Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #451
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Kiosks or getting print-outs at GR seem like viable possibilities (though those of us planners who don't want to stand in line for such things will keep track of our FP+ on our own), but a MagicBand with a screen has never even been suggested as a viable option.
A screen would require a power source, which the MagicBand has, but drain that source quicker, and reducing the effective lifetime. It also would require storage and a processor, and some way to transfer the information to it - essentially making it a two-way system. The bands would be bulkier, more fragile, and more expensive.

By the time they could make them viable, they might have actually solve the in-park wi-fi problem. And then they could loan "display devices" to guests who need them to keep track. Think of all those tests they did with Nintendo DSis, and Android-based touchscreen devices (lobotomized phones) for and updated DisneyMagic application...they must be around somewhere still...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #452
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Everyone seems to be able to keep track of their ADRs just fine without a wristband, I'd imagine previously booked FPs will work in much the same way.
I agree except wasn't there talk of fastpasses being offered throughout the day based on interests and availability? That could be quite hard to keep up with without a smart phone.

Actually, based on reports it might be difficult to keep up with that WITH a smart phone.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #453
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I agree except wasn't there talk of fastpasses being offered throughout the day based on interests and availability? That could be quite hard to keep up with without a smart phone.

Actually, based on reports it might be difficult to keep up with that WITH a smart phone.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #454
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

Disney has specifically stated that it is based on your ticket, not where you stay, that gives you access.

The plan is that if you have you ticket in hand, you will be able to register the ticket ID with your profile, and be able to book advanced FP+. What limitations there will be beyond 60 days remains to be seen. This feature also isn't available yet and probably won't be for a while since they haven't really gotten any of it to work yet...

Those at a disadvantage will likely be those who wait to buy their tickets on site, or at least less than 60 days before their visit.
Like us... I suppose we could pay the extra $500 for our family to buy them here in advance instead of at the gate, but I don't even think early booking fastpasses would tempt me on that one! I guess maybe if reports suggest soarin and test track were fully pre booked before people arrived, but that's stratospherically unlikely since they will keep at least some, if not most, fastpasses on hand for the day I should think. I guess that would make me fall into the category of probably won't use in advance but hopes it won't affect my wait times too much on the day.

The fact they seem to have hoped to have them up and running by now worries me. Undisclosed issues? Or just the ones pointed out on here that were validated by early tests, like the app issues?

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #455
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
I guess maybe if reports suggest soarin and test track were fully pre booked before people arrived, but that's stratospherically unlikely since they will keep at least some, if not most, fastpasses on hand for the day I should think.
That really is the $64K question, isn't it?
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #456
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

That really is the $64K question, isn't it?
It really is, the ratio will be key. 10 prebooked to 90 on the day ideal, 25 to 75 okay I suppose, 50:50 not too horrendous I guess as long as they have plenty available overall, a free for all with 100% up for grabs to prebook beforehand would be painful.

Other Trips :

Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #457
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

Disney has specifically stated that it is based on your ticket, not where you stay, that gives you access.

The plan is that if you have you ticket in hand, you will be able to register the ticket ID with your profile, and be able to book advanced FP+. What limitations there will be beyond 60 days remains to be seen. This feature also isn't available yet and probably won't be for a while since they haven't really gotten any of it to work yet...

Those at a disadvantage will likely be those who wait to buy their tickets on site, or at least less than 60 days before their visit.
Never heard it about being about the tickets? Where did you hear that?

Being based in tickets doesn't seem right because your ticket doesn't guarantee when you will actually be there as tickets are not bought for a particular day.

I think the pre-booking is for resort guests only and all others will be day of. Just a guess but it makes the most sense. Think about it CMs and ther guests don't use tickets most of the time but many of us do stay on property. That also goes for people who book rooms but buy their tickets at the parks or through AAA or another resource.
wilkeliza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #458
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza

Being based in tickets doesn't seem right because your ticket doesn't guarantee when you will actually be there as tickets are not bought for a particular day.

I think the pre-booking is for resort guests only and all others will be day of. Just a guess but it makes the most sense. Think about it CMs and ther guests don't use tickets most of the time but many of us do stay on property. That also goes for people who book rooms but buy their tickets at the parks or through AAA or another resource.
It's in the terms and conditions posted on the web site.

How they will restrict it so MYW ticket holders don't just arbitrarily pre book FP+ for every day and not show up remains to be seen.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #459
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post

As Doc said, it's in the Terms & Conditions. Here's the actual wording from the Disney FastPass+ Section:
Quote:
  • Magic Your Way ticket holders and annual passholders may make FastPass+ selections beginning 60 days prior to day of use. The selection window may vary for other admission tickets.
  • Ticket holders holding passes or tickets with block-out dates may not make FastPass+ selections for any block-out date without the purchase of separate valid park admission and assigning that admission entitlement to their account.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/med...onditions.html
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #460
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

I would think they would be able to tie the prebookings to park entrance. They may have something in effect where you must be in the park a minimum of 60 min prior to your prebooked time or the reservation is cancelled and then put back in the system for availability to regular Fast Pass distribution. Or maybe prebookings must be tied to a credit card and no shows get charged a fee
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #461
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gitman View Post
I would think they would be able to tie the prebookings to park entrance. They may have something in effect where you must be in the park a minimum of 60 min prior to your prebooked time or the reservation is cancelled and then put back in the system for availability to regular Fast Pass distribution. Or maybe prebookings must be tied to a credit card and no shows get charged a fee
Disney is not going to require a CC to book FastPass+. There is no mention of that in the T&C and something like that needs to be disclosed if they are going to do it.

Also in the T&C:
Quote:
All FastPass+ selections, whether arranged by you or a Connected Friend, expire at the end of the day for which they were confirmed. Unused and expired selections count toward the FastPass+ experience limit for the day.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #462
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

The easiest way is definitely tickets. It's the one thing that remains constant throughout a stay really. Hotels can change, but tickets are usually the same ones throughout.

Plus it would include ap and offsite guests, as well as any groups that might happen to be staying at different resorts should they want to link accounts to one person.

Based on that info, I'd say tickets will be what fastpass+ reservations link to.

Other Trips :

Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #463
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

As more Dissers start to calculate the scope of this new scheme, the immense complexities become
more clear.

The entire idea of attempting to allow (some would say "require") tens of thousands (millions?) of guests (60-90% without prior WDW experience) in groups of various sizes from 1 to 25 (or more,) to make "Advance Attraction Reservations" (AAR's) at least 2 months in advance, at 4 different theme parks with dozens of attractions (including shows, parades and fireworks events) at "exact" hours (minutes?)... borders on lunacy.

Thousands of FP+ "AAR's" booked (removed from the pool) but never used.
By guests who don't show up.

Fixes!
We need more fixes!

Last edited by Robo; 05-21-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: First line of message got clipped.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #464
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gitman View Post
There's no reason for Disney to guarantee the FP+ reservations the way they do an ADR. If someone no-shows on an ADR, that's costing Disney money. The same isn't true with a FP+ The holder of that reservation just misses their ride, so everyone behind them moves up a spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
more clear.

The entire idea of attempting to allow (some would say "require") tens of thousands (millions?) of guests (60-90% without prior WDW experience) in groups of various sizes from 1 to 25 (or more,) to make "Advance Attraction Reservations" (AAR's) at least 2 months in advance, at 4 different theme parks with dozens of attractions (including shows, parades and fireworks events) at "exact" hours (minutes?)... borders on lunacy.

Fixes!
We need more fixes!
Robo, I think you (as per usual) have hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of people who come and go from their first Disney trip and never use FP because they don't understand the system. There are far too many first timers who will never know they should check in 60 days out so they can pick ride reservations for their trip.

Maybe there's some super-secret portion of Disney's plan that will magically solve all the problems and issues people have raised since the program was first vaguely described. But I have a hard time believing Disney has that kind of magic up its sleeve.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #465
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
more clear.

Fixes!
We need more fixes!
I agree!! LOL
And if they ever tie FP+ to a cc with a no show fee like a pp suggested - then it's 'peace out' for me.

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: