Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #346
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
Perhaps at your resort or at the parks you will have the opportunity to obtain a "charm" that would unique to you and your personality that could be attached to your band to help distinguish it form others ... for a nominal fee of course
The article did speculate Jibbitz may be available at some point for the bands, like they are now for Crocs.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #347
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Standard safety advice is not to have your child's name visible to the public on any item of clothing or jewelry. Otherwise, someone who doesn't know your child can walk up and start talking to them using their name, and easily convince your child that they are a family friend.

Honestly, even as an adult, I wouldn't particularly care to be displaying my real name to the entire world. I don't want strangers calling me by my first name like they know me. (But that may be because I have an LD that affects my ability to recognize faces, so I rely on the cues people give me - like them knowing my name - to determine whether I know them or not.)
My kid knew better by the time she was in K. I don't see the whole "no names on clothes" thing as really doing anything. All a stranger has to do is listen for a couple of minutes to learn a kid's name.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #348
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
to perhaps do more hanging out at the resort and resort hopping and such things. Unless I'm missing something (which is possible since we still only have limited knowledge) this might just free up more time.
Exactly for us. No deadline on FP distribution anymore.

:

Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #349
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBerry View Post
Children shouldn't be left alone if they are unable to recognize a stranger from a "family friend" at WDW.
You know what? Young children get lost.

Also, it's easier than you think to confuse even an older child. A friend of mine was taken off guard when a vendor at a fair offered her a patch with her name on it. She was 12 and trying to figure how she was supposed to know him, when he started chatting with her in a friendly way. It wasn't until he pointed at the nametag on her shirt and started laughing that she realized she'd been fooled.

But of course, you're absolutely free to do as you choose. I let my kids walk to the library alone when they were 9 and 11 and I'm sure that would give some parents heart attacks.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #350
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Standard safety advice is not to have your child's name visible to the public on any item of clothing or jewelry. Otherwise, someone who doesn't know your child can walk up and start talking to them using their name, and easily convince your child that they are a family friend.
LOL.... All it would take is 5 min of watching me in the park to learn DGD's name. I have to say is 1000 times an hour.
AngiTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #351
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
LOL.... All it would take is 5 min of watching me in the park to learn DGD's name. I have to say is 1000 times an hour.
But what it comes down to is that the reason Disney would have the name on the inside of the band is because of this standard safety advice, whether or not it's ultimately helpful. Disney would never want to be accused of putting children at risk, so it makes sense for the name to go on the inside.

And the name on the inside is still cool, as kids love knowing something's theirs and theirs alone. Or as they say in the schoolyard: "How do you know its yours? Is your NAME on it?"
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #352
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
FYI This link also says that the information that started this thread (that FP+ is already live in the parks) is incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Thompson | May 17, 2013
A few days ago, a DISboards thread announced that MagicBands and the upcoming FastPass+ system has been released for guest testing in the parks. We have heard from a source that this is not correct, and that the MagicBands and other MyMagic+ features will begin testing next week for Cast Members and their guests only. We are also hearing that this test will most likely be open to only ‘higher up’ Cast Members in management roles. If all goes well with this test however, it is reasonable to expect a wider test base including guests maybe even by summer of this year.
Quote:
I suspect that OP made a lot of this up and has been stringing people along for several dozen posts.
I'm not sure why this thread was started.
So much bad info floating around and, I don't know who to believe.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #353
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
FYI This link also says that the information that started this thread (that FP+ is already live in the parks) is incorrect. I suspect that OP made a lot of this up and has been stringing people along for several dozen posts.

I smell a rat, and it's name is not Mickey!
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #354
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think until official word comes out you can't fully believe anything.

One may could say that OP was right, in a round about way.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Thompson | May 17, 2013
A few days ago, a DISboards thread announced that MagicBands and the upcoming FastPass+ system has been released for guest testing in the parks. We have heard from a source that this is not correct, and that the MagicBands and other MyMagic+ features will begin testing next week for Cast Members and their guests only. We are also hearing that this test will most likely be open to only higher up Cast Members in management roles. If all goes well with this test however, it is reasonable to expect a wider test base including guests maybe even by summer of this year.
May well end up being about 100 guests throughout all the parks on a day.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #355
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN

I think until official word comes out you can't fully believe anything.

One may could say that OP was right, in a round about way.
This

May well end up being about 100 guests throughout all the parks on a day.
Yes, the CM test is next week. But OP maintains that his reported test is occurring now. A fact many of us felt a little dubious when OP started the thread.

Not to mention WDW info has refuted it in that blog post.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #356
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Yes, the CM test is next week. But OP maintains that his reported test is occurring now. A fact many of us felt a little dubious when OP started the thread.

Not to mention WDW info has refuted it in that blog post.
Maybe OP just got the info given them a tad mixed up and felt embarrassed when it was discovered? I can see how if you didn't write it down you could mix up the start date and exactly who is getting to test it. The info was close, even if wrong. Just giving the OP the benefit of the doubt I guess.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #357
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

I got my Disney Files magazine today for DVC and there was an insert about My Disney Experience. It says FastPass+ will be coming "later this year". We are going at the end of July so it's doubtful it will be up and running before then
Old 05-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #358
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
No one?
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #359
brizzer79
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
My kid knew better by the time she was in K. I don't see the whole "no names on clothes" thing as really doing anything. All a stranger has to do is listen for a couple of minutes to learn a kid's name.
I agree... although with my kid I am sure they would think her name was "NoAbbey"

CBR 1991 ~ Contemporary 1997 ~ Off Site 2002 ~ CBR 2007 ~ Fort Wilderness Campsites 2010 ~ POFQ 2013
brizzer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #360
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML_LovesDisney View Post
I got my Disney Files magazine today for DVC and there was an insert about My Disney Experience. It says FastPass+ will be coming "later this year". We are going at the end of July so it's doubtful it will be up and running before then
The Mickey Monitor said the same thing.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: