Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #376
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelca View Post
Seems like everyone has missed the worst part of all about the bands...

Big ol' thick tan line on your wrist.
Wear it around a belt loop or bag strap instead
AngiTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #377
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
I wonder how this will work for AP's. We only purchase our AP's on the night we arrive so we wouldn't be able to "pre-book" the wrist band and we would NOT want grey!
This may be the biggest mistake of the whole MagicBands plan. Lots of people don't plan ahead or won't know they need to log in and make selections. People will HATE being forced to take gray, no matter what silly word you put in front of it.

Wait, I have a solution! Offer this amazing array of choices with one easy to stock part number.

Dumbo Gray
Thumper Gray
Tramp Dog Gray
Notre Dame Gargoyle Gray

you get the idea...

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #378
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill

This may be the biggest mistake of the whole MagicBands plan. Lots of people don't plan ahead or won't know they need to log in and make selections. People will HATE being forced to take gray, no matter what silly word you put in front of it.

Wait, I have a solution! Offer this amazing array of choices with one easy to stock part number.

Dumbo Gray
Thumper Gray
Tramp Dog Gray
Notre Dame Gargoyle Gray

you get the idea...
I thought you could buy one once you are there? If you don't like grey just buy a different color.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #379
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I thought you could buy one once you are there? If you don't like grey just buy a different color.
Yes and considering how terrible the current system is when you have to go from one Key to the World card to another during a single stay, I don't have much hope for the "upgrade your band" process.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #380
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Yes and considering how terrible the current system is when you have to go from one Key to the World card to another during a single stay, I don't have much hope for the "upgrade your band" process.
I've never had any problem upgrading my KTTW card (adding days, transferring stuff from one card to another). I HAVE had issues with the RFID room doors. Got to my room at midnight on our arrival day and our room key wouldn't work. Front desk fixed it.

Or one could continue to moan about ugly colors and tan lines. Whatever floats your boat. For me, the thing I DON'T have a problem with is the bands as far as MyMagic+ is concerned.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #381
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Before your trip, you will have the option to select from a few colors. This will be done using the My Disney Experience website/app. The bands are then mailed to you.

Reports of designer bands have become strong over the past few months. It's no telling when those will be sold though. I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not someone who doesn't select a color in time for it to be mailed can switch it out at guest services. Only time will tell.

Here's a recent article about the timeline...

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/05/17/f...gic-magicband/

Here are some pics of the color choices...

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #382
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

So when the timeline mentions needing to choose your colors within a certain day before your arrival that's only once this is full force live, right? We leave in 3 weeks and I'd love to choose a color, but I'm guessing this wont be an option for us that early?
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #383
Z28KatCar
"A wish is a dream your heart makes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
So when the timeline mentions needing to choose your colors within a certain day before your arrival that's only once this is full force live, right? We leave in 3 weeks and I'd love to choose a color, but I'm guessing this wont be an option for us that early?
No, they are not using the Magic Bands, yet. Right now it appears that they are testing the FP+ system. You might get a chance to test out the system

1974-1992 off site 2x/yr!, 1989-1992 Participant in the Candlelight procession ,1995 ASMV, 1997 AS, 1999 POFQ, 2003 Day Trip, 2010~2 wks ASMo, 2013~2 wks WL CL
Z28KatCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #384
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
It will probably be a while before non-resort/AP guests will get to get MagicBands (heck, we don't even know when ANYONE will yet), but from the sounds of it, they will only keep gray ones on hand.

As for purchasing designer bands, Disney hasn't said much about that at all lately. I think they want to get the basics done first before they start worrying about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
It's a choice once they make it available to whoever they make it available to. No idea whether it will be before it's fully out or not. I suspect it will be available to a subset of guest at some point before it's 100% available. But it is extremely doubtful MagicBands will be available to any guests in three weeks.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #385
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

We are planning a trip for next year, sometime around June or July, staying offsite and purchasing tickets at the gate (exchange rate, they are the equivalent of over $400 each here) so... I'm not sure how this would work for us.

Maybe we won't even have access yet when we go, its all up in the air. I hope you can book fastpasses on the day, also none of our family would be inclined to take an expensive smartphone with us into the parks (only one of us own one anyway). I've heard of the kiosks, so it looks like that would be our only option there. I do hope all the headliners won't be booked out on the day... I imagine they would only allow so many fastpasses to be allocated early with the rest on the day, otherwise many who don't prebook will wait longer and spend less... Seems sensible to keep at least half the fastpasses back for on the day.

I will just have to keep an eye on things it seems. Saying that, I just realised we don't do sit in meals or many parades unless we pass them, so I will probably just mentally assign that 15mins extra we waited for btmrr or whatever if the fastpasses were used up as time we'd have been waiting somewhere else if we had done sit in meals or something.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-18-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #386
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

First world problems
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #387
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee View Post
First world problems
That seems like an odd comment here.

. It's the DIS boards. Everything regarding Disney is a First World Problem.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #388
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28KatCar View Post
No, they are not using the Magic Bands, yet. Right now it appears that they are testing the FP+ system. You might get a chance to test out the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
It will probably be a while before non-resort/AP guests will get to get MagicBands (heck, we don't even know when ANYONE will yet), but from the sounds of it, they will only keep gray ones on hand.

As for purchasing designer bands, Disney hasn't said much about that at all lately. I think they want to get the basics done first before they start worrying about that.

It's a choice once they make it available to whoever they make it available to. No idea whether it will be before it's fully out or not. I suspect it will be available to a subset of guest at some point before it's 100% available. But it is extremely doubtful MagicBands will be available to any guests in three weeks.
Thanks! This is what I figured. I know the RFID cards are in effect, so I thought maybe they'd have the option of using the bracelets without FP+ being in effect (just using them to charge, access your room, etc...) It would be SO COOL to be one of the testers!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #389
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post

That seems like an odd comment here.

. It's the DIS boards. Everything regarding Disney is a First World Problem.
Yes but people have to make comments like that to make themselves feel like they're better than other people because of course nothing they ever worry about could be considered a "first world problem".

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #390
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

I'd like to be so laid back tbh, I think I'm doing my parents in with debate over this. They don't mind waiting in standby if this doesn't work for us, so I'm stressing over nothing but I can't help myself!

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: