003, 2001, 1994 * Polynesian 2013, 2011, 2008, 2008, 2005, 2003 * Contemporary 2014, 2008 * Bay Lake Tower 2013 *Boardwalk 2014, 2013, 2006, 2004 * Wilderness Cabin 1998 * Dixie Landings 1999 * All Star Music 2001 * Caribbean Beach Resort 2012, 2002 * Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2005 * Old Key West 2009, 2008, 2004, 2003, 2002 * Yacht Club 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2002 * Beach Club 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2003 * Swan 2006, 2005, 2003 * Pop Century 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 * Art of Animation 2014 * Wilderness Lodge 2014, 2011, 2004, 2003 * Saratoga Springs 2015, 2007 * Port Orleans French Quarter 2014, 2013, 2004 * Coronado Spring 2014 *
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #469
Cuchman
Imaginary Imagineer

I Just Hope.....

I'm sure my thought is more mundane - and maybe selfish? - than most.
We have a trip coming up in September this year and I hope that:
  1. That FP+ is somehow ready for US to use on our trip.
  2. That FP+ is cool/interesting/well-planned enough to add to our experience and not detract from it.
That's about it really.
I mean, I hope it works well for the WDW community on the whole, but shortsightedly, I just want to be able to use it in September!!
Cuchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #470
Coach81
DIS Veteran

Called member services earlier this week they replied simply.. "not ready yet".. so until I hear it from a true "reliable source".. I'm not going to concern myself with any of these threads
Next Trip- Super Summer Trip w Trahans @ SSR Treehouse Villas!!! Last Trip-Mardi Gras '14 VWL, May '13 SSR Grand Villa!!! May '12 AKV 5/11 UF (HRH) 3/11 BLT, 5/10 THV,3/10 UF (RPR), 12/9 BCV, 5/9 BWV, 2/9 SSR, 5/8 AKV, 2/8 OKW Joined DVC Spring '07

Coach81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #471
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Let's play the "It's Not Fair" game.

"It's Not Fair" that guests who show up early in the morning to a park get the best chance at coveted FastPasses.
The coveted FP's will all go quickly that day.

But, some guests can't get up early. "It's Not Fair."

We need to "Make It Fair."

So, let's design a NEW system that does not require guests to get up early in the morning during a vacation in order to get coveted FastPasses.

This NEW system will allow guests who pre-buy tickets and pre-plan trips to pre-book coveted FP's up to 60 days in advance.
The coveted FP's will all go quickly at the 60-day mark.

But, some guests can't pre-buy tickets and pre-plan trips to pre-book coveted FP's up to 60 days in advance. "It's Not Fair."

So, let's design a NEW system that does not require guests to pre-buy tickets and pre-plan trips to pre-book coveted FP's up to 60 days in advance.

I'm thinking that we may be at or approaching the situation of blue paragraph above.

At some point, those who make the effort to UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM and plan accordingly will be ahead of the curve.

Maybe that's the crux of the idea that "It's Not Fair."

And just maybe, we can't "Make It Fair" to everyone in every situation.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #472
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

while i agree that they won't require a CC for booking FP+ in advance, i just don't see how FP+ with advance bookings can ever run smoothly given that just like with current FP, guests will miss or skip a FP time. I don't see how it can be fluid with transferring skipped FP+ attractions that have been booked in advance and then somehow dumped into the system for same day FP+? current FP works well and is simple, if they were simply replacing ticket scanning for means of obtaining FP and ticket collecting at attraction with technology that gives better real time management of crowds, that would be one thing....but i am really struggling with how advance FP+ bookings can ever really work.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #473
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

Nothing can always be fair, I agree. I think the current system is as close to fair as anyone can get 1) everyone who has a park ticket can get a FP. 2) Yes, people can choose to sleep in but they could get to the park early to get their FP's (we usually choose to sleep in so no judgement here but if we wanted a TSM FP that badly, we would get up. We choose to sleep) 3) It requires no real pre planning. You go the park, if you don't want to ride standby, you grab a FP.

And given how amazingly well the WDW website is working right now, just to make a meal reservation I don't have high hopes for FP+

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #474
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:

"It's Not Fair" that guests who show up early in the morning to a park get the best chance at coveted FastPasses.

So, let's design a NEW system that does not require guests to get up early in the morning during a vacation in order to get coveted FastPasses.

This NEW system will allow guests who pre-buy tickets and pre-plan trips to pre-book coveted FP's up to 60 days in advance.

But, some guests can't pre-buy tickets and pre-plan trips to pre-book coveted FP's up to 60 days in advance. "It's Not Fair."

So, let's design a NEW system that does not require guests to pre-buy tickets and pre-plan trips to pre-book coveted FP's up to 60 days in advance.

I'm thinking that we may be at or approaching the situation of blue paragraph above.

At some point, those who make the effort to UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM and plan accordingly will be ahead of the curve.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #475
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:

Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #476
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sounds like life!! Hard for some to admit that everything can't be fair for everyone! My family are planners and we will make the best of whichever system is in place. Our hope is that they would just leave the current FP system in place. But I spoke with a mom that has been to Disney with her family for the past 16 years and had NO IDEA anything about FP+. They will be heading back to Disney in only a few weeks and when I asked what her feelings were on FP+ she never even heard of it.

One of my concerns is just like people make ADRs and never show up, what about FP+'s people make and never show up. At what point will they put these FP+s back into the pool?? How can they put them back in the pool until your time has expired? You have until then to show up and they shouldn't be able to take them away until then. Maybe is they won't add those back into the pool. Maybe they will just look at it as a decrease in the SB wait time.

Another point, why does Disney think having prescheduled FP+ times will tie a family to a park any more than ADRs do/did?? Hasn't it been proven that people will make ADR's and never show up. It is the reason that some spots now take a CC to hold the ADR. How will they address this problem with FP+?? There is no way Disney could get away with requiring a CC to hold a FP+. The idea that people that aren't and will never be in the park for the day taking up "spots" in FP lines doesn't seem like a good thing for Disney. I wonder how those that have problems with RDers getting more FPs will feel when you have people that aren't even in the park taking some of those same FP+s? The difference between ADRs and FP+s is that ADRs don't have to be held for an hour. They can go ahead and seat the parties that are there. It is going to be much harder to give those FP+s that no one shows up for to anyone else!
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #477
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

But.. isn't "fair" the ancient "pre-FP" system where everybody stands in line?

Oh well, I've grown to really love the current ("old") FP system. Not sure I'm ready to learn the new one, but I suppose I will.
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #478
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing4PA View Post
But.. isn't "fair" the ancient "pre-FP" system where everybody stands in line?
It was unfair to those who arrived later... compared to the guests who arrived earlier.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #479
newdeal
DIS Veteran

All this will do is complicate peoples planning because at midnight all the TSM early fastpasses will be gone and then you will have to take a late time that may not be when you wanted to be in the park etc etc etc. The whole RFID system seems to actually take longer at the gates than the regular tickets did, although that could be just because it is new. I think Disney is headed in the wrong direction, people are going to be constantly staring at their smartphone during their trip which will take away the family atmosphere. Then after getting to the ride you want to do thanks to your smartphone you will stand in an interactive chaos, oh I mean que, where you can freak out as your kids run off and play and one parent has to track them down while the other stays in line wondering how you will find them as the line moves further and further away.
newdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #480
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post
I've been following along and reading all of these posts.... this entire FP+ system is mind boggling to me. Even if they manage to get it up and running, balancing the mixture of advance reservations with daily guests, I really don't understand how people are going to keep track of what passes they have and for what times if they don't have printed tickets?? There have been many times while inside WDW parks I haven't been able to get the MDE app to load on my iPhone, and the thoughts of kiosks around the park for people to check their times sounds like a nightmare. I am 100% in favor of wristbands to use for our tickets, room key, room charging, etc, I've been saying that for years because we always liked the ease of use at the Great Wolf Lodge resorts... but I can't wrap my brain around fast passes on a wristband. I don't see how it can run smoothly.
That's a good point. I'm always checking to see what our fastpass times are and I likely won't have a smart phone. I might just write it down but then you're back to slips of paper.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: