Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #331
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBerry View Post
According to the link, your name goes on the back of the band, the part that sits on your skin. I was thinking it would be on the front, like a fun ID bracelet for kids to wear with their first names. Other than the possibility of having it returned to you if lost, I don't see the appeal of having your name on the band if no one sees it.

"Iconic Gray"? LOL I guess just "grey" was too boring.
I don't think it was meant as decoration, but for knowing whose is whose, especially if someone wants the same color as someone else. I don't think 9-10 characters is going to get a lost band returned to you any easier than a quick scan of the band and your whole profile coming up.

The often hinted at upsell bands may offer customizations on the outside, but those still seem a ways off.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #332
bleeps
DIS Veteran

And meanwhile I'm laughing because we always bemoan the lack of quality merchandise available these days at the parks and resorts -- we literally come home with the money that we'd brought to buy things because we can't find anything of decent-enough quality to buy!

Sigh.

Like everyone else, just kind of sitting and waiting and watching. We head down in 21 days (yipee!) and are eager to know what system(s) we'll be working with. I appreciate having the forum for ideas and even the little wisps of information because frankly, it beats working

WDW once a year since 2003!
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #333
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I don't think it was meant as decoration, but for knowing whose is whose, especially if someone wants the same color as someone else. I don't think 9-10 characters is going to get a lost band returned to you any easier than a quick scan of the band and your whole profile coming up.

The often hinted at upsell bands may offer customizations on the outside, but those still seem a ways off.
I was thinking the customization would be different. Knowing whose is whose with names printed on the back does make sense.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #334
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Looks like some MagicBands are indeed in the wild - and some more details about colors and selection:

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/05/17/f...gic-magicband/

Some interesting details:

- You must choose a color at least 5 days in advance. Less than 5 days everyone gets "Iconic Gray" (was to sensationalize a boring color there...)

- If you do it at least 10 days out, they can be shipped to you. I'm betting there is an upcharge for that.

- You can get your name (9-10 characters) printed on the band - I'm going to assume that likewise has to be done in advance. No idea on an upcharge.
The link also states :

"... MagicBands and other MyMagic+ features will begin TESTING... For Cast Members and their guests ONLY.... most likely be open to only 'higher up' Cast Members in management roles... "
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #335
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

forgive me if this has been discussed but i can't read all 19 pages of this thread...but is there any indication of what will be in place to keep track of return times? is it expected that you will have a paper ticket like current FP? or will it be up to the guest to keep track of attractions and return times utilizing their own methods?
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #336
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gitman View Post
forgive me if this has been discussed but i can't read all 19 pages of this thread...but is there any indication of what will be in place to keep track of return times? is it expected that you will have a paper ticket like current FP? or will it be up to the guest to keep track of attractions and return times utilizing their own methods?
Pretty much up to the guest and whatever electronic gizmos they may or may not have.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #337
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
According to the link, your name goes on the back of the band, the part that sits on your skin. I was thinking it would be on the front, like a fun ID bracelet for kids to wear with their first names. Other than the possibility of having it returned to you if lost, I don't see the appeal of having your name on the band if no one sees it.

"Iconic Gray"? LOL I guess just "grey" was too boring.
Standard safety advice is not to have your child's name visible to the public on any item of clothing or jewelry. Otherwise, someone who doesn't know your child can walk up and start talking to them using their name, and easily convince your child that they are a family friend.

Honestly, even as an adult, I wouldn't particularly care to be displaying my real name to the entire world. I don't want strangers calling me by my first name like they know me. (But that may be because I have an LD that affects my ability to recognize faces, so I rely on the cues people give me - like them knowing my name - to determine whether I know them or not.)
Magpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #338
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Standard safety advice is not to have your child's name visible to the public on any item of clothing or jewelry. Otherwise, someone who doesn't know your child can walk up and start talking to them using their name, and easily convince your child that they are a family friend.

Honestly, even as an adult, I wouldn't particularly care to be displaying my real name to the entire world. I don't want strangers calling me by my first name like they know me. (But that may be because I have an LD that affects my ability to recognize faces, so I rely on the cues people give me - like them knowing my name - to determine whether I know them or not.)
That is fine for you. I feel differently about it for myself and my child.

If your child isn't old enough to realize a stranger isn't a family friend, they shouldn't be left alone.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #339
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
That is fine for you. I feel differently about it for myself and my child.

If your child isn't old enough to realize a stranger isn't a family friend, they shouldn't be left alone.
"Hi Stacy! Your mom's been in a terrible accident. Come with me and my litter of puppies and kittens, and we'll take you to her in our white van filled with candy."
Magpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #340
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Looks like some MagicBands are indeed in the wild - and some more details about colors and selection:

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/05/17/f...gic-magicband/

Some interesting details:

- You must choose a color at least 5 days in advance. Less than 5 days everyone gets "Iconic Gray" (was to sensationalize a boring color there...)

- If you do it at least 10 days out, they can be shipped to you. I'm betting there is an upcharge for that.

- You can get your name (9-10 characters) printed on the band - I'm going to assume that likewise has to be done in advance. No idea on an upcharge.
FYI This link also says that the information that started this thread (that FP+ is already live in the parks) is incorrect. I suspect that OP made a lot of this up and has been stringing people along for several dozen posts.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #341
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post

FYI This link also says that the information that started this thread (that FP+ is already live in the parks) is incorrect. I suspect that OP made a lot of this up and has been stringing people along for several dozen posts.
I heard that AP holders will be limited to 20 FP+ per quarter.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #342
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
"Hi Stacy! Your mom's been in a terrible accident. Come with me and my litter of puppies and kittens, and we'll take you to her in our white van filled with candy."
Children shouldn't be left alone if they are unable to recognize a stranger from a "family friend" at WDW.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #343
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
I was thinking the customization would be different. Knowing whose is whose with names printed on the back does make sense.
Agreed-take them off at night and toss them on the counter. Wake up and anyone with the same color would know which they need.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #344
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
Agreed-take them off at night and toss them on the counter. Wake up and anyone with the same color would know which they need.
How that will work for the family of 8 who didn't choose their colors ahead of time and all have the "Iconic Gray" remains to be seen
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #345
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How that will work for the family of 8 who didn't choose their colors ahead of time and all have the "Iconic Gray" remains to be seen
Perhaps at your resort or at the parks you will have the opportunity to obtain a "charm" that would unique to you and your personality that could be attached to your band to help distinguish it form others ... for a nominal fee of course

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
**NOW COMPLETE!** Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: